Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #251
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Both your facts and your opinions are just plain wrong. I thank God that no one with your attitude and philosphy regarding SH/CB movies is calling the shots at Marvel/Disney.

You just have shockingly low standards. ( And a child's understanding of the movie biz.)I guess it beats being repeatedly disappointed. Do other DC fans feel this way?
Facts can't be wrong. If what he said is wrong than they are not facts.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 12-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #252
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I know a lot of people would enjoy that. I don't know how that Wonder Woman interacts with a JLA in the modern day though, or how she interacts with the modern day at all. I also don't know if she captures hearts of people who don't have that interest in history, or in that time period.
The part I always see in my mind is Diana taking out a group of Nazi saboteurs in London, with people from Stars and Stripes witnessing her in action, giving her the moniker of Wonder Woman in the newspaper.

I think you can relate such a film to modern topics of war, isolationism, human hypocrisy, reprisals, and such...

And I think it is possible to keep the compassionate side of Wonder Woman in such a time, with her seeing the results of such a destructive war on the normal citizens, especially with the large amount of bombings of cities going on in the war.

There has also been a lot of fascination with WWII and even Pearl Harbor, which was seen as a terrible movie, did over 400 million worldwide.

Last edited by Hamill-Joker; 12-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #253
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

"facts". there.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #254
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
"facts". there.
Much better.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #255
jmc
away for a while

I haven't posted in here about a WW film for a while, but I figure I may as well re-post my thoughts.

I maintain the best way to do a WW film is for the main part of the story to take place over a short time period, within 36-48 hours of her arriving in the US. This to me anyway eliminates one of the issues I also share with others in her having to 'learn' things. If she's too busy trying to save the word she's not going to have much time to stop and marvel at the world we live in. That's not to say you can't have moments, but her objective should be about stopping whatever the threat is, ie Ares or whoever first and foremost and her having to adapt to her new surroundings on the fly.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #256
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I haven't posted in here about a WW film for a while, but I figure I may as well re-post my thoughts.

I maintain the best way to do a WW film is for the main part of the story to take place over a short time period, within 36-48 hours of her arriving in the US. This to me anyway eliminates one of the issues I also share with others in her having to 'learn' things. If she's too busy trying to save the word she's not going to have much time to stop and marvel at the world we live in. That's not to say you can't have moments, but her objective should be about stopping whatever the threat is, ie Ares or whoever first and foremost and her having to adapt to her new surroundings on the fly.
This is a great idea! Make the first 30 odd minutes on Themiscyra and Ares and mystical beasts and training, a bit like how 300 starts- at some point crash land Steve Trevor... then take her to man's world and let her save it for the climax.

That said, her integration into man's world is a big theme in her origins!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #257
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamill-Joker View Post
The part I always see in my mind is Diana taking out a group of Nazi saboteurs in London, with people from Stars and Stripes witnessing her in action, giving her the moniker of Wonder Woman in the newspaper.

I think you can relate such a film to modern topics of war, isolationism, human hypocrisy, reprisals, and such...

And I think it is possible to keep the compassionate side of Wonder Woman in such a time, with her seeing the results of such a destructive war on the normal citizens, especially with the large amount of bombings of cities going on in the war.

There has also been a lot of fascination with WWII and even Pearl Harbor, which was seen as a terrible movie, did over 400 million worldwide.
I see the appeal, I really do, but to me, that's kind of another iteration of "I like this, so WW does this." Which can make for an excellent story, but it also doesn't position the character to go beyond that. Kinda like Rucka's WW. I think WW has to be able to work just as well outside of WWII to be a great superhero. Captain America had to, and does.

Again, what you're describing would be a great WW story, with all the compassion and themeing that anyone could ever ask for. But that version of the character loses a lot of relevance when you take her out of WWII for JLA. And, afaik, there aren't any WWII film sequels, and for good reason.

Quote:

I agree, any great action film needs a strong limited-time factor, WW shouldn't be any different. I don't think that 'learning' things itself is the problem, it's the whole 'gosh, magical boxes' like she can't put two and two together. If anything, she should be using some stuff better than we are. If she catches on quick, the learning could be a cool aspect to the character rather than "Oh, silly Diana!"

