The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #551
Jettisoned
wouldn't harm a fly

Default Re: No Strings Attached: James Spader is Ultron!

Ultron looks hardcore. Being a fan of Spader's past work (he's awesome in films like Sex, Lies & Videotape, and Secretary), I'd kinda gotten overly comfortable and maybe even a little complacent with the idea of him doing the character justice and knocking it out of the park. But the trailer footage, in addition of being a vindication of my complacency (and to a lesser extent, Whedon's choice and Spader's talents), was also a nice wake up call from the complacency. It's gotten me excited for the film again.

I was picking up strong David and Goliath vibes from that last shot of Ultron and Captain America, should it play out like it was presented in this trailer.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #552
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmit View Post
I like the design of Ultron's final form but I'm not sure I like it for Ultron. I like the classic, comic look, IMO it was a mistake giving his face expression and movement, it's far creepier when it's just a dead, motionless face, kind of like Michael Myers or Jason Voorhies.
Sorry, you aren't allowed an opinion if you're not going to blindly praise every last detail. Didn't you get the memo?

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 10-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #553
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
Exactly it's 2014, with all the technology we have now and motion capture it wouldn't make sense to hire someone like Spader and just have him be a voice actor for a dull generic motionless robot face.

Yeah, that would never work. No actor ever emoted under a mask before.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #554
Isildur´s Heir
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmit
I like the design of Ultron's final form but I'm not sure I like it for Ultron. I like the classic, comic look, IMO it was a mistake giving his face expression and movement, it's far creepier when it's just a dead, motionless face, kind of like Michael Myers or Jason Voorhies.
I agree, movie's Ultron look is plain bad.
I was watching the trailer, my mother walked in at the very end and she asked: "What? Another Transformers?"
I couldn't stop laughing, because.....she does have a very big point.
This looks 10x better than the movie version (minus the nostrils)

They could even gone with light inside the armor to show his emotions. What a missed opportunity....

In fact, the more superhero movies and tv shows i see, the more i see gigantic flaws in them when comparing to the comic book counterpart (i haven't watched Gotham yet).

Last edited by Isildur´s Heir; 10-23-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #555
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Spader talks Ultron: http://www.superherohype.com/news/31...ltron#/slide/1

Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #556
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Ultron will have his classic look for (probably) at least half the movie. Don't get worked up about it.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #557
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
How many times do we have to remind some of you that he will have various looks in this film. And why would they higher Spader to just do a voice for a dead motionless face? Makes no sense at all.
I don't need reminding thank you very much, I know there are various looks but for his final form I wanted something closer to the comics. They could have hired Spader because he could emote a creepy yet powerful voice without the need for facial expressions, makes perfect sense.

I also don't get how it's clichè to have a facially expressionless villain, has it really been used that often?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #558
FrozenBanana00
Side-Kick

He's perfect for the role. They made a wise choice. I like how they didn't even edit his voice that much. He's creepy all on his own :3

Old 10-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #559
MaceB
Side-Kick

I wish that some people could just come out and say, "I don't like it because it's a deviation from the comics, which I think of as a holy document that can't be changed." That'd at least be honest. People bagging on the final look seem mostly upset because it's not what they were expecting. That's fine, but don't rag on it because it looks bad. It doesn't. Honestly, the classic comic book look is lame. This is a big improvement.
And we'll all be getting the classic look for most of the movie, so everyone gets their way. Some people just can't be pleased.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #560
harryoscop
Banned User

If Ultron is evolving throughout the film, it only makes sense for his face to become more advanced.. obviously!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #561
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

What I don't particularly like about movie Ultron's face is that when he has his mouth closed, and because of the angle of his eyes, he looks too much like Iron Man. His classic comic face would set him apart far more.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #562
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
Some people just can't be pleased.
*le sigh*

Old 10-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #563
roach
I am the night

The Disney-fication of Marvel continues.
I've heard through sources I mostly made up that Ant-man will feature "When I See an Elephant Fly" from Dumbo.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #564
harryoscop
Banned User

