The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #126
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Default Re: The Official God of War Thread - Part 1

Oh, nice. At least we know when we'll be getting some news.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #127
Spidey17
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
Well, at least I hope there's more to his personality in this game than rage. If it's a prequel, then it is a good opportunity to explore that.
Maybe it'll be set before the murder of his family, since the trailer talks about a time when he wasn't known as the Ghost of Sparta.

Also, I got a feeling that we'll not be seeing his blades. Perhaps they want to try something new.
I see this sequel as being right after the barbarian battle where Kratos sold his soul, and right before he kills his family so the BoC are definitely in.

If one of the PSP games was between 1 and 2, when was the other game set in the timeline?

EDIT: Now I remember, it was right before 1, when Kratos was errand boy for all of the gods after he became the Ghost of Sparta.

Last edited by Spidey17; 04-19-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #128
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Ghost of Sparta was set after the events of the first game and before the events of the second.

I think it's safe to say that the final cinematic of GOWI is also set after the events of GoS.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #129
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
Well, at least I hope there's more to his personality in this game than rage. If it's a prequel, then it is a good opportunity to explore that.
Maybe it'll be set before the murder of his family, since the trailer talks about a time when he wasn't known as the Ghost of Sparta.

Also, I got a feeling that we'll not be seeing his blades. Perhaps they want to try something new.
I agree with that. By the end of GoW III i was SICK of Kratos. Id go so far as to say i hated the character. I never wanted a main character in a game to die as much as i did with Kratos. Hopefully by going back before the events of the game we can see a new side of the character.

Still think this is a unnecessary sequel/prequel tho.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #130
badgrammar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
I agree with that. By the end of GoW III i was SICK of Kratos. Id go so far as to say i hated the character. I never wanted a main character in a game to die as much as i did with Kratos. Hopefully by going back before the events of the game we can see a new side of the character.

Why did you hated him?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #131
terry78
I don't die, fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgrammar View Post
Why did you hated him?
I'm sorry, I'm looking at your screen name and assuming the above is a running gag and cracking up. If it's not, I apologize.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #132
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post

I hated him too. He was an awful protagonist in GoW3

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #133
Benstamania
Go away.

Yup, agreed.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #134
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgrammar View Post
Why did you hated him?
How do I put this? Kratos is kind of a terrible person.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #135
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
How do I put this? Kratos is kind of a terrible person.
Haha, thats the most simple way to put it. There was NO rooting value in Kratos. I didnt feel anything he was donig in GoW3 was justified. Raging around and killing the gods just made him come across very unsympathetic. I thought there was a bit more balance to him in the first two games but he was just too much of a prick in the last one

Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #136
NasFiasco
Side-Kick

While I agree that Kratos is not the most likeable character and can understand why some might feel he's stale-including myself. GOW 3 was still incredibly fun to play and is top 5of my all time favorite games for the next gen consoles.

I'm concerned about where Santa Monica will be taking the story, primarily how they'll handle boss fights and such, but they've released 3 incredibly good games and I think the development team is very talented and have made consistent quality products. I think they'll take all of the concerns of the fans into consideration and do something somewhat new/creative with Kratos and his storyline; we should give Santa Monica more credit. I am very much looking forward to this game

Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #137
Marvolo
Side-Kick

I didn't play GOW cause I wanted to like Kratos. I played it because I wanted to kill some gods and tear **** up. Lol, these games are not meant to be a character study.

Besides none of the Greek gods were redeemable. They were egotistic, mysoginistic, power hungry, murderous, spiteful etc. So what if Kratos is pissed off. Most people in the world who believe in a God get upset at that God when they lose a loved one. Imagine if you had proof said god was responsible for your loved one's death, and you could kill the bastard for it. Don't tell me you wouldn't try. Especially if it was Ares who was responsible. Ares is probably the worst out of all the gods in the pantheon. Kratos was selfish a lot of times, but the gods had it coming.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #138
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

Yea I agree with him for the most part, I didn't really care about liking kratos or not by the end of God of war 2, I played these games to kill things in epic ways, knowing I was playing as a rage fueled maniac, not a hero to be sympathized or liked, so when I killed some random innocent in the game, I really didn't care, I do hope they change the gameplay up a.bit tho, time for something different

Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #139
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalinferno View Post
I really didn't care, I do hope they change the gameplay up a.bit tho, time for something different
IA but I dont think we'll see that here. 5 straight games of pretty much the same gameplay, not adding much or deviating too far from the first game. GoW got stale for me

Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #140
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

That's also why I have the feeling that we won't be using the blades. To change the gameplay. Bring something new.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #141
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I didn't play GOW cause I wanted to like Kratos. I played it because I wanted to kill some gods and tear **** up. Lol, these games are not meant to be a character study.

