The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #226
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Epic stuff, loved Anne threatening to shoot JR's nuts off, it's been mentioned before that she's a bit of a sharpshooter, I wonder if that may be linked to her past she is trying to hide?

The scenes with JR and Bobby were great and I thought the way John Ross and Christopher came together was cool, of course it all had to go tits up with Rebecca shooting her creepy con man partner and Bobby's face skitzing again.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #227
Lord Blackbolt
Side-Kick

I hope Hagman doesn't die between seasons.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #228
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Wow. just, wow!

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #229
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

That was a damn good season finale.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #230
Sawyer
High King

Great finale, but not as cliffhanger-y as I was expecting. As for the big reveal... I think most of us saw that one coming. Too bad John Ross has gone to the dark side again. But then again, how would the show maintain itself with two good guys?

Glad we won't have to wait until June for new episodes too.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #231
Christopher Nolan
Banned User

i hate love triangle...that's something we will get next season again..

Christopher Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #232
Sawyer
High King

TV Guide:
Quote:
Keck's Exclusives: Dallas' Exec Producer Talks About the Shocking Season Finale

Spoiler alert! This story addresses the big reveals in Wednesday night's season finale of Dallas.

J.R. didn't get shot, but he may very well shoot himself when he finds out that a Barnes has once again infiltrated his family. And this time, that Barnes is carrying a set of Ewing heirs! That's right, TNT's Dallas relaunch concluded its first season with the stunning twist that Rebecca — Christopher's estranged bride and the mother of his unborn twins — is actually the daughter of age-old Ewing nemesis, Cliff Barnes.

And that wasn't the only cliffhanger fans are left to ponder until January, when the saga picks up with 15 new episodes. Executive producer Cynthia Cidre, who managed to make the decades-old primetime soap water cooler fodder for a new generation, took time away from penning Season 2 to answer a few burning questions.

TV Guide Magazine: Having wrapped a successful first season, what do you feel worked and didn't work in Dallas' first 10 hours?
Cynthia Cidre: I think we had a few too many hairpin turns, which are fun, but with the next 15 episodes I'd rather let some more emotional moments breathe. I was watching the deleted scenes in the DVD box we're going to put out and there were some lovely scenes that I can't believe we cut out [for time purposes].

TV Guide Magazine: I know you had to lose a sweet scene with J.R. and Sue Ellen dancing at the Ewing barbecue, and another with Sue Ellen and Cliff walking through downtown Dallas. What were some of your favorite moments that didn't make it on screen?
Cidre: They were all emotional scenes; scenes where people were talking about feelings and were beautifully done. When your shows come in 10 minutes over, these are the scenes that go because you have to stick to the plot for the shows to make sense. So next season we will be writing scripts that are 10 pages shorter so we won't have to cut out the fun flavor and humor.

TV Guide Magazine: And what worked particularly well that you plan to continue in Season 2?
Cidre: I'd like to have more music. And I personally love our [week-to-week] cliffhangers and whoppers. I think they are surprising people. I read some reactions to the finale and it seems like they didn't see it coming.

TV Guide Magazine: Let's talk about the big 'it'. Rebecca is Cliff Barnes' daughter. Can you confirm that this daughter is the same child Cliff's wife Afton [Audrey Landers] gave birth to back in the '80s?
Cidre: Yes — that's the same Pamela Rebecca Barnes. I knew all along she was going to be Cliff's daughter, and I didn't think that many fans would pick up on the name. So I used her middle name to keep people guessing.

TV Guide Magazine: Is Afton still alive?
Cidre: I don't know yet.

TV Guide Magazine: Audrey Landers still looks incredibly hot by the way, in case you were considering bringing her back.
Cidre: Oh my God. Fantastic!

