The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #526
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 8

I wonder what kind of cameo Stan Lee will have.

A war vet at Peggy's resting home?

Stalin in a flashback?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #527
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Stan Lee as one of the targets Winter Soldier brutally kills as an agent of the Soviet Union.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #528
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Stan Lee as one of the targets Winter Soldier brutally kills as an agent of the Soviet Union.
Maybe a security guard at the Smithsonian when Cap steals a replica CA uniform.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #529
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Yeah. I got that part.

Loki was arguing that Natasha's involvement was inevitable. I'm saying it wasn't.

And the female lead SHOULD be Sharon... But look where we are.

Pretty much everything that was said at comic con focused on Steve and Natasha's relationship. How close they are. How much they're alike and yet different. Etc.

Pretty much nothing was said about Steve and Sam. Though with Sam actually getting a decent amount of involvement in the plot, maybe he will develop something of a friendship with Steve, too.

But the main relationship Steve has is with Natasha.

So, I ask again, why would they build up such a relationship if they were going to drop it in the next movie?
that's not entirely true. I've heard very much that Sam and Steve are very much like a "buddy cop" at least that's how the interviews about Falcon have gone

Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #530
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Quote:
Man, people keep talking about how a great idea that Sharon is just getting an "introduction" role in this movie because it'll allow her to develop. Or that so she doesn't "jump into a relationship" with Steve.

Sharon isn't going to develop if she doesn't get an actual opportunity to have a decent amount of screentime and participate in the plot.

Sharon could participate in the plot and help hunt down Winter Soldier without being in a relationship with Steve.

Somehow, people have no problem with the concept of Natasha being a main character and participating in the plot without being involved with Steve. Yet they imagine that if Sharon gets to do more than stand there for two minutes, she's destined to blow Steve onscreen.
Yeah, I didn't say smaller=better for Sharon. I said, and meant, that I'm glad Sharon's getting introduced in the movie and seems to be developed outside of being solely a love interest for Steve. I think it's great that she'll be featured in the movie as a character in her own right. I see it as how BW was introduced in IM2, which I liked.

As for her actual development and screen time, we don't know any of that until we see the movie. I felt Widow stole the scenes she was in in IM2, and she wasn't in the movie much. Sharon's characterization could be in a similar vein.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #531
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Quote:
Actually Black Widow was a fairly substantial role. She wasn't the female lead, but it wasn't minor, either.

And Sharon is't going to follow this progression at all. She's never been an Avenger, so she's not going to get a substantial role in Avengers 2.

As for fans turning it into love triangle, then who gives a damn? Fans see a love triangle between Steve, Tony and Pepper. **** em, you know?
Who's to say Sharon won't have a similar role in CA:TWS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
"The Waitress" was in much more than just Stan's "get her phone number, ya moron" scene. Joss followed her story during the invasion, and included more deleted scenes, including one where Cap personally rescues her (his own modern-day damsel in distress). Not saying they locked lips or anything, just that the seeds of a typical Hollywood rescue-the-princess romance were already being put in place by Joss himself; that's reason enough for me to see that Steve Rogers' life isn't taken over by some all-consuming "you're never gonna get it" obsession with The Girl That Got Away.
I guess it just didn't register to me at all that way, either the deleted scene or the final edit of the movie. But it could be that I found the actress so blah that I wasn't even considering it.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 08-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #532
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Yeah, I didn't say smaller=better for Sharon. I said, and meant, that I'm glad Sharon's getting introduced in the movie and seems to be developed outside of being solely a love interest for Steve.
Pretty much the only thingthe actress had to say was that she flirts with Steve, so it sounds like she really is just being developed as a love interest.

Quote:
I think it's great that she'll be featured in the movie as a character in her own right. I see it as how BW was introduced in IM2, which I liked.

As for her actual development and screen time, we don't know any of that until we see the movie. I felt Widow stole the scenes she was in in IM2, and she wasn't in the movie much. Sharon's characterization could be in a similar vein.
Quote:
Who's to say Sharon won't have a similar role in CA:TWS.
Well, during the leadup to Iron Man 2, no one ever said that Natasha was a small role.

Meanwhile, all anyone has to say about Sharon is that it's an 'introductory' role.

She also said she's met many of her co-stars (including Anthony Mackie) for the first time as comic-con.

And we know she was missing from large stretches of filming, as she was working on other projects and tweeting from vacation.

It sounds like her role will be more akin to Hawkeye in Thor than it will be to Natasha in Iron Man.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #533
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Honestly, none of us know diddly squat about Sharon in this film, how larger her role actually is, and what her relationship with Steve will be... all we know is that she plays a "girl next door" that Cap likes under an alias name ("Kate" was it?), and then more happens, but that's it... honestly, if Sharon was only a small part in the film, I don't think they'd be so tight lipped about it and have VanCamp so locked down on what she's allowed to say.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #534
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Steve didn't work for SHIELD in avengers nor did he trust them or Fury. This film does seem to have him obviously now part of the fold. But those ties are going to be cut very short very quickly it seems. Like i said... He's a ronin
The point I was making, which you missed, was that in TWS Steve works for SHIELD. In TA he was obviously working with SHIELD in some capacity, hence the spy organization having set him up in an apartment, provided a computer and files on his former wartime colleagues, etc. Steve came to mistrust Fury later on in TA, but since he's a SHIELD operative in TWS we must assume that he decided to put aside those issues and accept employment with the spy agency. My point was that Steve has worked with SHIELD thus far and hasn't struck out on his own yet, though that will eventually happen. You, on the other hand, made it seem as if Steve has already gone out on his own in the MCU when that is not yet the case.

It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me...It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #535
Green Goblin
Twip

Is the film going to have the family friendly tone of IM3?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
2017 Spidey reboot ideas
The following post is my opinion so take it as you will.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #536
herolee10
No More Miracles

I'm not sure if I've already mentioned this already, but unless Steve had some hidden bank account back from the 40's that contained a lot of savings and was retained into the present day, then Steve really has no choice but to work with SHIELD who'll supply him with the expensive gear and equipment that he needs to operate.

Even if Steve wanted to work solo, there's no way he'd be able to do without the proper funds, unless Tony is generous enough to finance his endeavors.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #537
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Is the film going to have the family friendly tone of IM3?
Honestly, I doubt it. I mean, I don't think it'll be super dark or something, but I think it'll take itself a bit more seriously than Iron Man 3, though truth be told, after the disappointment of Iron Man 2, I was really surprised (in a good way) on how Shane Black and Marvel were really able to up the personal stakes for the story and approach the material with a more serious take on the character than they did with his previous solo installment.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #538
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm not sure if I've already mentioned this already, but unless Steve had some hidden bank account back from the 40's that contained a lot of savings and was retained into the present day, then Steve really has no choice but to work with SHIELD who'll supply him with the expensive gear and equipment that he needs to operate.

Even if Steve wanted to work solo, there's no way he'd be able to do without the proper funds, unless Tony is generous enough to finance his endeavors.
There was a story where the military paid him for all the years he was in the ice.

He also would be eligible for a pension, I think.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #539
Loki882
Side-Kick

Hopefully, this movie doesn't turn into a comedy in the second half, with constant and intrusive jokes that kill any tension in scenes that should be serious and important. I like IM 3 overall, but that annoyed me, especially since the movie was advertised as being more serious and personal.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #540
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I am not thrilled about this speculation of Widow. I am sort of worn out from here to be honest. I like Scarlet, but I think the character is a bit annoying.

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #541
Loki882
Side-Kick

Why? What exactly makes her more annoying than any of the other five Avengers, I really don't get that, be specific.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #542
Bren
Forevernoob

I find the idea of a romance between CA and Black Widow annoying.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #543
marvel_freshman
Side-Kick

Some great stuff from Samuel L. Jackson here!

Quote:
"You see Nick Fury the office guy, him going about the day-to-day work of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the politics as opposed to that other stuff," Samuel L. Jackson told USA Today about his S.H.I.E.L.D. director role. "It's great to have him dealing with Captain America in terms of being able to speak to him soldier to soldier and try to explain to him how the world has changed in another way while he was frozen in time. Some of the people who used to be our enemies are now our allies — him trying to figure out, "Well, how do we trust those guys?" or "How do we trust the guys that you didn't trust who don't trust you? And explaining to him that the black and white of good guys/bad guys has now turned into this gray area," he said. "Nick lies to him all the time, too. (Laughs) But he's trying to help him navigate the waters of the new sharks that he doesn't know anything about." Whether he's previously worked with Robert Redford, who plays the Head of S.H.I.E.L.D., Jackson says, "There were a couple of films they called me to do he was in, and I was doing something and I didn't have the opportunity to go and do them. It was perfect to be able to finally get on screen with somebody I respected and have enjoyed over the years. It was a real treat," he said. Whether Redford's character, Alexander Pierce, is Nick Fury's boss, Samuel L. Jackson reassures, "Yeah, he's part of that World Security Council I was talking to in (The Avengers), just he wasn't there. We also know each other because we've been comrades for a very long time." Jackson also says we'll "sorta kinda" see a backstory on Alexander Pierce and how he fits in with everything. "There's some stuff that's said that gives you an idea of how he's been part of that environment for a long time and the kind of guy he was," he said. There's always stuff to deal with when I'm being Nick. Everything has another meaning with Nick. Finding the truth of what he's saying in that particular moment is the important thing. Ultimately there's a lie in there somewhere. Sometimes it's a lie he's been told that he hasn't discovered, so I have to deal with that all the time."

Samuel L. Jackson continued saying, "There's also the nature of his relationship with different people. Like when he talks to Cap, he can talk to Cap in several different ways. He can talk to him as an equal in terms of they were both soldiers from a specific era, and you understand his kind of morality. He can also talk to him as a guy who's part of a world he doesn't know anything about, and he's a mentor now to help him do something. And then I speak to him sometimes as a boss. There's all those things I have to blend in to make sure he doesn't get rankled or ruffled in a certain kind of way and make sure he understands," he said. "And when I talk to Natasha [Romanoff aka Black Widow], it's as a father figure because he loves her in a way that he doesn't love anybody else as part of that whole group of people. The fact that they're both members of this shadow world and he knows her past in a way that no one else knows it, there's an affection and a respect there and a knowledge of that kind of person she is in there. Even if she loves him, if she had to kill him, she would, and he understands that. There's a way of dealing with her that he can't deal with anybody else. There are all kinds of things that happen," Samuel L. Jackson says of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. "When I'm dealing with the world council, I've got a whole other attitude. And when I look in the mirror, I have to deal with what kind of patriot am I? There's Nick dealing with Nick, and how many lies have I told? Have I told so many lies that I don't really know what's the truth anymore?"

Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #544
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #545
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel_freshman View Post
Some great stuff from Samuel L. Jackson here!
Good interview, thanks Freshman. Always great to hear from Samuel L.!

Fury always has the potential to be a good and complex character, and the larger his role, the more likely it is that we'll see that in the film. He also gives us, the audience, the best avenue for exploring the history of SHIELD and the MCU world, since he's been around and been involved in pretty much everything.

I'd love to see a younger Fury doing James Bond stuff at some point in the MCU, but I doubt that'll happen in this film. (I always thought it would be cool, but very convoluted and out of left field at this point, admittedly, if we found out that Fury was Gabe Jones from CA:TFA, who had the traditional 616 Fury backstory, and took the moniker "Nick Fury" after returning from a mission where he was thought dead, lost an eye, and got injected with the Infinity Formula..... don't hate! I know it's a crazy idea!!)

Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #546
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The point I was making, which you missed, was that in TWS Steve works for SHIELD. In TA he was obviously working with SHIELD in some capacity, hence the spy organization having set him up in an apartment, provided a computer and files on his former wartime colleagues, etc. Steve came to mistrust Fury later on in TA, but since he's a SHIELD operative in TWS we must assume that he decided to put aside those issues and accept employment with the spy agency. My point was that Steve has worked with SHIELD thus far and hasn't struck out on his own yet, though that will eventually happen. You, on the other hand, made it seem as if Steve has already gone out on his own in the MCU when that is not yet the case.
Considering Steve working for shield in tws is short lived. I don't see how your comment really means much period. Its arguing semantics practically

Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #547
Loki882
Side-Kick

So, when Jackson says that Cap and Fury are "soldiers from a specific era," does that mean that they're going to reveal that Fury was a WWII vet as well like in the comics, that could be cool if the choose to do it? Also, Fury as a sort of father figure to Natasha actually sounds very interesting. Fury has a similar relationship with Daisy Johnson (Quake) in the comics.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #548
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Anyone know what this symbol is? From the Peggy Carter one shot...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Infinity Formula??

Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #549
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

I think they likely go with Fury being a Vietnam War vet if they don't have him with the Infinity Formula.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #550
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Anyone know what this symbol is? From the Peggy Carter one shot...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Infinity Formula??
It'd make quite alot of sense. That symbols base design looks like an Egyptian Ankh... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh which means/represents eternal life and literally represents "the key to life".

Closed Thread