The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM   #951
BatmanBeyond
Shadow On the Run
 
BatmanBeyond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Neo-Gotham
Posts: 1,987
Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Pogba does so many great little things on the ball and in terms of movement, I feel like it gets lost. He looked a little leggy tonight, which was understandable. But for the last 2 months he has been playing in 3 different roles in midfield and has bossed matches.

Also I do not understand the complaints about him in the box defensively. Did anyone really expect him to be good at that? Have people not watched him?
I don't expect him to win every bloody header he contests for in the box, but he's clearly got the strength to dominate players, as well as the physique to compete aerially, so yes, I expect him to do much better.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay his contributions to the team, because he's still finding his feet in the league and in a team which itself is still finding its feet. And he's definitely bringing a lot to the team already. But I don't think he should be immune to criticism, especially when it comes to the more 'basic' aspects of the game.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
BREAKING NEWS

The Winds of Winter will be released on July 5th. Preorders get the special collectors sleeve of Lady Stoneheart hanging D&D.
Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #952
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 66,887
Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
I don't expect him to win every bloody header he contests for in the box, but he's clearly got the strength to dominate players, as well as the physique to compete aerially, so yes, I expect him to do much better.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay his contributions to the team, because he's still finding his feet in the league and in a team which itself is still finding its feet. And he's definitely bringing a lot to the team already. But I don't think he should be immune to criticism, especially when it comes to the more 'basic' aspects of the game.
He isn't immune to criticism. But I don't think a lot of people realize how good he is when they complain about his price tag. Not you, but the media. He could easily have 15 goals because of his movement and he isn't even playing that far up the pitch most of the time. That isn't his job.

As to him in the box. Just not in his skill set yet. He will have to get better, but it shouldn't be a surprise.

__________________
"It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #953
DeadPresident
Side-Kick
 
DeadPresident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,339
Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
Yeah, I'm not saying I'd want him to stop trying passes and dribbles, just that he needs to time these moments better, improve his decision-making when it comes to going for the spectacular or keeping things simple. But fair enough, that can only come with time.

Think the Herrera comparison is actually pretty apt.
Yeah, his timing and decision making are the only places I can find fault, unfortunately he has a tendency to hold onto the ball a bit too much at times and occasionally chooses a fancier pass than necessary, but I think that's all normal for a player his age and still adjusting to the tempo of the league, in Italy he had all the time in the world, but he's slowly adjusting that aspect.

If he's still doing this stuff at 25 years old he'll deserve to get raked over the coals, but I think by the end of this season he'll have made good progress and I think next season we'll see him far more comfortable. The whole issue around his price tag will have blown over and he'll have less scrutiny on his performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Pogba does so many great little things on the ball and in terms of movement, I feel like it gets lost. He looked a little leggy tonight, which was understandable. But for the last 2 months he has been playing in 3 different roles in midfield and has bossed matches.

Also I do not understand the complaints about him in the box defensively. Did anyone really expect him to be good at that? Have people not watched him?
A lot of his contributions are quite subtle, the way he protects possession and slows things down to let the back 4 reorganize, how he carries the ball out from midfield, he starts a lot of attacks by releasing a wide player or forward smartly. He's been doing great this season, he's hit the post like 9 times already too, he could be close to Zlatan in terms of goals. I think a lot of people feel he should be better defensively because of his build, but as a CM he doesn't need to be amazing at it, it's not his responsibility.

Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Keane, Xavi, Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, etc were probably all really horrible at that part of the game at 23, I'm sure he'll adjust. Pogba's deficits usually come out when he's playing as a 6 in a double pivot, it highlights how much we need a proper CDM in the summer, because it means Pogba doesn't have to worry as much about parts of the game he isn't naturally good at when he's just playing as a standard CM. Despite what it says on his shirt, Pogba isn't a #6.

DeadPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #954
BatmanBeyond
Shadow On the Run
 
BatmanBeyond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Neo-Gotham
Posts: 1,987
Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
He isn't immune to criticism. But I don't think a lot of people realize how good he is when they complain about his price tag. Not you, but the media. He could easily have 15 goals because of his movement and he isn't even playing that far up the pitch most of the time. That isn't his job.

As to him in the box. Just not in his skill set yet. He will have to get better, but it shouldn't be a surprise.
I think at this point it's pretty clear the media will keep going on and on about him because, irrespective of his actual performances: 1. He's a United player and United sell papers and 2. The price tag.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
BREAKING NEWS

The Winds of Winter will be released on July 5th. Preorders get the special collectors sleeve of Lady Stoneheart hanging D&D.
Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #955
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 66,887
Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
I think at this point it's pretty clear the media will keep going on and on about him because, irrespective of his actual performances: 1. He's a United player and United sell papers and 2. The price tag.
That's true. Hopefully those stories involve many trophies for United going forward.

__________________
"It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #956
BlackFox
Man, Myth, Legend
 
BlackFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rome
Posts: 7,309
Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

What will help Pogba is a season or two times when he is surrounded by, hopefully, better players and the record price tag is surpassed a couple of times and no longer the main focus. Nobody has created more chances for Zlatan this season, thats his main job. He is not the finished article but he clearly has great potential and has already started to win trophies for us. He scored the goal that got us to today after all.

__________________
2017 MOST WANTED: John Wick 2 8.9/10 Saldado Ghost in the Shell Bladerunner 2049 Logan Dark Tower Star Wars VIII Alien Covenant Lego Batman 7.8/10
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #957
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 149,971
Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Southampton were the better team over the 90 minutes, no doubt but I can see how that offside goal got ruled out, when the cross is played Bertrand is well off and the lino sees that before Gabiadini ran from behind Smalling, harsh for them but I don't think it was this horrendous error that Sky sports totally lopsided coverage suggested, Martin Tyler's commentary was so biased today it pissed me off more than how we played.

While we didn't play well, what we did show was the kind of strong mentaltiy that we have lacked since Fergie's days, it was obvious the 3 games we played while they were resting had an effect, but we took our chances clinically and even when they pulled it back to 2-2 we stayed the course and got the winner, a lot of teams would have folded, we certainly would have under our previous 2 managers.

The back 4 were all over the place, Mata was invisible, Lingard got a goal but did very little else and Martial had flashes of quality that aided in the 2nd and 3rd goal, but he wasn't in the game enough with so little support from his LB. Herrera and Pogba were positionally awful in the first half, thankfully Jose brought Carrick on and both improved in the second half with Pogba's power and ability to drive the ball out easing the pressure and Herrera shutting down Romeu while also grabbing an assist on the winner.

What can you say about Ibra? He is the main man and not only with his goals but the way his presence and aura galvanize the team. Whatever happens in the summer, whatever he decides, we have gotten our money's worth from the big man.






__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.