The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #451
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,562
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
There was no "want" to it, they were not able to make the movies...Marvel Studios of today with Disney, did not exist.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
People are complaining that it looks green-ish when the photo was taken in a room with bright green walls on all sides? Seriously?
Hopefully we see it in full soonish

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #452
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 702
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
The entire audience loved it, not just geeks. Because it was ultimately a human moment. That's what made you believe that Cap and Hulk were real instead of Chris Evans in blue tights talking to a computer generated model.
Agree!

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #453
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,798
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Oh come on. Tell me you didn't geek out when Cap said: "Hulk - smash!"

It's all in the execution.
I didn't have a problem with that because it didn't sound forced or artificial.

If Ben is speaking in 1960's vernacular, it will sound forced and artificial.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #454
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I didn't have a problem with that because it didn't sound forced or artificial.

If Ben is speaking in 1960's vernacular, it will sound forced and artificial.
1960s vernacular is different from what you described. A tendency to talk for too long is not a dated product of the 60s, it is something that people have always done since humanity learned to speak and we all know people who do it. Monologuing is a staple of literature. Catchphrases like "It's Clobberin' time!" are made timeless by being attached to a compelling character. It's not like we're advocating for "That Mary Jane is a real Pussywillow!" type dialogue.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #455
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 702
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
If you saw TASM2, I think you'd understand. If you've seen Batman and Robin, it was a subtler variation of that.

The important thing is to capture the spirit of the comics without being overly literal. I think we would all agree that if used a series of FF comics as a script for a film, it would be pretty terrible.

The key is in understanding what Kirby and Lee were trying to accomplish and accomplishing that same thing on film.

Again, to me, it's all about real people engaged in extraordinary adventures with extraordinary visuals. And in the sake of making the characters feel real in terms of their actions, interactions etc. I would sacrifice some of Stan Lee's dialogue and fluorishes which wouldn't feel very 'real' in a film.
I believe you. And your comparisons to Batman and Robin make me shudder. I was never able to actually even make it through to the end of that movie.

I agree that cartoony can certainly be overdone to a fault and I'm sure there are plenty examples of that. Why the first two FF films even fall into that category.

I do still disagree however that the signature flourishes from the comics that you describe are necessarily disposable. I think in the right hands it could be well ... fantastic. Part of the reason Marvel has been so successful is a healthy sense of self-awareness about the absurd that enables audiences to laugh and just go along with it and move on to the more serious human moments. They embrace what other producers of these films attempt to discard because they don't know how to do otherwise. I think that together with their continuity is the key to what makes their films so accessible to such a wide variety of audiences.

To me the FF is the kind of property that should be just as accessible. No they shouldn't be corny, kiddie films but they should veer family friendly. Dark, gritty, blah blah blah is all wrong and is only going to divide the audience further. The Incredibles was a brilliant family friendly film that demonstrated how to do it right.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #456
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,798
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
1960s vernacular is different from what you described. A tendency to talk for too long is not a dated product of the 60s, it is something that people have always done since humanity learned to speak and we all know people who do it. Monologuing is a staple of literature. Catchphrases like "It's Clobberin' time!" are made timeless by being attached to a compelling character. It's not like we're advocating for "That Mary Jane is a real Pussywillow!" type dialogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I believe you. And your comparisons to Batman and Robin make me shudder. I was never able to actually even make it through to the end of that movie.

I agree that cartoony can certainly be overdone to a fault and I'm sure there are plenty examples of that. Why the first two FF films even fall into that category.

I do still disagree however that the signature flourishes from the comics that you describe are necessarily disposable. I think in the right hands it could be well ... fantastic. Part of the reason Marvel has been so successful is a healthy sense of self-awareness about the absurd that enables audiences to laugh and just go along with it and move on to the more serious human moments. They embrace what other producers of these films attempt to discard because they don't know how to do otherwise. I think that together with their continuity is the key to what makes their films so accessible to such a wide variety of audiences.

To me the FF is the kind of property that should be just as accessible. No they shouldn't be corny, kiddie films but they should veer family friendly. Dark, gritty, blah blah blah is all wrong and is only going to divide the audience further. The Incredibles was a brilliant family friendly film that demonstrated how to do it right.

I'm not saying to completely dismiss or discard those elements but they have to be used carefully and they can't be done in ways that jar people out of feeling they're watching something that could really be happening (your 'Hulk Smash' example is perfect example of doing it right).

Reed can talk too much, but it should feel like a real person who talks too much. If there's a cannonball hurtling toward them, he shouldn't be discussing its momentum and rotational inertia . . . he should be f***ing getting out of the way.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #457
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,856
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Agreed.
Then why the heck did you say they didn't want to do it and sold it to a studio who did want to?

__________________
“Whenever you see somebody crossing over to something it gives it pop. Like Murder She Wrote and Magnum [P.I.] — great crossover. I got excited.” Joss Whedon on Spider-man joining the Avengers.
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #458
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 702
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
And let's be honest here - they wouldn't even be making this film if the rights weren't expiring in a month or two.

Recently there was leaked test footage of a Deadpool film that's been limbo for who knows how long. Now I'm not a Deadpool fan but I hear other people clamoring all the time for a Deadpool movie. But Fox have never moved forward on it and there's always some excuse as to why they haven't. Meanwhile, nobody was clamoring for an FF film - the opposite in fact - but here we are. What's the difference? Fox doesn't have to make a Deadpool film because they've already renewed the rights with their X-Men releases so they can sit on those rights and do nothing with them for as long as they please. That's all you need to know about the motive behind this movie.
LOL. I didn't know Fox cared so much. They just leaked the Deadpool footage in hi-def.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #459
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 702
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Then why the heck did you say they didn't want to do it and sold it to a studio who did want to?
It would appear that he was attempting to twist the facts. Not the first time I might add. You're better than that CWR. I've seen you contribute much more meaningfully to our endless little debates.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #460
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,294
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
It would appear that he was attempting to twist the facts
It's pretty much the only way he can try making this thing sound positive

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #461
EssayM
Just A Guy
 
EssayM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 684
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

I wouldn't mind a "clobberin' time" nod if it wasn't done too cheesy. Like maybe in the scene before they head out for the final confrontation, the Thing just smirks and says something like "Welp, looks like it's clobberin' time," sort of sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek, right before the scene ends and cuts to the battle. Something small and subtle like that could really help the line regain some of its badassery, in addition to being a nice fanboy squee moment.

__________________
I'm not optimistic, I'm just open-minded.
EssayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #462
Joe Rockhead
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 402
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
That's interesting! We talked this to death last time around, but if they had gone with a design like that, they would have had to use actuators etc. rather than using Chiklis' expressions, so the film-makers chose, rightly or wrongly, to go with the design they did.

In this case, we don't have those limitations.

I also remember Tim Story using the old standby "it would be too 'cartoony' " to rationalize their decision to not include a brow.

The crazy thing is every time Fox makes a Superhero film, they seem to be obsessed with the idea of it not being too 'cartoony' . . . but I have never seen anybody fault a film like this for being too cartoony. We've got a talking raccoon in GOTG, but I've yet to hear anyone say they're not seeing it because of that. On the contrary, that seems to be one of the big draws.
I suppose this would be too 'cartoony' to Fox execs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frankenstein's_monster_(Boris_Karloff).jpg (134.2 KB, 0 views)

Joe Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #463
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,334
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

I wonder if Thing's look is going to be a suit or CGI.

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #464
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 18,360
Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

I think they'll CGI him.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | WOLVERINE | PORTRAYED BY HUGH JACKMAN
"You called that a landing?" - X1
"I thought I was just an animal, with claws" - X2
"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.