The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #526
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,513
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Duty, sure. In their hearts it's their duty. But it's no longer a job. They're not getting paid, so it's no job.
Of course it's their job. Are they still Police officers? Yes. You don't stop being who you are because a crisis happens and you're no longer getting a wage because you can't because a terrorist has taken you and your city hostage. It's not like the Government fired all the Cops and refused to pay them for goodness sake.

What's that Police Officer's credo; To serve and protect. Only a corrupt Cop would snub his nose to his duty like that in a crisis, like Wurtz "It's my day off".

Quote:
Blake says police officers only because that's simply what they are.
Oh so the special Op's guy was wrong when he called them men?

Quote:
Blake was one himself, so he gets defensive and a bit mouthy with the guy about it. They're not a bunch of jabronis who dont know how to use a gun in a shootout if push comes to shove, that's why he says they're police officers. They're needed in that situation.
The guy never implied they were a bunch of idiots who can't use a gun when needed. He said they were men who haven't seen daylight in the three months. What difference does being a Cop make in a situation like that? Cops are still susceptible to the same bad conditions as the rest of us.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 03-22-2014 at 08:03 PM.
The Joker is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #527
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
He's a Cop. It's his job. In that case Gordon and the rest of the Cops should all be Batman, too, since they all showed courage and the will to stand against injustice.

Rachel would have been an excellent Batgirl

Not all Cops showed the level of intelligence and courage of Blake. Right from the beginning we´re led to believe he is an excellent detective and is willing to take big risks to do what´s right.

Gordon couldn´t be Batman because he is old. And Rachel couldn´t be Batgirl because she has no particular skills that can serve that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The worst thing about Blake was he did NOTHING to prove he was the best candidate for the job. Just because he recognized similar emotional pain in Bruce doesn't make him the best man for Batman. At least when Bruce was considering Dent to be the real hero for Gotham over Batman, he made Dent prove himself first by giving him Lau and seeing could Dent get him to talk and get all those criminals locked up.
There were no candidates and there was no job. Bruce simply realized Blake was going to take matters into his own hands and decided that, AT THAT PARTICULAR POINT, he was the best person to inherit his resources. That´s why he said the "wear a mask" line. Bruce realized what Blake was up to and simply decided to give him the right tools.

And now you say: "ohh, but, but, but, he doesn´t know how to use those tools. He has no fighting skills"

Well, that´s the part of the story that we weren´t told. How is he going to use those tools? How is he going to learn the proper skills? Is Bruce going to help him? Will he actually fight crime like Batman did or will he adapt his modus operandi to his own limitations, since he is not Bruce Wayne? Will he be Batman? Will he be Robin? Will he be Nightwing? That we don´t know.

We can consider thousands of possibilities, and that´s the point. It´s up to us to come up with our own continuity, since Nolan decided not give us one. It´s not like we actually saw Blake fighting crime, dressed as Batman, with no training at all. That we didn´t see.

Btw, if you´re so obsessed with having the right answer for everything, how can you even enjoy super hero movies?

I mean, where did Bruce learn all his skills? We don´t see him learning how to drive The Bat, or the Batpod or even the Tumbler. Where did he acquired stunt driver skills? I mean, the whole idea of Batman is idiotic. The man knows everything and can do anything.

What about The Amazing Spider-Man? How did Peter Parker create his web gadget? That seems like a pretty complex mechanism. Yet, not only he developed it, but he knows how to perfectly use it and can do almost anything with it. And how does so much "web" fits in such small device?

Do you understand what i´m saying? You´re taking things way too seriously.

Kato is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #528
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,299
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
If you're not getting paid for it, it's no longer your "job". The cops, including Blake in that scene, are standing up because they want to. It has nothing to do with their work or career anymore. Blake has the same spirit that Bruce had minus the training. Because of his short, but impactful moments that he shared with Bruce...he becomes the man to get that mantle.

It's not about how long he knew him, it's about the feeling you get from a person and their stories. He saw that Blake was a pretty damn straightforward guy. We see that throughout the movie even with his scenes involving Gordon. He wears his heart on his sleeve and Bruce can see the intention.
The goods

Just_Human is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #529
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,513
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Not all Cops showed the level of intelligence and courage of Blake. Right from the beginning we´re led to believe he is an excellent detective and is willing to take big risks to do what´s right.
What risks and level of intelligence? And how was Bruce aware or witness to any of it? All he saw was Blake fail at trying to free hundreds of trapped Cops by himself lol.

Unless you're talking about his amazing psychic ability to deduce that if someone is hiding their anger and hurt by pretending to smile, then they must be Batman

Quote:
Gordon couldn´t be Batman because he is old. And Rachel couldn´t be Batgirl because she has no particular skills that can serve that purpose.
Oh but they showed courage to stand up against injustice. The things you said made Blake Batman material. So if that's all it takes then half the Gotham Police force are right for the job.

Quote:
There were no candidates and there was no job. Bruce simply realized Blake was going to take matters into his own hands and decided that, AT THAT PARTICULAR POINT, he was the best person to inherit his resources. That´s why he said the "wear a mask" line. Bruce realized what Blake was up to and simply decided to give him the right tools.
Taking matters into your own hands and make a fool hardy attempt to free hundreds of Cops by yourself, get caught easily, and almost killed is the antithesis of someone who looks like a good candidate to be Batman.

What did Bruce see here that sold Blake as a worthy successor? That he tried an out of his depth stunt alone and failed miserably? Ridiculous.

Quote:
And now you say: "ohh, but, but, but, he doesn´t know how to use those tools. He has no fighting skills"
Actually I wasn't. But since you brought it up, lets see your stance on that...

Quote:
Well, that´s the part of the story that we weren´t told. How is he going to use those tools? How is he going to learn the proper skills? Is Bruce going to help him? Will he actually fight crime like Batman did or will he adapt his modus operandi to his own limitations, since he is not Bruce Wayne? Will he be Batman? Will he be Robin? Will he be Nightwing? That we don´t know.

We can consider thousands of possibilities, and that´s the point. It´s up to us to come up with our own continuity, since Nolan decided not give us one. It´s not like we actually saw Blake fighting crime, dressed as Batman, with no training at all. That we didn´t see.
The viewer is left scratching their heads because with open endings you can imagine fairly obvious logical plausible scenarios. With Blake, and everything we saw of him in the movie, there is nothing there that show us how this guy can become even close to what Bruce was.

Quote:
Btw, if you´re so obsessed with having the right answer for everything, how can you even enjoy super hero movies?
Because most superhero movies, when they leave something open and unconfirmed, it makes sense when you come up with your own scenarios.

Like the Joker and his scars stories. Maybe one of them was true. Maybe they were all lies. Either way it works.

Quote:
I mean, where did Bruce learn all his skills? We don´t see him learning how to drive The Bat, or the Batpod or even the Tumbler. Where did he acquired stunt driver skills? I mean, the whole idea of Batman is idiotic. The man knows everything and can do anything.
You're obviously left to assume that when he inherited all these gadgets from Lucius, he gave him all the details he needed to know.

"Perhaps you should read the instructions first".

You saw he and Lucius go on a joy ride around W.E. in the Tumbler when he first saw it. You can easily imagine that he did the same in some capacity with the other vehicles.

Quote:
What about The Amazing Spider-Man? How did Peter Parker create his web gadget? That seems like a pretty complex mechanism. Yet, not only he developed it, but he knows how to perfectly use it and can do almost anything with it. And how does so much "web" fits in such small device?
Easy. Peter's supposed to be a Science genius. That's how he can create his own webbing and a little mechanical device to shoot it out. Some liquid when it's exposed to air solidifies and expands. Peter's webbing formula could operate on that exact same principle.

Quote:
Do you understand what i´m saying? You´re taking things way too seriously.
No I'm not. I can see plausible scenarios for most important elements that are left unexplained in CBMs. I can't with Blake. At all. He is not some lesser plot element in the movie like a webbing device or Bruce's driving skills either. He is a huge honking plot point in the movie and key to the big ending to the trilogy.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 03-22-2014 at 08:34 PM.
The Joker is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #530
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,299
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Not all Cops showed the level of intelligence and courage of Blake. Right from the beginning we´re led to believe he is an excellent detective and is willing to take big risks to do what´s right.

Gordon couldn´t be Batman because he is old. And Rachel couldn´t be Batgirl because she has no particular skills that can serve that purpose.



There were no candidates and there was no job. Bruce simply realized Blake was going to take matters into his own hands and decided that, AT THAT PARTICULAR POINT, he was the best person to inherit his resources. That´s why he said the "wear a mask" line. Bruce realized what Blake was up to and simply decided to give him the right tools.

And now you say: "ohh, but, but, but, he doesn´t know how to use those tools. He has no fighting skills"

Well, that´s the part of the story that we weren´t told. How is he going to use those tools? How is he going to learn the proper skills? Is Bruce going to help him? Will he actually fight crime like Batman did or will he adapt his modus operandi to his own limitations, since he is not Bruce Wayne? Will he be Batman? Will he be Robin? Will he be Nightwing? That we don´t know.

We can consider thousands of possibilities, and that´s the point. It´s up to us to come up with our own continuity, since Nolan decided not give us one. It´s not like we actually saw Blake fighting crime, dressed as Batman, with no training at all. That we didn´t see.

Btw, if you´re so obsessed with having the right answer for everything, how can you even enjoy super hero movies?

I mean, where did Bruce learn all his skills? We don´t see him learning how to drive The Bat, or the Batpod or even the Tumbler. Where did he acquired stunt driver skills? I mean, the whole idea of Batman is idiotic. The man knows everything and can do anything.

What about The Amazing Spider-Man? How did Peter Parker create his web gadget? That seems like a pretty complex mechanism. Yet, not only he developed it, but he knows how to perfectly use it and can do almost anything with it. And how does so much "web" fits in such small device?

Do you understand what i´m saying? You´re taking things way too seriously.
Great post, TBH

Just_Human is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #531
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
The Dark Knight Rises was absolutely amazing.
Amazingly weak and disappointing.

Rises has one of the worst endings to a movie. Hated seeing Batman pass off his mantle to a rookie stranger. Blake was a doofus.

He failed to interrogate the two construction worker guys, kills them then looks at the gun like he didn't realize guns kill and throws it away like it disgusts him. What a moron. He fails to save his Cop mates by himself. Batman saves his butt and then busts them out. He fails to get the orphan kids to safety. He fails to save Gordon in the hospital. The only thing he did right was nab Selina at the airport.

He couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery heh.


Last edited by Fudgie; 03-22-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Fudgie is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #532
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
What risks and level of intelligence? And how was Bruce aware or witness to any of it? All he saw was Blake fail at trying to free hundreds of trapped Cops by himself lol.
What level of intelligence? Well, he was the only cop that i saw figuring out what Bane was up to, and he was also the only cop that i saw being able to rescue Gordon from the sewers. He did it alone, disobeying orders, and risking his life.

It´s about showing the will to do it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Oh but they showed courage to stand up against injustice. The things you said made Blake Batman material. So if that's all it takes then half the Gotham Police force are right for the job.
They did the same thing that Blake did at the exact same time? I don´t think they did. I don´t think they started to take matters into their own hands and fighting crime alone. It´s all about timing. Blake, at the moment Bruce decided to leave Gotham, was the only person worth of having access to Bruce´s resources in order to do something with them.

Quote:
Taking matters into your own hands and make a fool hardy attempt to free hundreds of Cops by yourself, get caught easily, and almost killed is the antithesis of someone who looks like a good candidate to be Batman.

What did Bruce see here that sold Blake as a worthy successor? That he tried an out of his depth stunt alone and failed miserably? Ridiculous
He didn´t fail miserably. He discovered important things, he saved Gordon and showed the determination to fight for what´s right and risk his life if it´s necessary, something we didn´t see regular cops doing. He is not perfect and he is not Bruce Wayne. But he wants to do it. Bruce realizes that and helps him by leaving something he can possibly work with.

Why do you keep talking like if this was a job interview-like situation? It´s not about him being perfect. It´s about him being someone that Bruce was able to trust and connect with.

Quote:
The viewer is left scratching their heads because with open endings you can imagine fairly obvious logical plausible scenarios. With Blake, and everything we saw of him in the movie, there is nothing there that show us how this guy can become even close to what Bruce was.
That´s your opinion. He is more than an average cop, and that´s made very clear in the movie. Someone who is more than an average cop as a very good chance of him becoming "even close" to what Bruce was.

Quote:
You're obviously left to assume that when he inherited all these gadgets from Lucius, he gave him all the details he needed to know.

"Perhaps you should read the instructions first".

You saw he and Lucius go on a joy ride around W.E. in the Tumbler when he first saw it. You can easily imagine that he did the same in some capacity with the other vehicles.

So, you read the instructions and you automatically become a specialist at operating complex vehicles in complex situations like a professional with years and years of experience? Yeah, pretty logic.

Quote:
Easy. Peter's supposed to be a Science genius. That's how he can create his own webbing and a little mechanical device to shoot it out. Some liquid when it's exposed to air solidifies and expands. Peter's webbing formula could operate on that exact same principle.
Not bad for a highschool student. With the ability to create such complex mechanisms, he could already be rich. I mean, that web thing is pretty impressive.

Some liquid...well, he would need a lot of liquid to procuce that much web. Is it all stored in his wrists or does he have a back pocket?


Quote:
I can see plausible scenarios for most important elements that are left unexplained in CBMs. I can't with Blake
That´s your own personal problem. I can. And i´m not the only one.


Last edited by Kato; 03-22-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Kato is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #533
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,513
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
What level of intelligence? Well, he was the only cop that i saw figuring out what Bane was up to
Because he was the only Cop at the construction site who saw the explosives they were mixing up.

Quote:
and he was also the only cop that i saw being able to rescue Gordon from the sewers.
He didn't rescue him from the sewers. Gordon washed out from the sewers. Blake just found him. He didn't go in there and save him from Bane's clutches.

Quote:
He did it alone, disobeying orders, and risking his life.
Wrong. Gordon sent him on the latter, and as for the former there was no risk to his life finding Gordon washed up outside a sewer.

Quote:
It´s about showing the will to do it.
You can have all the will in the world to do something. It doesn't mean you can do it, or are the best person to do it.

Bruce didn't see anything from Blake that proved he was the right guy for the role. Not a thing.

Quote:
They did the same thing that Blake did at the exact same time? I don´t think they did.
What did they do that Blake did so radically differently? They never made half assed attempts to something on their own with overwhelming odds stacked against them like Blake did.

Your words I'm using against you. Blake showed courage to stand up for justice. So did Rachel and Gordon and the Cops on Gordon's force.

They all showed more capability for the job than Blake. Heck even Selina showed she would be a better choice than Blake. She saved Batman's life, can kick ass without needing a gun, and she helped save Gotham.

Blake did diddly squat except play escort to some orphans to safety and even that he didn't get right.

Quote:
I don´t think they started to take matters into their own hands and fighting crime alone.
Of course not. They were never stupid enough to try the kind of stunt Blake did. He wasn't even carrying a weapon.

Quote:
It´s all about timing. Blake, at the moment Bruce decided to leave Gotham, was the only person worth of having access to Bruce´s resources in order to do something with them.
Based on what? Nothing. He did nothing to prove he was the only person worthy of that.

Quote:
He didn´t failed miserably. He discovered important plans, he saved Gordon and showed the determination to fight for what´s right and risk his life if it´s necessary, something we didn´t see regular cops doing. He is not perfect and he is not Bruce Wayne. But he wants to do it. Bruce realizes that and helps him by leaving something he can possibly work with.
He did fail miserably. Did he save the other Cops by himself? No. He got caught, pushed down a hill, and nearly executed. Batman saved him and saved the trapped Cops, too.

What important plans did he discover that helped? Accidentally finding the explosives at the construction site where he killed his two suspects? What did Blake do that showed he was a cut above? That he was a guy who was a prime candidate to be Batman?

Did he take on a prison full of men by himself? Did he climb a perilous mountain by himself and find a sacred blue flower and take it to the top with him? Did he infiltrate criminal gangs incognito to study criminals?

No, no, and no. You could see the potential in Bruce pre Batman, even when he was undisciplined and wandering the world. Ra's saw his potential, too.

Guess what Ra's did? Same thing Batman did with Dent. He put him to a TEST first to see if he was worthy. What did Bruce get Blake to do to prove his worth as inheritor of the Batman stuff? Sweet nothing.

Quote:
Why do you keep talking like if this was a job interview-like situation? It´s not about him being perfect. It´s about him being someone that Bruce was able to trust and connect with.
Because when Ra's saw Bruce's potential, and Bruce saw Dent's potential, they both put them to a test to see if they were as good as they believed they might be.

That's the "interview" process.

Quote:
That´s your opinion. He is more than an average cop, and that´s made very clear in the movie. Someone who is more than an average cop as a very good chance of him becoming "even close" to what Bruce was.
I am still waiting to hear what brilliance Blake showed that sold the idea he was displaying possible Batman level greatness here.

Quote:
So, you read the instructions and you automatically become a specialist at operating complex vehicles in complex situations like a professional with years and years of experience? Yeah, pretty logic.
No, I meant if it's new gadgets he gives him instructions, or if it's a new vehicle they go and drive it together.

You see Lucius explain to Bruce how this stuff works, or in the case of the Tumbler they go driving around in it. Ergo you can put two and two together on how Bruce learns this stuff.

Quote:
Not bad for a highschool student. With the ability to create such complex mechanisms, he could already be rich. I mean, that web thing is pretty impressive.
I agree. Peter is an under appreciated genius. But then he could also make millions off being Spider-Man, too.

Quote:
Some liquid...well, he would need a lot of liquid to procuce that much web. Is it all stored in his wrists or does he have a back pocket?
Yeah somewhere on his costume. Web cartridges remember? The light flashed red when it was running low.

Quote:
That´s your own personal problem. I can. And i´m not the only one.
I can't, and I'm not the only one.

Quote:
BTW: You spend too much time discussing a movie you don´t like. I find that to be a little strange.
Who said I don't like the movie? I don't like a lot of parts to it, but I like it overall. Very flawed but decent. A huge step down to it's predecessors.

EDIT: I see Kato got banned. Why is it that the argumentative newbies always turn out to be trouble?

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 03-22-2014 at 10:58 PM.
The Joker is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #534
BatMatt
Side-Kick
 
BatMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morrison Hotel
Posts: 9,633
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm still not convinced Robin would have gone on to become "the next Batman." Sure he discovers the cave, but it doesn't mean he's going to suit up and be a vigilante. I think of how Alfred lamented to Bruce if he had given his technology to the police they could have been more effective, I think it's possible Blake uses Bruce's resources to better the city without being in costume.

__________________
Always give your best. Never get discouraged. Never be petty. Always remember: Others may hate you. But those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Nixon
BatMatt is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #535
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,513
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well in that case wouldn't he have been better off just leaving his tech to Gordon then to use if it was just about the resources? He's in a much better position to use it for good on crime cases than Blake is.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 AM   #536
BatMatt
Side-Kick
 
BatMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morrison Hotel
Posts: 9,633
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Well in that case wouldn't he have been better off just leaving his tech to Gordon then to use if it was just about the resources? He's in a much better position to use it for good on crime cases than Blake is.
Certainly not an invalid point, but to me, over the course of the movie and Blake's character development, I never really got the sense he would be someone that would don the cape and cowl...even if presented with that as an option.

