The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #101
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,619
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
I don't care if he killed in other movies. I wasn't a fan of that either. Snyder had an opportunity to make the most comic accurate batman and gave us punisher. Plus Bruce Wayne was just unlikable in this.
If Batman was the Punisher he would have went into the warehouse with a machine gun and just shot everyone. People want Batman to fight crime forever while going up against people with helicopter guns and bazookas. If there were never any casualties, Batman would realistic never last more than a year with these types of gangs he faces. You can't have Batman exist in the real world and there never be a casualty in the wars on the streets that he fights.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #102
antoineflemming
Side-Kick
 
antoineflemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,366
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
I don't care if he killed in other movies. I wasn't a fan of that either. Snyder had an opportunity to make the most comic accurate batman and gave us punisher. Plus Bruce Wayne was just unlikable in this.
I liked Bruce Wayne and Batman in this. And a whole lot of other people did as well.

antoineflemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #103
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,619
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gunk View Post
I hate this thing the Nolan Batman trilogy has introduced of having to over analyse everything that goes on in these films and having to place it all in a real life situation.

In saying that BvS has story point's that are just plain stupid and had people scratching their heads. Superman saying Martha instead of mom, letting Batman go after his mom seconds after threatening to drive a kryptonite spear through his skull etc. That's just poor writing.
Superman using the name Martha illustrates to Batman that in Superman's dying breath his only concern was saving a human being (Martha obviously being a human name). Completely going against Batman's fear of, "he has the power to wipe out the human race..." Batman got a window into Superman's soul(what better time than when one is about to die) and Superman's only care was saving the life of a human being. It just so happens to be that Martha was his mother's name as well which woke Batman up from the monster he had become, which ironically Batman was created to protect others from monsters just like that.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #104
Tony Gunk
Clown Prince of Crime
 
Tony Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,054
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Superman using the name Martha illustrates to Batman that in Superman's dying breath his only concern was saving a human being (Martha obviously being a human name). Completely going against Batman's fear of, "he has the power to wipe out the human race..." Batman got a window into Superman's soul(what better time than when one is about to die) and Superman's only care was saving the life of a human being. It just so happens to be that Martha was his mother's name as well which woke Batman up from the monster he had become, which ironically Batman was created to protect others from monsters just like that.

I've been told by several people he knew Bruce's mothers name was Martha too and that's why he said it, even though there's no scene in the film showing Clark investigating Bruce and seeing his parents names. See? It's crap writing, no-one knows what's going on because it was never clear. I saw the picture in the cinema twice and both times all I could get from it was that he was close to death and randomly for some bizarre reason said Martha, it's not as if he was in the position to be sitting and thinking up a plan, he was seconds from death after all.

Tony Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #105
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,619
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gunk View Post
I've been told by several people he knew Bruce's mothers name was Martha too and that's why he said it, even though there's no scene in the film showing Clark investigating Bruce and seeing his parents names. See? It's crap writing, no-one knows what's going on because it was never clear. I saw the picture in the cinema twice and both times all I could get from it was that he was close to death and randomly for some bizarre reason said Martha, it's not as if he was in the position to be sitting and thinking up a plan, he was seconds from death after all.
How much clear does it need to be that saying "Save Martha" means to save the life of another human being. Whether or not Clark knew doesn't change the fact that all he is doing is pleading to save the life of a human and that should be what is taken from that, which is made quite clear.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #106
Travesty
Side-Kick
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 22,241
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Superman said "Martha", because he knows that Batman doesn't know who he really is. So if he just says, "save my mom", it wont mean anything to Batman, if he has no clue that Superman is Clark Kent.

Now, if they knew who each other were, it would be different.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #107
Tony Gunk
Clown Prince of Crime
 
Tony Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,054
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

it doesn't work though does it?

he just says Martha. If he wanted sympathy or to warn him then in the heat of the moment he'd say MOM. He wouldn't be sitting there gasping for air thinking "Hmm maybe I'll say Martha, you never know his mother might be Martha too and I might bag some sympathy points". Saying Matha only makes sense if he knows full well it's Bruce's mothers name too, but that is NEVER established, and even if it was it's still a very sketchy reason to have a resolution to that fight.

I think that's why so many people found it all very stupid.