Besides none of the Greek gods were redeemable. They were egotistic, mysoginistic, power hungry, murderous, spiteful etc. So what if Kratos is pissed off. Most people in the world who believe in a God get upset at that God when they lose a loved one. Imagine if you had proof said god was responsible for your loved one's death, and you could kill the bastard for it. Don't tell me you wouldn't try. Especially if it was Ares who was responsible. Ares is probably the worst out of all the gods in the pantheon. Kratos was selfish a lot of times, but the gods had it coming.
The problem is Kratos started out as a sympathetic and tragic character. Then he just degenerated into a physical manifestation of roid rage with no personality whatsoever. This made the rehashed plot (betrayal, death, revenge) and gameplay more apparent so by the 3rd game, you're just going through the motions to beat it.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #142
Superhero 101
DESI

Well we knew going into the game that Kratos was pretty pissed off from the events of GOW II (and Ghost of Sparta if you played it) so i didn't expect much for characterization/sympathy for Kratos you knew he was pissed off and is ready to kill a whole bunch of people and that's exactly what we got. And i was very happy with the game.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #143
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

And even in the first game kratos was unreasonably cruel and bloodthirsty, still had no regard for innocents

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #144
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Haha, thats the most simple way to put it. There was NO rooting value in Kratos. I didnt feel anything he was donig in GoW3 was justified. Raging around and killing the gods just made him come across very unsympathetic. I thought there was a bit more balance to him in the first two games but he was just too much of a prick in the last one
I'm fine with him raging around and killing the Gods. Modern portrayals of the Greek gods haven't exactly made them the most likeable of characters to begin with. Comics like Wonder Woman and the Incredible Hercules, films like Clash of the Titans, books like Percy Jackson & the Olympians, and video games like God of War make them out to be raging douchebags.

The problem is that Kratos doesn't give a damn about the consequences of his actions. He really doesn't care that he's destroying the ****ing world in the process.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #145
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Lol, its just a game people. And before I get flayed for that statement let me defend myself. I'm all for deep and meaningful characters. Hell, its why I'm still into gaming, and have given up on military shooters. Now is a better time in the industry than ever to get a good story and fleshed out characters in a game. That being said, not once did I ever look at a God of War game and need a character to root for. I do think it has a good story with depth to it, tho. I rolled my eyes a few times at Kratos and his "moments". However, those moments never hampered the game for me, because they offer so much that makes his complete lack of character development a non-issue at least for me. They took a formula that could have gotten old fast, but gave it enough variety and innovation to make it go above conventions. The art design especially in part 3 is damn beautiful, and part of the reason why I love that game so much. The hack and slash, combos, gore and sheer destructive force that is Kratos made up for whatever he as a character lacked. The games themselves for me have enough character to make up for his inadequacies. When I'm feeling he's lacking I pop a god's head off like a cork, and the smile comes back and I couldn't be happier.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #146
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

God of War III's gameplay was absolutely awesome. I love playing it. And as you say, the art design of it is not only beautiful, but it's perfect (except for Hades, I hate his design).

But it's still pretty undeniable that Kratos is a pretty terrible human being. Video games have become just like books, movies, and comics, the protagonist should be a likeable character unless it's intentionally designed to be playing the bad guy.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #147
terry78
I don't die, fool

Will the sex minigames be scaled down to only include his wife?

Bo-ring.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #148
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
God of War III's gameplay was absolutely awesome. I love playing it. And as you say, the art design of it is not only beautiful, but it's perfect (except for Hades, I hate his design).

But it's still pretty undeniable that Kratos is a pretty terrible human being. Video games have become just like books, movies, and comics, the protagonist should be a likeable character unless it's intentionally designed to be playing the bad guy.
When he killed Poseidon that's when I was like holy sh&t Kratos is going to burn this whole mother' down! Goodbye world! If I remember correctly the tsunami killed thousands of innocents.

Hades design didn't set well with me, either.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #149
terry78
I don't die, fool

Basically Kratos is a villain protagonist. He's dishing out retribution to people that aren't even remotely associated with his woes, but they're like guilty by association so off with their head, he says.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #150
Marvolo
Side-Kick

What if they made a game set after God of War 3, and you play a character who sets out to kill Kratos for his crimes against the world? Surely there is someone pissed off because of the destruction he wrought. It would be a change, and the character could be more likable.

Closed Thread