The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #926
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
It would mean Batman in Reeves’s film is beloved by children enough for companies to make toys of him. And that they would own a licence to reproduce his image and equipment.

Surely this requires Reeves’s Batman to be an upstanding, popular, accepted and beloved hero for the American people? Someone who toy companies feel comfortable marketing to small children. Certainly not a terrifying vigilante who beats criminals half to death, and spends his entire time trying to be as intimidating, scary and demonic as he can.

No, the Batman who is beloved by children, and is made into toy figures is Adam West’s Batman.
You’re overthinking it.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #927
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
Me neither.
Quote:
The main thing Shazam is reminding me of at the moment is Jingle All The Way.

This is not a good thing.
Yeah, I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I feel Aquaman a lot more at the moment than I do Shazam.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #928
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
You’re overthinking it.
If you think so, but I’d say that this all has huge ramifications for the next Batman film, wouldn’t you say?

That the DCEU Batman is a public enough figure for toy companies to make accurate figures and props of him will surely have an impact on the story.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #929
Ninjablade
Stuck in a web

Not necessarily. They just don't have to mention it. I mean in Suicide Squad a dude had a Batman mask during that Joker raid, so it's not like Batman merchandise is a completely new concept.

It's really not a huge deal.

Ninjablade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #930
Drizzle
Senpai Goldblum

Quote:
If you think so, but I’d say that this all has huge ramifications for the next Batman film, wouldn’t you say?

That the DCEU Batman is a public enough figure for toy companies to make accurate figures and props of him will surely have an impact on the story.
Or more likely, they'll just ignore it entirely.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #931
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Fair enough guys. As I’ve said over in the Shazam thread, I’m not keen on a Matt Reeves Batman movie where Batman is a merchandised person, who is loved by the world’s children, and is a public enough figure to have accurate toy figures made from him, but if it doesn’t trouble you, then that’s fine.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #932
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Agree with m1ll3r. They can create Batman stories that children can enjoy, but putting merchandise into a film spoils it for me. Doesn't align with Batman being terror of criminal underworld in my mind. Dark take on the character, of course.

Also, don't bring Suicide Squad as an example for anything. Not that film.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #933
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

Quote:
Raised this in Shazam thread, but worth discussing here too, I think. This picture is from Shazam:

...so Shazam is in the DCEU. This means the ‘real’ Batman has had toys made of him.

Matt Reeves’s Batman movie is also supposed to be in the DCEU according to many, including Reeves on Twitter.

So, Reeves’s Batman movie will feature a Batman who has toys and merchandise on toy store shelves in America.

How does this strike you?
Better than one who murders people, I guess.

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #934
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Better than one who murders people, I guess.
Why do we have to choose between two ill concepts...

Because DCFU.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #935
Timebomb
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fair enough guys. As I’ve said over in the Shazam thread, I’m not keen on a Matt Reeves Batman movie where Batman is a merchandised person, who is loved by the world’s children, and is a public enough figure to have accurate toy figures made from him, but if it doesn’t trouble you, then that’s fine.
The DCEU is a circus act in my opinion anyway. But I am confused here. Is the Reeves's Batman the same Batman we have seen (minus Ben) or is it a new Batman? That to me is the key. You can't have toys of Snyder's Murderman and if it is a new Batman and had toys made of him , then he probably is too public for my taste.

That being said, they are probably just using the Batman and Superman symbols to show these kids idolize and dream about being heroes which to me tells me that they are making Shazam part of the wrong comic book movie universe and it's probably way to early to do it .

can you imagine that same image with a picture of a Superman we all love and a figure of the Flash and and a Green Lantern we are all familiar with? Definitely would be more impactful.

Last edited by Timebomb; Yesterday at 06:58 PM.
Timebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #936
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

The continuity can be soft, whatever.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #937
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Why do we have to choose between two ill concepts...

Because DCFU.
Baby steps

We’ll have the definitive live action Batman by 2035

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #938
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
I'm still curious to see what Cavill would do in the role with a different director (and no, Whedon doesn't count).

Whedon was not allowed to make a movie. He was allowed to shoot scenes that would need zero special effects and connect it to scenes with special effects that were already shot AND make it as a coherent a story as possible. It was a suicide mission from the start.

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #939
jmc
away for a while

There is something really weird about there being Batman merch within the film universe.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #940
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
There is something really weird about there being Batman merch within the film universe.
Do you not like product placement?

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #941
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can’t quite bring myself to believe that some random action figure in the background of a scene that’s dominated by Superman merchandise will affect Reeves’ vision in any way.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #942
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Maybe more so with the Snyder-era Batman (and his weird background choices) and not so much for the post-Snyder one.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:07 AM   #943
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
I can’t quite bring myself to believe that some random action figure in the background of a scene that’s dominated by Superman merchandise will affect Reeves’ vision in any way.
Well, you say that, but the very fact an action figure of Batman exists means that he's a popular public figure, yes? That's a pretty big departure from the way Batman has been represented in live action previously.

Look, the only point I am trying to make in all of this, is that I personally have something of an issue with Batman being portrayed as a character who is in the public eye enough to be loved by children, and to have toys made out of him that accurately reflect what he looks like.

It just doesn't seem the right way to go moving forward with the DCEU.

I cheerfully accept that I might be in the minority on this. I certainly made the mistake of raising the issue in the Shazam thread, and got jumped up and down on by the DCEU Defenders, so I guess most aren't bothered by it. That's fine.

I suppose I just prefer Batman to be a figure in the shadows, an urban legend, a bogeyman - who isn't widely known and recognised by lots of people. Everything about that action figure, and the plastic recreation batarang, suggests that this isn't the case with this Batman, moving forward into Matt Reeves's movie. He's clearly going to be a more accepted 'superhero' in the eyes of the DCEU public. But I guess that's the 'Justice League' Batman, which is not my favourite variation on the character by any means. I prefer my Batman solitary, scary, unknown, and in the darkness. I concede that this isn't the way he's going to be going forward, and I have to accept that

Old Today, 05:43 AM   #944
Roose Bolton
Son of Katas

I doubt they even acknowledge the toys in Reeves film.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #945
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Maybe that action figure isn't an official toy, but an internet thing. I can imagine some private person making those and selling them online. I can also imagine kids buying them, even if they portray a murderous vigilante*. Kids are weird.

* I hate that Batman of DCEU is that. No matter how many good Wonder Woman or Aquaman movies we get, that's going to hold me back from truly enjoying the universe.

AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:03 AM   #946
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Raised this in Shazam thread, but worth discussing here too, I think. This picture is from Shazam:

...so Shazam is in the DCEU. This means the ‘real’ Batman has had toys made of him.

Matt Reeves’s Batman movie is also supposed to be in the DCEU according to many, including Reeves on Twitter.

So, Reeves’s Batman movie will feature a Batman who has toys and merchandise on toy store shelves in America.

How does this strike you?
Batman used to be sane?

I don't know what to think anymore. BvS broke a lot of minds with how inconsistent smart it is with a wanted murdered having an active searchlight assigned to summon him on the roof of the building of the establishment that chase him, and then we see Batman fully armored later with guns ready in a warehouse using his searchlight on the GCPD building to summon Superman.

Too much brilliance, it overwhelms my simple Saturday morning Marvel loving mind.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote