The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Gotham

Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #726
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Default Re: The Official Gotham News and discussion thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
The thing is this is TV and in TV and movies perception is reality, you need to sell the believeability of someone kicking ass, whether it's with how they look or how convincingly they move in the stunt fights. You could legitimately be the baddest guy on the planet but if you can't sell it then it wont work in a ficitonal environment.
Exactly! That's why I don't understand the thought process of putting baby Batman on screen.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #727
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

If the concept didn't work or was as moronic as some of you guys are making it out to be, obviously Gotham wouldn't have gotten a fourth season, yet here we are. We haven't even seen a lick of future episodes with Proto-Batsy, so at least wait until then to actually give out legitimate criticisms other than how the suit looks like.

You have won many victories, rekindling hope in the hearts of those you have protected. Each sends their blessing. Each blessing, a stone to fortify this land. Your castle is strong, my son. Your allies are many. Wield what lies within, and reclaim what is yours. Break the siege of darkness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Their primal need to argue outweighs their ability to acknowledge that they're actually agreeing with each other
SkullDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #728
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
Honestly, it's just that the picture is so ridiculous. The actor is so tiny that to imagine him striking any sort of fear into anyone is laughable, and how he could be effective at his size is, again, just a problem. If he was a bit older and a bit more physically developed, it wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous. IDK...if he's just out there like overcoming his fear of heights or something, or possibly he's learning how to traverse the city in a Batman type fashion, that's one thing. If he physically fights anyone with any kind of size difference and whips their ass? That's too much...I'm aware that smaller people whip the piss out of larger people all the time, but he's a child...and obviously so. That's my only real issue with it.
But on this show, he's been training and learning to fight since Season 1. So 4 years of training, and these older villains are probably underestimating "the kid" the same way you are. Those 2 things make bigger baddies ripe to get said butt whipping.

WereCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #729
Kathemy
It could happen to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Well I don't know where you are from, but looking it up, David Mazouz was born in the great state of California, in the United States of a America. Which means he still needs to ask his parents permission before he makes play dates. More importantly, he looks it. Looks, big part of theatricality and deception.

Also, not sure why you needed to tell us you were so bad at boxing...
I live in Sweden. In Sweden, by sixteen you are not officially a "minor" anymore. The age of consent and the age where you can be tried and convicted of a crime is 15. Furthermore I've always found it very belittling to address an older teenager as a "child." You are yourself guilty of that same attitude - making snide remarks about David "needing permission to make play dates" is incredibly condescending.

As for the bolded trollish part the reason should be fairly self-evident. As I have martial arts experience it does not break my suspension of disbelief to watch a teenager beat up an adult. I've seen many teenagers easily handle grown men. In addition, it baffles me how someone can complain about Gotham in this regard and still be okay with, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Now immediately someone will counter with "but... but... she has superpowers!" Yes, and Bruce Wayne is preternaturally gifted. You can always make excuses, but as you said, the visuals matter regardless.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #730
terry78
Will you shut up?!

I don't feel it's as implausible as some think considering Batman's size never played a role in his effectiveness. He's versed in the art of battle from the League of Assassins and can cripple or kill people with hitting just the right nerve or whatever.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #731
kguillou
Side-Kick

I havent posted on here for a long time but I just wanna say im down for young proto Batman. A poster on the previous page said it best: this is not some semi canonical prequel to Batman, this is an elseworld "what if?" alternate story about Bruce Wayne, Gordon and Batman's world. You have to just go with it otherwise you'll constantly be poking holes in things.

That said, I understand the concerns some have with Bruce fighting crime so early. BUT, did Peter Parker not start young? Did Dick Grayson or Tim Drake not start young? Provided that they sell us on the fact that Bruce is training himself rigorously I think this can work.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #732
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Th Eek Re: The Official Gotham News and discussion thread - Part 4

Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #733
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathemy View Post
I live in Sweden. In Sweden, by sixteen you are not officially a "minor" anymore. The age of consent and the age where you can be tried and convicted of a crime is 15. Furthermore I've always found it very belittling to address an older teenager as a "child." You are yourself guilty of that same attitude - making snide remarks about David "needing permission to make play dates" is incredibly condescending.

As for the bolded trollish part the reason should be fairly self-evident. As I have martial arts experience it does not break my suspension of disbelief to watch a teenager beat up an adult. I've seen many teenagers easily handle grown men. In addition, it baffles me how someone can complain about Gotham in this regard and still be okay with, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Now immediately someone will counter with "but... but... she has superpowers!" Yes, and Bruce Wayne is preternaturally gifted. You can always make excuses, but as you said, the visuals matter regardless.
Uh, looking it up, the age of majority in Sweden is 18. Like the vast majority of the world and the USA. So yes, child.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority

http://www.protection-of-minors.eu/en/SE_overview.php
Quote:
A person is regarded as a child until the age of 18. There are some specific regulations on youth persons in certain laws. The age limit of who is a young person varies in different laws.
Beyond being a child, what matters is he also looks like one. And the only reason that is a problem is because they are trying to treat him like he is the world's greatest ninja. He doesn't look like LeBron James did in high school. I doubt he is going to be pulling a Canelo Alvarez winning boxing matches with 30 year olds as a kid.

You bring up the fighting ability of teens and then neglect the fact that those who are world class fighters in their age groups, look it. Wrestling, MMA, boxing, kick boxing, Mauy Thai, sambo, etc. They are in rather ridiculously good shape. They know how to move, how to fight and look like it. Bringing up Buffy, which just celebrated its 20 anniversary, is a totally different prospect. Beyond her having super powers, it is from a different era of television. We do not grade the action of Batfleck based on Adam West. We live in the world of Blind Batman being on Netflix, and looking rather fantastic in combat. Do you think Bale and Affleck got in that shape for no reason? Even on the CW shows, a lot of the heroes are in ridiculously good shape, and even when the action is blah, they are good at selling it. This kid in the really bad costume isn't selling it.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #734
Kathemy
It could happen to you

Quote:
Uh, looking it up, the age of majority in Sweden is 18. Like the vast majority of the world and the USA. So yes, child.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority

http://www.protection-of-minors.eu/en/SE_overview.php
Are you honestly trying to "out-wiki" a person about the customs of his home country?

The short answer is nobody in Sweden would refer to a sixteen-year-old as a "child" except as an insult. There are significant legal and social differences about the views on children and childhood between Sweden and the United States. If you want the detailed answer just ask, though it would go wildly off-topic.

I'd also like to pose the question to the thread; is there anyone else that finds Darth's language wildly condescending, or is it just me from my culturally damaged background?

As for the rest, I don't need to use Sarah Michelle Geller. What odds would you give me on David Mazouz versus Willa Holland in a fist fight?

From what I can gather you'd be okay with David if he just got more into shape? Because he's on it. Not that he'll ever become the bodybuilder type, but that's no prerequisite for a Batman or a Robin.

But the bottom line, I've met young people who did not look like the Hulk and could fight remarkably well. I also thought Bruce versus Jerome in 'The Gentle Art of Making Enemies' was a good fight scene which didn't require me to suspend my disbelief.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #735
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Are you honestly trying to "out-wiki" a person about the customs of his home country?

The short answer is nobody in Sweden would refer to a sixteen-year-old as a "child" except as an insult. There are significant legal and social differences about the views on children and childhood between Sweden and the United States. If you want the detailed answer just ask, though it would go wildly off-topic.

I'd also like to pose the question to the thread; is there anyone else that finds Darth's language wildly condescending, or is it just me from my culturally damaged background?

As for the rest, I don't need to use Sarah Michelle Geller. What odds would you give me on David Mazouz versus Willa Holland in a fist fight?

From what I can gather you'd be okay with David if he just got more into shape? Because he's on it. Not that he'll ever become the bodybuilder type, but that's no prerequisite for a Batman or a Robin.

But the bottom line, I've met young people who did not look like the Hulk and could fight remarkably well. I also thought Bruce versus Jerome in 'The Gentle Art of Making Enemies' was a good fight scene which didn't require me to suspend my disbelief.
I do find it bizarre that you don't know what the age of majority is in your country and are trying to apply your logic to something not only based in America, but an American character.

Willa Holland, especially with a sword. But it is fantastic that you went to the smallest human being in the CW shows. There really is something telling about that being your go to argument to defend how Bruce Wayne should appear in the crime fighting stakes. What about Ollie? You know, green Batman?

There is a big difference between looking like the Hulk and looking like you can fight. Casting Mazouz was done under the idea we wouldn't have to see him as Batman. This was suppose to be a pre-wandering the Earth Bruce Wayne. Before he learned how to ninja every situation. Before he got into ridiculous shape. So him being very child like, very young, was never a problem. But now they have just decided to turn him into proto-Batman, and that comes with expectations.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #736
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

This is a very strange argument, for starters no one has commented on the awesone new trailer, what they are doing with Scarecrow looks amazing IMO and the production values in general look like they've gone up a notch, but at the end of the day I see no argument with what Darth is saying, Mazouz looks like a kid and doesn't look like he could punch his way out of a wet paper bag, he looks less convincing than little Camren as she at least moves like she can fight, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and go on the journey.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #737
terry78
Will you shut up?!

We devolve into Reddit whenever something big happens, you know this.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #738
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Old 09-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #739
Kathemy
It could happen to you

Quote:
I do find it bizarre that you don't know what the age of majority is in your country and are trying to apply your logic to something not only based in America, but an American character.
Alright, this is starting to get absurd. Let's have at it.

The age of majority as in the age you can vote in Sweden is 18. So is the age when you can be served alcohol in bars and, incidentally, the age where you are allowed to work night shifts.

The Swedish legal definition of a "child" is a person below 15. Crimes "against a child" are committed against people under 15. The criminal responsibility age is 15. The age of consent is 15. And the age where you can enter legally binding contracts is 16. This is also the age where you are allowed to dispose of your own income and property the way you see fit. The labor law distinguishes between younger child (-13), older child (14-15) and "youth" (meaning from the year you turn sixteen.)

The reasons above is why the term "minderårig" (literally "minor") wasn't historically applied to people above 15. Nowadays this term is obsolete and has been clumped with "underårig" (meaning "below age") to refer to people under 18. In other words, the term "minor" isn't even used. The common word is "omyndig". The best translation of this word is "not of legal age" as in "not able to vote."

As for the rest: I agree turning Bruce into a vigilante comes with expectations. I will see how well the show can fulfill those. I can't judge that from a mediocre suit in a trailer. I'd say it's not even primarily dependant on the visuals.

Last edited by Kathemy; 09-19-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Not under, above
Kathemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #740
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

new trailer looks great.notice even selina is moving into a proto outfit.

also remember this will be first time since season 1 when seaosn begins gordon is on the force as a detective lol

Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #741
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Alright, this is starting to get absurd. Let's have at it.

The age of majority as in the age you can vote in Sweden is 18. So is the age when you can be served alcohol in bars and, incidentally, the age where you are allowed to work night shifts.

The Swedish legal definition of a "child" is a person below 15. Crimes "against a child" are committed against people under 15. The criminal responsibility age is 15. The age of consent is 15. And the age where you can enter legally binding contracts is 16. This is also the age where you are allowed to dispose of your own income and property the way you see fit. The labor law distinguishes between younger child (-13), older child (14-15) and "youth" (meaning from the year you turn sixteen.)

The reasons above is why the term "minderårig" (literally "minor") wasn't historically applied to people under 16. Nowadays this term is obsolete and has been clumped with "underårig" (meaning "below age") to refer to people under 18. In other words, the term "minor" isn't even used. The common word is "omyndig". The best translation of this word is "not of legal age" as in "not able to vote."

As for the rest: I agree turning Bruce into a vigilante comes with expectations. I will see how well the show can fulfill those. I can't judge that from a mediocre suit in a trailer. I'd say it's not even primarily dependant on the visuals.
he is 16.gotham which has always been the batman equilvent of smallville is movine into gotham's equilvent of the blur.they just got there quicker.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #742
Charlatan
Side-Kick

For those interested Gotham's Poison Ivy actress Maggie Geha just did a FB live Q&A that was totally hot.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #743
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5a&oe=59C1DD57

Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #744
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

So badass!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #745
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
So badass!
Wow. Scarecrow actually looks...great.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #746
Kathemy
It could happen to you

Quote:
It's a really good design.

I thought this trailer (the "Black Band" one) wasn't in the same league as the "Red Band" one (about the Jerome arc.) It was a lot more fractured and poorly cut, and I imagine it'd be confusing for someone who isn't a fan. Of course the Red Band was held together by being focused only on two people.

That said the more we see Bruce "in action" in the suit the better I think it looks. The choreography, cinematography and cutting has always been a strong suit of Gotham. The suit itself, in the "still pictures", doesn't exactly wow me, and I wish they'll go with the choice of him wearing a coat over it.

And Camren just looks so fantastic. Not sold on that particular domino mask, though.

I have my doubts about the story arc of this season but if nothing else it looks fun.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #747
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Crane looks pretty good. Hopefully the actual Scarecrow manages to make a solid first impression like the show did with Mad Hatter, because I thought the Crane two-parter from Season 1 was quite good.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #748
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
He looks like a cool mix of the Nolan version and the recent Arkham game version, hulking and menacing.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #749
Wheels
Lethal Leap Year attendee
SHH! Global Moderator

Damn it.....I think I'm going to try watching this again.

I’ll go out and I’ll find some more of that Mulan Szechuan teriyaki dipping sauce, Morty. Because that’s what this is all about, Morty. That’s my one-armed-man. I’m not driven by avenging my dead family, Morty. That was fake! I’m driven by finding that McNugget sauce. I want that McNugget sauce, Morty. That’s my series arc. If it takes nine seasons, I want my McNugget dipping sauce — Szechuan sauce, Morty.
-- Rick Sanchez
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #750
Pennywise
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

Scarecrow looks awesome! Love the costume and how he also has a scythe!! Hope he's the main antagonist for at least the first half of the season!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote