The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #76
Aejej
Banned User

Default Re: What you didn't like about Ant-Man - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Marvel movies can't seem to stand dramatic tension. They always break the moment with comic relief.

Ain't that the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Would've also been nice if the new prototype Wasp suit wasn't only shown in the end credits but was something that Hank had shrunken down and was carrying, and he allowed Hope to wear it in the end sequence to assist with the heist or the escape.

They may have wanted to show it, but didn't want to spend the money. I would like to have seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwing06 View Post
Scotts ex wifes boyfriend chasing him and his crew around .Waste of time and film
That's how you know it's a true Marvel film: things fall apart at the seams in Act III.

Aejej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #77
Mark5878
Banned User

I thought it could have been funnier in some places, and maybe less funny in other places.

Mark5878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #78
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwing06 View Post
Scotts ex wifes boyfriend chasing him and his crew around .Waste of time and film
I think they had that in there as a typical heist trope where someone is chasing the crew and threatening to put a spanner in the works.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #79
FVD
Ascendant Here On

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
Was not a fan of:

- Scott's crew
- That kiss between Scott and Hope, while amusing, was still a pretty stereotypical thing to happen in a superhero movie IMO. I think they work great as friends
- No Marvel Studios Fanfare (I just like it! Also think it strengthens the sense of continuity among the MCU movies)
- Didn't like how they changed the "Break into a place and steal some stuff" line to one with an expletive
Luckily here in Australia (and I imagine will be the same in NZ), we got the expletive. I'm assuming the change must have been added to the UK release?!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #80
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVD View Post
Luckily here in Australia (and I imagine will be the same in NZ), we got the expletive. I'm assuming the change must have been added to the UK release?!
The UK release had "break into a place and steal some ****."

It was only the trailer version which said "steal some stuff." I would've preferred it kept as that.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #81
Macho Mantis
Banned User

Mostly the humour. I thought it was OK but could have been cleverer.

Macho Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #82
Gaztacular
Newbie First Class

The only thing I didn't like was how inconsistent they were with Ant-Man's mass. First they start off saying that all the atoms stay there and a man stays man weight. Scott cracks tile, falls through the floor, and throws guys. Like a bullet. Okay. I'm on board. But then how is he also light enough to be carried by a single ant and hang off the edge of gun barrels without dislocating shoulders? And how can Pym carry around an entire tank?

Shoulda just said he shrinks without losing his strength because Pym Particles comic craziness movie magic full stop. No trying to put in a half right sci-fi BS explanation that creates inconsistencies in the movie.

Liked or loved everything else in the movie.

Gaztacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #83
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

An article here talking about some of the flaws and inconsistencies of Ant-Man:

http://www.avclub.com/article/ant-ma...rge-and-222782

Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #84
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

I thought the editing was a bit clunky, especially during conversations. The camera would just cut from one face to the other face in an amateur fashion. No interesting shots, there was no spice.

I hated the Russian guy in Scott's crew. Stereotypical hacker character with generic lines and a stupid accent.

Aziz

Last edited by Greens; 07-24-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #85
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

The Falcon scene- Didn't belong, completely unnecessary

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #86
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

The only thing that kind of bothered me was some of the dialogue when Cross and Scott were in their suits. It sounded like they were explaining what they were doing by talking to themselves. I don't know. It just sounded weird to me. To be fair, what do you do with dialogue when you are alone? If they aren't saying anything, it seems weird and if they are, they're talking to themselves.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #87
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5575 View Post
Peggy Carter has been in the past 3 Marvel moves. While a like the character, its time to move on. I'm pretty sure that a 60-70 year old woman would have retired from Shield by now. Not to hate, but Peggy's strong presence in the MCU is making it difficult for Sharon Carter. Peggy will also be in Civil War, playing a corpse. I'm pretty sure Marvel will find a way to shove her in another movie. Maybe Doctor Strange talks to the deceased Peggy Carter on the astral plain in his movie.
True, I don't get the obsession with Peggy Carter, it worked in TWS but wasn't necessary in AoU and Ant-man

And on the other hand it pains me that they wasted a good actor like Tommy Lee Jones in TFA's silly role and now he can never appear in a Marvel movie again

Old 07-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #88
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
True, I don't get the obsession with Peggy Carter, it worked in TWS but wasn't necessary in AoU and Ant-man

And on the other hand it pains me that they wasted a good actor like Tommy Lee Jones in TFA's silly role and now he can never appear in a Marvel movie again
Tommy Lee could return, with the right flashback scene .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #89
Drz
Real Hero

I really disliked the way they handled Hope, she should have just been given the costume on this first movie and all the arguments they tried to do to keep her away just seemed forced, the audience didn't buy it.

I also think the Ant-Man action sequences lacked good pace, swiftness and proper cuts to them.

"Social critics don’t mean a thing to me. It’s really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what I’m doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #90
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
I really disliked the way they handled Hope, she should have just been given the costume on this first movie and all the arguments they tried to do to keep her away just seemed forced, the audience didn't buy it.
Actually the arguments made sense, Hank lost his wife over this mess, he sure as hell didn't want his daughter to follow her too

The things that didn't make sense were

1. When Pym mentions that the particles effected him, Lang never asked how, he should be concerned since he was being asked to don the suit, they should have gone the simpler way and Pym should have said that he cannot handle the practicalities of the job being a 70 year old

2. It was pretty clear to Lang and everybody that why Pym didn't wan't Hope to wear the suit, and Lang was pretty chill to the fact that he was being made a 'sacrifice' or 'collateral' so to speak, someone who wouldn't worry Pym if he got lost in the quantum

Old 07-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #91
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Tommy Lee could return, with the right flashback scene .
Yeah, but not in a different significant role though

Old 07-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #92
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

What makes you think he wants a bigger role?

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:37 AM   #93
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Falcon scene- Didn't belong, completely unnecessary
I disagree

It allowed us to see what Lang can do vs an Avenger - I know, Falcon is not very powerful but keep in mind it was Lang's 1st mission.

Also, Falcon got to know him and knows what he can do, and we all know he and Cap are going to need him as we saw in the end credits scene

So yes, that scene had a purpose

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:37 AM   #94
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Actually the arguments made sense
Sure in some sense, butn when you see how capable Hope was all the time, it just becomes a bore that we'd have to wait for a sequel or an Avengers movie until we see her.
Quote:
1. When Pym mentions that the particles effected him,
I don't think Pym was being literal, I believe he was referring to the suit taking a toll on him due to his wife's death.

Quote:
2. It was pretty clear to Lang and everybody that why Pym didn't wan't Hope to wear the suit,
Yes, but all the constant arguments towards it we're so boring, unconvincing and then the movie ends with her getting the suit.

I am telling that she should have had the costume in the very first place, not this sequel baiting.

"Social critics don’t mean a thing to me. It’s really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what I’m doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #95
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

Yeah because Hank losing his wife on a mission and it devastating him and Hope for decades would make him want to give her a Wasp suit right away so she could maybe die in the same way. Thats logical.

Thats a complaint that holds no water.

Falcon scene not making sense: Hes an Avenger who works at the Avengers facility, he detected Scott was there doing something and tried to stop him AND most importantly it connected Scott to Civil War, hence the need for that scene.

I will say that out of all the characters Kurt (Dastmalchian) was very bland. I liked him but he didnt add that much to the film, he just had a Russian accent and said a few lines. Whereas Michael Penas Luis was a highlight for me, he was funny, cool and added that quirky comedic aside the film needed.

Last edited by TheVision; 07-25-2015 at 07:44 AM.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #96
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I will say that out of all the characters Kurt (Dastmalchian) was very bland. I liked him but he didnt add that much to the film, he just had a Russian accent and said a few lines. Whereas Michael Penas Luis was a highlight for me, he was funny, cool and added that quirky comedic aside the film needed.
Luis was great. Kurt was there to be the hacker and say generic tech mumbo-jumbo during the operation.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #97
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

Those guys reminded me of the crew in Mission Impossible, which I liked, I just wish they were a bit more defined and comedic besides Luis.

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #98
Drz
Real Hero

Hope trained Scott Lang and showed greater ability at commanding the Ants than Scott did, but again the movie tries to tell the audience in a bad way that Hope cannot take a risk but someone else must bear this risk because she is the daughter of Hank Pym, when she learns her mother's true fate the movie immediately realizes it's being too dramatic and has Scott pull off jokes and then ends the movie with finally Hank Pym giving his daughter a permission to be a hero in a sequel which may never come out or a cameo or two in some Avengers flick.

There is no logical reason why the attack on Darren couldn't have had both the Ant-Man and Wasp duo up.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #99
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Those guys reminded me of the crew in Mission Impossible, which I liked, I just wish they were a bit more defined and comedic besides Luis.
I think they should've been a bit more skilled too, and also the actual heist should've had some more Mission Impossible elements with more deception, distraction etc. I felt it was a bit lacking in this regard compared to films like Mission Impossible, Sneakers or even National Treasure.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #100
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aejej View Post
Ain't that the truth?
I think the only genuinely tense scene in a Marvel movie that was not broken up with any comedy relief was in Iron Man. The scene where Obadiah catches Pepper in his office looking through his computer after she just found out that he was the one who had Tony kidnapped by the terrorists.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote