The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #76
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0706 View Post
Probably Republic Commando and SW:Battlefront 2.
The first Force Unleashed was also good, although it had a very bad PC port.
I am a big fan of both of those. Though was I the only one who could not kill Han Solo in Battlefront 2? Every time my brother was Han, he'd kill me, no matter who I was. His blaster was definitely overpowered.

My personal favorites are Jedi Outcast, the two KOTORs, and Rogue Leader. I wish they had finished TFU2 properly. It had better gameplay, but almost felt like a demo in terms of length and content.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #77
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - - - - - - - -

I feel that Jedi Outcast was the precursor to the awesome lightsaber and Force power action we got in Jedi Academy. Though playing as Kyle (now Finn ) is always a pleasure. Jaden Korr was a non-character.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #78
titansupes
Side-Kick

There were a few of the old EU things I really liked (Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Rendevous and a few other assorted novels and comics) but on the whole, I never got into it. Just read up on it intermittently on Wookiepedia (great site) when I was jonesin' for a quick SW fix. Honestly, I always just considered most of the Post-RotJ EU as "what we have instead of the Sequel Trilogy". Never truly "official" in my mind.

EDIT: We're doing the favourite games thing! Jedi Power Battles, The Clone Wars, BF1 and 2 (always preferred the first one, can't remember why) with honourable mentions to Jedi Starfighter and Jango Fett: Bounty Hunter (JF: BH always gave me a headache and sore eyes after twenty minutes though, which sucked).

Last edited by titansupes; 11-05-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #79
Wheels
Eat my shorts
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I definitely think there is a new weight to at least the comics imo. I haven't really got into the novels, but the comics feel like they are legit Star Wars for me, and it has been a real joy. Especially Star Wars and Darth Vader.
I haven't read nearly as much as I want. I got New Dawn and Lords of the Sith. I want Tarkin, Lost Stars, Dark Disciple, and most of the comics (Probably not getting the Chewie comic. Sorry fuzzball....).

Old 11-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #80
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I feel that Jedi Outcast was the precursor to the awesome lightsaber and Force power action we got in Jedi Academy. Though playing as Kyle (now Finn ) is always a pleasure. Jaden Korr was a non-character.
Jedi Academy is definitely the better playing game imo. But Jedi Outcast blew my teen mind. Especially interacting with Luke.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #81
Solidus
Knights of Ren

To answer a few things above:

I still have and will keep all my old EU materials. There are bits that I love a lot still. However, I'm more than happy on what Disney did. We needed a clean slate.

As for games:

1. Knights of the Old Republic
2. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
3. TIE Fighter
4. Super Star Wars
5. Dark Forces/KOTOR II
6. Rogue Squadron I and II

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 11-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #82
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
There were a few of the old EU things I really liked (Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Rendevous and a few other assorted novels and comics) but on the whole, I never got into it. Just read up on it intermittently on Wookiepedia (great site) when I was jonesin' for a quick SW fix. Honestly, I always just considered most of the Post-RotJ EU as "what we have instead of the Sequel Trilogy". Never truly "official" in my mind.
Heh, for that exact reason I always viewed the EU as canon as it got. Mara Jade's loss still kinda hurts. She was written as a great love interest for Luke. Not rushed, not shoehorned in, it was all great. The "Union" comics were crap, though.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #83
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Jedi Academy is definitely the better playing game imo. But Jedi Outcast blew my teen mind. Especially interacting with Luke.
Interacting and fighting side by side with him. Well... letting him kill all the Stormies in the Star Destroyer.

I remember loving Jason Court as Kyle in JK, playing (and being underwhelmed by) Mysteries of the Sith and the Jan dying in Outcast. Lost my s**t, especially since she died at the hands of a f**kin' T-Rex Darksider.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #84
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I haven't read nearly as much as I want. I got New Dawn and Lords of the Sith. I want Tarkin, Lost Stars, Dark Disciple, and most of the comics (Probably not getting the Chewie comic. Sorry fuzzball....).
I read New Dawn, Heir to the Jedi and Lords of the Sith. I enjoyed New Dawn and Lords of the Sith, but the Luke book disappointed me. Something about the novels just don't quite feel Star Warsy for me. Especially with how on point I feel the two main comic series are. Also with Star Wars, visuals always help with me.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #85
DarthSkywalker

Quote:

EDIT: We're doing the favourite games thing! Jedi Power Battles, The Clone Wars, BF1 and 2 (always preferred the first one, can't remember why) with honourable mentions to Jedi Starfighter and Jango Fett: Bounty Hunter (JF: BH always gave me a headache and sore eyes after twenty minutes though, which sucked).
The EU situation got really weird when everyone thought the ST was never coming. I think it made it more "real" for fans.

My brother and I nicknamed Jedi Power Battles, hard and super hard. We sucked at it, which was funny, because my kid brother is fantastic at videogames. I am not bad either, but outside of sports games and few fighting games (Because I know how he plays), I am no match for him. I wish I had bought The Clone Wars game. We rented it and I loved it, but I never picked it up to own.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #86
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Heh, for that exact reason I always viewed the EU as canon as it got. Mara Jade's loss still kinda hurts. She was written as a great love interest for Luke. Not rushed, not shoehorned in, it was all great. The "Union" comics were crap, though.
I liked what little I read of Mara, and as a kid reading the Thrawn Trilogy for the first time, I loved the chemistry she had with Luke and was excited to see where the relationship would go... but ultimately, I always agreed with Lucas that Luke wouldn't have gotten married or had kids-- so I'm glad it seems to be leaning that way in the ST.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #87
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Mara is still real to me!!!!!

Yeah, I loved her, but that comic and her death is some of the worst examples of quality in EU.

Quote:
Interacting and fighting side by side with him. Well... letting him kill all the Stormies in the Star Destroyer.

I remember loving Jason Court as Kyle in JK, playing (and being underwhelmed by) Mysteries of the Sith and the Jan dying in Outcast. Lost my s**t, especially since she died at the hands of a f**kin' T-Rex Darksider.
See, I went back and played the first two games in the series after playing Jedi Outcast. So I wasn't really attached and they were pretty dated by the time I got around to them. I did enjoy the Mara expansion pack, but that was because Mara.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #88
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
I liked what little I read of Mara, and as a kid reading the Thrawn Trilogy for the first time, I loved the chemistry she had with Luke and was excited to see where the relationship would go... but ultimately, I always agreed with Lucas that Luke wouldn't have gotten married or had kids-- so I'm glad it seems to be leaning that way in the ST.
I get not wanting Luke to get any, but if there was one way to have him get married, what we got was it.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #89
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
I get not wanting Luke to get any, but if there was one way to have him get married, what we got was it.
I still don't understand the no-marriage rule for Jedi, so I have always wanted Luke to get some.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #90
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Mara is still real to me!!!!!

Yeah, I loved her, but that comic and her death is some of the worst examples of quality in EU.
I hate "something goes wrong during the heroes' wedding" stories.

Quote:
See, I went back and played the first two games in the series after playing Jedi Outcast. So I wasn't really attached and they were pretty dated by the time I got around to them. I did enjoy the Mara expansion pack, but that was because Mara.
JK is really dated, but it was a beauty for its time. Really good lightsaber action for a 12-year-old back then. And again, Jason Court. Guy was great... and then I learned he starred in a couple of Red Shoe Diaries episodes.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #91
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
I still don't understand the no-marriage rule for Jedi, so I have always wanted Luke to get some.
The Force really hates Luke.

I see the no-marriage rule as the celibacy rule real life priests have. I completely disagree with it and I'm glad it indirectly became the Order's downfall.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #92
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
I hate "something goes wrong during the heroes' wedding" stories.

JK is really dated, but it was a beauty for its time. Really good lightsaber action for a 12-year-old back then. And again, Jason Court. Guy was great... and then I learned he starred in a couple of Red Shoe Diaries episodes.
And then you watched them, of course.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #93
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Strangely, no. Probably for the same reason I didn't watch the episodes Matt LeBlanc did.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #94
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
The Force really hates Luke.

I see the no-marriage rule as the celibacy rule real life priests have. I completely disagree with it and I'm glad it indirectly became the Order's downfall.
I just don't think it made sense when it is the perfect way to find Jedi. The Force runs in the family afterall. Fine, don't marry, but there should be plenty of kids.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #95
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
The EU situation got really weird when everyone thought the ST was never coming. I think it made it more "real" for fans.

My brother and I nicknamed Jedi Power Battles, hard and super hard. We sucked at it, which was funny, because my kid brother is fantastic at videogames. I am not bad either, but outside of sports games and few fighting games (Because I know how he plays), I am no match for him. I wish I had bought The Clone Wars game. We rented it and I loved it, but I never picked it up to own.
That was my first video game, and I luuuved it. I rented the official TPM game and thought it was too clunky (and I consequently sucked at it), and I never tried the Obi-Wan game (why were there so many TPM video games?!). But JPB I spent way too much time replaying. I wish I still had all that stuff. And in writing this post, I also just realised that Jedi Power Battles shares my initials.

The Clone Wars game was great. Even though it was heavily vehicle focused, I considered it the precursor to BF in a way.

Just back to comics quickly-- Even though it's all on the same level as canon now, and the quality around the board is high, I still only truly consider the movies canon. I mean, I accept most of it, but things like Luke and Vader facing off pre-ESB... never happened in my mind. It just takes too much of the juice out of that moment in ESB for me.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #96
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
I just don't think it made sense when it is the perfect way to find Jedi. The Force runs in the family afterall. Fine, don't marry, but there should be plenty of kids.
Lol, I smell an HBO series set 2 years after RotJ, formatted after the 70s TIH show, featuring Luke as he plants Force sensitives in every female critter of the galaxy. Luke becoming SW's answer to Kirk is fitting.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #97
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Just back to comics quickly-- Even though it's all on the same level as canon now, and the quality around the board is high, I still only truly consider the movies canon. I mean, I accept most of it, but things like Luke and Vader facing off pre-ESB... never happened in my mind. It just takes too much of the juice out of that moment in ESB for me.
That's my main beef with TCW, too many movies characters facing off between movies, especially Obi/Anakin/Dooku.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #98
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:

I'm definitely not against Luke gettin' some. I'm sure he did some celebrating post Yavin, for example. And I think he's allow the members of his Order to marry and have famalies-- But for him specifically, with the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders, well... the Force is his lady now.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #99
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I think the Force was the unofficial name of my left hand for more years than I wanted.

And ew, the only ones on Endor were Leia and female Ew- oh... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, he f**ked Mon Mothma, didn't he?

Last edited by Gianakin_; 11-05-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #100
Filmfan93
The Man in Black

Forgot to mention the Jedi Outcast games. Loved spawning 10 npc Tavions and fight them all at once lol. Excellent missions as well.

Closed Thread