Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Batman

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #401
writer0327
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Next Batman Director - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Effect View Post
Most of us grew up with that. That is all we knew till Iron Man came out. I want to see these characters in the same universe. I want to see Batman & Superman interacting. I am sure i am in the majority in that thinking. All WB/DC needs to do is make better movies and no one will be *****ing about them needing to be different.
I think they could have done trilogies with Supes, Bats, and WW and had the various characters dropping in and out of the films anyway. Then maybe down the line, team up with JL. They didn't have to go shared universe at all, but that's not why things fell apart. Lack of planning and lack of execution did them in.

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 2. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 4. Justice League - 5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Wonder Woman - 7. Blade Runner: 2049 - 8. Logan - 9. The Great Wall - 10. It
Old 02-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #402
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
A 50 million dollar version of Gotham By Gaslight would make a lot of bank. I think Batman is the only character you can do Elseworlds with right now, though.
I think you're underestimating the practically elseworlds cbms that have made so much bank in the past few years. It's all a marketing game at this point.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 02-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #403
Frodo
Side-Kick

The GA just wants good films , interconnected or not. Its fanboys who demand an interconnected universe and want the continuity to match like in the comics.

The reason TDK trilogy and Marvel films did well with the GA is because the GA think they're good films. Interconnected films have the added benefit of teaming up , crossing over characters, allusions etc, but ultimately that's just the gravy .

The meat of these films are the characters and the stories, not fan service that only fanboys get. Ultimately WB needs to get back to making good films first and foremost and worry less about syncing every film up in order to build to something.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #404
ManWithNoName18
Side-Kick

Michael Mann's been in a slump for a while, don't know if I'd want him

Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #405
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
No one stays good in this world

Constipatedsupermanface.jpg
God I hate that line so much. Worst piece of dialogue ever uttered by Superman in any media.

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Old 02-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #406
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
Something we agree on I was quite gutted when they announced BvS. Not just because I felt it was way too close to The Dark Knight, but because I wanted a Superman trilogy! Such a pity.
Finally

I was excited when they announced BvS but I really did and still do feel a bit robbed we never got at least one more solo Superman film before it. If WBs hadn't ****ed up putting that clown Jon Peters in charge in the 90s/early 2000s we could have had a Superman trilogy alongside the Dark Knight Trilogy and then they could have started in a shared universe with recasting, rebooting etc about the same time they did.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #407
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer0327 View Post
Honestly, that's all I wanted too and that's what they should have done anyway, even with the DCEU ongoing. They should have had MoS2 out sometime last year or this year. Instead they went with BvS to try and kickstart their universe. When in reality, they weren't ready.

Iron Man 1, 2, and 3 were done within 5 years. Captain America 1, 2, and 3 were done within 5 years. We're going on the 4th year after MoS with no direct sequel in sight. It should have had a similar timeframe.
While I don't necessarily buy into that Marvel way us the only way I have said even before, during and after BvS that they should have done a solo Superman sequel and a solo Batman film prior to BvS.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #408
Zero_Effect
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think they could have done trilogies with Supes, Bats, and WW and had the various characters dropping in and out of the films anyway. Then maybe down the line, team up with JL. They didn't have to go shared universe at all, but that's not why things fell apart. Lack of planning and lack of execution did them in.
Eh. I think you can blame Nolan. He hired Snyder for MOS and then he was given the keys to the DC universe. Just think if Nolan had gone "i am going to take a chance on that Matt Reeves guy." where the DC universe would be right now. Maybe WB doesn't freak out and recut Suicide Squad because BvS is a better movie?

Old 02-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #409
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
The GA just wants good films , interconnected or not. Its fanboys who demand an interconnected universe and want the continuity to match like in the comics.

The reason TDK trilogy and Marvel films did well with the GA is because the GA think they're good films. Interconnected films have the added benefit of teaming up , crossing over characters, allusions etc, but ultimately that's just the gravy .