Totally agree it don't lok liek teh comics!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #565
MaceB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What I don't particularly like about movie Ultron's face is that when he has his mouth closed, and because of the angle of his eyes, he looks too much like Iron Man. His classic comic face would set him apart far more.
Is it not still easy to tell them apart? Do they not come from the same initial design?
Honestly, they look very different to me. Looking similar is a good thing though - it helps to tell Ultron's backstory. And good news: all of the Ultron bots have classic look as well as Ultron himself for most of the movie.
As I was just saying. It seems like most people are creating rationals for not liking the movie look, but at the end of the day, it seems like that's more because they're already sold on the classic comic look than on any true design problems. Why exactly comic book accuracy is so important for an evolving character like ultron, and for the whole span of the movie..... I just don't get.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #566
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
Totally agree it don't lok liek teh comics!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #567
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Whiskey tango is being sarcastic, but in what direction? I have no idea.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #568
MaceB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Trust me, I'm no loyalist. When I don't like something, I say so and back it up with reason. So whatever.. it's cool for you to have your own opinion on it. But this is a message board, so could you try to communicate why you dislike the look?

Is it based on your aesthetic taste? Is it based on your appreciation for the comic book look? What exactly is the problem? And if it is due to comic book loyalty, that's cool... just don't get shocked when people criticize that opinion. After all, you were just criticizing others for being Whedon loyalists. Seems to me that trying to enforce comic book accuracy is the same thing.

I personally am happy that they're deviating from the blank face approach... at least towards the end. One - because it's a part of the character that he wants to evolve. Two - because the blank face open mouth look is pretty lame looking. I'd prefer him to have facial expression, but that's just me.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #569
Mister J
The Universe's Imbalance
SHH! Global Moderator

Oy. As a community, we'd find some way to ***** about and be at odds over world peace breaking out.

"Your opinion is wrong! This is what you should think! This is where the military spending should go. Grr! Argh!"

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there is always madness. Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away forever.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #570
BrollySupersj
just saiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post

Yeah, that would never work. No actor ever emoted under a mask before.
Fine point Tango, completely agree. Just because a face expresses no emotion, doesn't mean there can't be emotion felt. Even if they had gone with a robotic face as the final design. I doubt it would have a negative impact on any emotion Ultron shows.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #571
MaceB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
Fine point Tango, completely agree. Just because a face expresses no emotion, doesn't mean there can't be emotion felt. Even if they had gone with a robotic face as the final design. I doubt it would have a negative impact on any emotion Ultron shows.
You think that making a character incapable of showing facial expression wouldn't inhibit that character's ability to emote? Gonna go out on a limb here and say I disagree.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #572
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmit View Post
I don't need reminding thank you very much, I know there are various looks but for his final form I wanted something closer to the comics. They could have hired Spader because he could emote a creepy yet powerful voice without the need for facial expressions, makes perfect sense.

I also don't get how it's clichè to have a facially expressionless villain, has it really been used that often?
Tough dude it is what it is. I personally love it, but hey man you are entitled to your opinion Movie can still be awesome even if you don't like the look no?

Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #573
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

The character has to fit the story he is written for. Putting aside the obvious differences in the creation of the character, Whedon is giving us a reason for Ultron's constant upgrades. Utron is trying to create a new race of humanity with himself as the prime specimine.

There's a reason for the Pinnocio reference. Pinnocio wanted to be a real boy, and Ultron wants to be human, but not the current breed. He views what he is doing as an evolution of a new dawn of man. Ultimately I think that will end with his new "vision" (wink, wink) of humanity, that will backfire on him.

Whedon is doing something that the comics failed to provide. In the comics there's no reason for Ultron to create a synthetic humanoid looking android, when he hates humanity so much and embraces his metallic form. In this movie Ultron appears to have his hatred for humanity, and his creator, but he views his chance to perfect humanity.

Personally I think it not only looks awesome, but with Spaders disturbing voice behind it, it is more frightening than I could possibly imagine.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #574
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
Tough dude it is what it is. I personally love it, but hey man you are entitled to your opinion Movie can still be awesome even if you don't like the look no?
I was simply making the point that you CAN hire a great actor just for their voice ala James Earl Jones. Never said it wouldn't be. You can dislike parts of a movie and still love the movie as a whole, can you not?

Old 10-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #575
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
You think that making a character incapable of showing facial expression wouldn't inhibit that character's ability to emote? Gonna go out on a limb here and say I disagree.
Exactly....

case in point: