The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Old 11-04-2016, 01:49 AM   #51
herolee10
Waiting for a Miracle

Default Re: Legends of Tomorrow General Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
The best aspect of LoT is that it is an ensemble show so they don't feel the need to make everyone suffer while one person is focused on every single episode.
Indeed....though I feel like the show's concept is a bit too grand when considering the budget that they have to work with.

If this show had been on a mega station like the ABC network, I'd feel like they would be able to execute a lot of concepts better on screen.

It's still so cringeworthy when I see on how they approved of the CGI Nazi in the JSA episode. Idk....I mean, the small budget that they have to work feels so apparent at times whenever I watch certain episodes....which isn't always the case for the likes of Arrow or The Flash.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #52
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Indeed....though I feel like the show's concept is a bit too grand when considering the budget that they have to work with.

If this show had been on a mega station like the ABC network, I'd feel like they would be able to execute a lot of concepts better on screen.

It's still so cringeworthy when I see on how they approved of the CGI Nazi in the JSA episode. Idk....I mean, the small budget that they have to work feels so apparent at times whenever I watch certain episodes....which isn't always the case for the likes of Arrow or The Flash.
What I don't understand is why they keep chruning out this VFX heavy stories they've no possible way of doing instead of smaller ones they can bring to the screen. It's not even about making smaller stakes, but you don't need to make a story about Nazi Hulks when you know you can't pull it off in a way that doesn't look (undeliberately) rediculous. It's not liek the stories they've written are good or original enough to overcome the bad effects.

Look at Doctor Who, some of it's best episodes don't need budget, they need cretivity. "Midnight" ranks among my favorite episodes of the entire series, and it's about seven people trapped in a bus with a monster that's never seen, possesses one of the passengers, and spends the rest of the episode repeating what the other characters say.

There are and have always been cinematic techniques to help audiences deal with the suspension of disbelief. If you can't convincingly present a monster, why show it in full? Why show it at all? Would Jaws have been better if it had shown the shark for all it's duration?

If you can't convincingly or accurately depict an era, why not find a way around it? Give your stories an unreliable narrator that explains what he/she lived along this "legends" and if the tone of his narration is sufficiently bombastic, it can help with the more ridiculous stuff. Say, The Grand Hotel Budapest isn't exactly convincing for the most part, but it doesn't try to be.

I don't know. Perhaps general audiences prefer this half-assed stuff to something that's deliberatly unfinished so to speak, but I just can't get past the utter lack of creativity in problem solving these showrunners show.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #53
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Can they please get rid of boring archeology guy and bring back Rip already?

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #54
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
What I don't understand is why they keep chruning out this VFX heavy stories they've no possible way of doing instead of smaller ones they can bring to the screen. It's not even about making smaller stakes, but you don't need to make a story about Nazi Hulks when you know you can't pull it off in a way that doesn't look (undeliberately) rediculous. It's not liek the stories they've written are good or original enough to overcome the bad effects.

Look at Doctor Who, some of it's best episodes don't need budget, they need cretivity. "Midnight" ranks among my favorite episodes of the entire series, and it's about seven people trapped in a bus with a monster that's never seen, possesses one of the passengers, and spends the rest of the episode repeating what the other characters say.

There are and have always been cinematic techniques to help audiences deal with the suspension of disbelief. If you can't convincingly present a monster, why show it in full? Why show it at all? Would Jaws have been better if it had shown the shark for all it's duration?

If you can't convincingly or accurately depict an era, why not find a way around it? Give your stories an unreliable narrator that explains what he/she lived along this "legends" and if the tone of his narration is sufficiently bombastic, it can help with the more ridiculous stuff. Say, The Grand Hotel Budapest isn't exactly convincing for the most part, but it doesn't try to be.

I don't know. Perhaps general audiences prefer this half-assed stuff to something that's deliberatly unfinished so to speak, but I just can't get past the utter lack of creativity in problem solving these showrunners show.
Yeah, I think the thing is most of the audience isn't that picky. They realize it is just a TV show and enjoy it for what it is. For me Nazi Hulk looked goofy as hell, but that is part of the fun of the show. Frankly Doomsday in Batman v Superman or Enchantress in Suicide Squad looked goofy as hell too, and they spent millions of dollars on them, probably more than the entire budget of the LoT episode. People love the cartoons too, and obviously they are even less realistic, but people realize they are cartoons and let it go at that.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #55
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Yeah, I think the thing is most of the audience isn't that picky. They realize it is just a TV show and enjoy it for what it is. For me Nazi Hulk looked goofy as hell, but that is part of the fun of the show. Frankly Doomsday in Batman v Superman or Enchantress in Suicide Squad looked goofy as hell too, and they spent millions of dollars on them, probably more than the entire budget of the LoT episode. People love the cartoons too, and obviously they are even less realistic, but people realize they are cartoons and let it go at that.
While I don't disagree, I think LoT's problem is that is as generic as it gets. Doomsday may have a goofy design, but he looked believable within the style of that movie. The same thing happens with something like cartoons. If I know what I'm watching isn't really meant to represent reality (or, at the very least, popular 21st century movies and television representation of reality), things that aren't realistic don't stand out, because they work within the context of their presentation (Enchantress was goofy mostly because of the way she was written and acted, though admittedly the principle is very similar). If you watch The Blair Witch Project, or Rec or any Mockumentary you'll probably won't notice (or care) that amateurish camerawork, because it's part of the narrative.

I know most people aren't really picky with this stuff, but I also have to say that both Arrow and Flash, specially in their early seasons (1&2 for the former, 1 for the latter) seemed to be smarter with their budget.

Flash had constrains with its VFX from the very beginning and yet the stories never felt incomplete as a result because they knew to spend the money on the important stuff while complimenting the rest with good suspense and stories that felt as big (or small) as they needed to be.

The problem I have with things like the Nazi Hulk is that... Was he really necessary? Did no one look at the script and think - Okay, we can't really pull this off, what if we try a different obstacle? Can we give him a power that isn't so expensive to render? It's almost like they thought the story only supported itself because it had a Nazi Monster, when he was little more than a nuisance (and a plot device to give Steel powers). I just don't think that's good storytelling. You have to learn to build the story both around what you can and can't do when your budget is limited. And remember - Cheap doesn't necessarily equal bad.

LoT's easiest comparision is Doctor Who (also time travel, which means several different locales and exotic characters), which boasts both a ferocious style (specially in Seasons 5 and 9) and creative storytelling. It's not a perfect show by any means, but if it has to turn lifeless statues, shadows or graffiti into a monster it tries to make a strong story about it, saving it's budget for the big, more spectacular moments.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #56
herolee10
Waiting for a Miracle

I think the show would do better off they kept the Legends within a modern day period, where they would have to work towards stopping a certain series of events from taking place in the present timeline in order to change the future. This would then allow them to have more stable set pieces and locations without them having to spend more money in recreating another time period. If anything, they should keep the time traveling down to a minimal.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #57
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #58
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Cool picture. Three very evil men.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #59
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think the show would do better off they kept the Legends within a modern day period, where they would have to work towards stopping a certain series of events from taking place in the present timeline in order to change the future. This would then allow them to have more stable set pieces and locations without them having to spend more money in recreating another time period. If anything, they should keep the time traveling down to a minimal.

I prefer time traveling shows going to past eras because of the costumes and sets. Between the CW's Legends of Tomorrow and NBC's Timeless in just this season so far we have gone to:

The crash of the Hindenburg
WW2 New York
The assassination of Abraham Lincoln
Nazi occupied France
1962 Las Vegas
Feudal Japan
Nazi Germany
The American Civil War
The Alamo

And upcoming episodes include the Nixon and Reagan White House.

What other shows give such a wide variety of times and locations as these two? To me staying in the present sounds incredibly boring.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #60
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
your acting as if he replaced rip and the thing is this guy isn't leading . he's not leading at all . he's mostlikly a one season character. it's just sara who's leaders.

I do agree he is a little like Ray(who the writers really screwed up. the actor are the saving grace when ever the writers screw up.

but this is the writer team and show runners fault yet again. ya'll should look at what the real problem is here . they are why were the hawk's were boring, it was cause the writing team made them that way. there's alot it seems the writing team get's away with cause we're looking away from the obvious problem.

how ever the little fallow up bit's with the battle of the war of north and the dirty south of the United states was done better. Man jackson has been in three era's where racism is ether heavy or about to start getting nasty . but their most recent one was closes to being best they've done. how ever there still off with this show. sadly.

any way I'm looking forward to when we see the legion of Doom and see Snart again.

Last edited by zenith16; 11-05-2016 at 09:11 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #61
zenith16
Side-Kick

DC
Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 Episode 10 Title Reveale
Quote:

Here we go, guys. Things look like they are going to get rocky for team on DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. The CW’s hit drama returned earlier this fall for its second season, and now fans know when one seriously sinister group of baddies will join the show.
In fact, the team of villains got an episode named after them.
Earlier today, Marc Guggenheim shared a photo of a Legends of Tomorrow script. The front page indicates that episode 10 of Season 2 will be called “Legion of Doom,” so it’s not too hard to figure out who exactly will be featured on the show that week.
“Legends Ep. 210 is in production,” the executive producer teased. “Guess what this one's about?”
Of course, fans already knew that Legends of Tomorrow would feature the Legion of Doom this season. At San Diego Comic Con, the series’ executive producers said the famous team would be coming to The CW. The creators explained that the legion would be comprised of villains who’ve starred on other Arrowverse projects. Guys such as Damien Darhk, Reverse-Flash, Malcolm Merlyn, and Captain Cold would make themselves known to the show’s superheroes.
After the announcement was made, Guggenheim told fans how excited he was to welcome the Legion of Doom - and the Justice Society of America - to Legends of Tomorrow. “For season two of Legends, we decided that the perfect antagonist for TV’s first-ever team of Super Heroes would be TV’s first-ever team of Super-Villains, recruited from the ranks of Arrow and The Flash’s deadliest adversaries. Being huge fans of the Challenge of the Superfriends, we’ve come to call this group our ‘Legion of Doom.’”
If you want to check out this week’s episode of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, then you can read it below:
"When the Legends trace a timequake to President Reagan’s White House, they are shocked to discover their old enemy Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) is now a Senior Adviser to Reagan. As the team works to uncover what Darhk has up his devious sleeve, Sara (Caity Lotz) struggles with the choice of getting revenge or helping with the team’s larger mission.
Thinking that the JSA members could be of help, Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) and Nate (Nick Zano) break into the JSA and are surprised at what they find. Meanwhile, Stein (Victor Garber) tries to prevent his younger self from creating an even bigger time Abberation."
David Geddes directed the episode written by Keto Shimizu & Grainne Godfree.
View image on Twitter

Quote:

Marc Guggenheim @mguggenheim

Legends Ep. 210 is in production. Guess what this one's about? @philklemmer
12:55 PM - 7 Nov 2016

Based on the characters from DC Comics, DC's Legends of Tomorrow is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl), Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, Eli Stone, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters), Andrew Kreisberg (Arrow, The Flash, Eli Stone, Warehouse 13), Phil Klemmer (The Tomorrow People, Chuck), Chris Fedak (Forever, Chuck), and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, The Flash).
DC's Legends of Tomorrow airs Thursday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT on The CW. "Compromised" will debut on November 10.

source: http://comicbook.com/

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #62
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Season 2 got bumped up to 17 episodes from the initial 13. http://dclegendstv.com/2016/11/09/le...o-17-episodes/

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #63
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Their ratings warranted an expansion of the second season with few more episodes.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #64
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

This Week's Cover: CW superheroes crossover revealed

All In The Family: Inside DC’s Ultimate Superhero Crossover

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #65
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Default I have to vent...

Going to preface this and say when they announced the show. I was very excited. But, after a season plus part of season 2. I have to say I am just not happy how they are writing for the show.

-My first beef is with the time travel aspect. Too many little things they do have to have a major effect on the timeline. In this past episode they display themselves and their powers in the White House. Sorry, this would cause huge reverbarations in the government looking for those with powers.

-The writing sometimes doesn't make sense. Again, in this past episode. They are on a WH tour (w/their weapons) and just take off their tour passes and walk freely through the WH. Also, when they go into banquet hall to warn about the bomb. If the President and Soviet premiere were there. The secret service would have been all over them and then they leave them alone after everyone flees the room.

-I know Ray Palmer was supposed to be Blue Beetle (Ted Kord). But, Warner blocked it. But, please make Atom...the Atom not Iron Man. Also, I was hoping we would see more of Firestorms powers besides flight and fireblasts.

-I think this show would have been better if it had been like Brave & The Bold. Where various heroes team up for an episode or two.

Don't get me wrong. I will continue to watch because I am a fan of DC heroes and love seeing the characters on tv. I just wish they would fix a few things. I may be alone in this opinion. But, I wanted to say my peace.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #66
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Default Re: I have to vent...

The first season was a let down. Especially coming from the auspices of The Arrow and Flash I was expecting better writing and story lines. The second season premier seamed like more of the same, but I think they've gotten better. Still plot holes and really unbelievable things going on like you point out, but it is better. Plus whatever is going on with Future Barry should be interesting.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #67
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #68
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I counter! I prefer Citizen Steal to Rip Hunter. The guys annoying with his delivery of lines and awkward stooped stance. I hope he stays lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
The problem I have with things like the Nazi Hulk is that... Was he really necessary? Did no one look at the script and think - Okay, we can't really pull this off, what if we try a different obstacle? Can we give him a power that isn't so expensive to render? It's almost like they thought the story only supported itself because it had a Nazi Monster, when he was little more than a nuisance (and a plot device to give Steel powers). I just don't think that's good storytelling. You have to learn to build the story both around what you can and can't do when your budget is limited. And remember - Cheap doesn't necessarily equal bad.
It is often too noticeable as an FX which detracts from the story. If they don't have the budget for full CGI, then they should go back to more practical effects. Want to show a Nazi Hulk, look to the Incredible Hulk series. Have a normal actor for the Nazi Officer and then have a muscle man do the monster part. Or cheat with camera angles and partial shots.

They can get a lot more creative and use CGI only when they have to liven up the scene and the bad-guy-of-the-week, rather than do something even the Asylum would be ashamed of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Love it! Eobard is doing Jazz Hands!!

I have to say, I did not like this show for its first season. Or its premier. It's still not as good as the other three shows, but it has gotten better. The stories are more personal and a little deeper. They can still do better, such as doing what Supergirl has done and add some new blood to the writing team.

So far so good though. I like Sara in the captain's role and Citizen Steel and Vixen are nice additions.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #69
superboy13
Farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
It is often too noticeable as an FX which detracts from the story. If they don't have the budget for full CGI, then they should go back to more practical effects. Want to show a Nazi Hulk, look to the Incredible Hulk series. Have a normal actor for the Nazi Officer and then have a muscle man do the monster part. Or cheat with camera angles and partial shots.
Angel got away with monsters every week without CGI... and a lot looked pretty good.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #70
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

It is a shame we have to wait for the LOD, I am really looking forward to that. I imagine Darhk will be the leader at meetings, but in the end, Eobard will have his own agenda and will be the final villain for the LOT to take down, after him and Darhk fall out after Eobard betraying him or something like that.

Last edited by Slade W; 11-11-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Slade W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #71
herolee10
Waiting for a Miracle

I hope the crossover portion for legends addresses on why the team doesn't call in Barry for his help since they are way out of their league with the RF.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:25 AM   #72
signalman
Side-Kick

YAY! More Wild West action next week.

If there is a 3rd season, I love to see Bat Lash, Pow Wow Smith, and Madam .44.

signalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #73
Blitzkrieg
Pin Up Doll

Kino Scialabba's art work from season 1 of LoT:

Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #74
Blitzkrieg
Pin Up Doll

Old 11-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #75
Blitzkrieg