The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Default "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

I figured since Ultimate, SM: TAS, and the 60's show got their own threads, as well as the old board being shot down, I would open up a thread for discussion, criticism, appreciation, speculation on what could have been, etc., about Spectacular.

To start up the thread, Greg Weisman has recently cleared up exactly what the legal situation was that led to its cancellation:

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223

GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #3
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

I saw the first three episodes of this again, and I couldn't help but immensely enjoy it. 112 episodes after this show came to an abrupt ending, and none of them gave me half as good a time as any episode of this show does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
You know, I also find it funny how this show has Peter Parker/Spider-Man competent in super heroics right out of the gate rather than growing into competency over time like every other adaption which has featured Peter in High School. Has this iteration of a Teenage Spidey had any moments where you would think "that's a rookie move/mistake?"
I love the competence so much, that I couldn't help but remember the first episode in this show while thinking of how much trouble USM had with Trapster, a normal guy with a glue gun.

I guess immediately assuming Electro was a thug coming out of the coffee shop with a mask is a rookie mistake.

YOUTUBE
To Quit or not to Quit, that is the question.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

You know, I also think yelling to the Green Goblin that he knew he was Norman Osborn was a rookie move, as it made Norman pretty much throw the fight when he failed to kill Spidey, and race him to his house to come up with an alibi. he just happened to be lucky that Harry was passed out on the floor, or Spidey might not have bought whatever he was able to come up with.

Quote:
I couldn't find a video for it but my vote goes to the Spidey vs Rhino fight in The Invisible Hand.

I remember when first watching the show, this was the action sequence that truly cemented the show as a well-animated, brilliantly choreographed action show for Spider-Man. The banter was top notch. Yeah, the Electro fights were pretty good and so was the fight with the Lizard in episode 3 as well as the Sandman and even the Shocker fights that proceeded this one, however imo the Rhino fight was on another level.

First, Rhino was the only villain to deduce that Peter Parker may have info on the whereabouts of Spider-Man because he is always getting pics of him when no other photographer can. IMO this added another dimension to Rhino--not just a dumb street thug, he could be smart and a formidable foe.

I loved how he was absolutely calm and even polite while walking to the Bugle and riding the elevator...he didn't smash through traffic on his way there and even asked nicely for assistance in hitting the right button on the elevator. Once the doors opened though he begins to tear the place up, lol.

And the reason for Peter hurrying to get the Bugle was great--he wasn't going there to suit up cause he got wind of the Bugle under attack, which would have been a likely candidate in the writing dept as these shows usually go for that type of scenario. No, instead he's swinging as fast as he can to try and stop Aunt May from ruining his chances with Betty. Brilliant.

JJJ covering for Peter was a nice touch in the face of danger and added some depth to his already great characterization.

Once the fight started I loved how it was one long continuous action sequence that changed sets several times throughout. It went from the Bugle to the street to the side of a building several blocks away to the inside of a fitness shop and then finally into the sewer. Most action scenes in the previous episodes were limited to one maybe two locations per fight and were usually divided up into two different encounters within the episode.

You know... A lot of people got hurt in Rhino's rampage. I'm kind of glad that Spidey acknowledged that he needed to get Rhino in a big open area for public safety.

Short but sweet, Hammerhead was a BEAST in Accomplices. I know people don't like to see Spider-Man have his ass handed to him by non powered people, but I can see why this guy is a second in command.

Mistah K88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Sarcastic Fan
King of Hell

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers) - Part 1

Finishing "Shear Strength" to prepare for the interview portion of Spectacular Radio's review of "Shear Strength." This one was packed. Greg Weisman, Jennifer Coyle, and Jennifer L. Anderson as our guests.

Should hopefully be up sometime within the next week.

Sarcastic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers) - Part 1

Looking forward to it!

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Sarcastic Fan
King of Hell

Spectacular Radio Episode 33: “Shear Strength” With Greg Weisman, Jennifer Coyle, & Jennifer L. Anderson

Greg, Zach, and Kristin welcome back Greg Weisman, Jennifer L. Anderson; and introduce the episode director, Jennifer Coyle, to the podcast. They discuss adapting the classic “Master Planner” storyline, villain group dynamics, George Stacy and Commissioner Gordon, along with an assortment of other topics.

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5317

Sarcastic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:59 PM   #8
Venom 1988
formerly Ultimate_Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Fan View Post
Spectacular Radio Episode 33: “Shear Strength” With Greg Weisman, Jennifer Coyle, & Jennifer L. Anderson

Greg, Zach, and Kristin welcome back Greg Weisman, Jennifer L. Anderson; and introduce the episode director, Jennifer Coyle, to the podcast. They discuss adapting the classic “Master Planner” storyline, villain group dynamics, George Stacy and Commissioner Gordon, along with an assortment of other topics.

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5317
Keep them coming lol

Venom 1988 is online now   Reply With Quote