The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old Today, 07:44 AM   #651
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I meant that because he's Terrax the Tamer.
D'oh, that went completely over my head.

Old Today, 07:50 AM   #652
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
I find it odd that some posters think Marvel would immediately disclose any terms of deals involving character exchanges. Marvel is known for keeping tight lipped about things unless its for hype. Feige has only made comments about the FF. He HAS NOT and WILL NOT say anything concerning other supporting characters.

And sources can't report on anything they don't know about only speculate. Something we do all the time.
And that's what makes it fun. Even when we know certain studios control certain characters, we don't know when or how they'll be used, but we can say: "I'd like to see this." or "Maybe they'll do this." and that sort of discussion is pretty much what these forums are all about.

And the Fact that other characters that haven't yet been announced might have changed hands through as yet undisclosed deals just adds an extra dimension to the discussion and fun.

Old Today, 01:09 PM   #653
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
"Proof" please?
There you go:

http://theplaylist.net/ryan-reynolds...ns-2-20161114/

Quote:
What does not reporting on something have to do with whether or not something happened? We just don't know how who got what and for what, but that isn't proof. I think Ego being in GotG2 is "proof" that a property (at least temporarily) changed hands.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with a property changing hands for X-Men TV rights. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:04 PM   #654
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Why have I suddenly received an email from Amazon recommending the Fant4stic BluRay? This is supposed to be based on my interests. I have no interest in that movie. I didn't even ask for that recommendation.

Old Today, 02:06 PM   #655
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Why have I suddenly received an email from Amazon recommending the Fant4stic BluRay? This is supposed to be based on my interests. I have no interest in that movie. I didn't even ask for that recommendation.
YOU posted a link here a week or so ago, and I clicked on it, and now I'm getting the damn thing popping up on facebook etc.

Old Today, 04:07 PM   #656
Zarex
Side-Kick

The problem so many of us are having with the deal as announced is that we've been told since before there was a Marvel Studios that the 1993 X-Men character live action licensing agreement between Marvel and FOX was a horribly one sided disaster for Marvel. Avi Arad has confirmed in interviews that he was taken to the woodshed by Rupert's negotiating team given his lack of understanding of the movie business, and the original signed agreement involved Marvel receiving Net points on the X-Men films. Meaning Avi locked his company into an in perpetuity agreement involving hundred of Marvel characters in their most popular franchise for little or no compensation. Sean Howe confirmed in his book that the deal was later converted to gross points, but even the new deal was for as little as 1% of the BO gross for the X-Men films and the spinoffs.

We've been told about the lopsided nature of the deal when Marvel went into and came out of bankruptcy, when Marvel decided to finance their own film slate and again when the Mouse bought out Ike. And this awful deal was again in the news when Marvel stopped making merchandise for FOX movies (the agreement also included FOX getting a significant cut of tie in licensing fees), downplayed the mutants in their books and promoted inhumans and erased X-Men characters from T shirts featuring classic comic book covers.

So when we were informed FOX was chomping at the bit to alter the 1993 agreement, it is entirely reasonable to suspect that Disney/Marvel would not make an awful deal even worse by granting more rights to the licensee without significant compromising from the other side. All of us hoped that it would be FF character rights, though it could have involved a bigger cut of the X-Men films, Star Wars rights or something else.

The idea that Disney/Marvel renegotiated a much loathed in perpetuity agreement solely for a minority stake in a few TV shows on a competitor's network, strengthening said competitor's hold on a Disney owned IP, doesn't make even a teeny bit of sense. We've received precious little information on what either side received, so here's hoping some loose lips spills the beans soon.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:20 PM   #657
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
There you go:

http://theplaylist.net/ryan-reynolds...ns-2-20161114/

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with a property changing hands for X-Men TV rights. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

When did the TV agreement actually get negotiated? I see your point, but please lay it out as I'm not that familiar with the details. Sometimes, there are side agreements and addendums modifying the original agreements (I know because I've negotiated them myself).

I just think you might consider stopping demanding the "proof" when someone speculates (and freely admits it) and stop inferring what people secretly want to believe.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; Today at 04:52 PM.
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:51 PM   #658
Art Freak
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The problem so many of us are having with the deal as announced is that we've been told since before there was a Marvel Studios that the 1993 X-Men character live action licensing agreement between Marvel and FOX was a horribly one sided disaster for Marvel. Avi Arad has confirmed in interviews that he was taken to the woodshed by Rupert's negotiating team given his lack of understanding of the movie business, and the original signed agreement involved Marvel receiving Net points on the X-Men films. Meaning Avi locked his company into an in perpetuity agreement involving hundred of Marvel characters in their most popular franchise for little or no compensation. Sean Howe confirmed in his book that the deal was later converted to gross points, but even the new deal was for as little as 1% of the BO gross for the X-Men films and the spinoffs.

We've been told about the lopsided nature of the deal when Marvel went into and came out of bankruptcy, when Marvel decided to finance their own film slate and again when the Mouse bought out Ike. And this awful deal was again in the news when Marvel stopped making merchandise for FOX movies (the agreement also included FOX getting a significant cut of tie in licensing fees), downplayed the mutants in their books and promoted inhumans and erased X-Men characters from T shirts featuring classic comic book covers.

So when we were informed FOX was chomping at the bit to alter the 1993 agreement, it is entirely reasonable to suspect that Disney/Marvel would not make an awful deal even worse by granting more rights to the licensee without significant compromising from the other side. All of us hoped that it would be FF character rights, though it could have involved a bigger cut of the X-Men films, Star Wars rights or something else.

The idea that Disney/Marvel renegotiated a much loathed in perpetuity agreement solely for a minority stake in a few TV shows on a competitor's network, strengthening said competitor's hold on a Disney owned IP, doesn't make even a teeny bit of sense. We've received precious little information on what either side received, so here's hoping some loose lips spills the beans soon.
This. How hard is it to understand? It's simple logic. But guys, I'd almost prefer you stop having to say variations of this over and over and over again because it just will not sink in with a few people. Round and round we go. I know these posters aren't trolls but you can tell when someone just loves to argue for the sake of arguing when they reply to multiple quotes line by line. Like we're in court or something.

Old Today, 04:55 PM   #659
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
When did the TV agreement actually get negotiated? I see your point, but please lay it out as I'm not that familiar with the details. Sometimes, there are side agreements and addendums modifying the original agreements (I know because I've negotiated them myself).

I just think you might consider stopping demanding the "proof" when someone speculates (and freely admits it) and stop inferring what people secretly want to believe.
What people really want to believe here really isn't secret.

- CM Punk
Old Today, 04:55 PM   #660
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post

Where are you coming up with a "minority stake" though?

- CM Punk
Old Today, 05:02 PM   #661
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
YOU posted a link here a week or so ago, and I clicked on it, and now I'm getting the damn thing popping up on facebook etc.

Lol, I forgot I did that. But in my defence, you probably spurred me on to post it.

Old Today, 05:16 PM   #662
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
What people really want to believe here really isn't secret.
NVM. You're clearly able to understand people and get into their psyche in ways that the rest of us can't.

I, for one, don't want to believe the rights have reverted. That would be rather silly. I "do" believe they will. Time will tell.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:16 PM   #663
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
We know that they were talking about the TV agreement some time in late 2014. It was officially announced, (I believe) in September 2015 (I'm frankly too lazy to look up the exact date), so it's nearly impossible that the Ego/NTW trade was directly tied to the TV deal (unless they made the deal and kept it secret for a long time.) I was forgetting about the Deadpool side of it yesterday when I was thinking about it - I was focused on Ego, and the timing on that end would have worked.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; Today at 06:19 PM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #664
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where are you coming up with a "minority stake" though?
20th Century FOX Television and FX Networks are handling the physical production on the announced shows and they are airing on FOX owned networks. It is reasonable to suspect the lions share of the profits are staying with Rupert. Otherwise, why would FOX push so hard for the deal? It's tough enough to make money in peak TV, and probably impossible if a majority stake is ending up in the Mouse's pocket.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:44 PM   #665
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
We know that they were talking about the TV agreement some time in late 2014. It was officially announced, (I believe) in September 2015 (I'm frankly too lazy to look up the exact date), so it's nearly impossible that the Ego/NTW trade was directly tied to the TV deal (unless they made the deal and kept it secret for a long time.) I was forgetting about the Deadpool side of it yesterday when I was thinking about it - I was focused on Ego, and the timing on that end would have worked.
I remember people being shocked when we discovered Ego was with the FF the same way we were when we found out about Kang. Kang was the guy that was going to supersede Thanos as the next big bad so many of us thought. Then BOOM...........Kang is with FOX....SURPRISE!!!!

People were starting to doubt which bad guys Marvel still had in their possession.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:50 PM   #666
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
I remember people being shocked when we discovered Ego was with the FF the same way we were when we found out about Kang. Kang was the guy that was going to supersede Thanos as the next big bad so many of us thought. Then BOOM...........Kang is with FOX....SURPRISE!!!!

People were starting to doubt which bad guys Marvel still had in their possession.
The FF package is amazingly extensive. Sucks that Fox doesn't know how to even start using those characters.

But if Fox has any sense at all, they'll get some value out of ones Marvel can use. That's why it would make sense that characters might be changing hands one way or the other.