The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #126
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Default Re: Kevin Conroy's thoughts on bale and ledger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I liked how Gordon was trying to help him out, looking the other way for long periods of time so Batman could try to leave, and saying "Thanks Batman, we would've never found that evidence without you."
I was lolling. hard.

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #127
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan View Post
He was still out in the street when he called Alfred, and he had to be loud.
He was speaking right into a mic, he didn't need to be loud. Either way, it was still clearly a Batman voice, rather than a distressed Bruce voice.

Quote:
when he was talkiing to Lucius, he was talking as Batman.
I know. But you had just said Bruce doesn't need to use the batvoice in front of Rachel because she knows who he is already. Fox knows who he is, Bruce knows it, it's just an unspoken acknowledgment. Didn't stop him from still keeping up the bat persona when talking to him privately, for whatever reason.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #128
DarKJediKnight
Banned User

Isn't the Batman voice generated by a device attached to his Batsuit?

DarKJediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #129
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKJediKnight View Post
Isn't the Batman voice generated by a device attached to his Batsuit?
I can't imagine how that would work, since nothing covers his mouth, nor does there appear to be any device in his mouth that attaches to the suit.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #130
mothy
Side-Kick

i think in a realistic setting, batman probably would sound like bale does. in other fantasy based batman mediums, we buy into the deception and don't question it. i don't think they could get away with it as easily in the world of the dark knight. dent, gordon and company all know bruce wayne and how his voice sounds. he has to totally disguise that. during the finale, he's dealing with them both.

mothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #131
Crook
Banned User

Disguised voice ≠ Bale's batvoice

Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 AM   #132
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Kevin Conroy is inclined to have his own opinion.

But I honestly don't give a s**t what Conroy thinks of how Bale played Batman/Bruce Wayne, I thought Bale played the best Batman/Bruce Wayne in the live action Batman films. Also, I'm tired of hearing that Bale was a better Bruce Wayne but Keaton was a better Batman.

I don't have a problem with Batman growling in the Nolan films, in fact I liked it but it had a more impact in Batman Begins than in TDK, I think that's because Batman was written less intimidating in TDK and was no longer seen as a mythical giant half human/half Bat creature, in the eyes of criminals and Bale didn't make much of an effort as he did in Batman Begins to be very intimidating as Batman.

Also, I think Kevin Conroy voiced the best Batman/Bruce Wayne in the animated Batman cartoons. Whenever I read the Batman comics books, Conroys voice comes to mind. I also thought that he did as good of a voice over in B:AA as he did on BTAS.

Last edited by returntovoid; 11-04-2009 at 05:14 AM.
returntovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #133
DarKJediKnight
Banned User

Quote:
I can't imagine how that would work, since nothing covers his mouth, nor does there appear to be any device in his mouth that attaches to the suit.
From the Goofs section of TDK page in IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/goofs

Quote:
Incorrectly regarded as goofs: Batman's voice has been criticized for being artificial-sounding and unnaturally gravelly. In the promotions for the preceding movie, Batman Begins, the cowl is revealed to have a microphone/speaker that alters and amplifies Bruce Wayne's voice to disguise his identity and increase intimidation.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #134
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntovoid View Post
Kevin Conroy is inclined to have his own opinion.
That b*stard!

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #135
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
From the Goofs section of TDK page in IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/goofs
Wow. Where was the microphone located in the cowl?

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #136
DarKJediKnight
Banned User

Quote:
Wow. Where was the microphone located in the cowl?
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/batsuit2.htm

Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #137
Crook
Banned User

It'd be nice if they cited that information. This is the first I've heard of that, and I followed production on both films quite closely.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #138
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
It'd be nice if they cited that information. This is the first I've heard of that, and I followed production on both films quite closely.
Yeah, because I'd like to know how microphones in Batman's ears could alter his voice and where in the cowl the speaker broadcasts from.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #139
DACrowe
Side-Kick

In AA, which I just completed, Conroy sounded perfect, as always. There were a few lines that were a bit stale, but it seemed like the writing (due to so much for a video game) was repetitive in parts and Conroy didn't try and spruce it up. The game over screen for Joker in Challenge mode he sounds like a square superhero, but you have to understand you are playing as Joker and are seeing this dullard from his perspective. As Batman he sounds quite intimidating when you play as him and he starts making threats to Ivy or whoever.

As for his remarks on Bale. I think Bale is a fantastic Batman/Wayne, whatever. He nailed the character from all sides. But yeah, the voice is too much. I thought so in BB, so come TDK after getting over the first time he talks ("Because I'm not wearing hockey pads!") which I admittedly chuckled at in theaters, I accepted it and moved on. It works. It would work better without it, but after the initial shock in both films upon first viewing, I wouldn't call it distracting or jarring or a deal breaker. I am unsure why so many people make such a big deal out of it.

But for vocals of course Conroy is the best and it is hard to dispute what he says. However, I think Bale is easily the best Batman actor in live-action and will probably always be so, though I do like Keaton a lot. Bale just nails the essence of the character that the previous 4 actors couldn't (though Keaton came close). So, I'm not going to rag on his voice ad nauseum thusly.

--John Adams
DACrowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #140
Bats
Winged Freak

Quote:
Same here, but it sounds very vaguely familiar. Any mention of it was done way before the film came out, and even then, probably only once.

I think they scrapped it anyway. If you remember in BB when he has Rachel in his cave, he sounds almost normal. I don't buy it for either film now anyway. Bruce was trained to use theatrics, etc. in order to become "more than just a man", and I think it's a natural voice he uses.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #141
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerLedger View Post
I must be the only one who absolutely loves Bale's Batman voice no matter what in both BB and TDK. Kevin Conroy didn't get the point but I think what Bale did with his voice was genius. I recall Bale saying once he put on the batsuit he felt like a creature rather than man. If you want to strike fear in the mind of criminals, it makes sense to mask your voice as well. It completes the whole disguise in my opinion.

Kevin Conroy's voice is iconic but I feel it only works for Timm's version of Batman. Hearing his voice in Gotham Knight and Arkham Asylum is just awkward and doesn't match at all. I actually thought his voice was terrible in Gotham Knight. It also bugs me that he's returning to voice Batman in the upcoming Public Enemies. I mean... I want to hear other people take on Batman's voice for a whole new vision of Bats. It's just more exciting and original.

I feel Rino Romano (is that his name?) did an excellent job as Bats in The Batman... and Diedrich Bader is kicking ass in The Brave and the Bold! Jeremy Sisto was... alright in The New Frontier but still fresh and exciting.
Couldnt agree more!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #142
metalhead_dave
Why am I back on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerHaslett View Post
Kevin Connroy=incompetent. Any TRUE artist would never bash someone elses work, or speak like they could do "better". Movie and cartoons are the complete opposite. Get Kevin in front of the screen for a movie, then see how many fan boys verbally suck his dick.

Anyway, to the people who say Kevin Conroy's Batman voice has gotten to sound more heroic and cliched super hero, I disagree. In fact I see it as getting a saltier and more bitter voice with age. And for Gotham Knight and Arkham Asylum he's kept that more bitter voice.

Usually I'll use that salty voice in my head during any Batman comic taking place later in Bruce's career(War Games, RIP, Superman/Batman comics) and I'll use a BTAS style voice during any comic taking place.

But to say Kevin Conroy is only a good Timm Batman is ludacris. I mean, I can't count how many people have said that they picture Kevin's voice as Batman whenever they read a comic. That right there, shows that for a lot of people, Conroy has been able to affect people that much. That's why people call him the definitive Batman voice.

As for Arkham Asylum, I'll admit he's started to slip a bit. Just some things he says sound off or un natural. But I'll forgive it.

metalhead_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #143
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Quote:
That could be incorporated into the 3rd suit. Some sort of voice modulator. They can play with the tones as they go into production to see what works, but its not that big of a deal to me. I think its fine

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #144
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
That's bullcrap. They re making stuff up.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #145
frodawgg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead_dave View Post

But to say Kevin Conroy is only a good Timm Batman is ludacris.
totally off-topic, but i find it hilarious that you used the rapper's spelling of the word, however unintentionally it may have been.

frodawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #146
bane
TEH PUFFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
That's bullcrap. They re making stuff up.
No they're not

Old man look at my life,
I'm alot like you were.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #147
souloffire
Side-Kick

The combination of the Bat suit and Bale's voice ruin the movie for me. I love Ledger's Joker but other than that I don't care much for the movie.

souloffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #148
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Conroy and Hamill do portray the definitive versions of their characters, IMO.
Indeed,

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #149
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I was unaware of what Conroy though, until I read a tweet from Kevin Conroy. Where is hated on Bale's Batman.

It was...strangely hurtful to read he didn't like Bale's Batman.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #150
batpirisss
Side-Kick

Keaton was a much better Bruce Wayne. Bale had a better story to exist in. There has been no Barman on the screen yet.

batpirisss is offline   Reply With Quote