Tony Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #108
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,619
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gunk View Post
it doesn't work though does it?

he just says Martha. If he wanted sympathy or to warn him then in the heat of the moment he'd say MOM. He wouldn't be sitting there gasping for air thinking "Hmm maybe I'll say Martha, you never know his mother might be Martha too and I might bag some sympathy points". Saying Matha only makes sense if he knows full well it's Bruce's mothers name too, but that is NEVER established, and even if it was it's still a very sketchy reason to have a resolution to that fight.

I think that's why so many people found it all very stupid.
Superman is not looking for sympathy. He is being selfless. That is all. Just like at the very end when he took it upon himself to kill Doomsday, being selfless. He cares about others. In his dying moments he just wanted someone else to be saved. Not, "Ohhh I'll get into Batman's head now, I'll say the mother of his name because we have the same mother's name!". That's not who Superman is.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #109
Travesty
Side-Kick
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 22,241
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

He's saying that as his last wish. He thought Batman was going to kill him. He didn't do that to get Batman to stop fighting him, he did that, in hopes that after Batman killed him, he would still go after her and save her. Again, Batman doesn't know who Superman really is. For Superman to just say "mom" wouldn't make a difference to Batman. Hell, he was confused about his mother's name to begin with. If he knew, he wouldn't have been wondering why he was saying that name.

I feel like you're purposefully going out of your way to not make sense of the scene. You can just say you don't like it, but I don't understand what is so confusing about it? I'll admit, it's a little cheesy, but it worked for me.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #110
Rodrigo90
Wink wink ;)
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Your imagination
Posts: 26,990
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Are we arguing if Superman actually used the name of his mother to deliberately **** with Batman's head in order to save himself? Really?!

I'll tweet Zack and ask him about it.

__________________
“The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing”
Albert Einstein
Winner of the SHH Best Writer Award
Thank You!
UPDATED!!! My FanFic Page


~*SHH SIX*~
Batboy
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #111
Rodrigo90
Wink wink ;)
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Your imagination
Posts: 26,990
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

He said nothing, which indicates he won't gave that notion the time of day!

__________________
“The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing”
Albert Einstein
Winner of the SHH Best Writer Award
Thank You!
UPDATED!!! My FanFic Page


~*SHH SIX*~
Batboy
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #112
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 49,040
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegabat View Post
I don't get this line of thinking, do they want the fans and critics to hate it and don't go back to watch this movie and spend their time online or elsewhere nagging on their movie non stop? It's like a sales man showing up at your door only to insult your mother.
Secondly no one consider Snyder to be anything more than another Bay, his filmography and his statement has repeatedly shown that there is nothing thought provoking and intellectual about his film making. He made Batman kill because it's cool and that's all there is to it.
Exactly. When you see people say they did this to provoke a response, if the response is supposed to be criticism and hate, then they did a bang up job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogster View Post
Which begs the question.
Why would Superman agree to let Batman go and save his own mother when he could do it far quicker and efficiently?

Let alone, the fact that He was about to be murdered by this violent vigilante only moments ago.

This was a big WTF moment to me in a film of many.

The only reason it was written this way is so we can have the warehouse scene. Pfftt.
The whole thing was stupid and nonsensical. From Superman saying Martha (nobody calls their mother by their first name unless they have a very distant relationship with them), and why he thought Batman would even believe him that some woman named Martha was in danger. It could have been a tactic to stop Batman from killing him. And the stupidest part of all, how Superman having a mother suddenly stops him from being the potential threat Batman thought he was makes no sense. Oh I know the defense excuse is "he sees him as a human and not a god now". So what? He had a mother during the destruction fest fight in MOS. Why does him having a mother suddenly mean that might not happen again?

Stupidity all around. The scene does not work on any level. I mean really is it any wonder the whole Martha thing has become a big dig joke at this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTarkKnight View Post
Batman should not kill, period. No if, and's, or buts. I agree with many here, his no kill rule makes him my hero, even if this means that he has to go out into the night again to catch the same person.

Also, I wonder how Batman will have a relationship with Gordon and the police force if Batman is killing? He's just another murderer in this case. Plus, why go study martial arts, spying techniques, lock picking, chemistry, biology for years or work your ass off to become the embodiment of peak human physique and conditioning? Grab a gun and shoot the bad guys, problem solved!

There may be more to it in the next movie, but I hate having to try to explain to myself what the hell Batman is doing. One thing I can think of that may be a signal that he is turning back to his roots after the ending of BvS is that during the Suicide Squad filming I remember NOT seeing the turret gun in front of the Batmobile.

Otherwise, as a big Batman fan, although I'm very impressed with the Batsuit, Batman's fighting skills, and Batfleck's performance overall, the whole killing thing really was a huge turnoff for me. Even my wife who has nothing to do with comics turned to me during the movie and said "I thought Batman didn't kill?" and I sunk into my seat just a bit more because we both knew she was right and I had no explanation for her.
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
I don't understand why people are so upset about Batman killing in this. In Batman '89 he drops bombs from his Batmobile at the thugs in the chemical plant, he shoots missiles at the thugs on the parade floats....In Batman Returns, he straps a bomb to a thug and smirks. He lights another thug on fire with the Batmobile Yet people love that portrayal of Batman and there are quite a number of people that feel Keaton is the best Batman. This feels like a double standard to me.
Fans hated that in Keaton's movies every bit as much as in this one;







There's no double standard here. It's a bad Batman characterization and fans have always hated it.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-15-2016 at 11:47 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #113
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,062
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Superman is completely innocent in that entire fight. He thinks he's dying, he calls out for his mother to be saved. The problem on the part of Superman, is just in execution. The line just doesn't make sense because he would say mom, not Martha, in the heat of the moment. Supes doesn't have time to think, so it comes off stupid that he would say her name. He says "Martha" in the script ONLY so they can force the connection and do another flashback to Thomas saying Marthaaaa. This makes Bats look demented, which is the point, but i just don't like it.

The main problem i have with the whole thing is the Batman side of things and how that's written. It's the worst. Batman stops killing him why?? Im sure many criminals have people in their lives that they care about, yet they're still a danger to society. How does Batman know that Superman won't wipe out the human race and leave himself and mother standing? The whole concept is ridiculous. OHHHHH HE HAS A MOM HE CARES FOR! SO THAT MEANS SUPERMAN WONT DO EVIL TOWARDS THE PLANET ANYMORE! Zero logic. People defending this point don't seem to understand the complexity of human beings or life. Walter White loved his son, daughter...does that mean he won't do the SAME amount of damage to society or human life once a cop finds out about his illegal dealings? Look at any gangster, Tony Soprano cares about his mother and family but we won't kill him or bring him to justice because he has a heart for a few human beings!! Soooo stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
I don't understand why people are so upset about Batman killing in this. In Batman '89 he drops bombs from his Batmobile at the thugs in the chemical plant, he shoots missiles at the thugs on the parade floats....In Batman Returns, he straps a bomb to a thug and smirks. He lights another thug on fire with the Batmobile Yet people love that portrayal of Batman and there are quite a number of people that feel Keaton is the best Batman. This feels like a double standard to me.

Not to mention Christopher Reeve Superman kills a depowered Zod while smirking. Superman uses his super strength (as Clark) to beat up a bully in a diner. People love that portrayal of Superman. Yet Cavill Superman kills (with no other options) a raging Zod about to kill a family and destroys a man's truck and people are outraged. Double standard.
It was wrong then, and it's wrong now. The praise that Keaton gets is mainly to do with his performance in the suit, the way it's shot, the suit etc. If you're one of those people who accepts it in Keaton's, and doesn't with Affleck, then yes that's ridiculous. Same with Reeve, which was wrong back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTarkKnight View Post
Batman should not kill, period. No if, and's, or buts. I agree with many here, his no kill rule makes him my hero, even if this means that he has to go out into the night again to catch the same person.

Also, I wonder how Batman will have a relationship with Gordon and the police force if Batman is killing? He's just another murderer in this case. Plus, why go study martial arts, spying techniques, lock picking, chemistry, biology for years or work your ass off to become the embodiment of peak human physique and conditioning? Grab a gun and shoot the bad guys, problem solved!

There may be more to it in the next movie, but I hate having to try to explain to myself what the hell Batman is doing. One thing I can think of that may be a signal that he is turning back to his roots after the ending of BvS is that during the Suicide Squad filming I remember NOT seeing the turret gun in front of the Batmobile.

Otherwise, as a big Batman fan, although I'm very impressed with the Batsuit, Batman's fighting skills, and Batfleck's performance overall, the whole killing thing really was a huge turnoff for me. Even my wife who has nothing to do with comics turned to me during the movie and said "I thought Batman didn't kill?" and I sunk into my seat just a bit more because we both knew she was right and I had no explanation for her.
Good point. I assume Snyder will have Gordon act normal about Batman's killing. I bet Simmons nails it, but it's a more aggressive and ignorant version of the character who, like Alfred, doesn't really mind that Batman kills people to get the job done. I'm also sure there will be a cold relationship between Gordon and Batman. It's not a deal breaker for me but i prefer a closer relationship between the two characters, and i want to feel some history there, instead of "You do what you gotta do Bats, ill do my job, stay out of each others way".

You could be right about Suicide Squad, but the batmobile scenes could be flashbacks. He still went to Luthor's cell ready to brand him with a big old punch to the face, after he said those nice words at the funeral. So anything is possible. Is he changing completely? Or did he just decide to not kill Lex in that moment? We'll see where Terrio/Snyder take it. Hopefully the right direction. If the Knightmare sequence happens, then it looks like Batman is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
@nogster

It's a movie based on comicbook characters, all real life logic fails. It's just like Black Widow or Hawkeye fighting alongside Hulk and Thor.
It makes little sense in real life, but because it's a comicbook movie it can get a pass. Don't take everything that happens in these movies that seriously, it's not like your watching a Daniella Steele movie or some real life documentary.
Yet MOS tries to shove it down our throats that it's a real world that's been invaded by aliens in the same way that it could happen tomorrow morning. Once you have aliens, gods, metahumans, magic, you should be able to let go of that "real world" stuff. But this entire movie tries to be very serious, and shows the politics of our world, so it looks like they were still trying to convince us that it's really serious and realistic. I dont have a problem with it. But defenders like to be choosy with how they make their defense. If somebody doesn't like it and picks it apart, it's "Throw real world logic out the window man!". If we don't like because it's not fun and takes itself too seriously trying to be realistic, it's "Not sure you understand the consequences here in this real world rules and logic!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Probably based on...?

As has been discussed many times already, the purpose of Alfred's "that's how it starts..." scolding is Bruce has just recently started getting rougher. Referring to the brand new instance of branding.

Torture is further down the ladder of punishment than the finality of murder. If Bruce was already killing at that point, it makes no logical sense for Alfred to start getting worried and talking down on Bruce. That's like a cop slapping your wrist for carrying marijuana when you're a convicted drug trafficker.
Branding is a new thing. He starts off by throwing down the newspaper and nonchalantly says "New rules?". Like it's no problem. Bruce says we've always been criminals Alfred, nothings changed. I took that as he's been brutal and probably killing for ages and branding somebody isn't that much of a difference. Which it isn't. Alfred begins to talk about how everythings changed. He starts talking about Superman's presence, but he could be talking about Bruce becoming cruel. I take it as Bruce started killing YEARS ago. Possibly a few years, 5 years or 10 years. We don't know, but if Robin died 10 years ago, that would trigger such a change, not Supermans appearance. It wouldn't make any sense for the Metropolis incident to put him over the edge and not Joker killing Robin. If anything, Supermans presence has made him brand criminals. That's it.

If you want to judge the film as it is, without comic book history/knowledge, then there's no proof that Bruce had moments in his career where he wasn't killing. Like Keaton. No proof that Robin is dead. Alfred never scolds him for killing, so it's probably been ages since he wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
It would be fun seeing KGBeast return (heavily disfigured) to take revenge on Batman in Bat's first DCU movie. Afterall in movies everything can happen. I'm just glad they didn't went A-Team on us when Batman blew up a few cars and you see everyone crawling out.

Batman was dealing with some pretty high stakes saving Martha. It's either his only leverage he has on Superman ever again. Or if she did die, he was worried Superman would go Darkseid on us and kill off half the planet.
No thanks, the actor was terrible. They have way too many great options. They won't waste it on such a small character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
That was also something I wondered, in the end they just made this decision. I'm not sure but maybe Superman had no way to locate her, Alfred had already the drop on their hidingplace.

Anyway it's no worse than Nolan's decision to make Joker just dissapear after Batman jumped after Rachel. THAT was something that bugs the hell out me even today.
How is that even a comparison? Joker probably just left because he figured Dent wasn't there and he already caused damage with Rachel + getting under Batman's skin. So they left, on to the next thing. It's logical and people make a big deal out of it. Then there's Superman who could save his Martha quicker than batman ever could (there's a timer and a torch waiting for her for Christ's sakes, time is of the essence). Superman lets this psycho Bat do it because he says he promises?? It's ridiculous. It's there so we can have a scene where Batman saves Martha at a warehouse so Zack can show off the new fight choreography he's got planned for the character.

__________________
"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc

Last edited by shauner111; 04-15-2016 at 12:02 PM.
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #114
DeadStroke
Side-Kick
 
DeadStroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,712
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39


DeadStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #115
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,425
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

I didn't mind the acting on KGBeast. He just didn't have much to do.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #116
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,619
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
There's no double standard here. It's a bad Batman characterization and fans have always hated it.
I honestly don't see how Batman could survive 20+ years going up against helicopter guns and bazookas etc... with there never being any casualties. I didn't have a problem with it in the Keaton movies nor do I here. I just don't think Batman could survive without having to resort to certain measures based on the circumstance. I might be in the minority with this though.

This may have been addressed for the character though considering in Suicide Squad the Batmobile has no gun attached to it. And from what I understand, SS comes after BvS. Perhaps, "the fever, rage that turns good men cruel" drove him to these measures and he has since abandoned them after the events of BvS. We shall see.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #117
regwec
Make Mine Marble
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Perfidious Albion
Posts: 28,492
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

If you accept the premise of "Batman versus Superman", that a team-up/buddy movie is intended to follow, and that both main characters are to have some kind of plausible motivation, then you have to have one of them acting out of character and/or one wrongly assessing the character of the other, because there must be a reason for the mutual antagonism that has subsided by the end of the movie.

If BvS featured a clean-cut, morally-spotless Batman using reasonable and measured force in order to assist the GCPD in curtailing crime, why would Superman object? And if he did object why, without resorting to hypocrisy, would Superman change his mind in order to buddy-up with Batman in the future? It is neat to have Batman misjudge Superman and to amend his objectionable methods as a consquence. I am not enthusiastic about Batman killing, but the story that BvS tells in a nutshell is one whereby an embittered and paranoid Batman is steered on to a brighter path by the the selflessness and sacrifice of Superman. I cannot really fault that as a premise, and it is one I predicted for this movie years ago.

__________________
"Myth and high culture have much in common. Each is concerned to idealise the human condition, to lift it free from contingencies". - Sir Roger Scruton
Love Freedom?
PENCE 2018
regwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #118
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,062
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
This may have been addressed for the character though considering in Suicide Squad the Batmobile has no gun attached to it. And from what I understand, SS comes after BvS. Perhaps, "the fever, rage that turns good men cruel" drove him to these measures and he has since abandoned them after the events of BvS. We shall see.
Yes, but they could be flashbacks to when Harley became demented with the Joker, before she was locked up. It could be that Batman doesn't really know Harley, or only knows of her as Dr. Quinzel, saves her life but throws her in prison/arkham for just committing crimes with Joker.

__________________
"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #119
stargazer
wanderer
 
stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Superman using the name Martha illustrates to Batman that in Superman's dying breath his only concern was saving a human being (Martha obviously being a human name). Completely going against Batman's fear of, "he has the power to wipe out the human race..." Batman got a window into Superman's soul(what better time than when one is about to die) and Superman's only care was saving the life of a human being. It just so happens to be that Martha was his mother's name as well which woke Batman up from the monster he had become, which ironically Batman was created to protect others from monsters just like that.
Exactly. Great post.

__________________
I rather watch Sci-Fi
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #120
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,619
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Yes, but they could be flashbacks to when Harley became demented with the Joker, before she was locked up. It could be that Batman doesn't really know Harley, or only knows of her as Dr. Quinzel, saves her life but throws her in prison/arkham for just committing crimes with Joker.
If they are flashbacks it would prove that this Batman was more contained before the arrival of Superman which set him off edge. Which also means he could presumably return to that state after the events of BvS.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #121
stargazer
wanderer
 
stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

[QUOTE=antoineflemming;33459521]I liked Bruce Wayne and Batman in this. And a whole lot of other people did as well.[/and andQUOTE]

Fave Batman by far. I loved his story arc and what a formidable fighter and detective he can be.

