The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #76
Jedi Arrow
Vigilant Knight

Default Re: The Caity Lotz IS.......Coming Back Thread.

I have to say, when I first heard about this, I wasn't sure how excited I was about Sara returning. I liked her and all but I was afraid it would affect Laurel's development. But after having seen the trailer, and how they seem to be using her...you can certainly color me excited for this!

Sara looks, if anything, like an even better fighter in this trailer than she was in S2 of Arrow. And she definitely seems happier. And wearing white. I wonder, if the Lazarus Pits supposedly change one's personality, perhaps since Sara already had a dark personality, now she's lighter? Or perhaps it's just that she is thrilled to be alive and has nothing to do with the Pits.

Jedi Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #77
Kster95
Side-Kick

Lol Tumblr is complaining that they whitewashed White Canary even though she is such a minor character in the comics. Some people have nothing better to do.

Kster95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #78
JC00
Sexy Stoner Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kster95 View Post
Lol Tumblr is complaining that they whitewashed White Canary even though she is such a minor character in the comics. Some people have nothing better to do.
Probably a bunch of Olicity fans scared that Sara is coming back.

Last edited by JC00; 05-14-2015 at 11:56 PM.
JC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #79
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

What if White Canary is the result of a combination of time travel, Lazarus Pit, and the White Lantern?

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #80
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I'm not a fan of Sara, but thank god that ridiculous cleavage is gone.
I liked the cleavage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
More like Nyssa's waiting nearby to "welcome her back"
I fully support this and this Ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
God she's hot. Sorry, was that sexist of me? I hope that they clue in Laurel, Nyssa, and Capt. Lance soon. I loathe the idea of not telling them, or dragging it out painfully long like last time.

And I don't think that Katie minds much. I've never gotten the sense that she dislikes Caity, and she still gets to be Black Canary over on Arrow. So it's the best of both worlds basically.
Not sexist if it's fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesrader View Post
Excuse me, while I take care of business lol.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #81
batdude
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC00 View Post
Probably a bunch of Olicity fans scared that Sara is coming back.
It's true White Canary is a minor character but it's Caity Lotz in that outfit on a Spinoff! Olicity should have very little to do with it.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #82
Fincher
Too far gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I liked the cleavage!
What I want to know is, if Caity's going to wear that extremely low neck top when promoting this show...why couldn't we have fishnets?

Yeah, I know that was never going to happen. But maybe they'll change time at some point and come across a version of Sara's Canary who wears the fishnets. Anyone who doesn't like that sort of thing can consider it the darkest timeline. Or Sin can be Asian in that world to like balance it out or something.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:36 AM   #83
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesrader View Post
Good lord please turn around

Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:27 AM   #84
Human Torch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kster95 View Post
Tell them to give back Iris,Jimmy Olson and Johnny Storm,then we'll talk.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:33 AM   #85
Nathan

At least Sara is her own character, who just happens to use the codename of another character.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 AM   #86
Fincher
Too far gone

Yeah, White Canary is just a name that happens to serve a use for this character, it's not the actual comics character being adapted. There was no reason to think they'd ever do that character if not for calling Sara White Canary. It would actually be kind of a repeat of the twisted sense of honor going on with Ra's and Nyssa and the League of Assassins.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #87
DoomGuy91
Side-Kick

I do dislike bringing Sara back. If they wanted a Canary, it should have been her sister.

One of the things I dislike about the comic book world is the constant revolving door for people who have died, and then come back.

To add some realism to the arrowverse, Sara should have stayed in the dirt. Though I wouldn't have minded her appearing a few more times in flashbacks.

Also being revived by the Lazerius Pit doesn't really make much sense. I know comic book wise, the Pit could revive those that have completely died. However from its appearance in arrow, I got the implication the powers had been toned down from its comic book counterpart. That those that entered still had to be alive (or dying) for them to be healed. Which is why Thea was able to use it.

Though since her death, Sara's corpse has been rotting. It will be even more ridiculous if that pool can somehow heal her rotting corpse.

And since the magic hot tub is bringing her back, I wonder if we will see any side affects that Malcom mentioned would happen to those that use it. However even though he said it would happen to Thea, all we saw from her was a little bit of amnesia which went away.

Also, the fact that her death played a heavy impact on the characters and events of season 3, just makes her return worse. It would be like bringing Shado (or Tommy) somehow back from the dead in Arrow Season 4, even though her death heavily impacted the characters of Oliver and Slade, influencing season 2 a lot.

Sometimes it is best for characters to stay dead.

