Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #476
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Default Re: Shailene Woodley IS Mary Jane Watson! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra Cain View Post
Jesus, is there STILL a debate over Woodley's looks?? Get over it already people!
My thoughts exactly. It's blatent misogyny.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #477
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Reminds me of how after The Dark Knight came out a bunch of my friends were saying they thought the movie was amazing but Jessica Alba should have played Rachel.

My only response now, like back then, is a strong and sturdy

Free Original Music
Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #478
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #479
SpideyFan866
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
MJ doesn't need to look like an Adam Hughes comic book drawing, but seriously, Shailene doesn't look anything like MJ from anything. Don't start posting any modeling photos, I mean the set photos
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and move on because we've seen set pics of her not filming w/ no makeup and pictures of her filming (some mid-scene) w/ makeup.

If you still don't think she looks like MJ, even w/ makeup, there's probably no chance you'll ever like it. It'll be up to her performance to sell you. And ya know what? that's really the most important thing.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #480
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and move on because we've seen set pics of her not filming w/ no makeup and pictures of her filming (some mid-scene) w/ makeup.

If you still don't think she looks like MJ, even w/ makeup, there's probably no chance you'll ever like it. It'll be up to her performance to sell you. And ya know what? that's really the most important thing.
You are right, for the most part. The modeling photos do make her look a lot better, just as hot as any MJ drawing from the comic books, so I don't really understand what went wrong

Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #481
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
MJ doesn't need to look like an Adam Hughes comic book drawing, but seriously, Shailene doesn't look anything like MJ from anything. Don't start posting any modeling photos, I mean the set photos

Sure she does, but because it's not in line with your very narrow view of what the character should be, you will not accept it. There are any number of comic book iterations that present Mary Jane as a teenager (Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man loves Mary Jane). She is a beautiful, young, red-headed woman. Am I missing something?

Jaime Foxx doesn't look like Max Dillon from anything
Dane Dehaan doesn't look like Harry Osborn from anything
Chris Cooper doesn't look like Norman Osborn from anything
Paul Giamatti doesn't look like Alex O’Hirn from anything

Wow. Imagine that. Updated interpretations of these characters, sometimes pulling from many sources and sometimes completely new and invented. If you're going to complain about Shailene and NOT about any of the characters listed above, then you're a hypocrite.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #482
DigificWriter
Banned User

Quote:
You are right, for the most part. The modeling photos do make her look a lot better, just as hot as any MJ drawing from the comic books, so I don't really understand what went wrong
Nothing "went wrong"; you're just closed-minded.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #483
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Sure she does, but because it's not in line with your very narrow view of what the character should be, you will not accept it. There are any number of comic book iterations that present Mary Jane as a teenager (Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man loves Mary Jane). She is a beautiful, young, red-headed woman. Am I missing something?

Wow. Imagine that. Updated interpretations of these characters, sometimes pulling from many sources and sometimes completely new and invented. If you're going to complain about Shailene and NOT about any of the characters listed above, then you're a hypocrite.
But, something to think about...

1. The Jamie Fox Electro is obviously based on the Ultimate Spiderman version, and I think (so far) looks pretty good. I mean, did you really expect to see a yellow star mask on the villain?

2. Dane Dehaan looks like a little wimp, just like Harry Osborn in the comics. With the exception of the nappy hair I'd say he's a pretty good choice. Probably much better than James Franco!

3. Chris Cooper wouldn't be my first choice and I think Michael Massee fit that role so much better, but something didn't pan out there, oh well. But the Green Goblin is more about the acting than the looks, not to mention that the looks will be about the costume. As long as they go with just make-up and/or a mask, with the hood, this will come off ok. I originally thought Willem Dafoe was a good choice, but he came off too campy and over the top. I think Cooper will do ok, although again, Michael Massee was a better choice!

4. Paul Giamatti as the Rhino. No, I agree with you, terrible choice! Who thought this was a good idea? Of course this will be more about CG and costuming and I just hope Paul can pull off being a big Russian brute (not likely). This one just exemplifies how bad the AS2 casting appears to be...

5. All of the above characters will have CG, costuming, or generally fit the basis of the character (i.e. Dehaan is a wimp). But the real MJ (not the really bad Ultimate MJ) is who she is because of her looks. Sorry, but the "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" only works if MJ is super model hot. MJ has always been that amazing thing that Peter gets to go home to after fighting crime all night. In summary, her looks is very much a part of who she is. Without that, she'll just be the average girl next door, and isn;t that already what Gwen is?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #484
DigificWriter
Banned User

^ If you're so disgusted with the TASM2 casting, why are you even paying attention to the movie?

As to your other 'arguments', I think you're full of crap. There is no single, 'definitive' version of any comic-book character, even if you'd like to pretend otherwise.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #485
ITheSymbioteI
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Sorry, but the "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" only works if MJ is super model hot. MJ has always been that amazing thing that Peter gets to go home to after fighting crime all night. In summary, her looks is very much a part of who she is. Without that, she'll just be the average girl next door, and isn;t that already what Gwen is?
Are you not reading what he is saying?

The "Face it, Tiger" is only one of the interpretations of MJ! (Maybe 2 since TSSM goes that route too)

But not all versions of MJs say "Face it, Tiger!". Thats one type of interpretation that uses that dialogue.

You're keeping you view of MJ so narrow, it is defined by a single piece of dialogue. Dude thats not the ONLY thing she says! The sentance is a bit iconic, but it doesn't mean she always has to say it. She never did in the Raimi movies.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #486
Human Torch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post

And to be honest,Andrew Garfield doesn't look anything like Peter Parker either.The only one who really has a claim of looking at least somewhat like their comic counterpart is Emma as Gwen.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #487
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Nothing "went wrong"; you're just closed-minded.
Sure I am

Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #488
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITheSymbioteI View Post
Are you not reading what he is saying?

The "Face it, Tiger" is only one of the interpretations of MJ! (Maybe 2 since TSSM goes that route too)

But not all versions of MJs say "Face it, Tiger!". Thats one type of interpretation that uses that dialogue.

You're keeping you view of MJ so narrow, it is defined by a single piece of dialogue. Dude thats not the ONLY thing she says! The sentance is a bit iconic, but it doesn't mean she always has to say it. She never did in the Raimi movies.
First, thank you for admitting that the "Face it Tiger" is iconic MJ. That's probably why I see her as I do, because that version is the most iconic.

They kind of tried to portray her in that was with Dunst, with actress instead of model, but that didn't work either...

So yes, there are many different ways to portray Mary Jane but only one is, as you put it, iconic.

Also, the reason I care about this is that so far I think they have done an amazing job in casting, until recently...

Andrew Garfield is, IMO, perfect and I like the minimal differences between the comic character and this series.

Emma is amazin casting. She is the perfect, smart girls next door that you are hoping for Peter to end up with.

Rhys was really good as Connors/Lizard. I think they nailed it with him.

Martin Sheen as Ben was also amazing casting, even with the teeth!

Sally Fields isn't my number one choice for Aunt May because once again I see the iconic version, but for what I would call a minor role I didn't mind her too much.

Michael Massee was, I am almost sure, going to be Norman Osborn/GG and he would have been perfect in that role. Maybe something happened with scheduling, so now we have Cooper, but still, his acting is pretty good and will hopefully pull this off.

Dehaan will be pretty good. Harry is a wimp and Dehaan is a wimp. Good casting there... Much better than Franco.

I'm glad they are going with the Ultimate Electro and Foxx should be pretty good.

Giamatti isn't a great choice, but with CG hopefully we'll be good...

And then there's MJ. So they went with Ultimate MJ and I hate ultimate MJ. Sorry, this one bothers me!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #489
DirtyHarry
I saw footage

...I'm outta here

Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #490
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
But, something to think about...

1. The Jamie Fox Electro is obviously based on the Ultimate Spiderman version, and I think (so far) looks pretty good. I mean, did you really expect to see a yellow star mask on the villain?

2. Dane Dehaan looks like a little wimp, just like Harry Osborn in the comics. With the exception of the nappy hair I'd say he's a pretty good choice. Probably much better than James Franco!

3. Chris Cooper wouldn't be my first choice and I think Michael Massee fit that role so much better, but something didn't pan out there, oh well. But the Green Goblin is more about the acting than the looks, not to mention that the looks will be about the costume. As long as they go with just make-up and/or a mask, with the hood, this will come off ok. I originally thought Willem Dafoe was a good choice, but he came off too campy and over the top. I think Cooper will do ok, although again, Michael Massee was a better choice!

4. Paul Giamatti as the Rhino. No, I agree with you, terrible choice! Who thought this was a good idea? Of course this will be more about CG and costuming and I just hope Paul can pull off being a big Russian brute (not likely). This one just exemplifies how bad the AS2 casting appears to be...

5. All of the above characters will have CG, costuming, or generally fit the basis of the character (i.e. Dehaan is a wimp). But the real MJ (not the really bad Ultimate MJ) is who she is because of her looks. Sorry, but the "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" only works if MJ is super model hot. MJ has always been that amazing thing that Peter gets to go home to after fighting crime all night. In summary, her looks is very much a part of who she is. Without that, she'll just be the average girl next door, and isn;t that already what Gwen is?

Shailene Woodley looks like a pretty, young, red-headed, teenage girl, just like Mary Jane in the comics.

I'm not being funny, but I'm sorry for you if you think the defining characteristic of Mary Jane is her "good looks". She should be a fully formed, multi-dimensional character, not a one dimensional caricature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
And to be honest,Andrew Garfield doesn't look anything like Peter Parker either.The only one who really has a claim of looking at least somewhat like their comic counterpart is Emma as Gwen.
Absolutely. I don't remember Parker ever having a huge pompadour haircut or being a skateboarder in the comics- But you know what? I'm fine with that, because these little changes and reinventions are bound to happen.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #491
ParkerPeters
Mighty Amazing

Massee was a place holder. There were no scheduling errors. They wanted an A or B list celeb to be Norman, so they cast Massee for the one scene to hold his place.

It was never going to be Massee. It was never supposed to happen. That is how Hollywood works. They don't want a C lister as the main villain. It wouldn't put butts in seats.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #492
SpiderMan'sBoot
Side-Kick

I just look at the movies as a different take on Spidey.

There's a reason they're based on the comics. It's not a direct recreation of them. It's a different interpretation on the Spidey universe.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #493
Nicko-Ray
Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMan'sBoot View Post
I just look at the movies as a different take on Spidey.

There's a reason they're based on the comics. It's not a direct recreation of them. It's a different interpretation on the Spidey universe.
This.
Not direct recreation, but they do pretty good at capturing the same feel as the Ultimates in terms of Oscorp's "lingering" over Peter w/ the spiders, and Richard Parker's "shadowing" over Peter.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #494
elsewhere
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerPeters View Post
Massee was a place holder. There were no scheduling errors. They wanted an A or B list celeb to be Norman, so they cast Massee for the one scene to hold his place.

It was never going to be Massee. It was never supposed to happen. That is how Hollywood works. They don't want a C lister as the main villain. It wouldn't put butts in seats.
Massee was not a place holder. I'd bet my life on it.

Whether his character will show up again I don't know. But Norman Osborn he was not.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #495
ParkerPeters
Mighty Amazing

I don't know. I used to work in television, so maybe I just see things differently. I would bet your life that he WAS a place holder, but that discussion is really
A- useless, Cooper is Norman now.
B- off topic.
I'll agree to disagree with you, and I am sorry I got so heated.
Also, I have never worked in Hollywood, so maybe they do things differently. But mostly, I think productions are the same, and so are the reason's for casting. Maybe Massee is Vulture. That would be awesome. Or maybe he is Smythe which would be even better IMO.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #496
Marvel Spider
Ready for Homecoming

I personally think he was a placeholder.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #497
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

It will look so wrong if Andrew and Shailene are making eyes then eventually bumbing uglies together. It will be like watching relatives getting it on right before your eyes. There is a weird older brother/ younger sister thing going on with the way they looked. Especially in that scene when she was on the bike. And with having a sister myself, the whole idea is personally a bit gross. Others will obviously feel differently.

I think in this series they might be trying to make out Gwen is so much better, more interesting, more attractive, smarter, funnier, sexier, a better match for Peter, etc than Mary Jane is. I think it'll look like when she's bumped off that the only reason he is shacking up with Mary Jane is because she is next door and it means he doesn't have to walk far!!

Its a shame because I always liked the Peter/ MJ ship in the comics. When they try to change what works they lose fans IMO.

"The red capes are coming. The red capes are coming."
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #498
The Vigilante
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Ill just leave this here
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #499
Cassandra Cain
YAS KWEEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
...I'm outta here

Yup, me too. I guess I'll revisit when the naysayers start making comments like, 'Well she's not exactly what I had in mind for Mary Jane, but she's actually not so bad.' 2014 or bust then.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #500
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:
First, thank you for admitting that the "Face it Tiger" is iconic MJ. That's probably why I see her as I do, because that version is the most iconic.

They kind of tried to portray her in that was with Dunst, with actress instead of model, but that didn't work either...

So yes, there are many different ways to portray Mary Jane but only one is, as you put it, iconic.

Also, the reason I care about this is that so far I think they have done an amazing job in casting, until recently...

Andrew Garfield is, IMO, perfect and I like the minimal differences between the comic character and this series.

Emma is amazin casting. She is the perfect, smart girls next door that you are hoping for Peter to end up with.

Rhys was really good as Connors/Lizard. I think they nailed it with him.

Martin Sheen as Ben was also amazing casting, even with the teeth!

Sally Fields isn't my number one choice for Aunt May because once again I see the iconic version, but for what I would call a minor role I didn't mind her too much.

Michael Massee was, I am almost sure, going to be Norman Osborn/GG and he would have been perfect in that role. Maybe something happened with scheduling, so now we have Cooper, but still, his acting is pretty good and will hopefully pull this off.

Dehaan will be pretty good. Harry is a wimp and Dehaan is a wimp. Good casting there... Much better than Franco.

I'm glad they are going with the Ultimate Electro and Foxx should be pretty good.

Giamatti isn't a great choice, but with CG hopefully we'll be good...

And then there's MJ. So they went with Ultimate MJ and I hate ultimate MJ. Sorry, this one bothers me!

He sacrificed everything he has to give everyone else, the people that kicked him, spat on him,he gives them a chance. He saves them though they would more likely than not, let him die.Spider-Man is our personal Jesus, he is all of us.
Closed Thread