The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #126
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Default Re: Cavill and Snyder appearing at comic con!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Goyer's the only one that needs a leash. All MOS' problems stem from the script. Everything Snyder visually translated from that looked phenomenal.
Goyer's writing wasn't good but Snyder is the one mostly to blame. There's more to shooting a movie than making sure everything "looks" good.

And for the record... most of it didn't look good.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #127
king666
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Goyer's writing wasn't good but Snyder is the one mostly to blame. There's more to shooting a movie than making sure everything "looks" good.

It looked good, imo. But whatever. If the script sucked, it was Snyder's job to fix it.

king666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #128
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post
It looked good, imo. But whatever. If the script sucked, it was Snyder's job to fix it.
See here's the thing. Did the script suck? Yea, but there was a good story waiting to be told. If you took the outline of the story and put it in the hands of a better writer... that would have been ideal.

And then of course, you handed that screenplay to a different director.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #129
TheBat812
Side-Kick

The script structure and story was great, although the dialog certainly suffered from textbook goyer lack of subtlety. Likewise, Snyder struggles with the subtlety that made BB such a success under the knowing hand of Nolan. Hopefully both Goyer and Snyder improve on this in the next film, because there certainly is a lot of potential. They share the blame pretty equally. It's unfortunate that Nolan has said he will have a less active role in the sequel though.

I still really enjoyed and appreciate the film, but there was definitely some wasted potential there. Still probably my favorite superman film, so can't really complain too much.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #130
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

The script sucked? Come on guys really? I'm not saying the script was a good as something like The Departed but as far as CBM scripts go, MOS was above average IMO.

Superherofan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #131
Tempest
....What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superherofan123 View Post
The script sucked? Come on guys really? I'm not saying the script was a good as something like The Departed but as far as CBM scripts go, MOS was above average IMO.
Yeah, I don't get it either. In every film there are a few awkward moments of dialogue. I did notice two rough patches in MOS, but I feel it had more to do with editing than the script, where I suspect dialogue was cut.

But I guess the script just sucks to people if we didn't have bumbling Clark Kent being trashed by his competitor Lois Lane, Superman flying around and smiling a lot while he saves kittens from trees and stops people from littering.

Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #132
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superherofan123 View Post
totally agreed... This script is awesome compared to TDKT... but according to some people if doesn't have 70% of comedy is not good... IMAO...

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #133
blumatic
Side-Kick

My friends this a definition of a bad film:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/musketeer/

This is definitively the worst movie I have ever seen. The trailers looked cool. I was excited to see it. It looked like a reinvention of the Musketeers.

But this movie was terribly predictable word for word. The action was predictable. The way the villain loses was ridiculous. I never wanted to leave a movie in the middle of it. I did stay to see if things turned around but it got worse.

For those who hate MOS, please watch Musketeer. It is hilariously bad. That is bad script, writing, editing, whatever. That is a bad film.

I get that MOS wasnt a master piece but MOS did not suck. I baffles me that Iron Man 3 gets more love.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #134
king666
Side-Kick

I don't think it was bad, I just think it could've been much, much better.

"More character development + less action" would've fixed the 3rd act. Less "stuff" (the codex) would've been better too. And I would've loved to see young Clark having fun with his powers. Basically, more levity/fun, less bs.

But that's my opinion. I really don't want to offend anyone.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #135
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post
I don't think it was bad, I just think it could've been much, much better.

"More character development + less action" would've fixed the 3rd act. Less "stuff" (the codex) would've been better too. And I would've loved to see young Clark having fun with his powers. Basically, more levity/fun, less bs.

But that's my opinion. I really don't want to offend anyone.
I can get behind this. I think they focused so much on the difficulty of Superman. They didnt put in the fun. The movie had heart definitely. But there wasnt enough levity.

What be nice for a sequel if Clark complained to his mom about how the media is portraying Superman as wreckless. And have his mom agreeing with the media and by further saying that he was always wreckless and never knew how to control his strength. Then have flashback of toddler Clark getting too excited playing with Jonathan and have Pa Kent being thrown into a wall. Thats funny.

