The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #426
unholyrevenger

Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
There's really not any of that in Justice League or Batman v Superman.
It's like you didn't even watch the movies

unholyrevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #427
MbJ
Side-Kick

It's kind of bizarre how fixated they seemingly are on Affleck. Affleck gave a great performance in Batman v. Superman (especially given the material he had to work with) but it's not like the audience would freak out if he were let go. This isn't like RDJ in Iron Man. I know they don't want the bad PR of Affleck quitting but it's time to let that dream go, Warner.

Last edited by MbJ; Today at 12:16 AM.
MbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #428
MaceB
Side-Kick

This is truly a disaster. Rather than being excited for new movies to explore the characters.... folks are now talking about reboots, and there is, I think, a universal disappointment sinking in on what we've had so far.
Meanwhile, what we've had so far has become somewhat consequential. We're \ left with the unbearable choice of losing a decade of work and starting over (with some great casted roles you wouldn't want to lose), or just trying to ignore the bad parts and rewrite as we go.
Either way, this all could have been solved with a little forethought and a little confidence in the source material. The blueprint has already been set, the story points already written, and WB couldn't do the simple thing of replicating what Disney is now doing every year with ease.
We all know the reason why... because Warner Brothers doesn't understand the material and has, from the beginning, been highly reactive, overly reactive, and driven by marketing concerns first and foremost. They don't want to make great films with America's most iconic heroes. They want to make candy movies for kids of...."what age again? ... oh I dunno, youngish probably." :-\
They don't know their audience. They don't know the source material. They don't know how to stick with their creative team. They don't see value in the long term investment... only the short term gain. I am truly flabbergasted at how poorly this has been mismanaged. They simply needed to bring the animated cartoons to life for God's sakes. I never would have imagined we'd be in this poor of a position when MOS came out. Woa.

Last edited by MaceB; Today at 12:11 AM.
MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #429
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
It's kind of bizarre how fixated they seemingly are on Affleck. Affleck gave a great performance in Batman v. Superman (especially given the material he had to work with) but it's not like the audience would freak out if he were let go. This isn't like RDJ in Iron Man. I know they don't want the bad PR of Affleck quitting but it's time to let that dream go, Warner.
Yeah. Then again, he was their golden boy and they thought he would have the same box office clout as a RDJ. The reality was, if they wanted the kind of money and interest they were looking for, the only actor they could have gotten was... Christian Bale.

While fanboys eventually warmed on the idea of Affleck as Batman, the GA never did. They wanted to see Bale's Batman.

If they had the same BvS script , it would still be bad even with Bale, but as far as interest go, I think i'd be hard to deny that Bale's BvS would have generated a heck of alot more public interest and hype than with Affleck.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #430
MaceB
Side-Kick

Almost anyone would have generated more buzz than Affleck. He's wrong for the role. He did an admirable job, all things considered... but they chose him, knowing that there were dozens of actors more physically and temperamentally right for the role of Batman. WB doesn't care about making good comic book movies. They care about cashing in.

MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #431
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
Almost anyone would have generated more buzz than Affleck. He's wrong for the role. He did an admirable job, all things considered... but they chose him, knowing that there were dozens of actors more physically and temperamentally right for the role of Batman. WB doesn't care about making good comic book movies. They care about cashing in.
Well, I never bought the idea of Affleck as Batman. I know he's popular with fanboys , but I could never believe he was Batman. He was always Ben Affleck in a Batman costume as opposed to Bruce Wayne. Henry Cavill is Clark Kent and Gal Gadot is Diana Prince, But Ben Affleck felt like Ben Affleck dressed up as Batman.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:38 PM   #432
KillerPool

^Agreed. Its almost like he just played a grumpy version of himself.

KillerPool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #433
Limonade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Well, I never bought the idea of Affleck as Batman. I know he's popular with fanboys , but I could never believe he was Batman. He was always Ben Affleck in a Batman costume as opposed to Bruce Wayne. Henry Cavill is Clark Kent and Gal Gadot is Diana Prince, But Ben Affleck felt like Ben Affleck dressed up as Batman.
Yeah. Agreed. But it's mainly because, I've seen so much of Ben Affleck in big movies in the nearly 2 decades he's been doing movies.

It's the same reason why Tom Cruise in any role other than Les Grossman or the vampire Lestat... I'm completely taken away from the movie, because he plays different versions of Tom Cruise.

Even with Suicide Squad, a big name like Will Smith--it sort of came with certain Will Smith-esque expectations... which he delivered... but did he really play a true comic version of Deadshot? Probably not.

Limonade is online now   Reply With Quote