The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #51
Doctor Jones
No One

Default Re: Peyton Reed to direct, Adam McKay to rewrite Ant-man

Wright just seems better off doing his own thing. He's very successful at doing it, and he'll keep being so. This sucks when this happens, but let's not throw a fit when this doesn't come through like we wanted. Same with Aranofsky and The Wolverine. That sucked but from what I heard, maybe it was best he left after all. You don't know how these things can play out.

Wright is gone. Marvel didn't kill his career or him. He's been gone for a couple weeks. Have we recovered? There are more important things to languish and mourn on in the world.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 06-07-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #52
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Actually it's the opposite of that. I don't want childish ****** films controlled by Disney and Marvel that hire yes men directors(pun intended). The way Marvel conducts business is scaring the talented people behind the cameras in Hollywood away.
I'm pretty sure this is the direction they are going. As long as their fan base is ok with that kind of film I expect them to continue. I don't have a problem with this kind of film but I like diversity. It would be a dream for me to see a Quinten Tarantino do a marvel film his way.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #53
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #54
craigaat
World's Greatest Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the direction they are going. As long as their fan base is ok with that kind of film I expect them to continue. I don't have a problem with this kind of film but I like diversity. It would be a dream for me to see a Quinten Tarantino do a marvel film his way.
Tarantino's Deadpool

Old 06-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #55
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Meh...I just can't get excited about this movie anymore. I hope this flops, so Marvel learns their lesson and doesn't allow something like this to happen again. This film being successful will only be bad for Marvel fans in the long run.
I'm not mean-spirited enough to wish a flop on this. I'm a fan of Edgar Wright, but I'm a fan of Marvel Studios too, so I still ultimately wish them success. But still, at the end of the day they're a film studio, with shareholders. That means the only thing they'll learn from a flop would be to try less risky, offbeat ideas with new characters and lean more on established franchise characters.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #56
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

And so, like clockwork, here come the worrywarts predicting gloom and doom, just like with Favreau, just like with Branagh, just like with Johnston, just like the Russos. When are you people going to learn that spending a year wringing your hands accomplishes nothing? Especially when you've clearly been wrong time and time again?

"Oh, this guy must be a sycophant hired by Disney to service the execs" like there is absolutely no other possibility, like they spoke with numerous people and hired the guy with the best vision. No, that can't be! Clealry he's been hired to do their evil bidding and pump out a quickie turd.

But I guess it would be a poor excuse for an online fanboy who didn't outright assume he knew every single detail that went on behind studio office doors and start trumpeting his manufactured worse-case-scenario as fact.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #57
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Peyton Reed's Fantastic Four

Peyton Reed's Fantastic Four 11/01/02
‘Fantastic Four’ Screenwriter Spills Super Secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan J Downey
How’s this sound as an opening sequence? Adoring groupies cram New York’s Fifth Avenue, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Invisible Woman and Mr. Fantastic, played by Charlize Theron and “Angel”‘s Alexis Denisof. The Thing, voiced by John C. Reilly, rips the top off an armored car and yanks out two would-be robbers. Paul Walker shouts, “flame on!” as his Johnny Storm character ignites into the Human Torch, saving a female fan from another thief’s rocket launcher.

Two hours later, just before the credits role on “The Fantastic Four,” New York’s favorite superheroes buzz away in their Fantastic Car, with Johnny dropping 8×10 photos to fans in a scene shamelessly lifted from the Beatles’ “A Hard Day’s Night.”

That’s what audiences will see if all goes according to plan for “Fantastic Four” screenwriter Doug Petrie, who together with director Peyton Reed (“Bring It On”) is bringing one of Marvel Comics’ most beloved properties to the big screen.

“The big debate between everybody was giant monster or no giant monster,” Petrie said of the flick’s proposed opening scene. “I wanted the poster for the movie to be the cover for the first issue, where basically you do a live-action version of a giant monster ripping through Fifth Avenue and Fantastic Four kicking its ass. For budget reasons, it went to something else, but it’s still a giant opening scene. It’s ‘A Hard Days Night.’ It’s everybody going to watch the Beatles.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #58
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Wish we'd got that... Would have certainly been interesting

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #59
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigaat View Post
Tarantino's Deadpool
Would be ****ing awesome