__________________
Always give your best. Never get discouraged. Never be petty. Always remember: Others may hate you. But those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Nixon
BatMatt is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #537
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 25,882
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Well in that case wouldn't he have been better off just leaving his tech to Gordon then to use if it was just about the resources? He's in a much better position to use it for good on crime cases than Blake is.
Gordon went along with the lie for Dent. His heart is in the right place, and so is Bruce's, but both have shown that they'll sacrifice their principles to further their agenda.

Blake was chosen because he's different from both of them. He serves the truth and trusts others to handle it.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #538
Alfreds Butler
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 47
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
He's a Cop. It's his job. In that case Gordon and the rest of the Cops should all be Batman, too, since they all showed courage and the will to stand against injustice.

Rachel would have been an excellent Batgirl

The worst thing about Blake was he did NOTHING to prove he was the best candidate for the job. Just because he recognized similar emotional pain in Bruce doesn't make him the best man for Batman. At least when Bruce was considering Dent to be the real hero for Gotham over Batman, he made Dent prove himself first by giving him Lau and seeing could Dent get him to talk and get all those criminals locked up.

What did Blake do that proved he was undoubtedly the guy to get the Batman mantle? Not a darn thing. Even in the big climax the other Cops, Gordon, and Selina did more to help by taking on Bane and his mercenaries, and neutralizing the bomb temporarily. All Blake did was play babysitter to the orphans.
You could say the same about Dick Grayson the original Robin though he didn't do anything in comics to prove he should be a crime fighter just that he had gone through the same thing as Bruce. Bruce can see that Blake has gone through something similar as him self and has the will power that drives Bruce. Plus he knows his secret and hasn't told anyone which is unique as most people would arrest him or go to the press so already is a level of trust.

Can I ask Joker is it that you wouldn't like anyone else to become Batman like some fans opinion or is it you just don't think Blake is worthy?


Last edited by Alfreds Butler; 03-23-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Alfreds Butler is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #539
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,565
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yeah, what did Dick Grayson prove? Or Tim Drake? Or Jason Todd especially? Their parents were either killed, they stole or they figured out Waynes identity. Blake is like that except he's a grown man and a cop. As little kids, they needed more guidance, security and training for years. But Blake is a man. Like Bruce, he's at a point where he can figure out what's right and wrong for himself. He could find training like Bruce did. He's also a good candidate to give guidance to this new school of orphans that Bruce set up. Talk about a whole new generation of future vigilantes! If that's not a great set up, i dont know what is.

You know what the key is for me Joker? I think Bruce's decision had a lot to do with the Blake/Gordon relationship. Bruce trusts Gordon and has most likely done some digging to see the duo. The fact that Gordon took him on personally as a detective, etc. He knows that Jim wouldn't do that to just anybody. Blake seems to learn quick. His eyes are open. He gets the detective job pretty fast, he learns Bruce's identity pretty fast too. Even as a kid his mind is always going (whether ppl make fun of that scene or not is irrelevant here). He's already thinking of possibilities for who could be the Batman. While everybody else in Gotham is ignorant to it, they dont care.

It's all about awareness of your surroundings, and will. That has to come before everything else. Blake is the one that is aware of the corruption or conspiracies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMatt View Post
I'm still not convinced Robin would have gone on to become "the next Batman." Sure he discovers the cave, but it doesn't mean he's going to suit up and be a vigilante. I think of how Alfred lamented to Bruce if he had given his technology to the police they could have been more effective, I think it's possible Blake uses Bruce's resources to better the city without being in costume.
This is a good point. Especially with Batman's statue up at city hall. I always said that Blake was there just incase Gotham needed a Batman, then he could have the time to train, but there's a good chance that it's not the exact intention. And Gotham may not need Batman to physically be out there, but the statue and bat signal could help remind me people of what they should stand up for every day.

Blake can use the computers as his own private detective. I think it's up to us whether he suits up after that, as Batman or his own hero that is inspired by Batman. Batman's death may even trigger an army (sons of batman) who follow his same principles (not like the ones seen in TDK). Perhaps cops or former cops going out at night, with some more credibility and knowing how to control situations better.


Last edited by shauner111; 03-23-2014 at 10:13 AM.
shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #540
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,565
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also one last bit. Blake not knowing how to fight like a technician or whatever doesn't matter. Because that would be a story for the next chapter. The next chapter exists in our minds for now (and probably forever).

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #541
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,080
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just didn't like how Blake found out Bruce was Batman. Many ordinary people wear "masks". Many ordinary people hide tragedy behind a smile. Many ordinary people put on an act every single day.

Doesn't mean they are crime fighting vigilantes lol. It was just so contrived and made Blake's journey false in my view.

If he was shown to be a competent detective, discovering real clues and evidence pointing to Bruce being Batman it would have been much more effective. Plus it would make sense for Bruce to be like "Ah this guy is really good... maybe he can take up the mantle".

But no, it was basically "I can see your smile is false... and you are really rich... you MUST be Batman!"

Ugh.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #542
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,565
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes but Bruce is not ordinary. He's a billionaire. Who can fund Batman? It takes a lot of money. If he's the only young, in shape, rich guy that has something extremely off about him, then wouldnt your mind start racing too?

That's how i see it. I dont think i would think differently to Blake if i was in his shoes at that very moment.

Another thing you or Joker either dont consider or pass it off as b.s, is when Blake says "right then i knew who you really were". Interpret that the way you want. But i dont take that as "right then i knew you were batman". I took it as "right there i knew that you were hiding something". Meaning, i think as he grew up and decided to become a cop, he obviously investigated a little more. Which is one of the reasons as to why he's at his door step years later.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #543
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 21,909
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But that's not how Blake knew. He saw it in his face.

It wasn't Bruce's money that clued him in, it was his bones and stuff!

Travesty is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #544
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.
 
A Necessary Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,215
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, as much as I love TDKR, everyone in that film is crazy smart....because of lazy writing. Bane and Talia somehow knew who TF Batman was, despite having zero contact with him, Alfred found out how to google Bane & LOS, and Blake knew Bruce was Batman because of being in his bones and stuff.

__________________
This is my design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #545
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.
 
A Necessary Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,215
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wow Trav, same time posting lol

__________________
This is my design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #546
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,565
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think it's common sense that Blake finds out, and ridiculous that nobody else does. I see it the other way around.

The bones and stuff argument is just weird to me. It's like you guys only pay attention to the surface. I try to put my self in a characters shoes. Where he was at that moment in time. Im Blake, i see a young, strong, billionaire with a very dark childhood, lots of money, and it's all a public show it seems. I wonder....hmmm....what is he really like in private in that mansion of his? Batman seems strong, not old (especially since this would have taken place between Begins and Knight). Hmm....he needs a lot of money. Bruce could be one of the suspects.

It's 100 percent common sense to me. It's basic detective work. Most cops in Gotham have different priorities, drugs, corruption. Gordon is the only straight one and he doesnt care who batman is. This is why a lot of us here aren't actually detectives because you would most likely fail at cracking a case lol. It's simple stuff. Gotham doesn't figure out who batman is either because they're ignorant or because it's not written that way (which is how it is in the comics).


Last edited by shauner111; 03-23-2014 at 11:01 AM.
shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #547
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 21,909
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Wow Trav, same time posting lol
It's the power of Robin John Blake.

Travesty is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #548
The Shape
In the shadows
 
The Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Your mind.
Posts: 18,221
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post

He failed to interrogate the two construction worker guys, kills them then looks at the gun like he didn't realize guns kill and throws it away like it disgusts him. What a moron. He fails to save his Cop mates by himself. Batman saves his butt and then busts them out. He fails to get the orphan kids to safety. He fails to save Gordon in the hospital. The only thing he did right was nab Selina at the airport.

He couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery heh.


__________________
I'll be there... around every corner, in every empty room, as inevitable as your guilty conscience...
The Shape is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #549
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 48,513
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I just didn't like how Blake found out Bruce was Batman. Many ordinary people wear "masks". Many ordinary people hide tragedy behind a smile. Many ordinary people put on an act every single day.

Doesn't mean they are crime fighting vigilantes lol. It was just so contrived and made Blake's journey false in my view.

If he was shown to be a competent detective, discovering real clues and evidence pointing to Bruce being Batman it would have been much more effective. Plus it would make sense for Bruce to be like "Ah this guy is really good... maybe he can take up the mantle".

But no, it was basically "I can see your smile is false... and you are really rich... you MUST be Batman!"

Ugh.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Gordon went along with the lie for Dent. His heart is in the right place, and so is Bruce's, but both have shown that they'll sacrifice their principles to further their agenda.

Blake was chosen because he's different from both of them. He serves the truth and trusts others to handle it.
That's the worst excuse yet. He was chosen because he's not a liar?

Pull the other one. That's like saying he's a better Batman than the real Batman himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfreds Butler View Post
You could say the same about Dick Grayson the original Robin though he didn't do anything in comics to prove he should be a crime fighter just that he had gone through the same thing as Bruce. Bruce can see that Blake has gone through something similar as him self and has the will power that drives Bruce. Plus he knows his secret and hasn't told anyone which is unique as most people would arrest him or go to the press so already is a level of trust.
That's entirely different. Bruce didn't take Dick in and just decide he was sidekick material. In fact he resisted it for a long time. Even then he put him through training and TESTS to see if he was up to the job before he even let him put on a mask and a cape and go out on the job.

Who gives a flying poop that Blake can see he and Bruce share similar pain? I have asked time and again how that makes him good Batman material?

Did Ra's instantly make Bruce a member of the LOS just because he wants to fight criminals? Did Bruce decide on the spot that he was handing Gotham over to Dent and quit being Batman the moment he saw Dent had Gotham's best interests at heart?

No. They put them through a test to see if they were actually able for the job first. Bruce never did that with Blake, and Blake didn't show diddly squat to prove he was Batman material.

I despair when for the Batman universe the day he hands his costume over to a rookie he barely knows just because they have a similar background.

Quote:
Can I ask Joker is it that you wouldn't like anyone else to become Batman like some fans opinion or is it you just don't think Blake is worthy?
I don't think Blake was worthy. It's not like Batman has never retired in the comics (Dark Knight Returns) or passed the mantle to others. My Batman fanboy side doesn't mind that. It's the horrible way it was done in Rises with Blake that bothers me. That guy didn't do a darn thing that showed Bruce or the audience he was the one who should inherit the Batman mantle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
You know what the key is for me Joker? I think Bruce's decision had a lot to do with the Blake/Gordon relationship. Bruce trusts Gordon and has most likely done some digging to see the duo. The fact that Gordon took him on personally as a detective, etc. He knows that Jim wouldn't do that to just anybody. Blake seems to learn quick. His eyes are open. He gets the detective job pretty fast, he learns Bruce's identity pretty fast too. Even as a kid his mind is always going (whether ppl make fun of that scene or not is irrelevant here). He's already thinking of possibilities for who could be the Batman. While everybody else in Gotham is ignorant to it, they dont care.
Oh come on!

Gordon trusts a lot of his Cops. He even trusted Foley. Blake is hardly the first Cop Gordon ever promoted either in his tenure as Commissioner. Being a smart young Cop who has Gordon's trust is not a reason to give him the Batman mantle.

Quote:
It's all about awareness of your surroundings, and will. That has to come before everything else. Blake is the one that is aware of the corruption or conspiracies.
So in your eyes as long as you're a good detective then you're worthy of being Batman.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 03-23-2014 at 01:38 PM.
The Joker is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #550
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 21,909
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Plus, Dick had acrobatic skills. Blake just has hothead and face seeing skills.

Dick is definitely a better candidate: fact.

Travesty is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.