The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old Today, 12:16 AM   #251
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
This is where I disagree to a point. I do think audiences watch these movies, they watch them all the time. The important detail to note is that they no longer watch them in theaters as often. They watch them at home and on streaming services all the time.

And this goes back to the monetary point I was making. Back in the 70's, movies were much more inexpensive to the average ticket buyer. As I said a few posts back, it was a normal thing for kids to spend an entire day at the movie theatre. But today? If you wanted to watch three movies and bought food for yourself during the day you're probably dropping 100 bucks.

Because of that change in cost, people now feel like they need something to justify seeing a film on the big screen. You need to justify paying for that 20 dollar ticket and 8 dollar popcorn...especially when many people now have 60 inch televisions in their home.

And the thing that will make them feel like they're getting their money's worth is a big visual spectacle.

So while these types of films may not do gangbusters anymore in the cinema (or as much, because some still do very well), I disagree that audiences are not watching them. They're just not watching them in what is quickly becoming an outdated format of consuming media.
That may be true, and I am inclined to mostly agree with you. It's just that box office dollars dictate what kind of movies gets made. So the priority is franchises, brands, and spectacle because that's what audiences want.

I guess I all I can say to you is that we're on the same page, I just think it is hurting cinema. Maybe once theaters do peter out (or blockbusters implode), things might change? After all, the reason the '70s and late '60s are considered a "golden age" is because the current studio model of the previous 40 years collapsed in about a half decade.

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote