The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #626
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,674
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Your average student won't be in any field of science. Considering 50% don't "believe in evolution", I don't see that changing any time soon.

You might also find that students are more engaged when you teach them something they can use in their life. Doesn't have to be at the cost of other subjects. Though, hopefully they'll be better at that, than they are at biology (or God forbid, geography).

But hey, why change now. We'll just have a whole generation of people who can't name the capital of Germany, or change a flat tire.

Thundercrack85 is online now  
Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #627
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 37,327
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Your average student won't be in any field of science. Considering 50% don't "believe in evolution", I don't see that changing any time soon.

You might also find that students are more engaged when you teach them something they can use in their life. Doesn't have to be at the cost of other subjects. Though, hopefully they'll be better at that, than they are at biology (or God forbid, geography).

But hey, why change now. We'll just have a whole generation of people who can't name the capital of Germany, or change a flat tire.
You are not incorrect for saying that students are more engaged when they are learning things they can use in their life. That being said, a good teacher can take a subject and show them how they can use it in their life. Many many things can be thrilling to learn even the seemingly boring things. All it takes is a passionate educator. You can't just rattle off facts and make them memorize lists. You have to engage their minds, encourage them to think, support them etc. Be alive when you are in the classroom. Be spontaneous. Keep them guessing. Keep them asking questions. Dont just lecture, lecture, lecture. Sadly some educators treat teaching like a 9-5 job. You come in, you do your work, and you go home. Teaching is a calling and requires a certain passion. You are afterall educating the next generation.

Our education system is in a sorry state, and it is handicapping our future generations which in turn is handicapping this country. We are just letting it wither and fade.

__________________
"When the snows fall, when the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives."

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Marvolo is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #628
Mandalore464
New User
 
Mandalore464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 990
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Edit : Deleted


Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #629
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,674
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

That's a fake.

Though the headline is just surreal.

Thundercrack85 is online now  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #630
Mandalore464
New User
 
Mandalore464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 990
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Edit : Deleted


Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #631
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,894
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
You do realize though that the Supreme Court makes rulings on laws which affect you directly, right? This really should be emphasized more in civics.

I'm afraid that most of the statistics show that Generation Y is the "dumbest" generation, at least the adults of the generation are. Not only can most not name the capitals of Europe, they also don't know how to change a tire. They are also the least informed politically.

Might still change. But things aren't looking good.
It is emphasized, it is taught, and time is spent on it.....whether or not someone's chooses to use it, and remember it is another thing.

If you do not think about, use, etc....what you learn, you will loose it at some point.

People do not necessarily like talking politics, or anything to do with the government, therefore they will probably loose some of the details they learned back during their Senior year of high school.

I have forgotten pretty much all of my Algebra and Geometry....why? because I have not used much of it since I was a Freshmen in college. Thank God that the PPST, the test I had to take to get into the certification program at my college was simple, basic Algebra...because by that time I hadn't had Algebra in years. I remembered a few basic things, which got me through that portion of the test.

A student believing or not believing in evolution is NOT going to keep them from going into Science. Most of the teachers I have taught with, save a few, are staunch Christians, and they teach Science, one of the strongest Christians, who is the Teacher that sits in on our student led Bible Study talks about Evolution only because he is allowed to also talk about Creationism and before becoming a Science teacher was a scientist at NASA...he no longer has to worry about that because he is now the Robotics teacher at the Junior High we both started teaching at this year.

Yes, as posted in another post.......if teacher's are not passionate about what they teach, the teaching field is really not an occupation they should be a part of......in any way. If you don't have a passion for young people, and a passion for the field of study you have chosen, teaching can be the hardest job, the most stressful job, and the most limiting job there is......to me, teaching is one of the easiest jobs and I teach everyone from the utmost genius level to those that are barely reading at a 3rd grade level, in the same day.....I teach them the same thing, nothing watered down, I simply teach them differently....

What I think is happening in education today is the fact that teachers do all the work in the classroom. It should be the students that go home exhausted at the end of the day, not the teacher. I teach with this in mind....."I am the guide on the side, not the sage on the stage."

Right now I'm teaching 21st century students with 20th century technology, but that will change next week when all of my technology is FINALLY set up in my classroom. It has been tough teaching in a brand new state of the art school, that wasn't ready for opening...... : /, All of the other department heads at my school chose to become curriculum specialists and also be the department chairs, therefore they spend little time in the classrooms.....I couldn't do that, I chose to stay in the classroom as well as be department chair......teaching is the coolest job there is, I can't see myself doing anything else.

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Last edited by Kelly; 09-23-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Kelly is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #632
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 34,369
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

I am pretty solid at geography. Its not exactly the most difficult subject in the world.

I can find know most capital cities around the world and can find many countries on a map.

I don't expect everyone to be geographical experts but some basic level of things most people expect like knowing Africa is a continent and not a country or knowing the capitals cities of countries like France or Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
America isn't Western Europe. You can disappear. If you want to.

Not to mention arm yourself.

There's a reason a lot of people fleeing Islamist rage come to America to kick back and relax.

Most Americans don't appreciate how big their country is (half also can't find it on a map... but that's another story).
You can disappear in western europe very easily. They don't even check passports when you cross borders of most European countries and there is still very low populated areas of europe in which someone can hide easily enough.

Hell you could go to northern areas of scandinavia and people won't find you if you want.

You could also arm yourself easily enough in europe.

__________________
All aboard the Pork Chop Express!
chamber-music is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #633
Spider - Man
Banned User
 
Spider - Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,472
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464 View Post
OK, before we go on, two things :

I offer you sincere apologies for all the times you felt offended and insulted by my posts. You behave like an ass but so did I, and I certainly don't take pride in that.
I apologize too. I realize my faults when posting on here and wish I could come off more even keeled like marvolo or even midnyte sun but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464
The one thing I would like us both to agree on is this : by using the name "muslims" to refer to the extremist minority, you are insulting the ones you call the moderate majority. Because they suffer from their attacks as well, they don't deserve to be called the same. I try to put myself in their position, and if you can do it, you will I'm sure understand.
I try to put myself in the position of the families of the 9/11 victims. It seems to me that if you can sympathize with both groups (and I can) I would think a compromise that would work better for both groups would be for the musloms to build a mosque in a different location. This would showthe victims' families that the real muslims are not associated with the ones that commited the 9/11 attacks and that they, unlike the terrorists want to be wiling to compromise and show that they care for the feelings of the vistims' families. Also the terrorists would not in any way be able to take some sort of sadistic pleasure from seeing that a muslim (which, to them, they represent) mosque is going up where they (who think tjemselves muslim) hit America with its greatest terrorist attack.

THere are many other places to place a mosque but only one place that the victims' families would like to remain solely as a memorial for their loved ones and not be replaced with a mosque representing the religion under which the terrorists perpetrated their attack. If the muslims truely sympathized with the victims' families, I think they would see that this would be the ultimate olive branch to them from the muslim community and ultimately the best way to show that they are NOT associated with the terorists. Your idea might be logical but you should know that emotions frequently go against logic and make no mistake when talking about the families of the victims, we are primarily talking about emotional motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464
If you want to call the extremists "muslims" and add "moderate" to the rest of them, you have all the rights to do it. I personally think it's not fair because the general term should refer to the norm, or majority, but whatever.
I can certainly call the terrorsts anytrhing other than muslims if that would make the real muslims feel less insulted.

2 things though:
One, I can call the terrorists teddy bears but it won't make them sweet and cuddly. I don't really care what we agree to call them, they ARE growing in number AND hatred for all things American and Jewish and do state that they will take over entire countries and whatever you seem to think, the numbers show their power and influence is growing at an alarming rate.

Let me ask you, what would you say about someone who had run around saying to the European Jews in the late 30s/early 40s, "Hey don't fear the NAzis. They're not trying to take over. And even f they were they would be squashed before they could do anything."? In hindsigfht that would seem foolish right? I say turning a blind eye to the possibility of something simlar happening with these radical terrorists would be foolish as well.

Second, the reports of muslims coming out to stand up to the terrorists in libya is the first time I have ever heard of them doing such a thing. Let me repeat, thru all the terrorist attacks throughout the world for how many years I don;t know, this is the FIRST TIME I have EVER heard of the muslims coming out in opposition of the terrorists. My view is if American service men and women can fight and die fighting the ideology of these terrorist cedrtainly it is past time for the true representatives of the religon the terrorists claim to operate under came out and said something. WHether they are the mojority or not, they have certainly sat by silently and allowed the minoriy terrorists to be the most voal public representatives of that religion. You yourself made the statement about 'my kind' (presumably a minority in number) were why the rest of the world thinks badly of America. Couldn't this also be the case with Islam? If they wont come out in defense of their own religion and reclaim it from the ones who choose to make their versinof it the one most perceived by the public as the true one, why should anyone else including you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464
I just certainly don't want the muslims to feel that we consider them the same as terrorists. They need to stand up to the extremists dragging them through the mud, and they don't need to feel that the western world has given up on them as "another branch of that terrorist cult".
Again if they don't want to be considered associated with the terrorists, they need to do more than sit back and let people like you defend their honor on some comic book message board but that's the way I see it. Between the muslims and the western world, as far as I can tell the western world is the only one actively fighting the terrorists. If they want the western world to not associate them with the terrorists they need to be more publicly aligned with us in opposition to the terrorists.

Spider - Man is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #634
Spider - Man
Banned User
 
Spider - Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,472
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Your average student won't be in any field of science. Considering 50% don't "believe in evolution", I don't see that changing any time soon.

You might also find that students are more engaged when you teach them something they can use in their life. Doesn't have to be at the cost of other subjects. Though, hopefully they'll be better at that, than they are at biology (or God forbid, geography).

But hey, why change now. We'll just have a whole generation of people who can't name the capital of Germany, or change a flat tire.
'Crack, I don;t know where you get your stats but I would just like to point out some misconceptions by the 'more enlightened'.

I've never understood how those who discount Creationism deem themselves more open minded than those who believe in it when those who believe in Creationism ALSO belive in evolution. They just don't believe that LIFE BEGAN as a product of evolution. We can certainly understand the concept of survival of the fittest and how crratures of a certain species with longer necks who could reach leaves higher up on the trees would survive out over the ones with shorter necks and carry that trait forward to future generations. See, creationists don't discount evolution but we also do not believe that humnas evolved from apes or some single-celled organsm. It alwys amuses me how the ones who scoff at creationism seem to defend evolution as if it is fact instead of theory as it truely is.

Even evolutionists will call DNA the 'blueprint for all life.' Well isn;t a blueprint a designed plan for building something?

Another thing, the very ones who defend the 'truth' of evolution, who support survival of the fittest, who would condemn interference by nature documentors in filming a lion chasing down and killing a helpless gazelle because that is nature taking it's course, who feel that animals are just as important as humans and have all the rights that we do, are usualy the same ones who are in support of taking more from those who have more (the fittest) to give to the ones apparently incapable of doing as well on their own, who support punishing those who overacheive in school (the fittest) by dumbing down education for the rest who are not as able to make the grade. The film Idiocracy perfectly paints the upshot of this premise - "During the prologue, a narrator (Earl Mann) explains the story's premise: that in modern society, natural selectionis indifferent toward intelligence, with the result that in the future, stupid people (who reproduce more often) will greatly outnumber the intelligent."

Anyone who thinks that people who believe in Creationism are by default stupid, scientifically ignorant should read this thread - http://www.evcforum.net/dm.php?control=msg&t=16487 - they might be surprised that in addition to the fact that some o the most intelligent scientific people in the world believe in Intelligent Design but that there is strong evidence to support the idea that many things could NOT have come into being as a result of evolution.

Spider - Man is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #635
Spider - Man
Banned User
 
Spider - Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,472
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464 View Post
And of course, this doesn't help :



Didn't know "Toolooz, France" (actually spelt Toulouse) was located in Serbia.

Also, the French president at the time was Nicolas Sarkozy, not Claude Guéant (one of his Ministers).

Also, this "crazy buddhist madman" was actually a "crazy Islamist madman".

Also, the "Asian community" who the French president apparently said sorry to was actually the Jewish community.


Bottom line : Republican or not, you don't have any excuse for watching Fox News. This TV channel just turns people into dumbasses




I highly recommend the movie "Detachment" to see what a lot of teachers (it's set in the US but applies to basically everywhere else in the world) have to face on a day-to-day basis. Teaching is not an easy job nowadays, even for the most passionate guy in the world. I agree with your post though, teachers should be passionate about their jobs and about the kids they teach.
Just one example of how people who hate Fox News just because they represent a conservative viewpoint will believe anything negative said about them. I flipped back and forth between Fox, MSNBC and CNN the night that the riots were just starting to spread to 21 other countries. Fox was always reporting on this because it was, you know, news. CNN and MSNBC had Chriss Matthews, Rachel Maddow and Anderson Cooper talking, laughing and making jokes about Mitt Romney, the Republican PArty, anything but what was happening all over the world. The next night they jumped on the bandwagon to get behind the "it's about the video, not the White HOuse or them hating America."

I don't see anyone making fake screen shots of reps of CNN and MSNBC to make them look like idiots. Why do they need to do this with Fox? Is this the nly way they can make there viewpoint seem valid?

Spider - Man is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #636
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,894
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464 View Post
And of course, this doesn't help :



Didn't know "Toolooz, France" (actually spelt Toulouse) was located in Serbia.

Also, the French president at the time was Nicolas Sarkozy, not Claude Guéant (one of his Ministers).

Also, this "crazy buddhist madman" was actually a "crazy Islamist madman".

Also, the "Asian community" who the French president apparently said sorry to was actually the Jewish community.


Bottom line : Republican or not, you don't have any excuse for watching Fox News. This TV channel just turns people into dumbasses




I highly recommend the movie "Detachment" to see what a lot of teachers (it's set in the US but applies to basically everywhere else in the world) have to face on a day-to-day basis. Teaching is not an easy job nowadays, even for the most passionate guy in the world. I agree with your post though, teachers should be passionate about their jobs and about the kids they teach.

The only dumbasses I see are the ones that thought that was real.......

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #637
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,894
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan sjet View Post
And it could be built closer, what's your point?
If you can't figure it out....sorry. Its called a compromise between parties. One group wants it out of the shadow of the WTC, which is what I said....one group wants it close. Compromise....not rocket science.


BUT....we have a thread for this conversation....so lets move it to the appropriate place. : )

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...349603&page=11

move the conversation to here.....

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #638
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,674
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
'Crack, I don;t know where you get your stats but I would just like to point out some misconceptions by the 'more enlightened'.

I've never understood how those who discount Creationism deem themselves more open minded than those who believe in it when those who believe in Creationism ALSO belive in evolution. They just don't believe that LIFE BEGAN as a product of evolution. We can certainly understand the concept of survival of the fittest and how crratures of a certain species with longer necks who could reach leaves higher up on the trees would survive out over the ones with shorter necks and carry that trait forward to future generations. See, creationists don't discount evolution but we also do not believe that humnas evolved from apes or some single-celled organsm. It alwys amuses me how the ones who scoff at creationism seem to defend evolution as if it is fact instead of theory as it truely is.

Even evolutionists will call DNA the 'blueprint for all life.' Well isn;t a blueprint a designed plan for building something?

Another thing, the very ones who defend the 'truth' of evolution, who support survival of the fittest, who would condemn interference by nature documentors in filming a lion chasing down and killing a helpless gazelle because that is nature taking it's course, who feel that animals are just as important as humans and have all the rights that we do, are usualy the same ones who are in support of taking more from those who have more (the fittest) to give to the ones apparently incapable of doing as well on their own, who support punishing those who overacheive in school (the fittest) by dumbing down education for the rest who are not as able to make the grade. The film Idiocracy perfectly paints the upshot of this premise - "During the prologue, a narrator (Earl Mann) explains the story's premise: that in modern society, natural selectionis indifferent toward intelligence, with the result that in the future, stupid people (who reproduce more often) will greatly outnumber the intelligent."

Anyone who thinks that people who believe in Creationism are by default stupid, scientifically ignorant should read this thread - http://www.evcforum.net/dm.php?control=msg&t=16487 - they might be surprised that in addition to the fact that some o the most intelligent scientific people in the world believe in Intelligent Design but that there is strong evidence to support the idea that many things could NOT have come into being as a result of evolution.
Oh sweet Jesus.

First thing, look up what the word "theory" means in science. It's not what you think it means.

Second, yes you do discount evolution. We are apes. Get over it.

Third, half of America believes that God created humans in their present form. Not theistic evolution, literal creationism.

And yes, if you're believe in creationism, you are either very uneducated, or very miseducated.

Thundercrack85 is online now  
Old 09-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #639
Spider - Man
Banned User
 
Spider - Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,472
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Oh sweet Jesus.

First thing, look up what the word "theory" means in science. It's not what you think it means.

Second, yes you do discount evolution. We are apes. Get over it.

Third, half of America believes that God created humans in their present form. Not theistic evolution, literal creationism.

And yes, if you're believe in creationism, you are either very uneducated, or very miseducated.
Like I said, narrow minded. Give my regards to Jane Goodall.

Spider - Man is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #640
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,674
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Can't tell if you're being serious.

Thundercrack85 is online now  
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #641
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,894
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

We are not going to get into this conversation there is a thread in Community to do that....

As I said...WE ARE NOT, GOING TO GET INTO THIS DISCUSSION HERE.....IT STOPS NOW!....

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #642
Spider - Man
Banned User
 
Spider - Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,472
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Can't tell if you're being serious.
Do you believe in God?

Spider - Man is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #643
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,894
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

MOVE ON........last warning.....

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #644
Spider - Man
Banned User
 
Spider - Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,472
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
MOVE ON........last warning.....
No warning necessary, kel. Seems you posted the first warning same time as I posted my last comment.

Spider - Man is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #645
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 69,894
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
No warning necessary, kel. Seems you posted the first warning same time as I posted my last comment.
Thank you....

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #646
Spider - Man
Banned User
 
Spider - Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,472
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Thank you....
So forceful yet so sweet!

Spider - Man is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #647
floreairfoot
There's a storm coming.
 
floreairfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
The only dumbasses I see are the ones that thought that was real.......

__________________
For the loot, honey, for the loot.
floreairfoot is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #648
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol
 
Midnyte_Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 5,669
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
you instead take your focus away from the acts of the minority and instead focus on how that unfairly makes the world look at all muslims. Why the double standard?
Yes...typically the act of the minority shoud not represent the acts of the majority. Just like a African American gang banger doesn't represent African Americans. A white man in the Midwest isn't necessarily a redneck alcoholic meth cooker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Well, I think everyone would say it would be foolish to have hung a swastika outside a Jewish synagogue after WW2
So now Muslims in New York are equated with Nazis. Yeah, that'll make you seem more sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Likewise, out of sensitivity to the feelings of the families of the victims of 9/11, a representation of the religion whose most vocal proponents perpetrated the 9/11 attacks should not be put on the site of that crime.
If they swung a flag of Al Qaeda and put a statue of Bin Laden, I'd agree. But this is a Muslim community center made for Muslims and citizens of New York, spearheaded by Muslim-American entrepeneurs and American civic leaders who advised the president of the United States Yeah, exactly the same thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
My point is it hasn’t been just 1000 graduates but that many many times over, unless again, you imply that an effort of this kind has only just begun which would be silly to presume. You would think that there would be some indication that the cumulative effect of this effort was having a positive effect on the perception of the west by muslims in the middle east but I see none at all.
Yes it would be silly to presume by you that this is something new. It has been going on since the 60's in many nations in that region and that is why most Muslims do not hate Americans, but hate American policy in the region. The tired cliche of "They hate our freedom" is utter BS. As for what you 'presume' specifically, that Muslims are terrorists and shouldn't be allowed to build mosques near ground zero because it's an Al-Qaeda victory building is simply ignorant.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Probably. But as I said before, look at the sheer volume of media (tv, movies, literature, youtube vids, etc.) that mock Christ and those who worship Him. Should all Christians be out in the streets rioting/protesting over this?
You really can't compare the two in that sense. Here's an example. I have two dogs. Let's say one dog , I mistreated for most of it's life, beat, and used in dog fights. The other dog was pampered, fed nice meals, and had a nice roof over their home. If I push one of them, which one is most likely to bite me back?

On top of that silly comparison you want to make, most Europeans and Americans are non practicing, some studies suggest only 18.7% of Christians in the US go to church. Plus, their lives, even the ones below the poverty line are better than those in the Middle East living under dictatorships and monarchies from their colonial past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Remember, it is the perception (just as you say it is the majority of muslims’ perception about Americans) that the same people who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks are the same people who want to build a mosque at that site. Shouldn’t that demand some sensitivity?
No, and I'll tell you why. Airplane hijackers brainwashed in a militant camp in Afghanistan do not represent all Muslims. Although people on the right would LOVE to (and have) combine the two. When Ahmad Shah Masoud, a Muslim, was fighting (he was later assassinated by Al Qaeda) a lonely guerilla struggle against Al Qaeda and the Taliban, nobody said he was the same as them. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church, Arkan's Serbian tigers, The Lord's Resistance Army in N. Uganda do not represent Christians. If you can't tell the difference between Al Qaeda and Muslims, then sensitivity is the last of your problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
You said “The fact of the matter is, the governments of Muslim Republics wouldn't allow such programs to air offensive videos in the first place” when your following sentence made it clear that they in fact have no power to not allow such things.
Banning youtube to ban a repulsive video (that nobody wants to see) that will encite violence vs banning a video people actually want to see is quite different. Bollywood soap opears are banned in some of these countries for promoting 'bad behavior' yet they are available in most shops and people still install satellite dishes that get past the restrictions. You still can't see the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
these violent protests you speak of. Were these carried out by extremists or the peace-loving population of the muslim community?
Let's make something clear, the majority of the protests for the Koran burning Pastor in Florida, the Koran Burning at the US Base, the repulsive video made by supposed Christians, were non violent. There were probably hundreds of thousands of people across the Muslim world who protested in major cities and universities. In Afghanistan and Libya where rule of law is tenuous, the government complained that the miltant and hostile elements had infiltrated the protests and encited the mob to break down police barriers. That's when the violence spiraled out of control and people died. They didn't die in Jakarta, Mumbai, the US, or Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Again, if education is the key I would have thought there would not have been so many muslims ignorant of the reality of the real situation.
Are you saying that America's biggest investment in the Middle East was education? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
My take is that it is easier for them to protest America than to stand up to the militant minority that gives them such a bad name in the rest of the world.
Sometimes their governments allow people to protest America to get people to stop protesting them. This happened a lot in Syria, Palestine, Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. Pakistan is a good example in this. There is a lot of controversy at the use of drone assassination in the frontier region that borders Afghanistan. Thousands of civilians have been killed by these American led assaults against the Pakistani Taliban. Government and even politicians in Pakistan have come out to protest these 'unauthorized' attacks on their soil. But most locals there say that these 'targets' are found by Pakistani informants paid by the Pakistani army and gov't to find their hideouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Bottom line, it is the minority who call the shots and so represent Islam as a whole. They seem to hold the power and call the shots.
They may have a louder bark than the moderates who never make the news, but that doesn't mean you have to believe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
In regards to the bolded sentence, I’m not sure if you mean the extremists, the rest or all of them together.
Mostly the Arab nations, but some Asian have a victim mentality, and rightly so. They are the victims of bad governance from foreign appointed leaders, and subsequent manipulation by foreign powers. Most of their nations were invented, (Jordan, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Pakistan) and have unnatural borders created by western powers. If the ME was split along real ethnic lines with a suitable majority ethnic group, the ME would be an entirely different place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Do you deny that there are those who are the most public representatives of Islam such as Ahmadinejad
Ahmadinejad is not a representative of Islam. He's considered an apostate by the majority of Sunnite Muslims. Islam doesn't have a representative because they don't have a Pope. Ahmadinejad doesn't even have majority respect of his own Iranian Shi'ites. Religious scholars have some say in the Muslim world, but they are few and far inbetween..most are restricted from talking in fear of reprisal from the government that tries to control them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
They (the minority) want to take over the world, they’re seeing this goal more successful in Europe each day.
Last time I checked, the biggest terrorist attack on European soil was by a Norwegian who hated Muslims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
There are tons of news media video on youtube and not from Fox news that uncovers what is going on. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xRmK...eature=related

While you argue about which portion is/is not the true representative of Islam, they (the minority) are slowly growing, spreading their influence, exerting their will and meeting less and less resistance because people like you want to say “Hey, the majority of them are peaceful” like that makes a difference when the peaceful don’t exert their majority advantage to quell the rise of the minority.
Your perception is wrong. They're not growing at all. Look objectively at it and the picture becomes a lot more clear. The EU publishes an annual terrorism report, and in 2011, the EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report (TE-SAT) reported that LESS THAN 1% of all terrorist attacks in Europe were caused by Muslims.

Source: http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/11/upd...ks-by-muslims/

In spite of facts, the media (cable news primarily) barrages us with the threat of “Islamist terrorism.” The data, however, does not support such fear-mongering. Yet, it is amazing how many people (probably even you) will persist in the belief that “Islamist terrorism” is a growing threat to America and Europe. It reminds me of all the fear mongering I remember watching on a documentary about World War II and how the US perceived the Japanese.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
It seems you are more intent on advocating for the passive majority than for denouncing the actions of the minority
How many times do people have to denounce it until you'll believe that they don't represent them? I don't think there is a number or an amount. I simply believe you're xenophobic and there is no way to reason or legitimately persuade you that you shouldn't equate the two together.


Last edited by Midnyte_Sun; 10-06-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Midnyte_Sun is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #649
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,133
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

The more I see stuff like this the more I start to think that there will never be peace in that region. You got terrorist blowing up Israeli citizens and then you have the military/police in the occupied territories abusing and killing Palestinian. It's an endless cycle.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 10-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #650
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol
 
Midnyte_Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 5,669
Default Re: Discussion: North Africa & Southwest Asia Regional Issues II

Not really. The main problem lies with Europe and America has allowed the main aggressor, the Israelis, in building their colonial experiment with impunity. They have had no problems bulldozing Muslim and Christian cemeteries, making Palestinian towns disappear, and they also reward extremists to build and live on occupied territory by connecting and annexing it to Israel.

The cycle is not endless, the Americans and Europeans just prefer ignoring it because it matches their strategic objectives. They are essentially playing dumb.

Midnyte_Sun is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.