Last edited by DoomGuy91; 05-15-2015 at 05:03 AM.
DoomGuy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #88
hopeless
Side-Kick

I actually wondered if she was actually a descendant of Laurel and came back in time with Rip.
So I guess not, so either she's a clone or imposter maybe an agent of Savage assigned to the team as he knows about them courtesy of their time travel adventures in the past and so has time to prepare for this eventuality?
You know did they ever check to make sure she's still buried?

hopeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #89
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Tell them to give back Iris,Jimmy Olson and Johnny Storm,then we'll talk.
This. These same people who are complaining about the white wash. Had no problem saying the above changes were ok...since its about the characters and not the race.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #90
Ioini
League of Assassin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid-Man View Post
Damn I wish I was on set...
You and me both, man.

I am happy Caity is coming back. Maybe there will be an explanation, Malcolm most likely put Sara in the pit to solidify his reign as Ra's and so Nyssa isn't all pissy at him.

Ioini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #91
Daltonio
Avi Arad's Sidekick

Until watching the trailer, I seriously didn't realize just how much I missed Sara. At first, I was pretty against her coming back from the dead, worried that it would halt Laurel's development as the new Black Canary.

Now we get to have Caity Lotz back while not stepping on Laurel's toes either. So excited to see Sara again, I seriously can't wait.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #92
Loki882
Side-Kick

I MIGHT complain about the "revolving door of death/resurrections" if not for two things:

-They bungled her death and the aftermath in Arrow Season 3, BADLY!!

-They have specifically introduced the Lazarus Pits, aka the manly hot tub of awesomeness, into this universe. And the Lazarus Pits have had abilities like this for a long time in the source material.

So basically, I'm cool with it here. It'll be interesting to see if her personality has changed much, both as a "side-effect" of the pits and being actually brought back from the dead this time.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #93
JC00
Sexy Stoner Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless View Post
I actually wondered if she was actually a descendant of Laurel and came back in time with Rip.
So I guess not, so either she's a clone or imposter maybe an agent of Savage assigned to the team as he knows about them courtesy of their time travel adventures in the past and so has time to prepare for this eventuality?
No its neither, the trailer confirms it is her and she was put in the Lazarus pit

JC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #94
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
BTW, I tried to edit the thread name to "Caity Lotz IS White Canary/Sara Lance" but it won't give me that option. If any mod cares to adjust the thread name accordingly,feel free.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #95
Justin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Caity Lotz IS White Canary/Sara Lance Thread

I'm a bit disappointed with the Lazurus pit. I mean the visual of her in the pit looks fantastic but I don't really like it as a plot device as much as everyone else seems to.

I was expecting that this was going to be a futuristic Sara taken out of the timeline prior to her death.

I prefer time travel/scientific stuff to mystical stuff though, so thats probably why.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #96
Seb
We are all Bat-People

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomGuy91 View Post
I do dislike bringing Sara back. If they wanted a Canary, it should have been her sister.

One of the things I dislike about the comic book world is the constant revolving door for people who have died, and then come back.

To add some realism to the arrowverse, Sara should have stayed in the dirt. Though I wouldn't have minded her appearing a few more times in flashbacks.

Also being revived by the Lazerius Pit doesn't really make much sense. I know comic book wise, the Pit could revive those that have completely died. However from its appearance in arrow, I got the implication the powers had been toned down from its comic book counterpart. That those that entered still had to be alive (or dying) for them to be healed. Which is why Thea was able to use it.

Though since her death, Sara's corpse has been rotting. It will be even more ridiculous if that pool can somehow heal her rotting corpse.

And since the magic hot tub is bringing her back, I wonder if we will see any side affects that Malcom mentioned would happen to those that use it. However even though he said it would happen to Thea, all we saw from her was a little bit of amnesia which went away.

Also, the fact that her death played a heavy impact on the characters and events of season 3, just makes her return worse. It would be like bringing Shado (or Tommy) somehow back from the dead in Arrow Season 4, even though her death heavily impacted the characters of Oliver and Slade, influencing season 2 a lot.

Sometimes it is best for characters to stay dead.
This is an argument I've never really understood. Because it would also be like Oliver's character development due to her dying on the Gambit and on the Amazo, or to Slade's death on the Amazo. How about Team Arrow's development after Oliver 'died' on the mountaintop with Ra's? (I mean, there was a problem with the last, but it was about how he came back, not that he came back.)

Oliver also faked being brainwashed, does that invalidate the character progression that happened because Team Arrow though he was actually brainwashed?

Character development is character development, regardless of whether the characters' interpretations of the inciting incident are accurate or not.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #97
b_boy
Side-Kick

I like that they are bringing her back from the dead. I am a Laurel fan and I think Laurel would be the one most affected by Sara's return, but they made it pretty clear on Arrow that, although Laurel became impersonating The Canary because Sara was gone, she's now fighting crime as Black Canary because she wants to help keep the city safe.It's not about her sister anymore.

And Sara won't be around Starling City at least not until the middle season I believe, so it's enough time to Laurel develop a lot and then maybe they can have some cool action scenes as sister fighting crime.

I also prefer her alive again and not from other time because, if she was from the past, that means she would have to be put back in the past when the mission was accomplished, but now they can have new story lines for her.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #98
Seb
We are all Bat-People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
What I want to know is, if Caity's going to wear that extremely low neck top when promoting this show...why couldn't we have fishnets?

Yeah, I know that was never going to happen. But maybe they'll change time at some point and come across a version of Sara's Canary who wears the fishnets. Anyone who doesn't like that sort of thing can consider it the darkest timeline. Or Sin can be Asian in that world to like balance it out or something.
I'd be OK with a nod to the fishnets, but I think they don't really translate to the DCCW-verse, not in a world where everyone wears relatively sensible heroing gear. Who in their right mind would choose string over padded armour for vigilante work? It would look extraordinarily out of place, and is pointless except as fanservice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPBAGS View Post
This. These same people who are complaining about the white wash. Had no problem saying the above changes were ok...since its about the characters and not the race.
I think that people forget, when talking about characters getting their races switched, that it is not an equal opportunities game. For the most part, a film will only get greenlit, and a TV show will only use a character, if it is popular enough and has a decent amount of back catalogues to draw from. This severely limits the pool of non-white, non-straight, non-male characters to pull from, so they palette swap popular characters as a way of increasing diversity while still bringing characters that people want to the big screen.

When there are so few non-straight-cis-white-males to choose from, using one of those characters and white-washing them is a huge deal, percentage-wise, however, when you do it to one or two of the hundreds of white straight males, there are still hundreds of straight white males remaining.

Honestly, it's not the best solution, but the only other one I see is for Hollywood to take a risk (Lol, no) on a new lesser known character.

Looking at TV Iris as an example, though, which is more annoying: her skin colour, or her personality?

P.S. I don't think Sara is white-washing because the original character was a throwaway and clearly not the one Sara is portraying, and because the moniker was taken from Black Canary, so using it for another Canary related character is just good sense (If they had introduced Lady Shiva as a white woman on the other hand, then I'd be flipping all the tables.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm a bit disappointed with the Lazurus pit. I mean the visual of her in the pit looks fantastic but I don't really like it as a plot device as much as everyone else seems to.

I was expecting that this was going to be a futuristic Sara taken out of the timeline prior to her death.

I prefer time travel/scientific stuff to mystical stuff though, so thats probably why.
I don't think anyone actually likes it as an explanation, at least I don't. I just like having Sara back enough that I'm willing to ignore the silly explanation for it (though I will be very happy if they come up with a halfway decent workaround to make it less silly.)

Old 05-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #99
Fincher
Too far gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I'd be OK with a nod to the fishnets, but I think they don't really translate to the DCCW-verse, not in a world where everyone wears relatively sensible heroing gear.
Except for Diggle.

The first part of my post was really more musing than a serious attempt at an argument. It's just funny that there's debates about how much female superheroes should be sexualized, and then this actress of her own accord is wearing something that would cause people to flip out if it was actually in the show.

I do think that in a time travel show with an incredible shrinking man they could work the traditional costume in somewhere. Maybe that version of Canary wouldn't be in her right mind, maybe it's a futuristic forcefield net, maybe vigilantes have become celebrities and it's just what she wears to public appearances. I'm not overly concerned with the details.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #100
Seb
We are all Bat-People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
Except for Diggle.

The first part of my post was really more musing than a serious attempt at an argument. It's just funny that there's debates about how much female superheroes should be sexualized, and then this actress of her own accord is wearing something that would cause people to flip out if it was actually in the show.

I do think that in a time travel show with an incredible shrinking man they could work the traditional costume in somewhere. Maybe that version of Canary wouldn't be in her right mind, maybe it's a futuristic forcefield net, maybe vigilantes have become celebrities and it's just what she wears to public appearances. I'm not overly concerned with the details.
Urgh, Diggle's lack of mask is a constant irritation.

But as for women being sexualised, particularly in comic book stories, I think that characters like Wonder Woman or Supergirl could wear whatever since their outfits don't actually offer protection, but it's when you have men in kevlar and women in hooker-wear that it gets a little silly. If Wonder Woman and Superman want to fight crime naked, it wouldn't hinder their success rate. If Green Arrow and Black Canary tried it, well... that would go less well.

But I guess that it's the same as colour palettes. Arrow needs a dark green outfit (rather than the lighter comic book version) because he actually sneaks about on occasion. Flash could be wearing neon pink, or the brighter comicbook colours, without it hindering believability.

P.S. I don't think that you're claiming the opposite, I'm just elaborating on my feelings.