The meat of these films are the characters and the stories, not fan service that only fanboys get. Ultimately WB needs to get back to making good films first and foremost and worry less about syncing every film up in order to build to something.
Not even the stories, those too take a backseat to popcorn thrills.
The GA's standards for good movies are wayyyyyy different and varied from what critics and fanboys crave. That's why some feared a Bayformers possibility. It's a daunting task to be different from the rest and be able to relay that through the marketing.

Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 02-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #410
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Eh. I think you can blame Nolan. He hired Snyder for MOS and then he was given the keys to the DC universe. Just think if Nolan had gone "i am going to take a chance on that Matt Reeves guy." where the DC universe would be right now. Maybe WB doesn't freak out and recut Suicide Squad because BvS is a better movie?
He did take a chance on Matt Reeves. Matt turned it down, along with like 6 others before Nolan gave the job to Snyder. WB are the ones who let Snyder lead the DCEU. Nolan washed his hands of it after MOS.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 02-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #411
ManWithNoName18
Side-Kick

For whatever reason after the reviews and boxoffice came in from MOS, WB decided to put their full faith in Snyder and let him direct BVS, and two Justice League movies.

And I have no doubt Snyder pushed hard to direct those three movies. He'd take the Batman if it was offered.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #412
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithNoName18 View Post
For whatever reason after the reviews and boxoffice came in from MOS, WB decided to put their full faith in Snyder and let him direct BVS, and two Justice League movies.

And I have no doubt Snyder pushed hard to direct those three movies. He'd take the Batman if it was offered.
Snyder would probably make a reasonably good Batman movie because that was basically what Man of Steel was.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #413
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:

I think it's a similar case with Nolan and Singer given the boxoffice of both relatively speaking weren't ones to guarantee more massive franchises,
yet only one of those went on to do bigger and better as the other faded into obscurity.

Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 02-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #414
ManWithNoName18
Side-Kick

I think as long as Snyder could play more to his own strengths, keeping up the action and laying off the philosophical stuff it could work. That and make sure the story is pretty simple. He did make the best looking Batman and best fighting Batman ever in BVS.

From Watchmen, MOS, and BVS I've seen that when he tries to hard to dig deeper into the characters it comes out forced. The whole Jesus symbolism for example was really in your face.

The problem is that since Nolan I think people have come to expect a little more out of a Batman movie than just a straight up action movie. That and the Batman character is thebiggest franchise at DC the one that is always getting the cartoons, the video games, the TV series. He's got 2 movies that grossed a billion dollars each. And was coming off 3 critical hits.

Last edited by ManWithNoName18; 02-18-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #415
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Finally

I was excited when they announced BvS but I really did and still do feel a bit robbed we never got at least one more solo Superman film before it. If WBs hadn't ****ed up putting that clown Jon Peters in charge in the 90s/early 2000s we could have had a Superman trilogy alongside the Dark Knight Trilogy and then they could have started in a shared universe with recasting, rebooting etc about the same time they did.
Oh God yes. We may disagree on Snyder, but Jon Peters is the king ass clown in this whole drama. It's him that's screwed Superman over for decades now. The knock on effect he has to this day is tremendous. I love the fact Nolan ordered that he never be allowed to set foot on the set

2017 Scores: Batman & Bill - 9/10 (Bob Kane is scum), John Wick 2: 8/10, Logan - 9.5/10, Alien Covenant - 3/10, GotG 2 - 7/10, Wonder Woman - 9/10, Spider-man Homecoming 7.5/10 War For The Planet Of The Apes - 9/10, Dunkirk - 10/10, The Dark Tower - 1/10, IT - 8/10, Blade Runner 2049 - 7.5/10, Thor Ragnarok - 8.5/10, Justice League - 5/10
Old 02-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #416
Zero_Effect
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
He did take a chance on Matt Reeves. Matt turned it down, along with like 6 others before Nolan gave the job to Snyder. WB are the ones who let Snyder lead the DCEU. Nolan washed his hands of it after MOS.
That was Affleck who passed on it:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2597882/ben-affleck-superman/

Old 02-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #417
writer0327
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem is that since Nolan I think people have come to expect a little more out of a Batman movie than just a straight up action movie. That and the Batman character is the biggest franchise at DC the one that is always getting the cartoons, the video games, the TV series. He's got 2 movies that grossed a billion dollars each. And was coming off 3 critical hits.
But honestly, is that what we, the people, even want? I'll take me some straight up action and drama to whatever it is they're trying to do now.

