The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Default Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires

This has just become one of my most anticipated movies coming up:

There's a 15-minute short feat. the same character on Youtube, but I can't link it due to language.

If you're a fan of 1980s action cinema, you should definitely watch it!!

The visual style is extremely influenced by John McTiernan's works.

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Dave McFly
Batman don't play

Default Re: Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires

I saw the 15 min short kind of like an R rated Wallace and Grommet type story.

PSN ID: davemcfly85
XBOX ID: davemcfly85
Dave McFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

There are times were it felt like it was people in costumes instead of stop motion.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
I saw the 15 min short kind of like an R rated Wallace and Grommet type story.
Yeah, it is.
And it's a great testament to 1980s action cinema and especially John McTiernan's visual style, with the lens flares, etc. And in the end they also managed to slip a nice nod to John Carpenter and especially 'The Thing' in there. Can't wait to see the feature film.
The interesting thing is that he actually studied the way those movies were directed, and made it as if it were an actual 1980s action movie.
'Night of the Trampires' is said to be mainly inspired by 'Die Hard,' 'Evil Dead 2,' 'Fright Night,' 'The Last Boy Scout' and Ray Harryhausen flicks. Sounds good to me!

Quote:
There are times were it felt like it was people in costumes instead of stop motion.
Yeah, the stop motion animation is incredible. And for both the short AND the feature film they made a strict decision not to use ANY CGI.

Review:

Quote:
If Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger were all 12 years old again and given an unlimited supply of toys, latex, corn syrup and blatantly corny dialogue, the result could be something like Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires.

A gonzo stop-action throwback to the best and worst of ‘80s shoot-'em-ups, this not-safe-for-children animated feature from writer/director/producer Mike Mort has cult potential written all over it, even if it can sometimes be too trashy for its own good. Made on a purported $20 million budget, with oodles of intricately crafted, extremely gory set pieces, it’s sort of like Team America: World Police without any political context, paying satiric homage to the oeuvre of Cannon Films and other B-grade studios. After a world premiere in Annecy, France, Chuck could find slots in midnight programs, although its VHS-ready aesthetic will make it most watchable on the small screen.

Chock-full of snappy one-liners and ultraviolent action, the story follows badass buffed-up cop Chuck Steel (voiced by Mort) on his mission to thwart an invasion of the titular Trampires — which are not, as one would suspect, prostitutes with fangs, but homeless people with a dual thirst for blood and alcohol. A dumbed-down version of Die Hard’s John McClane or Stallone in Cobra, Steel uses his fists way more than his brains, busting heads — or nuts, in a recurring gag involving smashed testicles — as he tries to save his city from oblivion. He’s aided in his quest by Trampire hunter Abraham Van Rental, whose name joins a host of other goofy monikers such as Captain Jack Schitt or Steel’s temporary Swedish partner, Ingrid Klutz.

There's an undeniably childish quality to a lot of the humor here, and the film's seventh-grade antics can grow a bit tiresome as Mort doubles down on the sexism and penis jokes, even if such jokes are meant to ironically reflect the macho attitudes of Reagan-age action heroes. Yet when Steel’s ex-girlfriend and Achilles' heel, Lucy (Samantha Coughlan), refers to the killer cop at one point as a “misogynistic Neanderthal *******,” you can only agree with her, and as much as it’s fun to watch the meathead in action for a few reels, doing so for an entire feature is another story.

But if you’re willing to just sit back and enjoy all the nods, winks and over-the-top violence, Chuck Steel is a rather fun ride, with Mort and his animation team faithfully re-creating the slick and sleazy aesthetics of bargain-bin action and horror flicks. Production designer Bridget Phelan does a particularly good job with the decors, channeling an L.A.-on-angel-dust vibe filled with smoky alleyways, neon lights and skyscrapers at night. All the animated gore is also impressive, with every blood splatter, decapitation and dismemberment hitting you right in the guts. A certified cheesy soundtrack by Joris de Man further sets the pace, with one song accompanying a vintage montage sequence that would make Steven Seagal or Jean-Claude Van Damme proud.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...review-1120846

There's one thing I frankly disagree with in this review even without having seen the movie. "VHS-ready aesthetic"? Judging from the trailer the cinematography looks slick as hell!

Last edited by -JKR-; 06-19-2018 at 08:15 AM.
-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
MadderMaximus
Graveslinger

Yes. I'm in.

MadderMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Oh yes!

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote