The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #951
JOE

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Anything over 500M would be considered a good start for this franchise. Can't get greedy and try to break the 1B mark, gotta win the people over first. Avengers made 1.5B because of it's 4 year build up. If and only IF they can pull off something similar to Marvel's Phase One, The Justice League would be the only movie I see topping Marvel's Avengers in the nearby future. That movie along with Star Wars of course. JJ is going to revive that franchise from it's horrible prequel.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #952
mclay18
Side-Kick

I think people are getting too generous with the opening weekend gross for MOS. (A $65-80M opening is more realistic.) I want this film to do well, but it's not going to do Iron Man 3 domestic numbers unless the word-of-mouth is really good.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #953
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I think people are getting too generous with the opening weekend gross for MOS. (A $65-80M opening is more realistic.) I want this film to do well, but it's not going to do Iron Man 3 domestic numbers unless the word-of-mouth is really good.
Exactly. I'm calling a 75 million opening weekend.
And i think 500-550 ww gross is realistic. That is pretty decent for a reboot.

Superhero nerd.
Writer for @GalvNews. Bylines: @WashingtonPost, @BuzzFeed, @MovieViral.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #954
ohmshalone
on the brink of sanity

I can't see Man of Steel getting such low numbers. I too have a lot of reservations when it comes to Snyder, but I keep thinking of those reactions we were getting a few weeks ago where people were saying it's the "best movie of the year". It should surely do 100+, or at least have legs. Dialogue so far seems very well written. I say 800 million WW.

A major DC fan (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).
Old 04-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #955
Liam_H
Side-Kick

$500-600 million WW for a reboot is not low.

Spill

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #956
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I generally agree with you (though I predicted an $85M opening). This was never going to be an IM-sized juggernaut, nor does it need to be. If it gets between $500M-$600M worldwide (where I think it will land) with good word-of-mouth, it will be in very good shape.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #957
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I generally agree with you (though I predicted an $85M opening). This was never going to be an IM-sized juggernaut, nor does it need to be. If it gets between $500M-$600M worldwide (where I think it will land) with good word-of-mouth, it will be in very good shape.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Superhero nerd.
Writer for @GalvNews. Bylines: @WashingtonPost, @BuzzFeed, @MovieViral.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #958
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I think with WB's last marketing push, the opening weekend ceiling for MOS will probably be close to $100M. I don't want to compare this with the first Iron Man film, but with the 3D add-on and ticket inflation, it could have a Inception-sized opening with $10M-$15M tacked on.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #959
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
I can't see Man of Steel getting such low numbers. I too have a lot of reservations when it comes to Snyder, but I keep thinking of those reactions we were getting a few weeks ago where people were saying it's the "best movie of the year". It should surely do 100+, or at least have legs. Dialogue so far seems very well written. I say 800 million WW.
Would those be the ones coming out of WB themselves? Yeah, take that with a hefty grain of salt.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #960
GreenKToo
In the fire

600 mill ww as of now. Ask me again 24 hours from now.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #961
db85usa
HeHe!

A lot of you guys that are low balling MoS OW #'s are still thinking about SR in the back of your minds or the fact that it's a reboot and that's okay but remember, Supes is one of if not the first ever true Superhero in the comic book universe -- a total icon, a legend.

With 3D, IMAX becoming more popular, the buzz this film is about to get within the next 24 hours. We've got a 3rd trailer coming, Christopher Nolan's name slapped on it, and the fact that The Dark Knight trilogy isn't far removed (which is/was a huge success financially,) I can't envision MoS NOT grossing over $100 Mil for an OW. Being conservative is all right in my book. I expect it to have numbers very similar or in between Iron-Man 1/2's box office totals. That's my realistic guess

Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #962
DKDetective
Problem Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
A lot of you guys that are low balling MoS OW #'s are still thinking about SR in the back of your minds or the fact that it's a reboot and that's okay but remember, Supes is one of if not the first ever true Superhero in the comic book universe -- a total icon, a legend.
That is the whole reason why people are being cautious in their predictions. Superman is a pop culture icon and legend - and, as a result, people think they know him. They believe he is exactly as portrayed in the Christopher Reeve films and, as a result, he is an archaic relic. An artifact of a happier, simpler time who doesn't really fit in in our modern world. Superman Returns reinforced that perception by reviving a 30 year old interpretation of the character.

Most people will talk respectfully about Superman being the first superhero and how he is worthy of great reverence and respect as a result, but that doesn't necessarily mean they want to see a Superman movie. The marketing for this film needs to establish that this is a new modern take on the character and that it is different than anything they have seen. That Superman is cool and hip.

Otherwise, people will be happy to leave the character with other relics where they believe he belongs, in a museum. Being an icon, a legend comes with baggage.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #963
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

It's ok, Batman Begins bounced off after B&R, I think this will do around Inception numbers (about 60m opening) but word of mouth will be good, it will have staying power and like that film it will reach about 800m WW. Good enough to warrant a sequel, which like TDK will hopefully rule the world.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/4-Batman Begins/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Guardians of the Galaxy/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #964
ohmshalone
on the brink of sanity

I don't know why some people (not on these boards) say Suprman's a relic because the problems he faces aren't relevant anymore. "How's he gonna defeat world hunger? How's he gonna solve the financial crisis?" Well, how's Batman and Iron Man solving these problems? Weren't there financial crises before 1950? Sometimes all people want is an age-old story about good vs. bad.

A major DC fan (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Last edited by ohmshalone; 04-16-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #965
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
I don't know why some people (not on these boards) say Suprman's a relic because the problems he faces aren't relevant anymore. "How's he gonna defeat world hunger? How's he gonna solve the financial crisis?" Well, how's Batman and Iron Man solving these problems? Weren't there financial crises before 1950? Sometimes all people want is an age-old story about good vs. bad.

IMT supporter
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #966
DKDetective
Problem Eliminator

Quote:
Weren't there financial crises before 1950? Sometimes all people want is an age-old story about good vs. bad.
Well, Superman himself was created during the Great Depression. I actually think that if they do a good job marketing Man of Steel, it has the potential to do far better than we are all expecting. This recession has dragged on long enough. An optimistic, uplifting character like Superman could really strike a chord with people and make them feel better about life just like he did during the Golden Age.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #967
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
600 mill ww as of now. Ask me again 24 hours from now.
Wow at that trailer. 650/700 MILL ww.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #968
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
It will make a good amount of money! 600M minimum, imo!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #969
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

B.O. about to Deshi Basara

Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #970
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
how much do you think it will make opening weekend ?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #971
FilmNerdJamie
I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!
SHH! Global Moderator

$70-$80M ish.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #972
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol a relic? This movie is gonna make a statement. Oh, Superman isn't as popular anymore? How about we don't even need to call the movie Superman and we don't even need to say the word of Superman in the trailer. How about all we need to do is show a logo at the end. Watch my movie still make a s*** ton of money.

Name me one other superhero you could do that with. See if Marvel has the balls to release an Iron Man movie without the word Iron Man in the title and without saying Iron Man in the trailer.

Anyone who tells you Superman isn't popular in this day and age is an idiot.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #973
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Lol a relic? This movie is gonna make a statement. Oh, Superman isn't as popular anymore? How about we don't even need to call the movie Superman and we don't even need to say the word of Superman in the trailer. How about all we need to do is show a logo at the end. Watch my movie still make a s*** ton of money.

Name me one other superhero you could do that with. See if Marvel has the balls to release an Iron Man movie without the word Iron Man in the title and without saying Iron Man in the trailer.

Anyone who tells you Superman isn't popular in this day and age is an idiot.
Great point, let's also dare any other studio to produce a feature cbm without any punching and see it take in Return's gross.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #974
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I think SR's failure was due to a lot of problems.
it wasnt just a lack of punching scenes, but that didnt help matters .

Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #975
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
$70-$80M ish.
Wait a minute, I thought your past prediction was $90M-$100M.