Old 06-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #60
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
Would be ****ing awesome
A 70's style Heroes for Hire would have been better. But Tarantino said over a decade ago he'd never touch a licensed property because he couldn't handle the fanboys endlessly picking apart every decision he made. And they would.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #61
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
A 70's style Heroes for Hire would have been better. But Tarantino said over a decade ago he'd never touch a licensed property because he couldn't handle the fanboys endlessly picking apart every decision he made. And they would.
He has expressed some interest of late of doing a Bond film. He also wrote a script for Silver Surfer in the late 90's.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #62
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Not everybody is cut out for Marvel. They have a specific plan, and so far their plan has worked and make consistent quality films that are better than the average comic book film. They've taken risks, and still taken chances on filmmakers. But if you don't fall in line what they want, then you don't belong. It's not "Oh my God, corporate suits are intruding upon filmmakers artistic integrity! Oh, these auteurs are suffering!" *throws up in mouth* These filmmakers are facilitators. Whether you're an Edgar Wright or an Alan Taylor. And so far, as Machiavellian as it's been, it's gotten highly successful results, commercially and among the crowds and fans. Their quality control has been nothing but solid. And honestly, if anyone thought Wright leaving was completely out of the question, you are naive if you haven't look at their track record. I was worried this would happen a while ago. But I'm actually surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Let's face it, few filmmakers, even Wright, has the control and clout to call the shots on any comic book film or high budget tentpole film, no matter where he works. If anything, there's more yes men working at WB for Snyder and Goyer. Because at this point, who's gonna come in and tell Chris Nolan, Zack Snyder and David Goyer what they're doing is flawed? Hence MOS. That is the film that NEEDED what Marvel has.
I agree with a lot of this. Peyton Reed is not exactly my favorite director, but as others have said, he is competent and has somewhat of a visual flair. That really helps considering he won't have much time to prep this film, and largely will be a slave to whatever Adam McKay does with the script. We can question the Marvel Method all we want, but to this point, it has yielded films I quite enjoy. Like many pointed out, when the Russos were hired, everyone complained and thought Cap 2 was going to suck. Look how that turned out! That said, I doubt Ant-Man ends up being Cap 2 level amazing. But, I can see this being a fun piece of entertainment. That is basically all I am asking for at this point. I do think getting Adam McKay to work on the script was a great decision.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #63
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

^^ QT said Kill Bill was set in his own version of an MCU. Most of the characters have heightened physical powers and theres rules/connections/backstories just like in a comic book world.

For instance, one detail is a Hattori Hanzo sword has to get blood on it once its unsheathed or else the user will be cursed after putting it back. (see Elle Drivers outcome)

QT working for Marvel would be like having another Joss Whedon if he was more open to using CGI, digital, writing something adapted from another source. QT would never do it of course.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #64
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I don't see Quentin Tarantino ever doing anything for the MCU, or any established comic book property, really. He's an iconoclast, who marches to the beat of his own drum. If people think that Edgar Wright was not an easy fit with the studio, that's nothing compared to QT.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #65
craigaat
World's Greatest Spy

Now that Paradox has mentioned it, I need QT to direct a MCU film. It's got to be Deadpool, and it's got to have Wolverine and Punisher in it. I need it!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #66
terry78
I don't die, fool

I frankly am disappointed he never decided to do Punisher.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #67
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Scoresse should do punisher

Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #68
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I don't see Quentin Tarantino ever doing anything for the MCU, or any established comic book property, really. He's an iconoclast, who marches to the beat of his own drum. If people think that Edgar Wright was not an easy fit with the studio, that's nothing compared to QT.
True, he never would.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #69
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I agree with a lot of this. Peyton Reed is not exactly my favorite director, but as others have said, he is competent and has somewhat of a visual flair. That really helps considering he won't have much time to prep this film, and largely will be a slave to whatever Adam McKay does with the script. We can question the Marvel Method all we want, but to this point, it has yielded films I quite enjoy. Like many pointed out, when the Russos were hired, everyone complained and thought Cap 2 was going to suck. Look how that turned out! That said, I doubt Ant-Man ends up being Cap 2 level amazing. But, I can see this being a fun piece of entertainment. That is basically all I am asking for at this point. I do think getting Adam McKay to work on the script was a great decision.
Plus, McKay has worked with Rudd before and comes from the Judd Apatow School of "re-working scripts while shooting."

Also another McKay regular is already in the MCU:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #70
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Well, they found somebody. It still worries me though, especially with them not moving the release date back to compensate for them having to re-write the script again.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #71
Chris B
Side-Kick

I've never seen any of his films, but do remember when he was going to make a FF film back in the early 00's. Regardess, good luck to him, and we can still get a good Ant-Man movie. Though I agree thety should push the film back to the Fall.

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #72
seahammer
Asgardian

You know, for all we know McKay has been working on the script since he met with them, what, a couple weeks ago now. Maybe there's been more going on at marvel studios than we know.

seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #73
terry78
I don't die, fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
You know, for all we know McKay has been working on the script since he met with them, what, a couple weeks ago now. Maybe there's been more going on at marvel studios than we know.
Impossible. As fans with no inside knowledge whatsoever we know everything.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #74
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Impossible. As fans with no inside knowledge whatsoever we know everything.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch or how I would use Beta Ray Bill in the MCU

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #75
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Not only that, but he already said when Sin City came out that he wouldn't want to deal with that kind of fan expectation or baggage that comes with that kind of project. I don't remember what he said verbatim, but more or less, he knows how we can be and he just doesn't want to deal with it.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote