The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 08-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #701
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Default Re: "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Par

Just expecting a good and unique movie. Even if Joker is there for a split second.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #702
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Default Re: "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I have a feeling if people are expecting a movie where the Joker appears a lot, they're gonna be disappointed. They're probably just gonna market this with, "Before Batman" all over it so people know it's different yet still connected.
As long as they don’t try to loosely link it somehow with Heath’s Joker...

Given Batman isn’t involved in his origin, I could see them trying it. I really could. Blergh.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.5/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 7.5/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6/10, A Quiet Place - 8/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout - 9/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #703
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Maybe A.Fleck will be revealed to be the Joker's father...He hated his father you know

I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #704
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post

Given Batman isn’t involved in his origin, I could see them trying it. I really could. Blergh.
I doubt that, but wouldn't be surprised if there was a Killing Joke influence on this. Because nobody has read any other Batman comic featuring the Joker apparently. But it's still a high selling comic so it's more accessible to busy creative people who don't have the time to scower the dense mythology.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #705
HBarnill
Side-Kick

Th Smile Re: "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Par

Quote:
I doubt that, but wouldn't be surprised if there was a Killing Joke influence on this. Because nobody has read any other Batman comic featuring the Joker apparently. But it's still a high selling comic so it's more accessible to busy creative people who don't have the time to scower the dense mythology.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
The Joker: The Killing Joke

That’s all the research filmmakers do.

HBarnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #706
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Hasn't The Dark Knight Returns only factored into one film? The Killing Joke is seen as THE Joker story, so why not be inspired by that?

Aziz
Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:04 AM   #707
HBarnill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
Hasn't The Dark Knight Returns only factored into one film? The Killing Joke is seen as THE Joker story, so why not be inspired by that?
Tim Burton’s Batman
Chris Nolan’s Batman, especially Rises
Zack Snyder’s Batman, especially BvS

HBarnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #708
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Ehh, I would hardly call it some singular influence on Batman and Rises. Some aspects, but none of them as blatant as BvS. I doubt the Nolans and Burton only had TDKR as a reference point.

Aziz
Old 08-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #709
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Tim Burton loved the Killing Joke, and that was not his only point of reference for making his first Batman movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Just expecting a good and unique movie. Even if Joker is there for a split second.
I can't wait to see all the negative reactions to a movie following this possibility

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #710
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Tim Burton loved the Killing Joke, and that was not his only point of reference for making his first Batman movie. I can't wait to see all the negative reactions to a movie following this possibility
It's more than a possibility. Joker is a villain. There's no reason for him to be in whiteface unless he's in villain mode and Batman is going to show up. Ergo, one can assume that he won't be until the very end of the movie.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #711
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post

I actually disagree. I have hard time believing phoenix would sign on to a film that doesn't stand on its own and is in service of another's persons joker. I don't really understand how you even came to this conclusion TBH.

1627523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #712
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #713
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I can't wait to see all the negative reactions to a movie following this possibility
It's not gonna happen.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #714
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Oh, it's SO dark when Joker beat Robin with a crowbar. See how seriously we can take our comics, kids?

The marketing better be more clever than that.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #715
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Quote:
Oh, it's SO dark when Joker beat Robin with a crowbar. See how seriously we can take our comics, kids?

The marketing better be more clever than that.
I don’t see what you’re getting at here. Joker is an inherently dark and violent character, and the marketing should reflect that.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:10 AM   #716
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Rumor from DiscussingFilm that the film is set in 1981.

Aziz
Old 08-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #717
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Maybe A.Fleck will be revealed to be the Joker's father...He hated his father you know
A.Fleck
Affleck

Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #718
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I don’t see what you’re getting at here. Joker is an inherently dark and violent character, and the marketing should reflect that.
Comic fans people seem to fetishize darker comic storylines in general. In this case with the Joker, they like to superficially point to context-less moments of the Joker beating Jason Todd with a crowbar or him shooting Barbara Gordon as examples as some sort of immature validation to take their comics more seriously and that they're not just for kids. It's how a 15 year old thinks.

In other words, I don't want the marketing to just be superficial moments that people can pick out on Google or a film executive can just glean from reading a best selling comic. That stuff is superficial and isn't really cool. The Joker is more interesting than just being violent and dark and there's more to understand him than is to be gained than mere context-less moments. There's better material out there. It's also DC's problem. They look too much into the tone based, darker side of things because it's easier to understand.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 08-17-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #719
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Comic fans people seem to fetishize darker comic storylines in general. In this case with the Joker, they like to superficially point to context-less moments of the Joker beating Jason Todd with a crowbar or him shooting Barbara Gordon as examples as some sort of immature validation to take their comics more seriously and that they're not just for kids. It's how a 15 year old thinks.

In other words, I don't want the marketing to just be superficial moments that people can pick out on Google or a film executive can just glean from reading a best selling comic. The Joker is more interesting than just being violent and dark and there's more to understand him than is to be gained than mere context-less moments. There's better material out there.
I wondered if there was a particular era:
Quote:
In his comic book appearances, the Joker is portrayed as a criminal mastermind. Introduced as a psychopath with a warped, sadistic sense of humor, the character became a goofy prankster in the late 1950s in response to regulation by the Comics Code Authority, before returning to his darker roots during the early 1970s.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote