The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: What do YOU think Thor Dark World will do?
500 Million 8 7.08%
550 Million 10 8.85%
600 Million 10 8.85%
650 Million 10 8.85%
700 Million 17 15.04%
750 Million 16 14.16%
800 Million 22 19.47%
850 Million 8 7.08%
900 Million 3 2.65%
950 Million 1 0.88%
1 Billion plus 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #951
Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by superion View Post
The latest update for Friday.

Best Man $10.7 million

Thor $10.4 million.
This news is actually going to make me go out and pay to see it again today. Yes, it's only $10 but it's MY $10 and it'll make me feel better. It's like pulling for a political candidate but not voting. I won't do that...

Marvel is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #952
NoLaNitE007
Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,448
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by superion View Post
The latest update for Friday.

Best Man $10.7 million

Thor $10.4 million.

Wow. No matter what the spin is. That is not good at all.

NoLaNitE007 is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #953
Moonwing
Side-Kick
 
Moonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 556
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Shoudln't it have done that already? Does the film still have to open anywhere else?
It will be (almost)+-there by the Monday.

Moonwing is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #954
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,526
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Thor is still easily going to win the weekend even though it was beat on Friday.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #955
Moonwing
Side-Kick
 
Moonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 556
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Thor is still easily going to win the weekend even though it was beat on Friday.
Yep, it play like a family film. And I go with 600-620 total.

Moonwing is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #956
First Avenger
Side-Kick
 
First Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asgard
Posts: 5,789
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Here in Italy the movie comes out wednesday.

First Avenger is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #957
warriorking
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 696
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

We soon forget that this is only its second weekend domestically, its not like they are going to pull the movie from theatres anytime soon..
Its going to be a slow process but TDW will bring in more money, Whether it be CF or other movie openings, TDW will still be selling tickets during the holiday season...
I will revise and lower my prediction though and say it will top out at around 225 Million...
A hit by any standard...


Last edited by warriorking; 11-16-2013 at 05:13 PM.
warriorking is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #958
superion
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 594
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

TDW was always going to make more than the first one. It was a matter of how much of a bump it was going to get.

It looks like the foreign box office will go up considerably but the domestic increase will be only minimal.

superion is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #959
NoLaNitE007
Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,448
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Thor is still easily going to win the weekend even though it was beat on Friday.
Goooooood!

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnQ_mp9TzZY]

NoLaNitE007 is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #960
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,142
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Is this film still guaranteed to do $200 M domestic?

KangConquers is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #961
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 85,753
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
We soon forget that this is only its second weekend domestically, its not like they are going to pull the movie from theatres anytime soon..
Its going to be a slow process but TDW will bring in more money, Whether it be CF or other movie openings, TDW will still be selling tickets during the holiday season...
I will revise and lower my prediction though and say it will top out at around 225 Million...
A hit by any standard...
$225m is not a good domestic take, but the international numbers will make up for it.

__________________
"I've been running scams on the street since I was ten. I was kicked out of the flight academy for having a mind of my own. I'm going be a pilot. Best in the galaxy."

- Baron Harkonnen (Star Wars Episode IV: The Fellowship of the Ring)
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #962
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 54,628
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Is this film still guaranteed to do $200 M domestic?
Yes, unless it somehow drops 75% next weekend. It's not going to do that though.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #963
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,526
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

One can look at it this way, Origins is the only movie to open as high as Thor 2 and not make it to $200M domestic. And we all know why the former didn't make it.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #964
NoLaNitE007
Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,448
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Yes, unless it somehow drops 75% next weekend. It's not going to do that though.

I don't think it is a guarantee to make 200 mill domestic. Not with this BH movie now being formidable and Hunger Games coming next weekend.

It may crawl to 200 mill domestic

NoLaNitE007 is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #965
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 54,628
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

It has Thanksgiving to help it along though.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #966
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It has Thanksgiving to help it along though.
Yea thanksgiving could be decent for it. The people who arent going to be able to get into Hunger Games are going to have to go see something

insideguy is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #967
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,142
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

X-2 is actually starting to look like a very good model for Thor's domestic performance. Almost identical openings, very similar dailies. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Thor hit $215 M domestic.

KangConquers is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #968
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 85,753
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It has Thanksgiving to help it along though.
It doesn't even need Thanskgiving. $210m-$215m would be a solid low-end at this point.

__________________
"I've been running scams on the street since I was ten. I was kicked out of the flight academy for having a mind of my own. I'm going be a pilot. Best in the galaxy."

- Baron Harkonnen (Star Wars Episode IV: The Fellowship of the Ring)
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #969
warriorking
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 696
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
$225m is not a good domestic take, but the international numbers will make up for it.
Considering the fact it cost 170 million to make the movie it has been a huge success for TDW thus far..
There is no downside here whatsoever.
This movie is providing hundreds of millions of dollars in profits thus far..with millions more on the way...
And disney would give its left arm to have made that much on The Lone Ranger bust earlier this summer...


Last edited by warriorking; 11-17-2013 at 12:05 AM.
warriorking is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #970
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 54,628
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
It doesn't even need Thanskgiving. $210m-$215m would be a solid low-end at this point.
You're right of course.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #971
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
X-2 is actually starting to look like a very good model for Thor's domestic performance. Almost identical openings, very similar dailies. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Thor hit $215 M domestic.
Yea but x-2 opened 10 years ago. With inflation x-2 did far better.

insideguy is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #972
Raiden
Wakanda Forever
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,534
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
Yea but x-2 opened 10 years ago. With inflation x-2 did far better.
You also have to take the international box office into account, and TDW is dong way better than X2 did in the foreign markets.

However, I'm still a bit disappointed that TDW would lose to another movie on Friday, even though it will still win the weekend. I think the movie is great, but it is not without some of the flaws, so I hope Marvel would try to learn for it and correct the mistakes in the future.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #973
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
It doesn't even need Thanskgiving. $210m-$215m would be a solid low-end at this point.
No one is saying its not going to make money but I still say 200 to 215 aint great for a film that made 181 on the first film , plus following up avengers with little to no real competetion in its first two weeks. I know people are trying to put the bright side on this but lets be realistic here has anyone on these boards originally predicted this low of a box office domestic? I will have to search back through. Most were on the very high side.

insideguy is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #974
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
You also have to take the international box office into account, and TDW is dong way better than X2 did in the foreign markets.

However, I'm still a bit disappointed that TDW would lose to another movie on Friday, even though it will still win the weekend. I think the movie is great, but it is not without some of the flaws, so I hope Marvel would try to learn for it and correct the mistakes in the future.
International has increased for everything in the last 10 years. The market for american movies is expanded to an almost unlimited scope. 10 years from now the international take on films like thor will be twice what it is now. China alone is probably building 20 theaters a day. I can only really judge state side numbers. Those tell a better story.

insideguy is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #975
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 54,628
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
No one is saying its not going to make money but I still say 200 to 215 aint great for a film that made 181 on the first film , plus following up avengers with little to no real competetion in its first two weeks. I know people are trying to put the bright side on this but lets be realistic here has anyone on these boards originally predicted this low of a box office domestic? I will have to search back through. Most were on the very high side.
The question that has to be asked is was the original Thor really as well received in the states as the fans thought it was? My answer was always no or it would have sold as much as Captain America on DVD.

I think this boost is only because of The Avengers and nothing more. Without The Avengers bump I was planning on predicting the same or slightly lower numbers than the first one to be honest.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.