__________________
I rather watch Sci-Fi
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #122
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,062
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

He can't wipe out the human race anymore because he has love for another human? This thread has much better humor than the last two movies combined. I'm actually thankful that these movies are so poorly written. THIS is my reward at least. Bats makes him a promise and doesn't kill him for those dumb reasons, and Supes lets Psycho-Bat save his mother even though there's a ticking clock and flamethrower waiting for her and Bats gives him ZERO reason to believe he'll actually save her.

I'd rather watch Batman Forever on loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Fave Batman by far. I loved his story arc and what a formidable fighter and detective he can be.
He's the worst detective so far at least, in the history of Batman on film. I don't remember the details of Batman and Robin, so i assume he's only better than Clooney.

__________________
"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc

Last edited by shauner111; 04-15-2016 at 01:36 PM.
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #123
Jekecy
Side-Kick
 
Jekecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Branding is a new thing. He starts off by throwing down the newspaper and nonchalantly says "New rules?". Like it's no problem. Bruce says we've always been criminals Alfred, nothings changed. I took that as he's been brutal and probably killing for ages and branding somebody isn't that much of a difference. Which it isn't. Alfred begins to talk about how everythings changed. He starts talking about Superman's presence, but he could be talking about Bruce becoming cruel. I take it as Bruce started killing YEARS ago. Possibly a few years, 5 years or 10 years.
I can sorta see your angle here, it’s just I can’t see how either Bruce or Alfred would see branding as being more of an extreme act than outright manslaughter/murder. If Bruce had been murdering all those years, branding is a dumb way of showing Bruce’s moral decline. It’s utterly backwards.

And it completely takes away the impact of Bruce’s last line of “there are still good men left”, followed by his intentional NON-branding of Lex when he had every opportunity to do so.

Quote:
We don’t know, but if Robin died 10 years ago, that would trigger such a change, not Supermans appearance. It wouldn’t make any sense for the Metropolis incident to put him over the edge and not Joker killing Robin. If anything, Supermans presence has made him brand criminals. That’s it.
That’s completely subjective. I would argue the arrival of gods completely alters and warps your personal worldview in a much more extreme fashion than the loss of your friend. I can only imagine how small you feel in the wider scope. As Snyder said, it’s an existential crisis. Robin’s death is pivotal, but it’s not an unexpected result given their dangerous line of work. The true question is whether it’s a logical progression for the character (known for paranoia) to experience a jarring personality shift in the face of an unprecedented world event. Robin’s murder is damaging to be sure, as we’ve seen in the comics. But the books have already shown Batman can still get back up from it. What the lore hasn’t delved into much is how Bruce reacts to a circumstance where his very existence is challenged to be null and/or frivolous.

Quote:
If you want to judge the film as it is, without comic book history/knowledge, then there’s no proof that Bruce had moments in his career where he wasn’t killing. Like Keaton. No proof that Robin is dead.
It was never explicit, but I do think the “no kill era” was very much hinted at with Bruce’s initial monologue during the intro;

“There was a time above… a time before… there were perfect things… diamond absolutes.”

Quote:
Alfred never scolds him for killing, so it’s probably been ages since he wasn’t.
Honestly I think this was just sloppy handling by Snyder and Terrio. It’s the same sort of writing blind spot in which Alfred was completely absent during the Batman/Superman fight, but popped right up again conveniently when Martha needs to be tracked.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #124
stargazer
wanderer
 
stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
If they are flashbacks it would prove that this Batman was more contained before the arrival of Superman which set him off edge. Which also means he could presumably return to that state after the events of BvS.
Yeah that's what I understood as well. He and Lex were presented with a being so powerful they feared him because they didn't know him.

__________________
I rather watch Sci-Fi
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #125
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,619
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
He's the worst detective so far at least, in the history of Batman on film. I don't remember the details of Batman and Robin, so i assume he's only better than Clooney.
Perhaps Clooney Batman is the best Batman because he never killed anyone

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.