TV Guide Magazine: Now that we know she's a Barnes, will Rebecca be a villain in Season 2?
Cidre: You know I don't like anyone being all villain. Her heart has been broken [by Christopher] and there's going to be a little payback. But we get to reinvent her. We are working on her past since she is really nothing like she seemed. I'm changing her whole wardrobe. Instead of pink tones she'll be in Prada. She'll have different hair. I think Julie [Gonzalo], our actress, is going to have a blast because she'll get to play a whole different version.

TV Guide Magazine: So was it just a fortunate coincidence that Rebecca happened to partner up with that no-good Tommy Sutter who had a real sister also named Rebecca?
Cidre: Yes, actually. She was using her middle name and Becky Sutter's identity.

TV Guide Magazine: Any big new cast additions next season?
Cidre: Yes. Elena's brother, who is called Drew, is coming.

TV Guide Magazine: So a hot Latin stud?
Cidre: [Laughs] You know where we're going.

TV Guide Magazine: What about Elena's dad?
Cidre: I think I killed him... many years ago. But I suppose he could always come back.

TV Guide Magazine: You showed John Ross and Christopher moving into their daddies' old Ewing Oil building. Was the building we saw in the exteriors the same building featured on the original series?
Cidre: The outside of the building with the lit X where the helicopter pulled out was for sure the old Ewing building that was used for the majority of the years that the show existed. But we couldn't shoot in the inside of the building, so we ended up shooting in a different building.

TV Guide Magazine: Switching gears to Sue Ellen, I believe you'd previously mentioned that by the end of the season we'd learn whether or not she was elected governor. But we were left hanging.
Cidre: We lied. I can tell you she will become a powerful force. We want to make sure Sue Ellen stays a woman who is sober and doesn't drink.

TV Guide Magazine: Will there be a time jump when we reunite with the Ewings in January?
Cidre: Yes, but not huge. Like six weeks have passed. We want a little breather. Life has settled a little bit and we'll see Sue Ellen and the election.

TV Guide Magazine: Elena and Christopher are newly engaged. Love them as a couple. Might we see another Southfork wedding in Season 2?
Cidre: Possibly. We're discussing it.

TV Guide Magazine: And what about a possible Rebecca/John Ross coupling?
Cidre: It's also under discussion. It seems like a delicious alliance to me. And the actors are really friendly in real life, so they are always pitching that to me. Julie and Josh [Henderson] barely had a scene together for the entire first season.

TV Guide Magazine: This season we saw visits from Lucy and Ray. What other Dallas vets might you welcome back to Southfork next year?
Cidre: We're just breaking stories now so I don't really know yet. I just met Joan Van Ark [Lucy's mother, Valene] the other day and she was lovely. We tried for a cameo with her and Ted Shackelford this past season, but it didn't work out. I also met Donna Mills [Knots Landing's Abby Ewing] and she looks awesome, but I don't know that we can use Knots Landing characters.

TV Guide Magazine: As you were assembling several antagonists with bones to pick with the Ewings, I was worried a mystery assailant might take a shot at Sue Ellen as she was at the podium delivering her campaign speech.
Cidre: It's been pitched. We had a whole Sue Ellen assassination thing, but I thought, 'Oh c'mon, we're not there yet'. Let's just wait.

TV Guide Magazine: Did you consider ending the season with a classic Dallas whodunit?
Cidre: This is the show that did that classically, but we're going to try to avoid that for a little bit. It doesn't mean we're not going to ever do that, but I don't think in our first couple of seasons. How could we ever top 'Who Shot J.R.?'

TV Guide Magazine: Oh, somehow I believe you can!

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #233
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Good finale. I suspected Anne might be wearing a wire.

Great to see Ewing Energies taking the old spot of Ewing Oil.

That was a big twist in the end with Rebecca. When she was finally revealed, I thought that Cliff's daughter had a similar name, and also wasn't Cliff and Pam's mother also called Rebecca as well? So she is Pamela Rebecca Barnes after all.

