The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #376
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Default Re: Marvel NOW: Spider-Man Renew Your Vows

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
Honestly, I'm saddened, but not surprised that the sales are low. It's niche book from a pocket universe.
Much like Spider-Girl, Marvel throws it out there, doesn't promote it at ALL, lets it die on the vine while producing SOLID stories (while promoting the hell out a book that is DIRECTLY opposite of it like ASM), and then proclaim that "No one really wants it".
We've got "Dead No More", which led to "The Clone Conspiracy". Tie-ins galore. Who wants to spend money on this title featuring a now 7 or 8 year-old gone status-quo which Marvel doesn't seem to want to promote?

I don't blame readers...and to an extent, I can't blame Marvel. People keep buying their event books, so they keep making them.

Me, I only read "Spidey" for it's 12 issue run, then it ended, and now I'll read Renew Your Vows until it ends. I gave Dan's ASM title a good 4 or 5 issues after the most recent relaunch. Just not for me. We've gotten away from what I think Spider-Man should be, so I don't read it.

To each his own. Personally, I think NOT having Stegman on a regular Spidey title is a crime. His art is AMAZING! Conway has shown from his writing that he gets Peter. It honestly reminds me of how good Dan was back around "Big Time".
It just feels like Spidey, so I'll keep reading it. I'll buy issues, I'll buy trades, whatever I can.

Here's hoping for a long run. No regrets.
Excellent post.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #377
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick

Seems Marvel is promoting it by having MJ on all the alt covers in June? I think...

Ben_Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #378
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Issue 5 is out today!

Old 03-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #379
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Stegman's cover for issue #8

Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #380
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

As usual, Shinstyle rocks it. Dang that's a gorgeous cover and cool new symbiote look.

Issue 5. OH man,

Annie May's adorable

Seeing Pete and MJ just lounging around the house after a long day was a great, relaxing, human moment.

Normie is getting creepier, but oh so interesting

The BANTER. OH, the banter was great! It was nice seeing a back to basics, fun look at some of the thugs. I love how bad Flint was with his metaphors. Also loved that redesigned Shocker cameo, that's a nice look!

Also, one thing I love is how Pete and Mj's humour works in synergy. It's nice having him bounce quips between them again.

This was a nice stand a lone issue. It felt just like the old times where there was a simple tale of family night+ plus heroics + developments of something more.

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #381
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Hey guys! Long time no see!

Anyways, yes, I too have been following Renew Your Vows and I think it's great. Did a review for the latest issue here, and you probably track down the others I did for the first four, too: Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2016) #5

Brief thoughts about it. Stockman, while decent in some panels, isn't quite at the same level as Stegman in terms of the art. But I did think Conway script made for a pretty solid and cute done-in-one story. All in all, I really enjoyed it.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #382
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

stillanerd! Good to see you round these parts! I remember digging your reflections in the past!

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #383
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Hey guys! Long time no see!

Anyways, yes, I too have been following Renew Your Vows and I think it's great. Did a review for the latest issue here, and you probably track down the others I did for the first four, too: Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2016) #5

Brief thoughts about it. Stockman, while decent in some panels, isn't quite at the same level as Stegman in terms of the art. But I did think Conway script made for a pretty solid and cute done-in-one story. All in all, I really enjoyed it.
Hey, it's great seeing you on here. Imo your reviews have been spot on and I agree about Stockman. A very good artist indeed but I think Stegman does a much better job with characters and especially with the dynamic essence, if you can call it that. And Conway's writing is so natural. He's done great at making Annie so likeable and capturing the human element between Pete and MJ.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #384
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
stillanerd! Good to see you round these parts! I remember digging your reflections in the past!
Thanks, my good sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Hey, it's great seeing you on here. Imo your reviews have been spot on and I agree about Stockman. A very good artist indeed but I think Stegman does a much better job with characters and especially with the dynamic essence, if you can call it that. And Conway's writing is so natural. He's done great at making Annie so likeable and capturing the human element between Pete and MJ.
Thanks! And yeah, I agree 100% about Stegman, and about the way Conway writes Annie. Kid characters are extremely hard to write and portray in a believable way, and I think Conway does an excellent job in giving Annie an authentic voice that makes her talk and act like real ten year old. Especially with issue #3. One of the few quibbles I had with the original Renew Your Vows miniseries is that Annie, at times, didn't sound like a real kid, so glad to see Conway fix that.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #385
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick

Hey Nerd! Glad to see your still around.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #386
Vampfox
Side-Kick

Sony's better off trying to get Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst back for a "Renew Your Vows" movie then trying to make a film universe based off of Spider-Man spinoff characters that won't even have Spider-Man in them.

Vampfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #387
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick

Tobey and Kirsten are and always were terrible as Pete and MJ!