But to say the movie sucks is just wrong. I think IM3 is the other side of the coin of MOS, waaaaaaaaaayy to many jokes. Not one point could I take the film seriously and when it finally came time too they blew it up. But I dont think IM3 sucked. But Im shocked at the love its getting.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #136
MANOFSTEELtrilogy
Side-Kick

Quote:

MOS is certainly the best-looking superhero film I've ever seen. And I've seen them all (but was very hard to watch Iron Man 3 so didn't quite finish it). Snyder enhanced his reputation as 'the master of violence'. MOS had the greatest action of all-time, and that's why it broke the reboot record. And the June record.

Last edited by MANOFSTEELtrilogy; 07-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.
MANOFSTEELtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #137
king666
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOFSTEELtrilogy View Post
MOS is certainly the best-looking superhero film I've ever seen.
Agreed.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #138
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOFSTEELtrilogy View Post
MOS is certainly the best-looking superhero film I've ever seen. And I've seen them all (but was very hard to watch Iron Man 3 so didn't quite finish it). Snyder enhanced his reputation as 'the master of violence'. MOS had the greatest action of all-time, and that's why it broke the reboot record. And the June record.
How can you chalk up the opening weekend to the action when no one had seen the movie yet?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #139
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
How can you chalk up the opening weekend to the action when no one had seen the movie yet?
Trailers?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #140
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
Trailers?
So you had come to the conclusion that MOS contained the greatest action ever put to film based purely on random images and shots cut together in the form of a trailer? Several weeks before you had even seen the movie?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #141
KillerMcQueen
Mere Mortal

wasn't this thread supposed to have something to do with comic-con?

KillerMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #142
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you had come to the conclusion that MOS contained the greatest action ever put to film based purely on random images and shots cut together in the form of a trailer? Several weeks before you had even seen the movie?
No. But damn it was some bad ass trailers. Best Ive ever seen.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #143
The Sage
The World's Finest

I'd aim for Christmas 2015 for a release. Summer is pretty stacked.

Taking it back to Comic Con...looking forward to hearing from that panel. I'm sure there will be some asking questions about the film also. All I really want are announcement dates for MOS 2 and another DC related film. Then I'd be happy.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #144
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I'd aim for Christmas 2015 for a release. Summer is pretty stacked.

Taking it back to Comic Con...looking forward to hearing from that panel. I'm sure there will be some asking questions about the film also. All I really want are announcement dates for MOS 2 and another DC related film. Then I'd be happy.
I don't know; is it just me or do superhero movies just feel like they need to be "summer" films? Maybe a Christmas release could work though.

I'm hoping they do announce a sequel. It doesn't really even have to be specific. Just say, "Yes, we're definitely doing it" to shut the haters up, lol.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #145
The Sage
The World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I don't know; is it just me or do superhero movies just feel like they need to be "summer" films? Maybe a Christmas release could work though.

I'm hoping they do announce a sequel. It doesn't really even have to be specific. Just say, "Yes, we're definitely doing it" to shut the haters up, lol.
LOL.

I'd like to see a change up. Man of Steel was originally meant for Christmas 2012. MOS 2 could go back to filling that slate. Either Christmas 2015 or Summer 2016.

Almost forgot...I'd like for Snyder to announce there will be an extended cut of the film with the home release.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #146
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Yeah, I'd really like to see some extended or deleted scenes. Didn't they say they cut like a half hour of material?

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #147
Serpico Jones
Banned User

Quote:

Are you serious? Zack Snyder may have some story problems but he is an amazing visual filmmaker.

Serpico Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #148
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
Are you serious? Zack Snyder may have some story problems but he is an amazing visual filmmaker.
I agree. He definitely is.

Just not here.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #149
The Sage
The World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I'd really like to see some extended or deleted scenes. Didn't they say they cut like a half hour of material?
Yep. I'd love see at least 15 minutes of it inserted into the film to give some character scenes additional length.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #150
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Yep. I'd love see at least 15 minutes of it inserted into the film to give some character scenes additional length.
Indeed and I hope that it'd be more significant than the last attempt in releasing an extended cut of a DC film: Green Lantern, where all they did was just put the scenes that were shown via flashback through Hal's mind regarding his dad at the beginning of the film and that's it.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote