The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #801
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

Default Re: Discussion: FOX News II

Women tend to go further in higher education than men do. If we guys want to regain our status as "breadwinners," than we need to change the way we work. Get higher education and take education seriously.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #802
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Those poor guys were just digging their hole deeper and deeper...

I have several married friends where the woman makes more money than the man...those guys could care less. For them its about paying the bills, living life, not who has the "breadwinner" title....they both are paying the bills, both are raising their kids, both are working hard.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #803
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siby View Post
The other thing that cracks me up about Fox News is that they are always talking about media bias. They are also always telling us that Fox News is the most watched network.

So if they are the most watched network and there is media bias, doesn't that mean that the majority of the bias is coming from them? Also, how can the Liberals then be so influential to corrupt America?
Fox dominates the ratings....the numbers can be verified if u wanted to know....MSNBC has no bias on the other side??

Old 06-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #804
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Fox News is the most popular network, since it's all conservatives have. People on the left have a much larger variety to choose from (CNN, MSNBC, NBC News, etc).

CNN and MSNBC are both left-leaning. You can usually tell just by how they refer to gay marriage (on CNN for example, they call it "marriage equality").

Still, CNN doesn't lean as far to the left as Fox does to the right. MSNBC on the other hand, is basically a news network attempting to become the Fox News of the left.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #805
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
MSNBC has no bias on the other side??
MSNBC doesn't claim to be "fair and balanced", they are fairly open that they lean one way

Old 06-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #806
Marx
Pixelated

FOX News is about as far from "fair and balanced" as you can get.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #807
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
FOX News is about as far from "fair and balanced" as you can get.
I think you could argue MSNBC is as biased as FOX, but as I say they don't try hide behind the cloak that they are somehow down the middle. The Fox News slogan of "Fair and Balanced" is a joke, it's almost something I would expect a propaganda department to label itself.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #808
Marx
Pixelated

I'm certainly not going to defend MSNBC's bias. The point, as you said, is the fact that MSNBC does not hide the fact that they're biased. FOX News, on the other hand...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #809
johndoe123
Batknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
I'm certainly not going to defend MSNBC's bias. The point, as you said, is the fact that MSNBC does not hide the fact that they're biased. FOX News, on the other hand...
Not that I'm a big fan by any means of FOX or any cable news station for that matter but, I feel FOX has always made a pretty clear distinction (with the exception of fox and friends) between their hard news shows and their opinion shows. The whole "fair and balance" motto referring to their hard news people such as Shep Smith, Megan Kelly, Bert Baier, etc. Who I feel do a pretty good job of keeping things balanced. I really don't think FOX has tried to hide the fact that their opinions shows are made up of right wingers. You'd would have to be brain dead not to notice at this point.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #810
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe123 View Post
Not that I'm a big fan by any means of FOX or any cable news station for that matter but, I feel FOX has always made a pretty clear distinction (with the exception of fox and friends) between their hard news shows and their opinion shows. The whole "fair and balance" motto referring to their hard news people such as Shep Smith, Megan Kelly, Bert Baier, etc. Who I feel do a pretty good job of keeping things balanced. I really don't think FOX has tried to hide the fact that their opinions shows are made up of right wingers. You'd would have to be brain dead not to notice at this point.
Agreed on this. People always seem to think their news section is overtly biased when it is no different, in most cases, from the other major news outlets. I think it's just that their opinion people are far more famous and get more national coverage than their serious news anchors. When people claim FOX News' news coverage is biased, they always cite Hannity and O'Reilly as their evidence, who are the furthest from news anchors and their titles of "political commentators" are ignored.

Last edited by Webfoot Hero; 06-02-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #811
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Agreed on this. People always seem to think their news section is overtly biased when it is no different, in most cases, from the other major news outlets. I think it's just that their opinion people are far more famous and get more national coverage than their serious news anchors, which makes people think that FOX News is an all-the-time right-wing network when it's really not.
I still find their news anchors lean right(maybe not to the degree of some of their opinion shows, but they still do)

Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #812
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I still find their news anchors lean right(maybe not to the degree of some of their opinion shows, but they still do)
And is that necessarily a bad thing, considering I can tell all the other networks use, for the most part, left-leaning anchors (having worked for a Democratic politician is a dead giveaway for telling one's bias) for their news coverage? Even though I don't have cable/satellite TV, I've watched enough of all the news networks to know each one has their own biases, but Fox News seems to everyone's whipping boy for bias.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #813
johndoe123
Batknight

Quote:
Perhaps but let's be honest here, not matter how much of a hard news journalist someone is, they all have bias and they are going to come out once and awhile. Hell, Shep Smith is probably a liberal from what I've gathered and he's their lead reporter. What matters is that the majority of their reporting is pretty fair, compared to all the other news stations anyways.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #814
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Perhaps but let's be honest here, not matter how much of a hard news journalist someone is, they all have bias and they are going to come out once and awhile. Hell, Shep Smith is probably a liberal from what I've gathered and he's their lead reporter. What matters is that the majority of their reporting is pretty fair, compared to all the other news stations anyways.
I probably would rate Shep and Chris Wallace as pretty fair(as it comes to the news industry), but Meg Kelly and even more so Bret Baier definitely have bias.

On the same token I can find fairly centrist anchors(Andrea Mitchell and Chris Todd) on MSNBC(grant you they usually on in morning slots). I would probably say MSNBC has the most fair morning show of the bunch as well

Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #815
johndoe123
Batknight

Quote:
I probably would rate Shep and Chris Wallace as pretty fair(as it comes to the news industry), but Meg Kelly and even more so Bret Baier definitely have bias.

On the same token I can find fairly centrist anchors(Andrea Mitchell and Chris Todd) on MSNBC(grant you they usually on in morning slots). I would probably say MSNBC has the most fair morning show of the bunch as well
Your probably right when it comes to morning shows yeah. I haven't watch much MSNBC so I wont speak of them. But I don't want to start arguing over who's more or less bias, in my view there all on about the same level.

My main point being, is that the view that FOX is nothing but this station of right wingers who bash Obama all day while trying to secretly deceive the public that their all straight journalist is complete BS. FOX is what it is and I don't think they've tried to make anyone think their anything different. They'd be fools to try.

Last edited by johndoe123; 06-02-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #816
Fading
?(°^°)?

Quote:
I think the problem has more to do with what they report. Their opinion shows are definitely bias, but that's expected. However even their straight up reporting, non opinion, segments tend to report right leaning positive, negative left news more often. Plus their guests can be pretty lopsided. I watched Fox back during Bush vs Kerry. Around the clock they had far more Republican guests, and what little Democrat guests they had were idiots who stopped just short of foaming at the mouth.

Obviously some stories are so big that you can't cherry pick, especially with who's involved in the story. However the rest of the time Fox definitely weights which stories they talk about all day, and the quality of the left and right guests in a very right leaning positive way. That said, MSNBC does it as well, they just don't hide behind a fair and balanced motto. Also personally, after having watched both, I think their non opinion shows report the news in a bit more balanced way than Fox (I've seen more Republican guests on MSNBC, than Democrats on Fox), not by much, but that's just IMO. Both are easily the far ends of the mainstream cable news channels.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #817
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
I think the problem has more to do with what they report. Their opinion shows are definitely bias, but that's expected. However even their straight up reporting, non opinion, segments tend to report right leaning positive, negative left news more often. Plus their guests can be pretty lopsided. I watched Fox back during Bush vs Kerry. Around the clock they had far more Republican guests, and what little Democrat guests they had were idiots who stopped just short of foaming at the mouth.

Obviously some stories are so big that you can't cherry pick, especially with who's involved in the story. However the rest of the time Fox definitely weights which stories they talk about all day, and the quality of the left and right guests in a very right leaning positive way. That said, MSNBC does it as well, they just don't hide behind a fair and balanced motto. Also personally, after having watched both, I think their non opinion shows report the news in a bit more balanced way than Fox (I've seen more Republican guests on MSNBC, than Democrats on Fox), not by much, but that's just IMO. Both are easily the far ends of the mainstream cable news channels.
I'm not about to argue that their (Fox's) opinion shows and pundits are VERY LOPSIDED....but their reporters are some of the best in the business, especially their White House, State Department and Pentagon reporters....and I'm doubtful you would find many in the media that would disagree with me. They, however, do work for a company that is VERY BIASED, but they have done their reporting better than many I have seen, and my tv is pretty much on the news 24/7. As far as more Republicans on MSNBC, than Democrats on Fox, I would really like to see your facts on that...

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #818
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Interesting Pew Study....

http://stateofthemedia.org/2013/spec...ews-landscape/

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #819
Fading
?(°^°)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm not about to argue that their (Fox's) opinion shows and pundits are VERY LOPSIDED....but their reporters are some of the best in the business, especially their White House, State Department and Pentagon reporters....and I'm doubtful you would find many in the media that would disagree with me. They, however, do work for a company that is VERY BIASED, but they have done their reporting better than many I have seen, and my tv is pretty much on the news 24/7. As far as more Republicans on MSNBC, than Democrats on Fox, I would really like to see your facts on that...
I don't mean the way it's reported, I mean what they choose to report on, and what guests are invited. The hosts have little say over that (not talking the opinion shows). (Just an example) Shep is reporting news, and the higher ups decide to run a story on a minor Democratic scandal while a bigger story is going on, and invite an well spoke Republican, and outspoken fringe Democrat on as guests. Shep has little he can do with that as the stories chosen, and the guests will make themselves (and maybe their entire argument and political affiliation) look bad. I just find Fox tends to report more right favorable stories, and invites better (and more) Republican guests to speak on the stories.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #820
Fading
?(°^°)?

Oh, forgot. As for the MSNBC vs. Fox on Republican vs. Democrat thing, that's simple. Fox has plenty of former presidential candidates on their shows, and regularly feature well known Republican guests. I can only remember a handful of Democratic regulars though (Colmes obviously comes to mind).

I'm not saying MSNBC is a saint, far from it. However one of their most popular shows, Morning Joe, is hosted by a conservative Republican who's ran for office. The former RNC chairman Michael Steele is a regular guest on just about every show they have. As are former Republican politicians like Rudy Guiliani. When Debbie Wasserman Schultz becomes a regular on Hannity, and O'Reilley's shows, and a smart, center leaning Democrat is given reigns of a popular morning show, regularly featuring Democrat guests, I'll consider them even. Their opinion shows are equally bias obviously, which is why I pretty much consider them even. I just think MSNBC features more Repbulicans than Fox features Democrats, and better quality ones at that.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #821
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

That was an interesting survey. It does feel like the media spends too much time on commentary and not enough time on reporting the facts. CNN isnt a great channel but it is the one I watch. I'm happy that it at least has been doing more journalism than commentary.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #822
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I don't mean the way it's reported, I mean what they choose to report on, and what guests are invited. The hosts have little say over that (not talking the opinion shows). (Just an example) Shep is reporting news, and the higher ups decide to run a story on a minor Democratic scandal while a bigger story is going on, and invite an well spoke Republican, and outspoken fringe Democrat on as guests. Shep has little he can do with that as the stories chosen, and the guests will make themselves (and maybe their entire argument and political affiliation) look bad. I just find Fox tends to report more right favorable stories, and invites better (and more) Republican guests to speak on the stories.
Quote:
Oh, forgot. As for the MSNBC vs. Fox on Republican vs. Democrat thing, that's simple. Fox has plenty of former presidential candidates on their shows, and regularly feature well known Republican guests. I can only remember a handful of Democratic regulars though (Colmes obviously comes to mind).

I'm not saying MSNBC is a saint, far from it. However one of their most popular shows, Morning Joe, is hosted by a conservative Republican who's ran for office. The former RNC chairman Michael Steele is a regular guest on just about every show they have. As are former Republican politicians like Rudy Guiliani. When Debbie Wasserman Schultz becomes a regular on Hannity, and O'Reilley's shows, and a smart, center leaning Democrat is given reigns of a popular morning show, regularly featuring Democrat guests, I'll consider them even. Their opinion shows are equally bias obviously, which is why I pretty much consider them even. I just think MSNBC features more Repbulicans than Fox features Democrats, and better quality ones at that.
um, yeah....ok.

Bob Beckel, Liz Chadderdon, Susan Estrich, Alan Colmes, Kirsten Powers, Lanny Davis, Dr. Marc Lamont Hill, John Kucinich, James Carville, Juan Williams, Neal Boortz, Doug Schoen, Santita Jackson

Probably about 10 more regulars that I can't remember their names, the guys above are on usually at least once a week, sometimes more. For instance Kirsten Powers is on the regular panels of a couple of shows I believe...

As for myself, I lean more towards those that are Libertarian...but that's just me, don't really like any of the Republicans or Democrats on any of the networks, except for Kirsten Powers, she's probably the most solid (of my views) of all of them.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #823
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...s-contributor/

Quote:
Sarah Palin set to return as Fox News contributor

What is that like 6 months since they canned her? Oh Vey

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #824
Ant-manic
Banned User

my problem with Fox is that they actively promote hate and intolerance. they're always the first to invoke reverse racism or point out the imaginary War on Christmas. if i were a white anglo-saxon protestant, it might not bother me. alas...

Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #825
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
if i were a white anglo-saxon protestant, it might not bother me. alas...
I am all of that and I still find their fears unfounded especially since they claim Freedom of Religion is what motivates them but I never see them defending a Muslim's/Pagan's/Buddhist's/etc. right to practice what they believe.

Closed Thread