I think an exclusive focus on Ares prohibits her from being an interesting character. You need time to get into the character and what makes them tick, if all she cares about is Ares, once Ares is done, she's done too.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 12-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #258
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Quote:
I think an exclusive focus on Ares prohibits her from being an interesting character. You need time to get into the character and what makes them tick, if all she cares about is Ares, once Ares is done, she's done too.
Yes. That is one concern even I have about this. It doesn't allow the development of a character such as say, Cheetah, who needs her own screen time and needs to share screen time with Diana if you want to get her character right. That is not a luxury such a story affords. As with everything, pros and cons.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #259
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

That's true, there are pros to everything. Finally getting a WW story out might be what she needs to have other people want to get into the character, even if that particular story doesn't expand very well.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #260
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Though honestly, if things called sequels didn't exist, this kind of a premise is ideal!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #261
terry78
I don't die, fool

Have you read that Ame-Comi universe WW yet?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #262
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Have you read that Ame-Comi universe WW yet?

No. Why?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #263
terry78
I don't die, fool

I was just asking everybody in general. I flipped through it yesterday, that's all.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #264
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I see the appeal, I really do, but to me, that's kind of another iteration of "I like this, so WW does this." Which can make for an excellent story, but it also doesn't position the character to go beyond that. Kinda like Rucka's WW. I think WW has to be able to work just as well outside of WWII to be a great superhero. Captain America had to, and does.

Again, what you're describing would be a great WW story, with all the compassion and themeing that anyone could ever ask for. But that version of the character loses a lot of relevance when you take her out of WWII for JLA. And, afaik, there aren't any WWII film sequels, and for good reason.
I think the version of the character that I envision would work well outside of WWII, I just think that WWII would be the best setting for an introduction of the character.

And as far as what she could bring to the JL movie, I think she could bring a different perspective of war to the group than what the other heroes think. One of the things I really liked about The Avengers was Captain America's soldier mentality and his contentious relationship with Tony Stark. I see Wonder Woman having a similar dynamic with the other heroes seeing as she will have experienced something like being in WWII while they have not.

Quote:
I like the idea of having Ares being more of a puppet master and the villains being his disciples.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #265
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I like Ares as a puppeteer thing too, goes well with the Golden Age version, and indeed world *war* 2. It'd be interesting to see WW as 'the soldier' in the JLA. She certainly is the most qualified to have that mentality as the only one with any formal training. I'm not completely sold on it, but it has legs.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #266
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

I too am all for Ares as the puppeteer. But I'm not sure who his disciple/ disciples should be.

Cheetah, as I pointed out before needs a lot of character development of her own if she has to be done justice.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #267
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
I too am all for Ares as the puppeteer. But I'm not sure who his disciple/ disciples should be.
I always saw one being the Duke of Deception except I'd rename him to Dolos, a minor Greek God of trickey, guile, and deception. And he would be a shape shifter. My ideal casting is Jeremy Irons.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #268
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Well damn, I go outta town for 2 days with no internet and we've already moved onto two other topics...and I always thought this thread was pretty slow-moving, lol.

Anyhoo, on the current topic(s): I'm not too fond of the idea of WW being set during WWII, because A.) a WWII superhero didn't seem to have the appeal last year that other recent marquee superhero flicks have (I loved Cap, for the record, but it didn't do as well as his contemporaries), B.) from a selfish POV, all of the WW stories I've read and enjoyed have been set in current times, so that's what I'd like to see from an adaptation, and C.) The whole DC Shared Universe thing seems to be on the fast track whether I want it to be or not, but if it has to happen, I of course want WW to be a part of it. The only way to do that AND set it in WWII would be to bring Diana to the present day at some point in the film, which would straight-up scream "Captain America ripoff."

As for Ares, I too like the idea of him as the puppet-master most. If we were talking about a series of films, I would say let him be the puppet-master for the first film and be the main villain of the 2nd or 3rd. But talking about the TV show? Yeah, he should be that constant villain always pulling the strings behind-the-scenes, imo.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #269
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Anyhoo, on the current topic(s): I'm not too fond of the idea of WW being set during WWII, because A.) a WWII superhero didn't seem to have the appeal last year that other recent marquee superhero flicks have (I loved Cap, for the record, but it didn't do as well as his contemporaries), B.) from a selfish POV, all of the WW stories I've read and enjoyed have been set in current times, so that's what I'd like to see from an adaptation, and C.) The whole DC Shared Universe thing seems to be on the fast track whether I want it to be or not, but if it has to happen, I of course want WW to be a part of it. The only way to do that AND set it in WWII would be to bring Diana to the present day at some point in the film, which would straight-up scream "Captain America ripoff."
I'm afraid that would be the case, yes. There is no way WB can place WW in the WWII timeline and get away without CA:TFA comparisons.

Me, I'd be fine either way. The time when WW first comes to Man's World doesn't really matter to me as long as they get the character and the story right!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #270
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
This is a great idea! Make the first 30 odd minutes on Themiscyra and Ares and mystical beasts and training, a bit like how 300 starts- at some point crash land Steve Trevor... then take her to man's world and let her save it for the climax.

That said, her integration into man's world is a big theme in her origins!
I've long held the belief The Bourne Identity is a good example of a character having to learn on the fly and not totally understanding the situation they are in. In my head anyway a WW film would be a (somewhat weird) combination of LOTR and The Bourne Identity.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #271
Zionite1
Side-Kick

HOW I WOULD DO A WONDERWOMAN FILM SERIES
The Greek gods have been asleep for thousand of years but 10 years ago Ares the evil war god awakened in modern era with one goal destroy all.He was awakened by an Al-qaueda-like organisation that worships him.

Even though Ares is awakened, his full godly powers are not not back at full stregth yet so he uses this organisation for his goals in the meantime.He grants them with magical weapons and armies sends them to wreak destruction in his name.This organisation cause chaos and manage to establish evil dictatorships over certain countries.This countries are forced to worship Ares(I think this is an intresting parallel to the real world Religous dictatorships in the middleeast)

Now in the present,Ares powers are beginning to return to their full strength and his followers are are prepearing to conquer the world when the time comes.

The UN sends forth military troops into the countries the Ares and his Terrorists are ruling (I call them the Godlands) armed with advanced technological weapons with the intention of freeing this countries from the their evil rule.

Steve trevor is one of the Leading soldiers on the UN side involved in the war.During one of the battles in the Godlands,he crashlands into mysterious island of Themyscira ,home of Amazons.The Amazons are not on Ares side but do not fight against him out of fear .Steve however meets Diana,the Amazon princess who is tired of Ares and his terrorist minions-she cant bear watching the suffering of of mankind under their rule.She decides to disobey Amazon law and help Steve and the UN forces in the battle against the bad-guys.She is nicknamed Wonderwoman by the troops.

The WW film series will be telling the story of the war for freedom from the Ares and their terrorist worshippers -Theyd pretty much be warfilms with greek fantasy aspects,,with WW being the war hero that will lead the UN to victory.
Wed see Wonderwoma dealing with the military evils of a third world county like Religous Oppression,sexism etc and I think it will strike a cord with the modern day audience .

Over the course of the series WW will fight the Terrorist organisation and only in the final movie will she actually fight Ares.As the series unfolds WW will finally convince the amazons to aid in the war.We also see WW incite the people of the Godlands to rise against their oppressors.

Another ongoing plotthread wld be WWs mission to awaken a greek god that defeated Ares in past-Athena patron goddess of the Amazones.

Last edited by Zionite1; 12-06-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #272
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^Sounds like fun. I think it's interesting how much coming into a World War does for the character, either WWII or a fictional WWIII. Very interesting.

I'm so over featuring the whole Greek Pantheon heavily though. At this point, Aphrodite and Ares is all I want to see. I guess you could sub in Athena, but that's just war vs war, y'know?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #273
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
^Sounds like fun. I think it's interesting how much coming into a World War does for the character, either WWII or a fictional WWIII. Very interesting.
Indeed.I thinks its because WW was created as a war/spy hero just like Captain america.And like Cap she shines in warlike situations.

Quote:
I'm so over featuring the whole Greek Pantheon heavily though. At this point, Aphrodite and Ares is all I want to see. I guess you could sub in Athena, but that's just war vs war, y'know?
Same here. I decided to feature only 2 Greek gods-War and wisdom

I decided to sub in Athena for Aphrodite simply beacuse I dont like Aphrodite.
Also Athena embodies wisdom and stregnth which i think embodies WW quite well

Last edited by Zionite1; 12-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #274
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've long held the belief The Bourne Identity is a good example of a character having to learn on the fly and not totally understanding the situation they are in.
This was actually one thought I had concerning Wonder Woman adapting to the outside world's environment. Fast adaptation to the situation.

I always found that to be much more interesting than having a Wonder Woman who looks at an iPad in awe.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #275
J'adore
Vous

***** will get real when Black Widow ends up getting a movie before Wonder Woman.