The worst thing WB is doing right now is overthinking everything. Sometimes the simplest answers are the best. If anyone is to blame, it's Marvel, because of their success with their cinematic universe they've got WB/DC trying to match or outdo them.

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 2. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 4. Justice League - 5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Wonder Woman - 7. Blade Runner: 2049 - 8. Logan - 9. The Great Wall - 10. It
Old 02-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #418
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
If anyone is to blame, it's Marvel, because of their success with their cinematic universe they've got WB/DC trying to match or outdo them.
Yeah, no. That's absurd. You don't blame a group who succeeded on their formula, for the failures of another company who tried to replicate them.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #419
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Yeah, no. That's absurd. You don't blame a group who succeeded on their formula, for the failures of another company who tried to replicate them.
I blame the FnF movies

Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #420
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think as long as Snyder could play more to his own strengths, keeping up the action and laying off the philosophical stuff it could work. That and make sure the story is pretty simple. He did make the best looking Batman and best fighting Batman ever in BVS.
It's not about laying off the philosophical stuff. It's about making it clearer, more focused and more coherent.

People embraced the philosophical elements of Nolan's Batman, they have embraced philosophical elements in several Marvel movies as well, along with X-Men films. In part because the ideas there are clearly presented with less ambiguity. Nolan's films, in particular, often spelled out exactly what characters were talking about. Snyder has often attempted to convey ideas with visuals, amidst sporadic characterization. While this is a legitimate approach to filmmaking, this is not what is expected of comic book films and not what people seem to want, either.

-Me
Old 02-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #421
storyteller
Side-Kick

I think that the DCEU is being held up to an impossible standard. It's being treated like it's at it's 25th film.

Comparing to Marvel is the problem.

At this point Marvel had just made Iron Man 2. Let's put that in perspective. They had Iron man, Hulk, and then Iron Man 2. Regardless of how you felt about the films. That's not a huge universe.

Now getting each hero a solo film before JL?

Superman and Batman have had plenty of films. The GA knows these guys. The JL cartoons never needed to introduce solo series for most of the roster.

Plenty of ensemble movies don't have prefilms.

Avengers essentially reintroduces the bulk of the cast.

What Marvel did with their world building was build their studio. They had to build the foundation so they could expand.

The WB's infrastructure is already built.

Now again I think the DCEU on the internet has been held up to an impossible standard.

The Batman production is being treated like it's in development hell. Um plenty of films vet directors. Marvel has certainly done it. Thor has had three different directors. Captain America got new directors. Hulk hasn't seen a new film. Iron man got a new one for the 3rd.

With the Batman, too many sites kept using misleading titles. They took rumor as fact. They took interest as confirmation.

It's just so frustrating to see unfair reactions.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #422
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Well said.

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #423
Boom
I got nothin'

El Maybe seems convinced that this is negotiating through the press.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #424
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
El Maybe seems convinced that this is negotiating through the press.
He's jumping on that wagon.

Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #425
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Says the guy with 13,000+ posts on a genre message board...
And yet, I still have a sense of when somebody is losing their cool unnecessarily.

Quote:
Okay? The actual point was if they were "just movies" or TV or comics, etc.. he wouldn't have signed on or posted in the first place. Doesn't really matter how often he does it.
I can be passionate about something and still have a healthy perspective on it. Comics are deeply important to me, and yet I don't lose my cool over them.

Last edited by Saint; 02-18-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Closed Thread