The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #526
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
I just put people on ignore depending on how irritating or obnoxious I find them, not really for their opinions. Though with someone like Alexei it didn't matter because everyone would quote him anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The people I put on Ignore are trolls like Alexei and a few certified whack jobs. It's best to ignore their posts because some are so irritating that I'll read what they wrote and get so pissed at their stupidity that I respond. Engaging these people is never a good idea because they are too dense to even have a decent conversation. Since I can't go around calling people stupid and diving through the screen to slap them is out, Ignore is the way to go.

All but one of the people I've put on Ignore have eventually been banned. I'm not worried about the straggler; his day will come.
These are the main reasons I put someone on ignore. I guess when I say I disagree with them, I disagree with their obnoxious, rude or trollish posts rather than difference of opinion. It's more that they're disagreeable. Sometimes I haven't even engaged with them at all personally, but they just clog the threads with unhealthy responses which are better not to read.

I've disagreed on opinions with a lot of posters but don't ignore them. It's not what they disagree upon on but how they do it.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #527
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Could somebody here help me out with understanding something that Kevin Feige just recently said? I've been scratching my head about it for a few days now, and even brought it up a few times in the Iron Man 3 thread.

How is it that the US Government doesn't see Captain America as one of their own? I mean, the whole point of War Machine being transformed into the "Iron Patriot" is because the US Government wants their own "Golden Boy" to display as a symbol towards their people, especially since they feel humiliated by the Chitauri Invasion.

Last time I checked though, Captain America was still officially enlisted within the US Army and he was only working WITH SHIELD, not for it, during the events of "The Avengers" as far as I saw since they were the ones fortunate to find him during his arctic slumber and equip him with the things that he needed for the modern day.

If anything, I was wondering and am hoping that it'll be somewhat addressed in this film on why the US doesn't feel compelled to go to CA to fight against the Ten Rings since he things like that is right up his alley.

Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure his enlistment ended decades ago, and he's only captain america in name now

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #528
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
How is it that the US Government doesn't see Captain America as one of their own? I mean, the whole point of War Machine being transformed into the "Iron Patriot" is because the US Government wants their own "Golden Boy" to display as a symbol towards their people, especially since they feel humiliated by the Chitauri Invasion.

Last time I checked though, Captain America was still officially enlisted within the US Army and he was only working WITH SHIELD, not for it, during the events of "The Avengers" as far as I saw since they were the ones fortunate to find him during his arctic slumber and equip him with the things that he needed for the modern day.

If anything, I was wondering and am hoping that it'll be somewhat addressed in this film on why the US doesn't feel compelled to go to CA to fight against the Ten Rings since he things like that is right up his alley.

Thoughts?
SHIELD is an international organization and does not answer to the US government. The US may have a place on the World Security Council that Nick Fury answers to, but they do not directly control SHIELD.

As far as Cap's affiliation with the US government, I would say those ties are now broken. I'm sure he was officially listed as MIA when the Red Skull's plane went down, but the military must have officially listed Cap's status as deceased by the time he was recovered from the ice. If so, he wouldn't officially be a member of the US military anymore.

Even if this wasn't the case, Cap wasn't answering to any US military authority in The Avengers and it's pretty clear that he has decided to call his own shots. The United States wants someone that they can control and follows orders. That's not Cap anymore.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #529
terry78
I don't die, fool

Basically the Captain America moniker is something he kept from the old days and still uses because he wants to embrace the ideals that the country stands for, but isn't "ours" so to speak.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #530
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Could somebody here help me out with understanding something that Kevin Feige just recently said? I've been scratching my head about it for a few days now, and even brought it up a few times in the Iron Man 3 thread.

Thoughts?
I would add to the other posts that Steve has likely developed a great deal of loyalty to SHIELD, as that is the organization that paid an enormous price in time and treasure to locate and defrost him.

Additionally, the Howling Commando group with whom Steve shared his wartime experience was international in nature, so he may be more comfortable at this point in time representing all nations.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #531
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

I think Steve would no longer be considered part of the US Armed Forces unless he re-enlisted, as due to his time on ice, he's went exceeded the maximum numbers of years allowed in service.

As to why he's working for SHIELD, then it might be that SHIELD is the successor of the SSR from his WWII days, so he's sticking with the old firm, as it were.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #532
Chewy
REDACTED

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,5513163.story

Little interview with Redford

Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #533
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

As for Steve's involvement with SHIELD, I kind of thought that he wouldn't be doing that anymore.

In The Avengers, he was pretty indignant about SHIELD's Phase 2 weapons, and said he wasn't marching under Fury anymore. What happened to that?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #534
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Wow. I'm amazed to see it confirmed.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #535
kaijunexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
As for Steve's involvement with SHIELD, I kind of thought that he wouldn't be doing that anymore.

In The Avengers, he was pretty indignant about SHIELD's Phase 2 weapons, and said he wasn't marching under Fury anymore. What happened to that?
Well, we've yet to see what Cap's relationship with SHIELD is really like post-Avengers. He could be very apprehensive to work with Fury again, but may feel an obligation to assist for some reason (even before learning Winter Soldier's identity).

Also, awesome to see Redford confirm his role!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #536
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Yes, great that Redford is definitely confirmed. Now we need an interview with Emily Van Camp to shed some light on who is playing.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #537
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

Yeah, that's my understanding, too.
Nick Fury didn't win any loyalists in The Avengers. Even Widow and Hawkeye, who likely have no choice but to keep following his orders, probably aren't that happy with their boss right now either. At the very least, he's got a lot of work to do to win back the Avengers' trust.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #538
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The Flying Spaghetti Monster exists! I prayed to that allmighty holy pasta for days that Redford would join the movie and it answered to those prayers!

Good to have confirmation finally

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #539
MysticRain
Side-Kick

Woo-hoo for Redford's confirmation! His presence on set alone will elevate everyone's performance even more.

With the casting call for extras, looks like it will definitely start shooting in April. We could have some nice footage by SDCC.

Is Van Camp confirmed? It seems like these days valid confirmation either must come from the actors directly or the Studios.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #540
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRain View Post
Is Van Camp confirmed? It seems like these days valid confirmation either must come from the actors directly or the Studios.
No. Last "official" word was that she was in talks.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #541
JB-the-Hunter
Booty hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRain View Post
Her role isn't confirmed, but she is.

"I knew there was something wrong. It just took a while to dawn on me, or maybe I was just afraid to think it, but... you survived the destruction because you caused it. Raina wasn't the only one changed in there, and I'm pretty sure the DNA results that I'm running right now will confirm that there's nothing wrong with the data in my head Skye. There's something wrong with you." - Leo Fitz
Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #542
The Infernal
Spinning Fidgeter

That's pretty interesting that Redford is open to doing something like this because it's something different. I like it when actors are trying to do new things and not just sticking with one or two things they prefer.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #543
kaijunexus

I have to imagine Evans is pretty excited to be working with a legend like Robert Redford and I'm sure we'll hear the entire cast fawning over him (rightfully so) in behind-the-scenes interviews.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #544
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Steve would no longer be considered part of the US Armed Forces unless he re-enlisted, as due to his time on ice, he's went exceeded the maximum numbers of years allowed in service.

As to why he's working for SHIELD, then it might be that SHIELD is the successor of the SSR from his WWII days, so he's sticking with the old firm, as it were.
In the tie-ins and deleted scenes don't they already allude to SHIELD coming from SSR?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #545
kaijunexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
In the tie-ins and deleted scenes don't they already allude to SHIELD coming from SSR?
IIRC, the only established connection is Howard Stark...

Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #546
MysticRain
Side-Kick

Yeah, I'm excited for the actors that'll get to work with him. He's also a great director too, so that might comes in handy for the Russo Bros.

Counting down to the first set pic, hope we see some by the end of April.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #547
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
IIRC, the only established connection is Howard Stark...
And the SHIELD logo. If you have read the art of the avengers book, they stated that the SSR logo was supposed to be a 40ies version of what would later become the SHIELD logo, eagle and everything.

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #548
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Even Widow and Hawkeye, who likely have no choice but to keep following his orders, probably aren't that happy with their boss right now either.
Why's that?

"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #549
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
A deleted scene from CATFA has Fury saying that Steve would have know SHIELD as the Strategic Scientific Reserve.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #550
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Plus, Peggy's file said she later became a consultant for SHIELD after working for the SSR.

Closed Thread