The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

Old 08-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #51
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel Working With Netflix and ABC on Additional Series.

Cloak & Dagger, dangit! Also this would be a great format for Runaways.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #52
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

When were Cloak and Dagger or Spider-Woman more popular than Moon Knight or Elektra?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #53
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

They're not, but they're still cool characters who deserve to be adapted just as much as the others.

#DesignedByTonyStark
ernesth100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #54
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

^ Frankly, none of those characters are overwhelmingly popular, so it's anyone's guess who is more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Woman is more popular than Moon Knight, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I doubt Sony ever had control over Jessica Drew. They probably would have the ability to sue if she were used under the name Spider-Woman, though. Its not that she's a related character, but that the audience would *think* she's a related character. So, in practice, Marvel couldn't use her without a name, and possibly costume, change.

That's all moot now, of course.
A word of caution, it's technically not moot. The two studios are working together, but they're still competing studios. If Sony thinks Marvel is hurting their profitability, they will still object. Absent an agreement, there's no guarantees that Sony characters can just be used at will in the MCU.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #55
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Aren't Cloak and Dagger mutants? Doesn't that make them property of X-Men and Fox?

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #56
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

They got their powers from some drug that supervillains wanted to be the next heroin. They first appeared in Spectacular Spider-Man. That being said, they appeared a lot in New Mutants so it's easy to think of them as associated with the X-Men.

So the answer to the first question is no. The answer to the second question has nothing to do with whether or not they're mutants. It's possible to be a mutant and not property of X-Men and Fox as long as Marvel doesn't call them mutants. But, if I had to guess (and it's just a guess because I still never would have predicted that Fox owns Kang the Conqueror), I would say Marvel owns them.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #57
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

So I guess since they were in Spider-Man first, Sony owns Cloak and Dagger? Wasn't there a chart that said which heroes are owned by which studio?

#DesignedByTonyStark
Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #58
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

There is apparently a chart, but it's a secret chart, not available to the public.

I suspect Cloak and Dagger are their own property. Keep in mind it's not who they first appear in - or else Black Panther and Inhumans would belong to Fox. So would Namor (who belonged to Universal and is now mostly with Marvel). While it's not exactly clear, the easiest way of thinking about it is who are they most associated with.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 AM   #59
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesth100 View Post
So I guess since they were in Spider-Man first, Sony owns Cloak and Dagger? Wasn't there a chart that said which heroes are owned by which studio?
Nope. Kingpin and Punisher both debuted in Spider-Man first. Black Panther debuted in Fantastic Four.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:30 AM   #60
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Yeah, Punisher's another example I had forgotten. The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense, particularly when it comes to shared characters (where apparently Quicksilver is shared, but Kingpin is not). But I'm sure Marvel thinks there's a logic to it.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #61
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

This character rights thing is confusing.

#DesignedByTonyStark
Old 08-31-2015, 05:56 AM   #62
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Yeah, Punisher's another example I had forgotten. The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense, particularly when it comes to shared characters (where apparently Quicksilver is shared, but Kingpin is not). But I'm sure Marvel thinks there's a logic to it.
Basically marvel would have packaged up characters in oder to make the deal attractive. The likes of Fox would have haggled and negotiated to try and get other characters. Marvel may or may not have added some. We can guess what the packages would be, mutants go to fox with qs and scarlet witch being shared although they get some extra characters heavily linked with x-men, x-force etc... But unless we see the contracts we will never be sure.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #63
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I want a series to not be so dark this time around. If it's on the ABC main network, then hopefully it will not have any gore.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #64
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Anyone else think that it's highly unlikely(even if DD-level successful) that Iron Fist and Luke Cage(and maybe Jessica Jones as well) will ever get 2nd season continuations for each series rather than just getting bundled in a Heroes for Hire series after their initial first seasons(post Defenders mini-series, I mean)? That would free up Netflix to bring in other series like DotD and Punisher without losing characters that had been well received already. I just can't see them swinging 6-10 individual shows concurrently without trying to consolidate as much as they can in the meantime. DD is different than these others since he's got 50+ years of stories to pull from so that's why he deserved his own second season. None of the other 3 initial Defenders have nearly as much going for them in that department.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #65
Loki882
Side-Kick

With Misty Knight (seemingly) being cast, I'm hoping that Colleen Wing shows up at some point. Then they become BFF's (if they aren't already) and then we get a Daughters of the Dragon show.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #66
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

^I think that's very likely. It'll be after the Defenders though.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #67
Loki882
Side-Kick

Oh I know that. Sort of a "Phase Two" if you will.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #68
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Anyone else think that it's highly unlikely(even if DD-level successful) that Iron Fist and Luke Cage(and maybe Jessica Jones as well) will ever get 2nd season continuations for each series rather than just getting bundled in a Heroes for Hire series after their initial first seasons(post Defenders mini-series, I mean)? That would free up Netflix to bring in other series like DotD and Punisher without losing characters that had been well received already. I just can't see them swinging 6-10 individual shows concurrently without trying to consolidate as much as they can in the meantime. DD is different than these others since he's got 50+ years of stories to pull from so that's why he deserved his own second season. None of the other 3 initial Defenders have nearly as much going for them in that department.
I think it entirely depends on the popularity of the shows. My personal hope is to consolidate them in Heroes for Hire, but I've also never read their comics so I'm completely biased. After seeing the shows, I may go 180.

ETA: And I don't think their catalogue as individuals is quite that limited. Even Jessica Jones likely has more than one season's worth of material.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #69
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Well all I know of JJ is what I read in Alias, which is mainly what she's known for. That comic series for the most part seemed like around 1 season's worth of story for a TV show to me.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #70
Fincher
Too far gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well all I know of JJ is what I read in Alias, which is mainly what she's known for. That comic series for the most part seemed like around 1 season's worth of story for a TV show to me.
The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. characters didn't exist in the comics at the time, and they got their own show and got renewed twice. If Jessica Jones gets the Netflix equivalent of good ratings, they can borrow material from other Marvel properties that aren't getting used, or they can make it up like most TV shows have to do.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #71
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. characters didn't exist in the comics at the time, and they got their own show and got renewed twice. If Jessica Jones gets the Netflix equivalent of good ratings, they can borrow material from other Marvel properties that aren't getting used, or they can make it up like most TV shows have to do.
Yes, they could do that. It just seems that AoS has a rather open ended scenario by comparison since it's really not based on any specific story or anything. JJ obviously is rather different.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #72
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

What about something like a Damage Control series. It'd be similar to AoS and AC in that it's peripheral to the major superhero stuff, yet it would approach it from a civilian POV rather than a government one like those aforementioned series do. Or maybe a newsroom show like The Pulse or Civil War:Frontline were. New angles is what I'm getting at. A Damage Control series could be on Netflix and tap into the dark comedy aspects which we saw in some of the most acclaimed shows of the past. Sopranos had plenty of dark humor(The Pine Barrens) as did Breaking Bad(roof pizza). Channel that dark twisted humor regarding these shlubs who take the destruction from superhero battles for granted and even thrive off of it in a 'guilty pleasure for the audience' sort of way.

Last edited by kedrell; 09-03-2015 at 11:51 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:59 AM   #73
4thWallBreaker
Banned User

I'm all for a Damage Control and Runaways. Could be really rich storytelling.

I'd be for Blade, but coming from my thoughts on Ghost Rider and budgets being against it, I feel vampires turning to ash would cost some coin to make look real.

4thWallBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:42 AM   #74
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thWallBreaker View Post
I'm all for a Damage Control and Runaways. Could be really rich storytelling.

I'd be for Blade, but coming from my thoughts on Ghost Rider and budgets being against it, I feel vampires turning to ash would cost some coin to make look real.
Just do it how supernatural or buffy did it. Couldn't have cost that much.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:34 AM   #75
STR1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post
First, I only know of Blade through the movies and not through the comics. But I'm really wondering how a Blade would fit into the MCU. I don't know if I want the supernatural stuff that comes from Blade belonging in the same universe. Would this really work well?
This is my concern too. Vampires in the MCU?!? We already have "aliens" which are really just from other planets or galaxies. And we have Inhumans, which are replacing the mutants, with a kind of believable explanation as to why they exist. But vampires? I don't know. Some things are just better to keep in the comics or on their own universe. Unless they incorporate that the vampires are just "a race of aliens" living among humans for many years and to not even mention or say anything about the common knowledge we have of them from other films.

STR1 is offline   Reply With Quote