Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #476
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: C. Nolan's Interstellar - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansiov View Post
I am actually really interested who Nolan's going to pick as his cinematographer; I really hope he surprises us instead of going for the obvious choice (Deakins).

Also: Hooray for Anne!
I don't see how Deakins is the obvious choice. I don't see any reasons why they would team up, especially with their philosophies competing, with Deakins declaring that digital has beat out film and Nolan still championing film. The obvious choice would be Robert Elswit, but also a great choice, given his experience with IMAX (Ghost Protocol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post

but serious. without the mega exposition in Inception it wouldnt make that much money. it had to be 100% clear to everyone. and i agree with Nolan.
The exposition in Inception was needed, if awkward. The exposition in Batman was unneeded, and insulting.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #477
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post

The exposition in Inception was needed, if awkward. The exposition in Batman was unneeded, and insulting.
See I've never found the exposition in Inception to be awkward. It employed a pretty standard trope with Ariadne as a newcomer, essentially an audience stand in, learning the process. At the same time though, everything revealed to her about the inception process also revealed things about Dom.

In the opening of the film we are given a mission with no explanation.

In the middle we get the explanation but it also builds Dom as a character

In the end we get the full mission, now with an understanding of the rules. Everything is really well put together through the editing of the different scenes in different levels of the dream. Something that could have been completely inaccessable or could have been crushed under its own weight is instead a crowd pleaser.

It was weird to see people brag that "I didn't even thing Inception was that complex" (Because yeah being able to understand the plot of giant blockbusters makes you so cool) It was never meant to be.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #478
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
ee I've never found the exposition in Inception to be awkward. It employed a pretty standard trope with Ariadne as a newcomer, essentially an audience stand in, learning the process. At the same time though, everything revealed to her about the inception process also revealed things about Dom.
Nolan never attempts to "hide" the exposition under the veneer of natural dialogue like other writers do. Which is why it is awkward to me; especially in rewatches when I already know most of the "rules" of the world. I'm inclined to skip the first 45 minutes entirely when I watch the film these days because I don't need to know what I already know repeated to me.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #479
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #480
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm still wondering until now what a "clean slate" is... Can someone please explain?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #481
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I hate Alfred/Wayne's first dialogue in the film when Bale blatantly describes to us the audience who and what Selina Kyle is and why she will be undergoing her character arc. It's so bluntly expository that I can't help do anything but laugh.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #482
Octoberist
point blank

Alfred's role in TDkR was baffling, I must say.

-- Anonymous, 2016
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #483
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I'm still wondering until now what a "clean slate" is... Can someone please explain?
The Clean Slate? Where you type in someones name, date of birth, and in a few minutes....they're gone in every database on Earth?

Yeah, never heard of it.

Last edited by Travesty; 04-11-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #484
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Nolan never attempts to "hide" the exposition under the veneer of natural dialogue like other writers do. Which is why it is awkward to me; especially in rewatches when I already know most of the "rules" of the world. I'm inclined to skip the first 45 minutes entirely when I watch the film these days because I don't need to know what I already know repeated to me.
I fully agree with you that the exposition in the batfilms, especially Rises is pretty bad. It works in Inception for me though because they are literally teaching someone. It just works better than the Alfred-infodumps.

Edit

Oh God, the "clean slate" exposition was absolutely terrible.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #485
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
It works in Inception for me though because they are literally teaching someone.
But what happens when you've already been taught? You already know every rule of the world? The exposition than becomes tediously redundant. If Nolan wrote clever character interplay over the exposition perhaps the first forty five minutes would be more enjoyable to watch after two times.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #486
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hate Alfred/Wayne's first dialogue in the film when Bale blatantly describes to us the audience who and what Selina Kyle is and why she will be undergoing her character arc. It's so bluntly expository that I can't help do anything but laugh.
I actually thought it worked quite well as he was doing a profile on her. It was all expository, but it felt natural that he'd do research on the thief that robbed him (and made him smitten). And telling Alfred, his confidant, allows him to tell the audience a huge chunk of exposition in a relatively natural way.

Compare that to say the way Nick Fury and Captain America talk in their first scene in Avengers. It is an entire recap of the last film and a clunky way to explain Cap's entire character arc for the film in a single minute.

I am not saying Nolan does not write clunky scenes, for example Talia's death scene or Daggett watching the police chase. I just felt that one worked.

--John Adams
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #487
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
But what happens when you've already been taught? You already know every rule of the world? The exposition than becomes tediously redundant. If Nolan wrote clever character interplay over the exposition perhaps the first forty five minutes would be more enjoyable to watch after two times.
That may be the reason why I never enjoyed Inception as much as I did on my first viewing?

I never even thought of this. Hmmmmm.

Still like the movie, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #488
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
The Clean Slate? Where you type in someones name, date of birth, and in a few minutes....they're gone in every database on Earth?
Sounds a little too good to be true.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #489
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually thought it worked quite well as he was doing a profile on her. It was all expository, but it felt natural that he'd do research on the thief that robbed him (and made him smitten). And telling Alfred, his confidant, allows him to tell the audience a huge chunk of exposition in a relatively natural way.
The way the dialogue is written comes more off as addressing the audience than addressing Alfred, unfortunately. I can close my eyes during that scene and hear Bruce Wayne talking directly to me.

I would've rather seen Bruce researching her alone where her background is fully laid visually in his Batcomputer, requiring no need to verbally address it.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #490
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
I agree. And honestly, part of me feels the same way about the ferry scene in TDK. The first time you see it, there's a ton of suspense in terms of "who will blow up the ferry?" But in subsequent viewings those scenes just drag, mostly because there are these long periods of people just holding the trigger and looking apprehensively at the camera. LONG periods. Yeah, we get it, its a tough choice, but do we have to view the people making that choice in real time?

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #491
Gordons ally

Th Smile Re: C. Nolan's Interstellar - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I don't get the big deal of using the same actors. It's not like he's chosing bad actors, they're all ridiculously high value actors
My point is that some actor / director relationships are so succesfull Scorsese / DiCaprio,Depp / Burton .

I am sad that Oldman has not such a director who casts him frequently .He never worked with a director twice on different movies and I wonder why ? .He always worked twice with directors ,out of the fact, that the character Oldman played was featured in the sequel as well ,so the director had no chance LOL .I hoped Nolan would be the one but seems he again has choosen other actors to work with again ....

You know what I mean ?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #492
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm guessing it's because he's older and not "leading man" material anymore (or whatever you call them) compared to the Depps and Di Caprios? I don't know. It's not like he's hard to work with. I don't recall ever hearing anything about him being a PITA. It broke my heart when I read that one interview where he said that he wanted some parts but they were not being offered to him (I think it was Valjean in Les Mis?).

Old 04-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #493
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
I'm guessing it's because he's older and not "leading man" material anymore (or whatever you call them) compared to the Depps and Di Caprios? I don't know. It's not like he's hard to work with. I don't recall ever hearing anything about him being a PITA. It broke my heart when I read that one interview where he said that he wanted some parts but they were not being offered to him (I think it was Valjean in Les Mis?).
Eh, it's not like he isn't getting work anymore. He's in both Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Robocop, both very high profile and got an Oscar nomination last year. Then again I would like to see him work with Nolan once more.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #494
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:

That just seems like an odd thing to criticize a film for.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #495
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Oldman is actually only 5 years older than Depp, Pitt and Tom Cruise. It's kind of odd how those three have clung to their leading man status a decade or more past 40.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #496
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Gary's always been a character actor. He's too much of a chameleon for his own good. It's like, a leading man still has to be recognizable for people to fawn after their leading-manness.

Tom Cruise and Will Smith, you kinda know their schtick by now. And even Depp, to a point. That's why people love watching them. DiCaprio definitely has more range, and is a tremendous actor, but he can't get away from his babyface.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #497
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

You just named three pretty boys and asked why they are getting more roles than Oldman? Oldman is handsome but he comes off as much older. Most of the time the pretty boy with the help of plastic surgery ages better. Also has Oldman ever been a leading man?

EDIT : Anita beat me to it although I'd never discribe Leo as a great actor.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #498
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

Maybe I like these summer blockbusters more because they have more exposition than his smaller-scale films - and more action

Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #499
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Global Moderator

I actually think of Pitt as a character actor trapped in a leading man's body. And that's not a bad thing at all.

ETA: Obviously I wasn't reading because Pitt was never mentioned in the discussions above.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #500
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
You just named three pretty boys and asked why they are getting more roles than Oldman? Oldman is handsome but he comes off as much older. Most of the time the pretty boy with the help of plastic surgery ages better. Also has Oldman ever been a leading man?

EDIT : Anita beat me to it although I'd never discribe Leo as a great actor.
Oldman play Beethoven, the character that the movie is about (although arguably not the main protagonist) in Immortal Beloved.

And was unrecognizable in doing so.