The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #301
Superman_200
Superman

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - Part 14

I don't think the trunks make or break the suit. In fact, I just saw Watchmen and I'd be hard pressed to be able to draw or remember exactly what the Night Owl's costume looked like. I don't know if he had trunks or not. I think the same will happen with Superman. There is too much going on with the new actor, the background, the giant cape, and the big "S" to where I think it will be really noticeable if he is wearing the trunks or not. I don't remember what kind of boots for example King Leonidas was wearing in 300 or about the color of the trunks or cape attachment. I'd really have to go back and look.

For comic book fans, yes they will notice the trunks, but in general I think that is a minor detail, like the curl in the hair. Most people will not look that closely at an actor in an action movie to notice exactly the way the hair is done. In Snyder's case, he certainly catches every detail, but again, most people will not notice these kinds of details. I think, if it is a detail that could slip past the audience, it is definitely not something that should be a big deal to the comic fans either whether they notice the detail or not. I don't think a character becomes modern because of the trunks or not. He becomes modern by the story. If the story is relevant or engaging, the trunks or lack-there-of will really not be even noticed after the first 5 minutes of seeing Superman in costume. The details of the costume just get lost in the action in the mind of the general audience and the comic book fans as well.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #302
Super Kal
Proud Conservative

anyone have a strange idea that this... could, might, possibly... be the suit-in-a-can idea?

not saying it is, but there's a chance... i mean, hey, Snyder took elements from FlyBy... you never know...

Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #303
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
While I feel it would be more of an achievement for the design team to have made a version of the classic that audiences love, you have to remember:

Burton wasn't a fan of Batman and he made a black rubber suit, which was so good they still use it today.
I think Burton's Batman costume and all the live action Batman costumes have completely sucked.

Quote:
And Zack Snyder is just as much a comic geek as we are, no other director would have made Watchmen and 300. So it's not like he is as radical as Burton, who is just terrible. Many of the modern Superman creators feel he needs to make the leap into the 21st century and ditch the underoos, evidently Zack is one of them.
Those are both comics by deconstructionist writers, however. And Miller in particular hates Superman with a passion and Snyder expressed an interest in filming his Dark Knight Returns before, and that series is filled with hatred of Superman.

Quote:
And also, how would the underoos work within the context of this film, in which, there are no superheroes and the Kents wouldn't have grown up in the late 1800's to mid 1950's to give him the design?
Inspired from seeing images of Kryptonians like in Birthright.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 08-22-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #304
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
anyone have a strange idea that this... could, might, possibly... be the suit-in-a-can idea?

not saying it is, but there's a chance... i mean, hey, Snyder took elements from FlyBy... you never know...
actually......if you want to give Superman's belt a real purpose, make it a "suit-in-a-belt."

but then you wouldn't get the cool, iconic shirt rip.......

Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #305
\S/JcDc\S/
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
actually......if you want to give Superman's belt a real purpose, make it a "suit-in-a-belt."

but then you wouldn't get the cool, iconic shirt rip.......

A while back I had an idea for a suit in a belt. When he does the shirt rip you can see it finishing it's growth as it forms up his chest, seeing the \S/ and material completes its forming.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #306
\S/JcDc\S/
Banned User

You could so some shirt rips showing the costume form, thereafter you can do a regular shirt rip already formed since we know how the Kryptonian Tech works now.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #307
tomk
Side-Kick

Oh god I hope not.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #308
\S/JcDc\S/
Banned User

Here is one of my old posts on the idea. From the "What you like least about Superman costume" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
An explanation for the scaly look. I talked in another thread how the costume underneath could be of Kryptonian tech, expanding an almost synthetic skin type effect. As he is "operating" it, the suit appears to grow into form on his body. This type of texture would work out well for that type of effect. I still like the idea of one shirt rip scene showing the suit form on his chest as the \S/ emblem expands. Perhaps it all expands from the belt or something. That might be a little to sci fi for them to try, but I would dig it anyways.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #309
\S/JcDc\S/
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
Oh god I hope not.
It was for those demanding to know how he could hide a full suit under reporter clothes. Most say no explanation needed, but for those who want one it was the best I could come up with.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #310
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHESENTRY View Post
Suit looks interesting so far, I wish we could see all of it. I miss the red trunks, but from the looks of the latest set photo on the farm it seems like he has blue trunks on..

Or something covering that area to make us think he has blue trunks perhaps?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #311
Sabaoth
Master

He's wearing a damn blue kilt!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #312
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
My feeling as well

Mine as well, but I'm even more stubborn than you and Kurosawa, because I haven't seen 100% conclusive proof that the red trunks and the yellow/gold tone belt are gone. We have just seen spy pictures that create even more mystery. If they are shooting Superman/Zod scenes on the Smallville street exteriors in the next two weeks they won't be able to keep it a secret much longer.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #313
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Yes, we've heard the same stupid crap 1000 times. If we like them modernizing the character, we don't like the character at all.

Well, it's a damn shame that YOU don't like Superman as he currently exists. Fortunately, this is a forum for Superman as he currently exists, not as he existed before. If you're just going to troll on about how you don't like the character as he currently exists, please don't post.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #314
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Yes, we've heard the same stupid crap 1000 times. If we like them modernizing the character, we don't like the character at all.

Well, it's a damn shame that YOU don't like Superman as he currently exists. Fortunately, this is a forum for Superman as he currently exists, not as he existed before. If you're just going to troll on about how you don't like the character as he currently exists, please don't post.

Have you tried upping the dosage on your meds??

Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #315
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
Mine as well, but I'm even more stubborn than you and Kurosawa, because I haven't seen 100% conclusive proof that the red trunks and the yellow/gold tone belt are gone. We have just seen spy pictures that create even more mystery. If they are shooting Superman/Zod scenes on the Smallville street exteriors in the next two weeks they won't be able to keep it a secret much longer.
I knew the trunks were gonna be gone before the suit reveal, tbh. Decons have been winning for years with Superman...while the characters sales, popularity and relevance have tanked.

If any of these updates had done a single thing to improve Superman's popularity, I could buy into the claim that updating the character is necessary...but they've been updating the character non stop since 1986...and all it has yielded is years of failure and decline. Comics sales, TV ratings and movie box office do not lie. People have rejected a "modern, hip" Superman. In droves.

People want Superman to be himself. If not, they reject the character. Every bit of evidence one can find proves this. Conveniently the people who so desperately want Superman changed ignore this.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #316
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

The failure to modernize is what's caused Superman's popularity and relevance to tank. Hopefully that's about to come to an end with Snyder & Co.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #317
Kurosawa
Banned User

They've been modernizing non-stop since 1986 and it has all failed. It's fake, it's not Superman, and people don't buy it for that reason. LITERALLY they don't buy it, as the pathetic comics sales of the last 25 years have shown.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #318
Majik1387
Banned User

Yeah, it's totally failed, that's why they continued it instead of going back to his roots.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #319
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Even in this average attempt at drawing/painting Superman(aside from the \S/) it shows once again how good the trunks look imo. It just looks natural to my eyes.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #320
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
The failure to modernize is what's caused Superman's popularity and relevance to tank. Hopefully that's about to come to an end with Snyder & Co.
I thought Superman "modernized" years ago, and yet for the past 20 or so years all I hear is people saying "Superman fails to modernize", and now it's happening again. In the meantime, what the hell have they done to characters like Batman and Spider-Man that's nearly as drastic a modernization as Byrne?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #321
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #322
Superwoman Prime
Damaged Beyond Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
It looks so odd. I may learn to tolerate it in time, though. As long as the stories themselves are decent.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #323
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Yeah, it really is a shame that they allowed people who didn't like Superman in the first place to decide how the costume should look. As if dropping the trunks and having Superman in a unitard will magically make them like the character. It's a cowardly move, IMO.

So much for this pack of lies (not that anyone really believed it...including yourself):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I don't make assumptions. I make conclusions and I make them with almost 40 years of reading experience and a lifetime of study on my side. I don't seriously discuss things that I do not have sufficient knowledge of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
LOLOLOL so now zack snyder and company dont like superman because he has no red tights?

sorry kuro but your superiority complex is showing again
"Again" implies there was a time when it didn't...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #324
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
People, I really love this suit.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #325
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
But it is after all Snyder's movie. I love his visuals and I think he has a very good sense of what looks good on screen. I think that if he picked the plain suit without trunks that he made the best choice. I couldn't really see him visually making a dumb decision because he truly does have a very good eye for detail and for making images look very beautiful.
Absolutely. And considering everything else we know about the movie has been a homerun, from casting to the rest of the suit, there's no reason to not give Snyder the benefit of the doubt until we see a full reveal of the costume.

Very much looking forward to it... I still can't believe that an actual Superman movie is filming right now. I get goosebumps whenever new set photos turn up. It's a great time to be a Supes fan, that's for sure...

Closed Thread