The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #51
KevanG
Pragmatic Villain
 
KevanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 27,469
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

So to anyone who's watched the show up to this point, do any of the characters talk about how weird it is for Trunks to be 'together' with Mai? I assume they're together because of anime tropes.

She's only at least three times his age, being at least a teenager when his father was young. I mean she was about the same age she was in the future as she was when she was first seen in DB and that was something like 40 years ago?

KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #52
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,781
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post
So to anyone who's watched the show up to this point, do any of the characters talk about how weird it is for Trunks to be 'together' with Mai? I assume they're together because of anime tropes.

She's only at least three times his age, being at least a teenager when his father was young. I mean she was about the same age she was in the future as she was when she was first seen in DB and that was something like 40 years ago?
No mention of their relationship yet or explanation for her being around the same age as him in the future.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #53
Boom
I got nothin'
 
Boom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sitting on the nitpicket fence
Posts: 43,571
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Any word on when the English dub of Super will come out?

__________________
Everything in this post is my fault.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #54
KevanG
Pragmatic Villain
 
KevanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 27,469
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

I heard July at the earliest but no specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
No mention of their relationship yet or explanation for her being around the same age as him in the future.
I get the same age in the future since I'd assume she ages normally as the wish was just to make them younger. I assume they're together just because the whole 'tragic romance' thing is a well played out thing in practically everything.

KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #55
craigdbfan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 31,174
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Is the new series any good fellas or should I just skip it?

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #56
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,349
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Personally, DBS bores me most of the time. At first I was excited knowing that they'd revisit both recent Movies, and get more time to develop the story. But the fight between Goku and Beerus, which was fun to watch in the Movie, turned into a total snore fest in the anime, that dragged for a number of Episodes. Tried to watch the Frieza arc, but just couldn't be bothered to sit through that, so I can't tell you if that actually went better than the Beerus arc.

Tuned back in for the Fighting Tournament between worlds, and that's where I thought things finally got interesting. And unlike the first arc, fights didn't drag on forever. It had a nice pace, and if anything, you wanted to see more of the action. After that, I tuned out again, nothing noteworthy must have happened, because otherwise the internet would have talked about it. And now I tuned back in for the Trunks arc. Which seems really interesting, the action is almost back to what we we're normally used from DBZ. Though the story still drags. I think everything that happened in the first 3 Episodes of Trunk's arc, could have been told in 1 Episode, but the rest of the screen time is simply wasted on chibi Trunks and Pilaf's gang doing shenanigans.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #57
craigdbfan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 31,174
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Hmmm. Sounds a bit questionable. Must investigate further.

Thanks for the review Nathan.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #58
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
 
Tron Bonne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Year 70XX
Posts: 33,303
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post
I get the same age in the future since I'd assume she ages normally as the wish was just to make them younger. I assume they're together just because the whole 'tragic romance' thing is a well played out thing in practically everything.
So we're just assuming that the Pilaf gang made the wish to Shenron in Trunk's timeline the same they did in the regular timeline? I guess there's nothing to really contradict that, but how they survived that long is pretty questionable lol.

__________________
"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #59
KevanG
Pragmatic Villain
 
KevanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 27,469
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Isn't the Trunks from Super the Trunks from the 'present' grown up? I thought I heard it was supposed to be a direct continuation of that timeline before he came back to change it like his other self did a few years back.

So that just means everything up to that point is the same until he came back.

I think? Time travel is awkward to talk about sometimes.

KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #60
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,349
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

It's actually Trunks from the Android Saga. There are a few flashbacks that show you he's been to the past before, and they use scenes from DBZ. I think there's actually no way for Mai to exist in Trunk's timeline. Well, depends on when they made the wish in the past. After all, the Dragon Balls ceased to exist, when Piccolo got killed by the Androids in Trunk's timeline.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by Nathan; 07-02-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #61
Orb
Lord of Demons
 
Orb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,251
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

They could've made the wish before Piccolo died. Its never really specified when they make the wish in the current timeline. It would make Mai only a few years older than Trunks. Not too big of a deal.

Anyways I'm really loving the new arc. Very curious to see where they go with Black.

Orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #62
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,349
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Episode 4 of Trunk's arc was a lot better. Focused a lot more on the story, and less on Pilaf's gang. Art in this Episode was hit or miss. There were moments when the art returned back to form and looked like DBZ during its best days, and then it went back to the lowly detailed mess the show has been for most of its run.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 AM   #63
TheDreamMaster
The Night He Came Home...
 
TheDreamMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mandalore
Posts: 4,910
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Hmmm. Sounds a bit questionable. Must investigate further.

Thanks for the review Nathan.
I saw a while ago a list of episodes worth watching. I've watched all of Super currently, so I'll try to recreate by my own opinions.

Watch episode 1 and 2 as an introduction to the series. Skip 3-14 as it's mostly a worse retelling of Battle of Gods. Watch 15-18, as some decent stuff happens here. Skip 19-27 as it's "Resurrection F" done worse. Watch the films in place of these skipped episodes. Watch 28-42 as it's the Tournament arc and pretty good. 43-46 is questionable, it can be skipped but it's not the worst thing ever. If you skip those, pick back up at 47-to current for the current Trunks arc.

__________________
H.E.

"She is a vampire bat!"
"Was the joke that bad?"
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #64
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,349
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

The show is definitely a lot better, when they don't have to adapt already told stories. It was just sad how boring the retelling of Beerus's Movie was. And almost comically drawn out, without any of the excitement like the battle between Goku and Frieza. Even Vegeta, who pretty much immediately freaks out in the Movie after Beerus slaps Bulma, convulses in agony, for what felt like a minute in the show, before he powers up.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #65
craigdbfan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 31,174
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
I saw a while ago a list of episodes worth watching. I've watched all of Super currently, so I'll try to recreate by my own opinions.

Watch episode 1 and 2 as an introduction to the series. Skip 3-14 as it's mostly a worse retelling of Battle of Gods. Watch 15-18, as some decent stuff happens here. Skip 19-27 as it's "Resurrection F" done worse. Watch the films in place of these skipped episodes. Watch 28-42 as it's the Tournament arc and pretty good. 43-46 is questionable, it can be skipped but it's not the worst thing ever. If you skip those, pick back up at 47-to current for the current Trunks arc.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The show is definitely a lot better, when they don't have to adapt already told stories. It was just sad how boring the retelling of Beerus's Movie was. And almost comically drawn out, without any of the excitement like the battle between Goku and Frieza. Even Vegeta, who pretty much immediately freaks out in the Movie after Beerus slaps Bulma, convulses in agony, for what felt like a minute in the show, before he powers up.
It feels kind of unnecessary and a waste of time quite frankly for them to adapt both of the movies for the show.

That could have easily been written around it by simply placing all the new material after the event of the films, so they wouldn't have to approach it in such a convoluted/sub par mess.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #66
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,781
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Kinda wishing they would pick up the pace a bit. Hopefully the next episode sheds more light on Black and his plans.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #67
Victarion
Iron Captain
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,513
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Babidi's wizardry intrigues me. My thinking is that a wizard's magic is a form of ki manipulation that doesn't require the user to achieve the kind of mind and body balance you tend to see in other ki users. Hence Babidi and Bibidi being really scrawny, almost atrophied looking.

__________________
Goku Lands on Namek CEO
...no king but the King in the North whose name is BRADY...
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #68
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,349
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Dragon Ball Super has returned after the one week break. I really enjoy the whole mystery surrounding Black. I think we pretty much know now who he is, but there's still the question of how he came to be and why he looks exactly like Goku.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by Nathan; 07-31-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #69
Jostru
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: My Bedroom.
Posts: 618
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Dragon Ball Super has returned after the one week break. I really enjoy the whole mystery surrounding Black. I think we pretty much know now who he is, but there's still the question of how he came to be and why he looks exactly like Goku.
Well, if it is the Kai from universe 10, he could've gone to the otherworld and picked out the strongest fighter there to use as a vessel of sorts. We all know it's "easier" to train in the otherworld, so by the time this Kai comes around, Goku would be quite powerful.

I'm not certain it's Zamasu behind all of this, though. He did seem to have some anger issues, so in Trunks' alternate timeline, something could've happened to piss him off badly (like the old kai dying), but I'm not ruling out the older kai himself being behind it. His green potara earrings are the same as the one Black wears and it's making my Spidey-sense tingle real bad.

Jostru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:15 PM   #70
Orb
Lord of Demons
 
Orb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,251
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Pretty sure we're dealing with a bootstrap time paradox here.

Orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #71
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,781
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Annoyed me that he kept referring to Goku as a human, when they said he was a saiyan.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #72
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 49,349
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Someone said it's a mistranslation. Every time he says human, he means mortals in general. So he basically hates all creations, not just earthlings.

*Edit*

Listened to a review, and he explained it better. Every time they say Ningen/Humans, that means all lifeforms. For example, the entire Ginyu Force, Recoome, Jeeze, Burter, etc. Those would be all Ningen/Humans. Earthlings specifically are Chikyūjin. So every time Zamasu refers to Goku as a Ningen/Human, he doesn't mean born of earth. He's just one of the many lifeforms created by the Gods.

__________________
I am the HYPE!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by Nathan; 08-01-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #73
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,781
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Someone said it's a mistranslation. Every time he says human, he means mortals in general. So he basically hates all creations, not just earthlings.

*Edit*

Listened to a review, and he explained it better. Every time they say Ningen/Humans, that means all lifeforms. For example, the entire Ginyu Force, Recoome, Jeeze, Burter, etc. Those would be all Ningen/Humans. Earthlings specifically are Chikyūjin. So every time Zamasu refers to Goku as a Ningen/Human, he doesn't mean born of earth. He's just one of the many lifeforms created by the Gods.
Ah ok that makes sense.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #74
Victarion
Iron Captain
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,513
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Watching the evil Buu saga - love how Mr Satan is ultimately responsible for Buu's defeat.

__________________
Goku Lands on Namek CEO
...no king but the King in the North whose name is BRADY...
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #75
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,781
Default Re: Dragonball HQ - Part 1

Well that last episode certainly was interesting.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.