The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #76
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: Peyton Reed to direct, Adam McKay to rewrite Ant-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
You know, for all we know McKay has been working on the script since he met with them, what, a couple weeks ago now. Maybe there's been more going on at marvel studios than we know.
I maintain that the business with Wright could have been going on for quite some time before we became aware of it.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #77
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Well it probably goes without saying, but the trailers probably not going to have the "from the director of..." line in there.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #78
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Well it probably goes without saying, but the trailers probably not going to have the "from the director of..." line in there.
They've never really done that with any of them, have they?

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 AM   #79
smashmode
House Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/0...ght-departure/

Interesting. And they're not moving the release date. So one has to assume the re-writes will happen as they start filming in order to make the release date.

And for a movie like this, where it's unknown how much the audience will respond, adding to the budget this late in the game can't be good.

I know Peyton Reed was in the running to direct the original Fantastic Four.

Fine by me, lets get this thing shooting.

smashmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #80
Dyson
Side-Kick

Is Peyton Reed anyone’s ideal choice to direct a big on-screen version of “Ant-Man”? I’m inclined to say most likely not. That said, I do think Reed is a solid choice for this. While his past films such as “The Break-Up” and “Yes Man” are pretty standard comedies, what we are getting is a director with lots of experience in filmmaking. The guy knows his stuff and it’s clear that he’ll work well with Marvel on this. I think it’s good that Reed has a strong background in directing both feature films and TV projects. With a TV movie or TV series, the prep isn’t very long at all (A typical TV movie preps for only a month and the actual film shoot is between 15 to 20 days) so it’s good to know Reed knows how to prep fast. I hope he gets at least bare minimum 4 to 6 weeks to prep, but we’ll see.

Plus, knowing he wanted to bring the Fantastic Four to the big screen years ago tells me that he also has a high interest in comic books. Also, Reed has worked with high profile actors before like Jim Carrey and Vince Vaughn, so we know he can work with performers like Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas. It’s true that Reed doesn’t have the unique visual eye that Edgar Wright has, but Reed is coming on board as a solid storyteller and filmmaker. I think with the a good script, a good DOP, a talented visual effects team and the great cast that he has been given, he can make a fun, entertaining heist film that just so happens to feature a Marvel superhero. A good time at the cinema is all I’m looking for with “Ant-Man”, to be honest.

Speaking of the script, what gives me assurance that this film will turn out just fine is that Adam McKay is rewriting the Wright/Cornish screenplay. I’m very sure that the Wright/Cornish screenplay is quite good, but maybe it just didn’t mash well in the overall Marvel film universe. That is very possible. Wright is a unique filmmaker with a specific style and approach to his films. A stand-alone Edgar Wright “Ant-Man” would probably be pretty damn awesome, but we are dealing with connecting it to the previous Marvel films. I think McKay would have been a fantastic choice to direct (a more interesting choice to direct over Wright, IMO), but the fact that he has signed up to rewrite the script and get it ready for filming next month sets my mind at ease with this project. McKay is a talented writer who, I think, will flesh out the script and rework any issues with it. As fine as I am with Peyton Reed directing this, the saving grace for this film for me is McKay rewriting it.

I really think pushing the release date back to maybe November 6th or 13th 2015 would be best, however, I think the combo of Reed and McKay is great and I believe they will deliver a very entertaining “Ant-Man”.

Also, expect main crew like DOP Bill Pope and production designer Marcus Rowland to be gone from this project already as they are loyal to Wright. I think that it is most likely that a new DOP, production designer and film editor are currently being brought on board.

Last edited by Dyson; 06-08-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #81
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

I don't know what to think of this, I can't be excited like I was before. I guess I will just wait and see how things turn out.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #82
bapi
Side-Kick

"This makes six Marvel directors in a row (Whedon, Black, Taylor, Russos, Gunn, Reed) who are 6+ years removed from last nationwide release."

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #83
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I'm just glad this age of directorlessness is over.
Amen.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #84
CaptainWagner
Rebellion Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigaat View Post
Now that Paradox has mentioned it, I need QT to direct a MCU film. It's got to be Deadpool, and it's got to have Wolverine and Punisher in it. I need it!
-Perhaps a Tarantino-directed Marvel Now Thunderbolts?

-As for Peyton Reed, I think a lot of people are really overreacting. From his plans for the Fantastic Four, it's clear that he cares about the source material.

-As for the "rewrite", I really don't think they plan on starting from scratch. The most likely scenario is, given how long Wright was on the project, that Marvel needed to adjust the script to accomadate the changes in the MCU and overall make the film more integrated to the universe. Wright felt that it changed his vision for the stand alone film he wanted, and left. Now McKay will be tasked to fix the changes that needed to be made.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #85
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

We'll probably get a loosely rewritten Ant-Man script that keeps the basic storyline, but has more McKay/Reedisms added. If that means comedy and MCU coolness, sounds good to me!

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #86
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
"This makes six Marvel directors in a row (Whedon, Black, Taylor, Russos, Gunn, Reed) who are 6+ years removed from last nationwide release."
That is pretty crazy.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #87
BeserkerHilf
Side-Kick

What does that mean? They haven't made a movie in 6 years?

The Stack Podcast - A Pop-Culture Junkies podcast not limited to comics.
BeserkerHilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #88
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Haven't made one that had a full theatrical run, aye.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #89
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

McKay has experience in writing scripts during shooting, so that part is no big deal.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #90
smashmode
House Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I guess I will just wait and see how things turn out.

Might be for the best, lower the hype.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #91
smashmode
House Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
McKay has experience in writing scripts during shooting, so that part is no big deal.
Plus he us a huge marvel fan, so you know he will respect the material

Old 06-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #92
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Hopefully he'll add small roles for James Westfall and Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #93
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Hopefully he'll add small roles for James Westfall and Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.
He'll probably make Pena's character killed by a Trident.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #94
Pond
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Haven't made one that had a full theatrical run, aye.
Whedon co-made (he was every day on set, co-wrote it, produced it, shot extenive second unit work... yes. Co-made. His fingerprints are all over it) Cabin in the Woods, even if its opening was delayed due to MGMs bankrupcy. But if we talk of made... And still, opened one month or so earlier than Avengers.

Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #95
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Whedon co-made (he was every day on set, co-wrote it, produced it, shot extenive second unit work... yes. Co-made. His fingerprints are all over it) Cabin in the Woods, even if its opening was delayed due to MGMs bankrupcy. But if we talk of made... And still, opened one month or so earlier than Avengers.
They're talking about actually being the credited director so the statement he hadn't directed a full-length film in 6 years still stands.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #96
Dyson
Side-Kick

I think if McKay had been given the time to do the rewrite and do proper prep as the director, he would be directing the film for sure.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #97
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah. The problem is THE TIME to do it.

-- Anonymous, 2016
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #98
Dyson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Yeah. The problem is THE TIME to do it.
I think when Marvel approached Adam McKay to direct the film, he very much wanted to take the director's chair. I think Marvel handed him the current script to read over before making his decision and once he started reading it, he saw the flaws in the story. He probably realized there was no way he could prep the film as the director within the time frame that Marvel was giving him as he would want to do a rewrite of the script himself to make it better. Every film McKay has directed he has written as well. Had Marvel said they would push the film back by a few months, I really think McKay would be the new “Ant-Man” director. But seeing that Marvel wants to start filming ASAP, McKay dropped out of the running to direct but I believe Marvel really wanted McKay on the film so how. I think the obvious compromise was asking McKay to rewrite the script but have Peyton Reed prep to direct the film at the same time.

I’m kind of hoping that if things run smoothly between McKay and Marvel that maybe McKay will get a chance to write and direct a Marvel superhero film.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #99
HUMANIMAL

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Belie...Man-43366.html

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #100
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson View Post
I think when Marvel approached Adam McKay to direct the film, he very much wanted to take the director's chair. I think Marvel handed him the current script to read over before making his decision and once he started reading it, he saw the flaws in the story. He probably realized there was no way he could prep the film as the director within the time frame that Marvel was giving him as he would want to do a rewrite of the script himself to make it better. Every film McKay has directed he has written as well. Had Marvel said they would push the film back by a few months, I really think McKay would be the new “Ant-Man” director. But seeing that Marvel wants to start filming ASAP, McKay dropped out of the running to direct but I believe Marvel really wanted McKay on the film so how. I think the obvious compromise was asking McKay to rewrite the script but have Peyton Reed prep to direct the film at the same time.

I’m kind of hoping that if things run smoothly between McKay and Marvel that maybe McKay will get a chance to write and direct a Marvel superhero film.
But remember when McKay didn't take the director's chair, "supposedly" this project was such a disaster that he didn't want any part of it? LOL

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 06-08-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote