The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #401
herolee10
No More Miracles

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Whatever happened to those character posters that were approved of so long ago? In any case, it's amazing that even with 5 TV Spots, 2 theatrical trailer (with the last one having been 3 minutes long, and one teaser, we still have no real solid idea on what the action will overall look like in the film at the bulk of it

Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #402
TheNextNolan22
Hurting Really REALLY BAD

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Whatever happened to those character posters that were approved of so long ago? In any case, it's amazing that even with 5 TV Spots, 2 theatrical trailer (with the last one having been 3 minutes long, and one teaser, we still have no real solid idea on what the action will overall look like in the film at the bulk of it
I don't we realize how huge the scope of this movie is going to be(which is a good thing). I'm glad they're not showing too much of the fights between Zod and Superman. As for those character posters, we should be getting them soon. In their lens-flary, screencappy glory.

Man of Steel (Zack Snyder)/ Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder)/ Suicide Squad (David Ayer)/ Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins)/Justice League (Zack Snyder)/The Flash/Aquaman (James Wan) /Shazam!/Cyborg/Green Lantern
Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #403
Smallville13
Side-Kick

In regards to the sequel will the mainstream expect the same for it going in? I mean there is going to be alot of action and destruction in MOS. And I think it's going to be hard to top a Kryptonian army in the sequel. TDK felt like a different film than BB so maybe...

Old 05-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #404
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Anyways, I stopped by my Wal-Mart right now and there seems to be a high demand for all things Man Of Steel. Which means I better get my butt down to Wal-Mart very early on Saturday.

As it is in mine. Was in there today, took a few pics. As you can see, the kiddy capes, kid shirts and Cheeze-It's aren't really a hot seller:

However this is the other side of the display. Half the shirts gone, 70% of the racks empty, and the figure shelves virtually that way as well (the first two look stocked, but it was basically ONE figure stacked next to one another, no supply behind it). ZERO posters left, and I know for a fact they were fully stocked because three days ago, a friend of mine who was in there got all five.

I was stunned my new shirt was still there (albeit it only five left):

Last edited by jthom19802; 05-17-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #405
DKDetective
Wizened Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Indeed; if people take away the costs that SR was tallied with from the previous failed attempts, then I think SR only had a production budget of about 204 million whereas MOS is speculated on having a budget of 225 million and considering that Warner Bros. weren't happy with a 391 million result for the box office earnings, with one of the representatives having been supposedly quoted on saying that they thought it should have at least made 500 million worldwide, there is some pressure on MOS on where it needs to reach when it comes to their profits.
Yeah, I think Warner Bros will be more realistic regarding what they expect out of Man of Steel. As you mentioned, Superman Returns had a ton riding on it because of all the failed past projects and attempts to get Superman back on the big screen. There was an expectation that it would recoup all of those losses from what i have read.

I would hope that the top executives have learned by now that reboots don't tend to do exceptional numbers and that like with the Nolan Batman films, a modestly performing first entry can help whet the appetite for sequels that become billion dollar hits. While I didn't like the new movie, what Abrams did with Trek also seems to be a similar success. The 90 reboot made $384 million on a budget of $215 million. That is pretty close to the equivalent of Man of Steel doing SR numbers and it still got a sequel. I think the lesson from these franchises is that modest success on a first outing is okay provided that you have good word of mouth, strong reviews, and good home video performance.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #406
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
So true... And if plotholes would every time ruin movies for me, then the "BACK< TO THE FUTURE>" trilogy wouldn't be my all time favorites! It's not something I would ever need to think about. I honestly know that these films are the ones I've seen the most throughout my life. The style, the story, the charm, the magic, the actors and music. These films, plotholes or not, doesn't ruin anything for me. I'll LOVE them till the day I die.

