The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #601
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
Still haven't read "For Tomorrow." Currently reading Camelot Falls volume 2 and I like the story.
Was that Kurt Busiek? I remember his brief run on Superman being good stuff.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #602
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Was that Kurt Busiek? I remember his brief run on Superman being good stuff.
Yes and yes.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #603
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I see "Luckily" I don't have any physical places to buy around here, otherwise I might be in your situation too.
I like to keep around 30 in my actual current read pile and the rest are just piled up waiting for their turn.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 06-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #604
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade W View Post
It is a good story, IMO. I really like how Geoff writes Lex. If you are not a fan of Lex, but one of the other villains on his team, then you may be left disappointed though, as Lex receives by far the most focus. It is something I do not like about those types of team-ups, as lots of great characters and villains come off very poorly, and are not anywhere near as interesting or entertaining as they are in their main books, IMO, unless you are Lex. If I did not know who the other villains were before reading Forever Evil, I would not have gotten the impression that they were good characters.
I agree about Lex. But I'm not sure I agree with everything else. I loved how Sinestro was portrayed as a egotistical cosmic force to be reckoned with. And the Rogues tie in was incredible.

Either way I'd put Forever Evil on my must-read list for all comics readers

Old 06-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #605
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
I agree about Lex. But I'm not sure I agree with everything else. I loved how Sinestro was portrayed as a egotistical cosmic force to be reckoned with. And the Rogues tie in was incredible.

Either way I'd put Forever Evil on my must-read list for all comics readers
Forever Evil was great. What do you think about Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis?

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #606
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I just got around to reading V for Vendetta for the first time. I have a question: what happened to Rose Almond at the end of the novel? Was she arrested? Did the crowd attack her? She was a depressing, sympathetic character who proved important to the story but was ultimately left without resolution, unless I missed it. And that hole kind of bugged me.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #607
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Forever Evil was great. What do you think about Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis?

Just saw this question. I have to admit that I started but never finished infinite crisis and never even started final crisis. I wasn't ennamorred with some of the directions that DC was taking some of the characters during that time so I didn't really get up for a big event.

I loved Flashpoint though.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #608
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Just saw this question. I have to admit that I started but never finished infinite crisis and never even started final crisis. I wasn't ennamorred with some of the directions that DC was taking some of the characters during that time so I didn't really get up for a big event.

I loved Flashpoint though.
I thought Infinite Crisis was a cleverly put-together successor to Crisis on Infinite Earths but - and I don't want to spoil anything here as I don't know how far you got with it - I didn't like what Johns did with some of the threads left over from CoIE. I just finished rereading CoIE - maybe it's time to reread IC.

Yeah, I also loved Flashpoint

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #609
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot09 View Post
Anyone here read Superman : For Tommorow?

Would you recommend it? Is it a standard hero beats up villain Superman story or something a bit more cerebral? Thats the kind of stories I like with Superman.
Yes. Looking back I rated it Art 9/10, Plot 9/10, Writing 7/10. It's got more to it that just 'hero beats up villain' - although there is of course some of that!

Might be time to give that a reread too.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite

Last edited by Milk Tray Guy; 06-16-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #610
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Has anyone ever read Green Lantern #200? I laughed at the Guardians flying off with the Zamarons for mating. Got a funny mental picture.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #611
geetard
Rebirth

Sales estimates for May:
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-05.html

Combining both 3D and regular covers, Batman and Flash end up top 2 respectively.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #612
sweetre15
Positive Page

So I finally finished reading Aquaman Vol 4: Death of a King. It's honestly what I had been anticipating since I decided to start reading this run....A badass underwater adventure. The backstory of how Arthur is actually the descendant of Atlan's traitorous brother Orin despite being told he was the rightful heir to Atlantis's throne was an engaging bit to add to this story along with the arcs of Arthur/Mera missing each other, Murk/Tula/Swatt trying to free Orm because they don't trust Arthur and Atlan's dead corpse coming back and taking over Atlantis once again with Mera's ex siding with Atlan.

From start to finish it was a hell of an adventure though I found it to be a minor minor step down from Throne of Atlantis.

Overall score: 8.5/10

sweetre15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #613
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post

So I finally finished reading Aquaman Vol 4: Death of a King. It's honestly what I had been anticipating since I decided to start reading this run....A badass underwater adventure. The backstory of how Arthur is actually the descendant of Atlan's traitorous brother Orin despite being told he was the rightful heir to Atlantis's throne was an engaging bit to add to this story along with the arcs of Arthur/Mera missing each other, Murk/Tula/Swatt trying to free Orm because they don't trust Arthur and Atlan's dead corpse coming back and taking over Atlantis once again with Mera's ex siding with Atlan.

From start to finish it was a hell of an adventure though I found it to be a minor minor step down from Throne of Atlantis.

Overall score: 8.5/10

Funny, yesterday I was talking with my college-aged nephew who kept saying Aquaman is the lamest DC hero. If I didn't love the kid like a son I would've decked him. Aquaman is King Arthur, Jason Bourne, Tarzan, and the Magnificent Seven all wrapped up in one character. He makes for some badass stories.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #614
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Funny, yesterday I was talking with my college-aged nephew who kept saying Aquaman is the lamest DC hero. If I didn't love the kid like a son I would've decked him. Aquaman is King Arthur, Jason Bourne, Tarzan, and the Magnificent Seven all wrapped up in one character. He makes for some badass stories.
And with certain writers (Kurt Busiek) can be evocative of Conan The Cimmerian

But yeah anyone hating on Aquaman I often think have

1. Only seen him in Superfriends

2. Never read an Aquaman comic

3. Forget how he was presented in Justice League TAS

WWE will always be the clear #1 company in pro wrestling as long as their next best competition is TNA, and TNA will always be the second-rate Mickey Mouse outfit with the creativity of a Xerox copier
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #615
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Yes, it's pretty obvious that Aqua-haters have most likely never read a comic. Same goes for Superman haters, I think so at least.

Then there are the "experts" that see a couple movies and read a wiki page and think they know what they're talking about. But that's a whole different discussion.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #616
sweetre15
Positive Page

Also Gail Simone and Aaron Lopetski are working on a Wonder Woman/Conan crossover:

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/19/w...rian-this-fall

The two publishers have guaranteed this crossover will draw some fan attention by bringing back fan-favorite Wonder Woman writer Gail Simone and Wonder Woman artist Aaron Lopresti for an adventure unlike anything seen before — a collision of legends.

“I love crossovers, I love Wonder Woman, and being able to bring the undisputed greatest warriors of the DCU and Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age together for the very first time is a dream come true,” Simone said in a statement. “A major draw is getting to reunite with the great Aaron Lopresti, whose very favorite things to draw are Wonder Woman and barbarians. Its blades and bracelets, wizards and wonder and I couldn't be more delighted.”

The tale begins as Conan the Barbarian arrives on the shores of an unknown land, and soon meets the world’s most fearsome arena fighter — Wonder Woman. Ill-fated circumstances force them both into slavery. As they attempt to free themselves from the grips of the rich and powerful slave-owner Dellos, a dark magic descends upon their land, a presence that wants to destroy them both. But who has the might to stop the most talented gladiators who have ever existed?

Wonder Woman has been a pivotal character in the DC Universe for over 75 years as a member of the Trinity and the Justice League, and as a notable icon around the world. Conan the Barbarian, similarly, has long been an important character since his creation 85 years ago. Dark Horse has been publishing Conan stories since 2003, and new and exciting tales continue to hit shelves.

“Uniting the greatest characters of the DC Universe with some of the most famous and notable characters in pop culture is at the core of the most memorable crossovers we’ve ever done,” said DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras. “Gail and Aaron’s series will surely create a new legend for fans and readers to talk about for years to come.”

A tale of myths and magic, Simone and Lopresti bring to life a new world for these two heroes—weaving a story of fantasy, mythos and adventure. The six-issue story begins September 20.

Last edited by sweetre15; 06-19-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #617
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Oh, nice!

Is Conan published by Dark Horse still? If so, I wonder what other little crossovers they have planned.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #618
sweetre15
Positive Page

Quote:
Oh, nice!

Is Conan published by Dark Horse still? If so, I wonder what other little crossovers they have planned.
Updated but yes they still do.

WWE will always be the clear #1 company in pro wrestling as long as their next best competition is TNA, and TNA will always be the second-rate Mickey Mouse outfit with the creativity of a Xerox copier
Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #619
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Oh, nice!

I need another Hellboy/Batman crossover.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #620
sweetre15
Positive Page

I gotta admit though, I wish Frank Cho was handling the artwork for this crossover solely because his style lends itself to these characters because his style is a homage to the artwork used in Frank Frazetta paintings.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #621
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, it's pretty obvious that Aqua-haters have most likely never read a comic. Same goes for Superman haters, I think so at least.

Then there are the "experts" that see a couple movies and read a wiki page and think they know what they're talking about. But that's a whole different discussion.
It doesn't really help that a large chunk of good Aquaman comics have not been collected. Seems to be changing though as some of the post-Rick Veitch stuff is getting collected along with some older stuff.

Peter David's "Atlantis Chronicles" is getting a deluxe hardcover collection this November, and a Peter David Aquaman TPB collecting Time & Tide and 1-10 of the ongoing is coming out early next year. Honestly, the first 25 issues of this run would make for one hell of a grand epic trilogy of films.

Some weird version of Rick Veitch's Waterbearer arc is also getting a collection again next year.

But I'd love to see the 1986 and 1989 Aquaman mini-series collected with the Aquaman 1988 special and the Legend of Aquaman special from 1989 all collected in one big paperback.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #622
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

You do bring up a good point there, CrimsonMist. DC does do a good job of not collecting a lot of old runs in trade form. Something Marvel is much better at and that helps. Especially with casuals. DC has gotten better recently though.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #623
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

So Lobo is back to classic Lobo? What happened to Nu Lobo? The only time I read his run was the crossover with Sinestro.

Edit: I remember seeing NuLobo as a part of Larfleeze's collection in HJATGLC. So the Lobo on the Justice League is the classic one returned?

Last edited by MMMMM...Pancakes; 06-21-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #624
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Some interesting trades and hardcovers in the DC and Marvel September Solicitations.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #625
sweetre15
Positive Page

So now my reading list is

Tekken: Blood Feud #1 and #2

KnightFall Vol.1,2,and 3

Superman: Birthright

Superman For All Seasons

Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Box