The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #301
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

Default Re: The Foreign Film Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
I really preferred Ip Man than Ip Man 2. Looking forward to Legend of the Fist. Why do all Chinese superheros that I know of seem to have modeled their look after Kato's ? (The limo driver with a mask on look)
Who doesn't want to look like Bruce Lee?

Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #302
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Who doesn't want to look like Bruce Lee?
Haha
Good point.

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #303
cabel
Side-Kick

Some movies I've seen:

The Bicycle Thief
Umberto D
Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Ran
Dodeskaden
Red Beard
Stray Dog
The Lower Depths
Ikiru
High and Low
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Throne of Blood
Madadayo
Rhapsody in August
Kagemusha (I'm a big Kurosawa fan if you haven't noticed)
Run Lola Run
Nosferatu
Metropolis
Band of Outsiders
The Seventh Seal
Persona
Pan's Labyrinth
The Devil's Backbone
Let the Right One In
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl who played with fire
The Girl who kicked the hornets nest
The King and the Mockingbird
King of Hearts
Godzilla
Curse of the Golden Flower
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
The Great Yokai Wat
Sukiyaki Western Django
Perfect Blue
Millenium Actress
Tokyo Drifter
Tokyo Godfathers

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #304
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ Good list.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #305
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Watched part of a strange one last night. Movie called TOKYO...3 different directors of 3 different stories set in the modern day Tokyo. I watched the first 2 segements before going to bed late last night.

First segment.....a young couple move to the city, stay with a friend as they look for work and thier own place to live, he's an avant garde director (it shows short parts of the film he directed....it's very bad)...thier car is towed and the girl has to try and get thier stuff out of the impounded car. Up to this point it's a nice little slice of life story, nothing spectacular, but cute story....then it turns weird.....
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
she starts turning into a chair....a wooden chair.....when anyone else is around, she's a chair....when they leave or turn thier head, she becomes the girl again...and is happy about the situation.

Second segment.....a strange man climbs out of a sewer manhole and in a long single shot wanders down a street creating havok as he goes. I don't know if they had the guy just do whatever he wants to unsuspecting bystanders or if it is all planned out....but he fast walks down the street knocking things out of people's hands, taking things from them, etc....while the music from Godzilla plays. A TV newscast talks about how the city is being terrorized by this strange man. Up to this point I think it's slightly amusing and a failed attempt at outrageous humor....and then it gets weird....
he goes into an old Japanese submarine in the sewer, nad comes out with a bunch of hand grenades...he then walks down the street tossing them everywhere blowing up and killing dozens of people...he wanders away in the confusion to strip naked and fall asleep in the park...and then in an extended full frontal nudity shot of him I did not need to see, he is arrested and put on trial...it gets even stranger but boring after that.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #306
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/city_of_life_and_death/

Anyone seen this? I was reading up on Nan(K)ing and saw a few of the images. It pretty much sounds like hell on earth.

This real life character in particular from the movie sounds interesting.
After helping the people of Nanking they sent him and his family food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe#Postwar

Last edited by Why Are You Crouching Spock?; 05-13-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #307
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Watched part of a strange one last night. Movie called TOKYO...3 different directors of 3 different stories set in the modern day Tokyo. I watched the first 2 segements before going to bed late last night.

First segment.....a young couple move to the city, stay with a friend as they look for work and thier own place to live, he's an avant garde director (it shows short parts of the film he directed....it's very bad)...thier car is towed and the girl has to try and get thier stuff out of the impounded car. Up to this point it's a nice little slice of life story, nothing spectacular, but cute story....then it turns weird.....
she starts turning into a chair....a wooden chair.....when anyone else is around, she's a chair....when they leave or turn thier head, she becomes the girl again...and is happy about the situation.

Second segment.....a strange man climbs out of a sewer manhole and in a long single shot wanders down a street creating havok as he goes. I don't know if they had the guy just do whatever he wants to unsuspecting bystanders or if it is all planned out....but he fast walks down the street knocking things out of people's hands, taking things from them, etc....while the music from Godzilla plays. A TV newscast talks about how the city is being terrorized by this strange man. Up to this point I think it's slightly amusing and a failed attempt at outrageous humor....and then it gets weird....
he goes into an old Japanese submarine in the sewer, nad comes out with a bunch of hand grenades...he then walks down the street tossing them everywhere blowing up and killing dozens of people...he wanders away in the confusion to strip naked and fall asleep in the park...and then in an extended full frontal nudity shot of him I did not need to see, he is arrested and put on trial...it gets even stranger but boring after that.
I watched that a week or two ago and loved it.

Each story is pretty interesting. Joon-Ho Bong does the last one I believe.

In that second story, the mutant guy from the sewer finds that submarine and I remember seeing a poster or sign saying something about remembering the Japanese's soldiers from NanKing. I felt he was a metaphor for Japan's past with NanKing come back to haunt them.

C. Lee, if you like big monster movies check out Bong's film The Host. He also did a movie called Mother that was pretty damn good as well.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #308
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

This guy sounds pretty dam epic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamot...ki_Kojir.C5.8D

The thing with Sasaki Kojiro carving the rowing oar on the boat that was taking him to a duel and dying upright with a sword in one hand and a cane in the other sounds like the kind of stuff that would make a awsome movie.

Or... maybe not.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #309
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Just finished watching Bertolucci's The Conformist. Very interesting film. I can't say that I'm the biggest Bertolucci's fan in general, but the guy was really a great director nonetheless.
The story, the music, Storaro's amazing cinematography, the actors led by a Jean Louis Trintignant at the top of his game, really made for a powerful cinematic experience.
Getting to see Stefania Sandrelli and Dominique Sanda topless didn't hurt either

Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #310
War Party
Ve vant ze money,Lebowski

Quote:
I really preferred Ip Man than Ip Man 2. Looking forward to Legend of the Fist. Why do all Chinese superheros that I know of seem to have modeled their look after Kato's ? (The limo driver with a mask on look)
Legend of the Fist is pretty sweet. I think I'm going to recommend a Japanese movie to you guys called Fish Story, but it's a bit hard to find. I had to download it to watch it. I'm just going to say I fell in love with this movie and it has such an amazing ending. And an incredibly catchy punk rock song played by the band in the movie.

And Tokyo! is such a cool little movie. I love Gondry's segment the best.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #311
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Party View Post
Legend of the Fist is pretty sweet. I think I'm going to recommend a Japanese movie to you guys called Fish Story, but it's a bit hard to find. I had to download it to watch it. I'm just going to say I fell in love with this movie and it has such an amazing ending. And an incredibly catchy punk rock song played by the band in the movie.

And Tokyo! is such a cool little movie. I love Gondry's segment the best.
I think Leos Carax directed one of the segments. I hate Leos Carax movies, pretentious and boring, but I might check it out for the other directors.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #312
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I really want to see "Legend of the Fist."

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #313
TDK Joker
Float On

Thanks to my film studies course at college I've been able to see a few great foreign films. Some have already been mentioned, the others haven't. They are
-La Haine
-City of God
-Amores Perros
-Life is Beautiful
-Let The Right One In
-The Motorcycle Diaries
-Breathless
-All About My Mother

And also a foreign documentary called "News from a Personal War"

Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #314
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ Good List. Love them all, except for "Amores Perros", because of the real dog fights being filmed for the movies.
I love movies, but I also love dogs

Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #315
TDK Joker
Float On

I watched it while my dog was with me. That was a bit of a mistake and I would not recommend it!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #316
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Lol
I know the feeling, I watched Jaws with my pet shark.

Just kidding

Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #317
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Last night I watched -

VOLERE VOLARE (1991) Italian

Maurizio Nichetti as Maurizio
Angela Finocchiaro as Martina

Maurizio is a shy, short, funny looking guy. He and his brother run a movie dubbing business. He spends his day wandering the city collecting different sounds (usually with humorous results) and his evenings dubbing sound to imported cartoons.

Martina is tall, slim, and not very fond of men. She could be called a "specialty" call girl....except she doesn't actually engage in sex. Her business dealing usually involve her being nude in some sort of way...but she fulfills men's (and some women's) fantasies in various non sex involving ways. She for example lays nude on a table as a baker covers her in chocolate and puts icing on her like a fancy cake, or takes a shower as twins watch her.

One day Martina is fulfilling a couple's fantasy (she's dressed as a nurse, the husband is on a stretcher, the wife is acting all stressed out over his predicament)....she's having trouble getting the stretcher from the street to thier house when Maurizio happens by and helps her. Later at his work, as he is in the process of dubbing a cartoon (it's projected onto the wall in front of him as he creates all the sounds for it)....he doesn't notice that some of the cartoon characters make it off of the screen and wander off on thier own.

Later as he walks home in the rain, Martina sees him as she passes in a taxi. Recognizing him, she gets him out of the rain and into her cab....unfortuantly she is on the job....the cabbie is paying her to act scared as he drives recklessly around town. Maurizio doesn't know any of this and spends the ride screaming for help (which the cabbie loves)....when they are let out at her house, she gets him to come over for a drink to calm his nerves....where they are attacked by another of her clients who likes to act like he's robbing her...which leads to Maurizio trying to defend her and getting the tar beaten out of him.

Over the next few weeks....Maurizio continues his dubbing and not noticing more cartoons characters wandering off of the screen and out the door, and Martina's clients now want the funny little guy to accompany her on thier "dates". As she tries to find him and worries about how to tell him what she does....he has his own problems....he's now starting to turn into a cartoon character.

Cute humorous movie. Not drop down on the floor funny...but cute. The animation parts are well done for the time, there's a lot of nudity that I didn't expect, and it's a strange plot. But hey, I like strange and humorous....I liked it.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #318
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Watched a couple interesting foreign films lately. Funny thing is both films I saw center around childhood romances.

The first is Love me if you Dare: the story of 2 poor kids growing up who both make each other do dares "asking if they're game" and basically love each other for their entire lives even if they're separated from time to time. Marion Cotillard is seriously hot.

The 2nd is Let the Right One In which was remade with the girl who plays Hit Girl in Kick Ass. It's basically the story of a little bullied kid who falls in "love" with a tiny female vampire who lives in his apartment complex.

RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #319
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I watched Possession a Polish horror film that is very reminiscent of Antichrist.

nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #320
luke1234
World Sick

recently watched
Red Road and Fish Tank, both by director Andrea Arnold.

Both start promising and are rather intense throughout, but ultimately come up a little short on the endings. I do like how she deals with the middle/lower classes and creates profound main characters. Arnold is a promising new director and I look forward to her future flicks.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #321
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Let the Right One In > Let Me In.
Although to be fair LMI was pretty good too.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #322
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Let the Right One In > Let Me In.
Although to be fair LMI was pretty good too.
I agree with both statements.

Ok, I've had 8 1/2 in my Netflix cue for quite sometime now and just haven't been in the mood to watch it. What I want to know is if it's really that good? I know everyone has different tastes of course, but I hear it's slow, in a bad way.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #323
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I know La Dolce Vita is revered and it is a great film, but I personally prefer the earlier Fellini movies like Il Bidone, I Vitelloni and La Strada of course. They seemed more dynamic and less existentialist.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #324
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
I know La Dolce Vita is revered and it is a great film, but I personally prefer the earlier Fellini movies like Il Bidone, I Vitelloni and La Strada of course. They seemed more dynamic and less existentialist.
Out of those I've only seen La Dolce Vita so far. I'll check the rest of them out in the near future.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #325
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I saw a Russian film a couple of days ago called Come and See which I definitely recommend.

nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote