The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Your Preferred Flash For This Movie (Regardless who it ends up being officially)
Jay Garrick 7 2.18%
Barry Allen 151 47.04%
Wally West 157 48.91%
Bart Allen 6 1.87%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #201
cabel
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Flash Thread - Part 2

If the rogues start out experienced, will they have their powers/gimmicks already or will the arrival of the Flash inspire them to change their game up a little?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #202
Savage
Earth Rocker

The latter, hopefully. The difference between Flash's villains and a LOT of other villains out there is that, for the most part, they're not these tragic figures that got a bad hand or victims of horrible accidents. They're career criminals and would be career criminals even without the presence of a superhero. So when a guy like Flash comes rolling into town he's just looked at as a hurdle between them and cash. 'He's got superspeed? Alright. Freeze him.'

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #203
Lord Valumart
Hype's Dr - It's Canon

Yeh, I'd like to see other guys as well working on stuff to try to out do Flash then to hear on the news that "New villian Captian Cold is currently battling Flash..." then they'd be all pissed because someone got there first. I think that would be kinda cool.

Twitter: @lordvalumart
Tumblr: General-Geek
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #204
Savage
Earth Rocker

That is a cool idea. One I've always liked is having a villain be to villains what Superman is to superheroes (or what Batman was to vigilantes in The Dark Knight). Someone that inspires people to go "Hey, this guy CAN be hurt. We don't have to sit here and take this while our very livelihood is in danger." If anything I'd like see these various criminals see Cold battling Flash on TV and start cheering him every time he gets a blow on him. Cold loses at the end but people keep coming out with new methods of battling The Flash.

Does DC have a Tinkerer type of character? I think a movie about someone who profits off of superhero battling technology would be pretty good. It would be a nice way to see all of the Rogues and still have a main villain to take out. Intergang is more of a Superman deal so I'd leave them there.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #205
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
That is a cool idea. One I've always liked is having a villain be to villains what Superman is to superheroes (or what Batman was to vigilantes in The Dark Knight). Someone that inspires people to go "Hey, this guy CAN be hurt. We don't have to sit here and take this while our very livelihood is in danger." If anything I'd like see these various criminals see Cold battling Flash on TV and start cheering him every time he gets a blow on him. Cold loses at the end but people keep coming out with new methods of battling The Flash.

Does DC have a Tinkerer type of character? I think a movie about someone who profits off of superhero battling technology would be pretty good. It would be a nice way to see all of the Rogues and still have a main villain to take out. Intergang is more of a Superman deal so I'd leave them there.
I always envisioned a Tinkerer type character with Paul Gambi, Abra, or Zoom where they are the ones who sell exotic (or future) technology to the Rogues

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #206
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:

That's kinda cool. I think that Cold should be kind of a brilliant gifted supervillain so to speak. He gets the thing, like he might have the Evil Overlord List or something like it in a supervillain handbook. Don't give the hero a sporting chance, only employ bounty hunters who work for money, use unstoppable super weapon early and often, make computers not compatible with Windows/Mac, address camera malfunctions as full scale emergencies, stuff like that... he'd be brilliantly genre savvy, which would basically be his true super power.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #207
protocida
Side-Kick

There's Paul Gambi. He's the Rogues' tailor, designing suits that can withstand their powers and equipments, like fire-retardant armor for Heatwave.

His brother, Peter Gambi, was being forced to provide advanced weaponry for The 100 in Metropolis, and ended up helping create Black Lightning. A nice little connection that I always enjoyed.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #208
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugumugats View Post
I always envisioned a Tinkerer type character with Paul Gambi, Abra, or Zoom where they are the ones who sell exotic (or future) technology to the Rogues
That would be awesome. I'm pretty partial to the Zoom connection/conspiracy myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That's kinda cool. I think that Cold should be kind of a brilliant gifted supervillain so to speak. He gets the thing, like he might have the Evil Overlord List or something like it in a supervillain handbook. Don't give the hero a sporting chance, only employ bounty hunters who work for money, use unstoppable super weapon early and often, make computers not compatible with Windows/Mac, address camera malfunctions as full scale emergencies, stuff like that... he'd be brilliantly genre savvy, which would basically be his true super power.
That would be great. I can't think of better qualities for someone to lead the Rogues with. A pioneer for supervillainy. Especially since, because of his speed, Flash should be able to defeat every villain every time. It takes a serious amount of planning to beat him. The Flash is not someone who you attack on the fly and escape without sheer luck.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #209
terry78
Snap.

In a sense you kind of want to be able to root for them as much as you do Flash, but you have to write them in a certain way and not have them do something that makes them total monsters.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #210
Savage
Earth Rocker

This is true. I don't think the villains should be these cliched "I'm doing this to help my sick sister" types, though. The Rogues should just be greedy bastards adapting to be super greedy bastards. To make em likable I think they should just be charming types. Similar to villains in black comedies where they are not funny but their responses to the events that happen to them are.

Taking a black comedy like "Death To Smoochie" for example where every single character is a prick but you can still cheer for them and kind of want to see them win. That's the kind of Captain Cold I want to cheer for. A guy who just comes out and says "I'm a douche" and flashback to him giving some kid a swirly in junior high.

Last edited by Savage; 04-09-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #211
Khonshu
Side-Kick

My ideal version of this flick starts off with an introduction to Barry Allen as a methodical and deliberate forensics detective. The police team that he is working with is undergoing a change - advances in technology are transforming the pace of the police and legal system and forcing Barry to deal with the fact that his methods are seen as plodding and outdated.

It would be fantastic if the world that he is placed in is JUST ahead of our own - the technology that some of his peers are starting to use allow them to do things like re-creating the crime scene in thermo-graphic 3D, or deterring violent suspects with sound waves, etc. His peers are using global police online networks, and the city is being kept safe by video surveillance cameras.

We need to see the conflict between Barry and the world that has changed around him. He lives in a world where the latest and greatest tech is ALWAYS ahead of the law - his team is constantly running to keep up with the advances that push our society ever faster. As a result, Barry cannot fully embrace the tech because he feels like it is a flawed model of law enforcement - how can the police ever catch those who continually push the boundaries of science?

Enter the accident that makes Barry into the Flash. Finally, he has found a way to compete with the tech around him. We need to see him struggle with a level of control - suddenly the "slowpoke" detective is moving at a pace that allows him to bend the laws of speed and time.

"The Flash" is the police officer that can exist at the speed of innovation. As he starts to apprehend the villains who are abusing the technology around him (Trickster's robotic gadgetry; Mirror Master's manipulation of light and the visible spectrum), he becomes cocky - he starts to lose sight of the values he held so dear at the start of the film. He gets sloppy and incorrectly apprehends the wrong man, etc.

As he struggles to deal with this fact, enter Leonard Snart. Snart has discovered a way to slow down the "Flash" - he can manipulate the molecules in the air to hyperslow his environment. (The side effect of this process leaves the water molecules in a "frozen" state - hence the "Captain Cold" moniker given to him by the local authorities.)

Allen's final showdown with Cold is his struggle to combine his old values with his new abilities - he has to discover a way to beat Cold and learn that he can manage to be Barry Allen AND the Flash at the same time.

THIS is the flick I want to see.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #212
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
That would be awesome. I'm pretty partial to the Zoom connection/conspiracy myself.

That would be great. I can't think of better qualities for someone to lead the Rogues with. A pioneer for supervillainy. Especially since, because of his speed, Flash should be able to defeat every villain every time. It takes a serious amount of planning to beat him. The Flash is not someone who you attack on the fly and escape without sheer luck.
I think if you follow the supervillain handbook, you won't have that problem. Let's say Cold has Heat Wave, Golden Glider, Weather Wizard and Mirror Master (Holograms version). Start with a Hurricane, and send the Flash chasing after Holograms as he tries to save people. You start with that epic event and Flash totally overwhelmed. Let a couple of them get sloppy, sort of illustrate the power of the rules. The first time Flash faces Cold, perhaps, the floor's iced, Flash is then a sitting duck and Cold goes for the kill til his sister, Golden Glider has mercy, breaks the rule. Fallout and such. Things like that. By the time the climax comes, it's not about the struggle, it's about the emotion. Maybe Cold might have a few tricks, like he might have Heat Wave's blaster behind his back. Stuff like that.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #213
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
And that scene in the new series, where he saves that plane.....WOW. THAT needs to be in the movie. Sure, we've seen dozens of planes saved on film over the years, but NONE like that. That would have people talking if they do the film right.
What happened?

As far as the Rogues go, I've always liked the idea that maybe the Rogues didn't create all of their own weapons. Let's face it, some of those technologies tend to be somewhat...futuristic and far-fetched. Especially Mirror Master and The Weather Wizard. Maybe a hint at Thawne, mucking with history?

-Me
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #214
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
What happened?
There was an unexplained EMP blast that shut down all of the power in the city. (At the end it turned out Barry sent it back in time from the end of the story.) But the blast shut down a plane flying over the bridge between Keystone and Central City, Barry vibrated through the plane and stood in the aisle and latched onto the seats. He vibrated the entire plane through the bridge, saving the people on the bridge and the people in the plane.

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #215
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
As far as the Rogues go, I've always liked the idea that maybe the Rogues didn't create all of their own weapons. Let's face it, some of those technologies tend to be somewhat...futuristic and far-fetched. Especially Mirror Master and The Weather Wizard. Maybe a hint at Thawne, mucking with history?
This is what I'm thinking. Thawne Industries can even be in the first movie, even if Thawne isn't.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #216
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

After watching Fringe tonight, I certainly see how a Flash movie could be done using the Earth-One/Earth-Two concepts.

Criminals committing crimes in one world and crossing over to another. Or committing a crime in one world that affects another and only a person that can cross the divide can stop them.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #217
terry78
Snap.

Now we're getting into J.J. Abrams territory.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #218
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Now we're getting into J.J. Abrams territory.
Ha!!!I don't know about all that. I kind of see it more akin visually to that Looper trailer.

I just like the way Fringe sets up the villains with these creepy devices that wreak havoc and there's a procedural element interwoven into the plot on a tv show budget.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #219
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Ha!!!I don't know about all that. I kind of see it more akin visually to that Looper trailer.

I just like the way Fringe sets up the villains with these creepy devices that wreak havoc and there's a procedural element interwoven into the plot on a tv show budget.
Nice. Flash/Fringe mashup. Two of my favorite franchises mashing up.

I always imagined Barry Allen as a Fringe division type guy given his forensic background and the science fiction universe he lives in. And on top of it, he's dealt with alternate universes.

-FRINGE
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #220
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

As both a Flash fan and a Fringe fan, I'm loving the above.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #221
HighFivingMF
Welp.

FYI: Flashpoint is getting an animated movie.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=382359

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #222
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post

I am crying tears of joy. I actually loved Flashpoint (at least its premise and main storyline). The last issue was probably one of the few comic books that emotionally moved me and made me cry (Barry saying goodbye to his mom, and Bruce reading that letter).

I just didn't dig how the world-building got too busy and muddled with the introduction of various characters in the main title and I didn't dig the pace of the main title much either.

AHHHHHHHHH. ANIMATED FLASH MOVIE. FLASHPOINT !!!!!!!!!!!!

-FRINGE
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #223
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

Hopefully this is the beginning of the Flash's chance at a live action movie by getting his profile up before instead of after like with GL.

Now give us a series!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #224
Panthro
Team Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post

It's about time.

Long Live TCM
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #225
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is true. I don't think the villains should be these cliched "I'm doing this to help my sick sister" types, though. The Rogues should just be greedy bastards adapting to be super greedy bastards. To make em likable I think they should just be charming types. Similar to villains in black comedies where they are not funny but their responses to the events that happen to them are.

Taking a black comedy like "Death To Smoochie" for example where every single character is a prick but you can still cheer for them and kind of want to see them win. That's the kind of Captain Cold I want to cheer for. A guy who just comes out and says "I'm a douche" and flashback to him giving some kid a swirly in junior high.
Didn't Johns give Cold a story where he avenged his sister's death, people seemed to like that story.

Besides Cold in the comics isn't just some jerk, he does have some ethics, like going out of his way to avoid civilian deaths if possible. If Cold is a jerk, he should be a somewhat likable one, who has his own set of rules and a personal moral code. That would make him a good contrast to Zoom, who would just be a monster. Cold doesn't have to be tragic villain, but he should be somewhat noble.

Closed Thread