But then, if that's who she is, isn't she actually Christopher's cousin? That means that I can only quote Hunter Rider here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
"ZOMG t3h IncestZ!!!"
That's actually even worse than Tommy Sutter, because here she actually married Christopher and is having his babies. And let's not forget that Christopher's blood aunt is actually Sue Ellen (as he's Kristin's son) and Cliff was busy banging Sue Ellen back in the 80s.

I hope that Afton does make an appearance next season. Here's what Audrey Landers looks like today:

And here is how she looked back in the original Dallas:

I realise Cliff hates the Ewings, but was he so willing to even let his daughter marry one? He didn't exactly like it when Pam was married to Bobby. Why is he so bitter about them anyway? He managed to steal Ewing Oil away from them so why does he still want to destroy them? Isn't his revenge complete?

With the big reveal at the end, it puts the whole season in a new light, because Cliff was the big enemy all along and was behind the scenes pulling the strings. I hope he becomes a more regular feature next season. I'm glad we only have to wait until January and not until next June.

BTW nice mention of the McKay Brothers when John Ross and Christopher were playing basketball. I'm guessing they must be the sons of Carter McKay (George Kennedy) of WestStar Oil?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #234
Sawyer
High King

It's not incest if they aren't blood related. Adopted cousin.... ehh, it's weird, but not overly frightening.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #235
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

It's just as well that Rebecca is Cliff's daughter. If she weren't, then she would ultimately be a rather minor character who could potentially drop out of the show, especially if she and Tommy were actually siblings and they were simply trying to pull a few cons. That storyline would've been over and Christopher would've moved past her.

But now she's a major player. It's great that she's also an actual character from the past. Now if only Audrey Landers reprises her role as Afton next season. I think she should. She would be a moderating influence on Cliff, as without her (and without Pam) to keep him in line, he can become completely consumed with his bitterness and thirst for revenge.

I'm guessing though that even if Afton does come back, she and Cliff are probably divorced.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #236
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

"You know you've hit a low when even a lawyer wont take the time to insult you"

"Life is cheap in prison and I'm a very rich man"

A couple of classics from JR in the finale.

Christopher is such a douche and Elena is a complete flake.

The twist with Rebecca was good and should lead to some good stuff next season, I half expected her to walk out of the shadows when John Ross was staring out over Dallas. At first when she had her own clean up team remove the body I thought she was going to turn out to be a spy or something.

Anne needs more backstory revealed next season, the way she handled Ryland and then once again brought up her firearm's proficiency, she is more than meets the milfy eye!

The closing scene playing out to the Johnny Cash classic with an epic final shot was a glorious way to end a fun first season.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #237
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

http://tvline.com/2012/08/08/dallas-season-1-finale-review-gonzalo/

Quote:

Dallas Star Weighs In on the Finale's Big Reveal: 'I Get to Play a Whole Different Character!'

The following contains spoilers from the Dallas season finale. TNT’s trip back to Dallas wrapped its freshman run on Wednesday night by dropping a bombshell that some saw coming, yet nonetheless foretells much more family feuding in the season(s) to come.

As the season-ending hour unspooled, Christopher’s estranged wife Rebecca (played by Julie Gonzalo) cleaned up the literal mess she made by putting a bullet through her “brother” Tommy, in self-defense — and with more than a little help from an unseen benefactor whom she speed-dialed the instant blood was spilled.

But no sooner had Tommy’s body been dispatched with did Christopher go sniffing around for that ne’er-do-well, eventually landing on the other end of the phone with the real Rebecca Sutter. That latest dollop of deception imploded the couple’s marriage once and for all and sent Rebecca to debrief with the man calling the shots in her long con: her father and the Ewings’ longtime foe, Cliff. Yep, she’s Rebecca “Don’t Call Me Pamela” Barnes.

TVLine spoke with Gonzalo about concealing her character’s identity and her anticipation for Season 2.

Just how many roles did you get to play this season? There was Christoper’s sweet, innocent fiancee, Rebecca Sutter the begrudging con woman… and now Rebecca Barnes.

[Laughs] It’s crazy how now I can hear it and agree and not be coy about things. I couldn’t be more pleased and blessed as an actor to start one way and think it’s going to go one way and it’s completely the other. I got to do a lot of things I never thought I’d get to. I couldn’t be happier how it turned out.

TVLINE | At what point did you learn that she would end up a Barnes?

Before we even went to Dallas to shoot the pilot, they let me in on the secret — and it was one of those things like, “Don’t tell anyone anything, ever!” And I couldn’t play [that she had a secret], even though I knew.

TVLINE | As fun a reveal as it was, some fans guessed her true identity a while ago.

Oh, they were guessing right at the beginning! From the minute they heard her name was Rebecca, that’s all I kept hearing. I found it amazing to see how many original fans are out there, and they are so enamored with this show. They’d say, “Why else would your name be Rebecca?” and I had to be like, “I don’t know what you’re talking about….” It was hard.

TVLINE | So, what is Rebecca’s end game, on behalf of Cliff?

I don’t know. If I were to guess, she’s pissed now — and you don’t want to make a Barnes pissed. So there are a lot of things to play with next year.

TVLINE | Are you of the mind she has true feelings for Chris?

I think so. Cliff even said, “You’re just like your aunt Pamela. When it comes to the Ewings, I never could trust her — and I can’t trust you.” So I think she is in love with him, she really is. But now she’s pissed. [Laughs]

TVLINE | And now you get to play a steely, driven, embedded Ewing adversary….

I get to play a whole different character next year, a new layer of someone. I don’t know where they’re going to go with it, but I know it’s going to go darker. The Rebecca you met in the first few episodes, I doubt she’ll be coming back.

TVLINE | Outside of the big reveal, what were your favorite scenes from the finale?

I really liked when Chris confronts her, and she’s just like, “Let’s go. I never had a chance with you.” There were also great moments with Josh [Henderson, John Ross] and Jordana [Brewster, Elena]…. The last two episodes of the season were my favorites.

TVLINE | Well, congratulations on the show’s success. It turned out to be a real summertime crowd-pleaser.

It’s great to hear that. We’re so attached to it, sometimes you can’t see what’s happening out there. It’s so beautiful to hear that what you worked on so hard is being well received – so thank you.

Season 2 of TNT’s Dallas will premiere in January 2013.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #238
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

I hope they can use Knots Landing characters. Might as well start building them back up and revive the show reconnected to Dallas.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #239
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
I hope they can use Knots Landing characters. Might as well start building them back up and revive the show reconnected to Dallas.
It might be a question of rights. I'm sure they can use Gary and Valene. I don't know if Abby (Donna Mills) ever guest starred on Dallas. I don't recall she did. Would be a bit odd getting some of the Knots Landing characters though, especially before other Dallas characters.

With Cliff's plan now in full effect, and Christopher engaged to Elena, I really hope Pam comes back to try to reason with Cliff and attend her son's wedding, and cause problems for Bobby and Ann.

Others I hope to see next season:

1. Afton (she seems like the most natural one now that Rebecca's identity has been revealed) - Rebecca's got to have her mother
2. Jenna and Charlie
3. Carter McKay (his sons were mentioned in passing in the finale, so at least have them show up if they can't get George Kennedy - not sure if he's dead or not)
4. And how about Ian McShane's character? I forget what his name was, but wasn't he some English film director or something who had an affair with Sue Ellen? Didn't she leave JR to go and be with him at the end of the original series?

BTW I hope Rebecca doesn't start calling herself Pamela. That will be confusing. Hopefully she just goes by her middle name. I hope also that Cliff tells her more about her grandmother, Rebecca Wentworth, and her grandfather Digger Barnes.

Also, Rebecca's shift from this season to next will be a bit like Lauren Cohan's role in Chuck when she discovered she was actually Vivan Volkoff and took over Volkoff industries from her father and turned bad.

I also wouldn't mind a few flashbacks (using clips from the original show) like the way they did it in Hawaii Five-0 with Ed Asner's character. They should have a clip of Christopher nearly shooting John Ross with a real gun (when they were just playing guns).

Last edited by Dark Raven; 08-10-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #240
Sawyer
High King

This show needs some of this. Old man fights.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #241
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Just did a marathon of episodes all the way to the season finale. Each episode gets me hooked into seeing the next episode. I honestly didn't see the twist coming. I'm not too well versed in Dallas mythology so I had no idea Cliff had a daughter. I actually thought Rebecca would end up being Anne's daughter. I'm glad to hear that season 2 comes back in January. It would have been a looong wait had it come back next June.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #242
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
Just did a marathon of episodes all the way to the season finale. Each episode gets me hooked into seeing the next episode. I honestly didn't see the twist coming. I'm not too well versed in Dallas mythology so I had no idea Cliff had a daughter. I actually thought Rebecca would end up being Anne's daughter. I'm glad to hear that season 2 comes back in January. It would have been a looong wait had it come back next June.
I should've made the connection earlier, as I knew his mother was named Rebecca, but thought that it was just coincidental that she had the same name. Clearly not though. I couldn't remember whether he did have a daughter or not because it's been years since I watched the original series. I really hope her mother Afton returns.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #243
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Warners owns the right to the production company that produced Knots Landing so technically they should own the rights to it like they do Dallas.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #244
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I think I became more of a Rebecca fan than I was before with that reveal in the finale. It's definitely the one storyline I am looking forward to the most when the show comes back in January.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #245
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
I think I became more of a Rebecca fan than I was before with that reveal in the finale. It's definitely the one storyline I am looking forward to the most when the show comes back in January.
Well before that reveal, I think everyone was hoping she would eventually be redeemed and would get back with Christopher, since she genuinely seemed to be in love with him. She seemed like a nice girl who got caught up in the wrong thing.

But now that she's revealed to be Cliff Barnes's daughter, perhaps everyone prefers that, because it re-establishes the old rivalry between the Ewings and the Barnes for a new generation, and shows that Cliff was behind it all and wasn't so in the background as we thought. Rebecca as Pamela Rebecca Barnes brings a measure of excitement and also hope that we'll see more of her background and even perhaps a cameo from Afton.

I just hope Pamela Ewing shows up eventually. They need to get Victoria Principal back on the show somehow.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #246
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I'm trying to figure out where I can watch old episodes of Dallas online. I've only been able to see clips on youtube.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #247
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Does anyone know if the reboot takes the TV movies from the 90s into account? I read that in the 1996 TV movie J.R. Returns, Rebecca actually does meet Christopher and John Ross as teenagers. That would kind of put a dent into the reboot.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #248
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Does anyone know if the reboot takes the TV movies from the 90s into account? I read that in the 1996 TV movie J.R. Returns, Rebecca actually does meet Christopher and John Ross as teenagers. That would kind of put a dent into the reboot.
They've specificially said that they don't take the 2 TV movies JR Returns and War of the Ewings into account, because they resolved things far too quickly and JR regained control of Ewing Oil in the space of 2 hours.

The new series takes place after the final episode of the original series and spends far longer resolving things and getting the Ewings back in business.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #249
Sawyer
High King

I dont think Duffy or Hagman particularly cared for the TV movies.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 08-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #250
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

The only thing that the first TV movie resolved and that they could've taken from it is the very first scene where it shows that JR didn't shoot himself at the end of the original series but just shot the mirror. However, I guess it was obvious he didn't do that at the start of this new series as he was in the nursing home for 20 years for depression. But they could've mentioned at least that he was hallucinating and shot the mirror instead. Or maybe they just want to forget that last episode as well since it was a bit of a silly fantasy "It's a Wonderful Life" type story.