(Had to get that out there, haha)
So true, personally I find "plot-holes" to be overrated in importance these days. If much else clicks for me, they don't matter that much at all. Story, emotions, music, characters, visuals, themes, dialogue and most of all the overall experience are far more important to me. If a movie is and/or incredibly fun, tense, thrilling, emotional etc. then a few plot-holes couldn't mean less to me in the end.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #407
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
So true, personally I find "plot-holes" to be overrated in importance these days. If much else clicks for me, they don't matter that much at all. Story, emotions, music, characters, visuals, themes, dialogue and most of all the overall experience are far more important to me. If a movie is and/or incredibly fun, tense, thrilling, emotional etc. then a few plot-holes couldn't mean less to me in the end.
I think it depends on the plot holes. I like Avengers but there is a pretty big plot hole in the 3rd act that bothers me to no end. IM3 was ruined by the plot holes(not the mandarin twist).

Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #408
craigdbfan
Banned User

Superman apparel has always been pretty popular. MOS will only exacerbate that.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #409
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Haha so true. My favorite film of all time is Goodfellas and even that has plot holes(though very little), but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not a good movie by any means, but it's better than At World's End, imo.
AWE is so much better then 4th. Not only is the 4th horribly boring, it lost the few things that made the first two sequels watchable. The cast and direction. I can't believe how much they lost in terms of the action with Marshall.

The 4th is an ugly stop gap. AWE is at least bombastic and fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Superman apparel has always been pretty popular. MOS will only exacerbate that.
Athletes eat that stuff up.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #410
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
this this this. Plotholes (and most of the time plot itself) is very secondary to it's themes, characters and visuals. So many people like to put so much importance in the mechanics of something they forget what they are seeing, it looks beautiful and it's trying to tell you something, try and see that instead of attempting to be smart and "poking holes" at things. Plots to me are always the devices that help the film convey all the important stuff so I do find it funny when people put so much damn weight on it. because you can tear apart pretty much every classic if you think hard enough...and that would be missing the point of the film (like so many do nowadays)

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/4-Batman Begins/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Guardians of the Galaxy/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #411
DarthSkywalker

You lost me at ignore plot. Themes, characters and visuals are all tied together by the plot itself. The plot is where the themes, characters and visuals live. It is the very foundation of a story. It is as necessary as any other bit.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #412
DKDetective
Wizened Hermit

I think part of what Sharkboy was getting at is that minor logical failings that you notice afterwards after great thought and analysis are not that big of a deal if you don't notice them while watching the film, if you are so engrossed by what is going on. Take for example, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. In the big finale, there is no way that Blondie and Angel Eyes can actually dramatically sneak up on each other in the way they do, given how wide open the graveyard is. The movie is working by movie logic. The characters can't see what the audience can't see (ie. what isn't in the frame), but it doesn't matter because it is a freaking awesome scene.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #413
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
You lost me at ignore plot. Themes, characters and visuals are all tied together by the plot itself. The plot is where the themes, characters and visuals live. It is the very foundation of a story. It is as necessary as any other bit.
That's weird because I never once said "ignore" (and yes i did Ctrl+F it, just in case), of course plot is important, but in my opinion it's meaningless hard candy without the chocolate filling, and it's kinda useless complaining about the colour of the shell when you are ignoring the chocolate.

I really could do with some M&M's

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/4-Batman Begins/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Guardians of the Galaxy/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles
Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #414
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
yeah I don't agree with that assessment...the plot is the most important thing. If the plot doesnt make sense then the best characters and dialogue arent gonna make people sit through a movie.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #415
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I think part of what Sharkboy was getting at is that minor logical failings that you notice afterwards after great thought and analysis are not that big of a deal if you don't notice them while watching the film, if you are so engrossed by what is going on. Take for example, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. In the big finale, there is no way that Blondie and Angel Eyes can actually dramatically sneak up on each other in the way they do, given how wide open the graveyard is. The movie is working by movie logic. The characters can't see what the audience can't see (ie. what isn't in the frame), but it doesn't matter because it is a freaking awesome scene.
Bingo, you could tear apart the logic of scenes like that, because they are constructed for dramatic purposes, but does it make it any less of a scene? Heck would the scene be better if it was any different? I don't think so considering th "Il Triello" scene is one of my favourite cinematic climaxes ever. (next to Kristen Bell in Sarah Marshall)

Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #416
DKDetective
Wizened Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
yeah I don't agree with that assessment...the plot is the most important thing. If the plot doesnt make sense then the best characters and dialogue arent gonna make people sit through a movie.
This really makes me laugh given our respective positions on nuTrek. While I like Star Trek 09, its plot makes ZERO sense. Why doesn't Nero try and warn Romulus and prevent the future? How does Kirk randomly end up on a planet within walking distance of both Spock Prime and Scotty? and all of the other plotholes and unbelievable things that happen. I think myself and many others like the film in spite of those problems because it is fun and the characters and other aspects make up for a silly and blackhole-ridden story.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #417
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Not really that doesn't make it the most important thing. Let's not exagerate my comment, Just because I said it was secondary to themes doesn't mean it's not important and it can be nonsensical. Of course it needs to make sense and it needs to be good, but not at the cost of what it's trying to really tell you.

What about all the great films out there that have little to no actual plot, the great films that are mostly character pieces, films that get by with their visuals, acting and thematic material with very little plot. Are they lesser films?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #418
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
This really makes me laugh given our respective positions on nuTrek. While I like Star Trek 09, its plot makes ZERO sense. Why doesn't Nero try and warn Romulus and prevent the future? How does Kirk randomly end up on a planet within walking distance of both Spock Prime and Scotty? and all of the other plotholes and unbelievable things that happen. I think myself and many others like the film in spite of those problems because it is fun and the characters and other aspects make up for a silly and blackhole-ridden story.
Yeh exactly...it's completely ridiculous, but they are excellent moments in the film and theres a point to it. Could a better writer be a little less lazy and come up with more natural and smarter ways to get over these "plot holes" yes....but it still gets the message and point over, and it's just as potent. (well to me it was)

Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #419
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Like I said before...a plothole can ruin a movie but if the movie is entertaining enough then you forgive plotholes as long as they arent plot shattering.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #420
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Not really that doesn't make it the most important thing. Let's not exagerate my comment, Just because I said it was secondary to themes doesn't mean it's not important and it can be nonsensical. Of course it needs to make sense and it needs to be good, but not at the cost of what it's trying to really tell you.

What about all the great films out there that have little to no actual plot, the great films that are mostly character pieces, films that get by with their visuals, acting and thematic material with very little plot. Are they lesser films?
what great film has little to no plot???

Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #421
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
That's weird because I never once said "ignore" (and yes i did Ctrl+F it, just in case), of course plot is important, but in my opinion it's meaningless hard candy without the chocolate filling, and it's kinda useless complaining about the colour of the shell when you are ignoring the chocolate.

I really could do with some M&M's
You say you didn't say don't ignore plot, but then devalue it again. You just called it meaningless. Without plot there is no driving force. There is nowhere for the characters and themes to exist. You want visuals without plot? Welcome to hell.

There is a reason even "The Great Train Robbery" has a plot.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #422
herolee10
No More Miracles

The weird thing is though; with all of the rumored kryptonians that we have on Earth, how is it that we haven't gotten any official confirmations about their presence in the film, let alone any sightings regarding the actors in their costumes?

I would have thought that we would have seen some of them during the Smallville set photos but we've only gotten photos of Zod and Faora being there.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #423
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
The Spock/Scotty stuff is just dumb.

But the Nero thing is simple. He will never have his Romulus back. He knows he'll never see his wife again. Warning Romulus won't change that.He can't go back and even if he did, no idea if anything would change. All that is left is his fury, his revenge.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #424
roach
I am the night

Trust me if there was no need for plot Hollywood would fire all the screenwriters and just put characters on screen.
As a screenwriter the first question I am asked when selling a script is "What's it about?" Actors when thinking about taking a role ask how the character changes from the beginning to the end.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #425
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
what great film has little to no plot???
Erm...(now i actually have to think or i'll look like a fool)

Thin Red Line (or pretty much any Terrence Malick film) Almost every David Lynch film, The Master. There will be blood has such a slow and meticulous plot it definitely is a backseat to everything else (and makes it truly great).

Closed Thread