The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #826
seahammer
Asgardian

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
You know what, I've decided to stop evaluating the Marvel films...

I think objectively, there are a few films that are weaker... But everyone also seems to love and hate very different Marvel films. I found out, after seeing Guardians with my gf, that her favourite film is the first Cap film, which I thought was one of the weaker films... So I started listing all of my problems and she just said "But he's such a great character!"

And that's the key, right there... Marvel is about the characters... Some people are going to love a film just because they love the characters and at the same time, be less forgiving on a film if they're not won over by that character.

A lot of people on here cite IM 2 as a terrible film but it's RDJ as Tony Stark and that's what a lot of people love. It's still a funny movie, a dramatic movie and it has significant character shifts for everyone in the story. Really, that's all these films need to do.

They're basically following the comic book model now, and that's pretty safe ground.

Regarding Thor 2, I think it definitely could have been better, and it was definitely weaker... But I think that's difference between a great movie and a 'fine' movie. And a 'fine' Marvel movie is still solid, entertaining, well acted with fun action. (Not to mention, miles better than the average Marvel movie was pre-MCU)

So if the worst case scenario, based on previous films, is just a movie that's 'Fine', then I can live with that.

This post, I like it...

Really great points here. I can never post in the "Rank all the marvel films up to __________" threads because I feel the same way. I really don't dislike any of the MCU films, and I feel that they each have their strengths that make up for whatever deficiencies individual films may have. The MCU is a pretty balanced universe, more or less.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the character aspect, because that is what it is all about with these films.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #827
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

I assume it's a comment towards the fact that there's been a number of people that didn't like the movie that's come back to say the same negative things over and over.
Exactly!XD

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #828
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
Yeah... Marvel has yet to make a 'terrible' film. Just Thor/TDW/IM2 just aren't really good like IM3/Cap/Avengers or downright amazing like GotG/IM/TWS. I don't count IH anymore, its the ugly duckling that isn't needed. I like to think The Avengers Hulk could have any backstory you want to film albeit IH, Hulk, or what have you.

Outside of Hemsworth's acting, the Thor films failed at what they were suppose to bring to the table. And yet, GotG reached... even exceeded those marks; space, aliens, planets, magic, etc.
Well, that's your opinion. I personally think that both Thor movies were better than all 3 Iron Man movies and Cap 1.

1. The Dark Knight 2. Man of Steel 3. Guardians of the Galaxy 4. The Avengers 5. The Dark Knight Rises 6. Thor: The Dark World 7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8. Batman Begins 9. Thor 10. Iron Man
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #829
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
Well, that's your opinion. I personally think that both Thor movies were better than all 3 Iron Man movies and Cap 1.
Agreed.

I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this but personally T:TDW is my favorite Phase 2 film thus far and I'm not afraid to say it. I had more fun watching this film than any of the others. CA:TWS is a very close second. The films tonally are apples and oranges as they should be. I don't expect a Thor film to be like a Captain America film. I enjoyed GOTG immensely but I liked the first Thor better. Iron Man 3 is my least favorite of all the MCU films but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just that someone has to be last.

All in all I think Phase 2 is a smash. I hope it goes out with a bang with Age of Ultron and I have every confidence in Whedon that he is going to deliver. It's a great time to be a fan. There's something for everybody. Not everybody laughs at the same jokes. Not everybody digs the same type of action. So you don't like one style of film? Well then enjoy these others. I love that Marvel is mixing it up while maintaining an overarching continuity.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but it seems to me the same people keep criticizing TDW over and over again endlessly. Why they have to continually rip on this film perplexes me but I'm hopeful all the belly aching leads to an even better Thor 3 that we all can enjoy.

I'm anxious to see where this series leads but the fact that Marvel is taking their time with the third installment is a very big positive sign to me. There were far too many production problems with T:TDW and despite all of that they still delivered what I consider a great, extremely entertaining movie. But I'm getting the sense they want to take their time for the next one and really get it right. I also have this belief that they are searching for the perfect guy to helm this franchise like they have found for Cap and Guardians.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #830
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this but personally T:TDW is my favorite Phase 2 film thus far and I'm not afraid to say it.
maaaan, you're on crack

lol, there, ridiculing done
For me, TDW is on the bottom of the MCU
Mainly due to expectations; I expected a movie that was miles better than its predocessor, and that is not at all what I got.
Winter Soldier was hands down the phase 2 winner for me, followed by IM3

but hey, any ridiculing directed at people who liked TDW is just jealousy, I wish I could be so fond of all the Marvel films and not pick every movie apart

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #831
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

I actually prefer The Dark World over Thor.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #832
First Avenger
Side-Kick

^Same,even if not by much,I actually love both.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #833
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
maaaan, you're on crack

lol, there, ridiculing done
LOL... that wasn't so bad.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #834
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

With the events just being announced for Cap 3 and IM being in it, it makes me wonder if somewhere we get a Clor come out of AoU?
I can see Tony taking or finding a sample of Thor's dna and storing it on his computers, then Ultron making a Clor/Ragnarok

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #835
Omega Hulk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
With the events just being announced for Cap 3 and IM being in it, it makes me wonder if somewhere we get a Clor come out of AoU?
I can see Tony taking or finding a sample of Thor's dna and storing it on his computers, then Ultron making a Clor/Ragnarok
I can definitely see it happening.

Omega Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #836
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Saw this link on the site that shall not be named. Stunning selection of TDW concept art from Bob Chesire

http://www.bobcheshire.co.uk/thor-2/

I particularly love:

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #837
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

The whole funeral sequence was amazing. This flick got a bad rap as far as I'm concerned.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #838
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
The whole funeral sequence was amazing. This flick got a bad rap as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed... on both points

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #839
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

NICE, cool find Silver!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Saw this link on the site that shall not be named. Stunning selection of TDW concept art from Bob Chesire

I particularly love:

....to every King.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #840
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post

I particularly love:
I followed the link. Man, all of those are gorgeous! I wish 1.) that I had some sort of artistic talent, and 2.) that I could take a field trip to Asgard! Or maybe I could move there. What sort of job do you think a mortal could get? I'll clean the flying goat stables, I don't mind.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #841
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Totally agreed. And the funeral sequence is one of my absolute favorite scenes out of all of the MCU films.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #842
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
So true.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #843
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

YES We have THOR RAGNAROK!!!!

....to every King.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #844
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
Yes and hell yes.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #845
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

It's got it's flaws just like any other movie. I thought it was ok though. Hoping the 3rd a bit of a step up in quality. Similar to TWS.

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #846
sabetoonth
Where You Get Those Eyes?

So I was bored recently and did sme etymology with some f the names from TDW's characters. I only really found one, and that was Algrim who really seemed to have a meaning in old norse. Allr meaning all and grimmr could be fierce or grim, megin-grimmr though means, according to what Im referencing, terrible. I think any of those could fit the character, right?

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #847
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I would say they do. Maybe ask Walt on his Face book? I'm sure he'd tell you where he got the name.

....to every King.