The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 06-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #26
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Default Re: Supergirl to join the DCEU?

if they do introduce Supergirl into the DCEU, will they just ignore that MOS prequel comic that had Kara as an early ancestor of Kal, whose Kryptonian scout ship crashed on Earth a long time ago, which was the ship Kal discovered in the Arctic?

Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #27
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
A Supergirl Film.

but now that you mention it, maybe it would be better to get a straight up solo, hope-filled and uplifting Superman sequel first that just focused on Superman the way he should be. then, at the end, include a cliffhanger with Supergirl's pod crashing.

that would setup the Supergirl film, which would feature the Trinity.
This would be a bad way to set up a Supergirl movie because it wouldn't be until 2025 until we got a Supergirl movie. I don't see why we couldn't have a hope filled, uplifting Man of Steel 2 WITH Supergirl.
She could even be the one who inspires Superman. I would like her to be in at least the second act, if not in the movie from the start.

Quote:
if they do introduce Supergirl into the DCEU, will they just ignore that MOS prequel comic that had Kara as an early ancestor of Kal, whose Kryptonian scout ship crashed on Earth a long time ago, which was the ship Kal discovered in the Arctic?
Supergirl could be in hibernation for 10,000 years and some event awakens her.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #28
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
This would be a bad way to set up a Supergirl movie because it wouldn't be until 2025 until we got a Supergirl movie. I don't see why we couldn't have a hope filled, uplifting Man of Steel 2 WITH Supergirl.
She could even be the one who inspires Superman. I would like her to be in at least the second act, if not in the movie from the start.

Supergirl could be in hibernation for 10,000 years and some even awakens her.
true. that means we would have to wait longer for a proper Supergirl movie.

and I hope they ignore that prequel comic because that messes up the cousin relationship of Kara and Kal.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #29
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Guess it's up in the air, could go either way. They could easily ignore it tbh as most people won't even be aware of it.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #30
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Guess it's up in the air, could go either way. They could easily ignore it tbh as most people won't even be aware of it.
And it's not the first time a comic book adaptation has deviated from the source material.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #31
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
As far as my crowd goes, I'm the only one that remembers that scene.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #32
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Almost certainly. I don't think any company has held to prequel/tie-in comics.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #33
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
... and my first intro to the character was the Superman/Batman story ( with WW training her and Darkseid pursuing her ). So, I wouldn't mind if they adapted that storyline. T

Yes, that's Superman/Batman: The Supergirl from Krypton, the one that I mentioned above. I think that would be a great intro for her

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #34
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Hmm, Chloe Moretz maybe...
She has a good look in a super suit

But even though she is only 20, I would rather have someone even younger. Mid-teens would be best.

This though, would be great see brought to the DCEU!

That look is perfect, even though it has none of the pain and angst I mentioned wanting earlier. This lighter, happier version of a super would be a gold mine for the franchise!

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #35
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
Yes, that's Superman/Batman: The Supergirl from Krypton, the one that I mentioned above. I think that would be a great intro for her
That sounds FANTASTIC......I would love to see that.

Won't be Melissa, but I would go and see that movie without her in it as Supergirl.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 06-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #36
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
I can't see any reason why not. I'm sure the majority of people who have seen the DCEU movies haven't read it.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Old 06-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #37
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
That sounds FANTASTIC......I would love to see that.

Won't be Melissa, but I would go and see that movie without her in it as Supergirl.
I don't know if you remember, but there's a fantastic (and very funny) dialogue exchange over a comm link between Bats and Supes at the opening of the story which I can absolutely hear Affleck and Cavill doing

Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #38
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
I don't know if you remember, but there's a fantastic (and very funny) dialogue exchange over a comm link between Bats and Supes at the opening of the story which I can absolutely hear Affleck and Cavill doing
YEESSSSSSSS........

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #39
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
They did have Kal walking past an open cryo pod on the ship. It could be worked in that Kara awoke just shortly after the ship was discovered and managed to get away without being seen.

Maybe she could have amnesia and be simply wandering until being taken in by a kindly, Kent-style couple. Then they can view the events of MoS and BvS from the outside, similar to the beginning of BvS looking back at the fight scene in MoS... That would be if they decided to use the cue of that open tube and the little known prequel comic...

And though I would love to see Supergirl from Krypton writ large on the big screen, I think it would end up being too super hero heavy. It would be a lot to cram into two and a half hours...

Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #40
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

It wouldn't be too superhero-heavy in a Justice League movie...

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #41
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I want someone who is young and unknown like Helen Slater was in the 1984 movie. I think movie Supergirl should be a teenager who attends school unlike the CW Supergirl played by Melissa Benoist.

If they make her more innocent and also a young and courageous heroine, DC will be able to have another Disney-like character in addition to WW who could rule the box office. Don't know who could play her, but she should be a bit like Rapunzel in Tangled.

If they took advantage of any Disney-like characteristics, or deliberately added them, it could appeal to a much broader demographic. After all, that's what WW has done and has played more like a Disney animated or live action movie than a superhero movie.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #42
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
It wouldn't be too superhero-heavy in a Justice League movie...
But then it wouldn't seem like a 'supergirl' movie, and instead would just be another JL. Which would be fine, but I would want Supergirl to be the central, main character of her first movie in the DCEU.

Now, I would love Supergirl from Krypton, but it would be a juggernaut of a movie, spanning from Gotham to the Fortress of Solitude, from Themyscira all the way to Apokolips, and with all their assorted inhabitants coming along for the ride.

Good for a Justice League movie, but that is a team format and them coming together, whereas Supergirl should just be about Kara.

I think it should mimic MoS rather than JL in scope. Heck, they could break Supergirl from Krypton into two movies, with the first being a Supergirl movie, only with a different primary plot added, and then the secondary plot concerning Darkseid could lead into the second half, that being a JL movie to finish out an expanded story line.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #43
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
But then it wouldn't seem like a 'supergirl' movie, and instead would just be another JL. Which would be fine, but I would want Supergirl to be the central, main character of her first movie in the DCEU.

Now, I would love Supergirl from Krypton, but it would be a juggernaut of a movie, spanning from Gotham to the Fortress of Solitude, from Themyscira all the way to Apokolips, and with all their assorted inhabitants coming along for the ride.

Good for a Justice League movie, but that is a team format and them coming together, whereas Supergirl should just be about Kara.

I think it should mimic MoS rather than JL in scope. Heck, they could break Supergirl from Krypton into two movies, with the first being a Supergirl movie, only with a different primary plot added, and then the secondary plot concerning Darkseid could lead into the second half, that being a JL movie to finish out an expanded story line.
I just don't think the most compelling story for a Supergirl solo film would be her origin. Because any of her origins you choose to go with, it's still entirely dependent on pre-established mythology and characters. Supergirl's not Wonder Woman - she's a legacy character, in a world with an already established Justice League. Which means if you tell her origin, you're either gonna have to feature those "bigger" characters, or awkwardly dance around them like Supergirl S1. Either way, it takes the focus off her.

Which is why I'd prefer they own that aspect of her origin and just do it in a proper Justice League film with the other characters as is in the comics (they're already setting up Darkseid in the movies so it fits like a glove), then let her solo take place once she's already established as Supergirl - that way the adventure of her first solo film is entirely focused on her.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #44
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I want someone who is young and unknown like Helen Slater was in the 1984 movie. I think movie Supergirl should be a teenager who attends school unlike the CW Supergirl played by Melissa Benoist.

If they make her more innocent and also a young and courageous heroine, DC will be able to have another Disney-like character in addition to WW who could rule the box office. Don't know who could play her, but she should be a bit like Rapunzel in Tangled.

If they took advantage of any Disney-like characteristics, or deliberately added them, it could appeal to a much broader demographic. After all, that's what WW has done and has played more like a Disney animated or live action movie than a superhero movie.
A Rapunzel like Supergirl??

Are you trying to overload me with blonde adorkability??!!

but yeah, I agree. it would be a welcome change to have a younger, more innocent, more hopefully optimistic heroine in the DCEU.

not every character has to be "world weary" in the DCEU.

seems like Flash in JL might fit that bill, and maybe even Cyborg ( they do seem to be the youngest members of the team ). So, maybe Kara could be around the same age as Barry?

they may also want to make her roughly the same age as their Batgirl, who I'd imagine would be a young college student. So, while we may not get young teen HS age Kara, I could see her being college age in the 18-20 range?

Last edited by X Knight; 06-19-2017 at 07:35 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #45
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I just don't think the most compelling story for a Supergirl solo film would be her origin. Because any of her origins you choose to go with, it's still entirely dependent on pre-established mythology and characters. Supergirl's not Wonder Woman - she's a legacy character, in a world with an already established Justice League. Which means if you tell her origin, you're either gonna have to feature those "bigger" characters, or awkwardly dance around them like Supergirl S1. Either way, it takes the focus off her.

Which is why I'd prefer they own that aspect of her origin and just do it in a proper Justice League film with the other characters as is in the comics (they're already setting up Darkseid in the movies so it fits like a glove), then let her solo take place once she's already established as Supergirl - that way the adventure of her first solo film is entirely focused on her.
As said, I would love to see SoK brought to live action. But is that better in the comics or could they do it justice in the movies? Again, it would be a juggernaut to bring about, especially with so many hero characters having to be brought out and have camera time. And one of the things that would be lost, could be Kara's 'voyage' through the story line.

That's why I mentioned breaking up SoK into two movies. Have the first concerning Kara as it's primary focus, with it's own beginning, middle and definite end. This would of course have Kara, Kal and Bruce, and would require a new subplot, as the main Darkseid plot would be moved to the following movie.

'Easter eggs' of Darkseid seen in Part 1 would then open up into the main plot of Part 2. Here you would bring in Diana and the Amazons to join Superman and Batman as they all try to keep Kara out of Darkseid's hands.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #46
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
As said, I would love to see SoK brought to live action. But is that better in the comics or could they do it justice in the movies? Again, it would be a juggernaut to bring about, especially with so many hero characters having to be brought out and have camera time. And one of the things that would be lost, could be Kara's 'voyage' through the story line.

That's why I mentioned breaking up SoK into two movies. Have the first concerning Kara as it's primary focus, with it's own beginning, middle and definite end. This would of course have Kara, Kal and Bruce, and would require a new subplot, as the main Darkseid plot would be moved to the following movie.

'Easter eggs' of Darkseid seen in Part 1 would then open up into the main plot of Part 2. Here you would bring in Diana and the Amazons to join Superman and Batman as they all try to keep Kara out of Darkseid's hands.
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to this idea in theory, but I just don't see WB allowing Darkseid to be the villain in a Supergirl movie, for the same reason Marvel would never let Thanos be the villain in, say, a Captain Marvel movie, even if those two characters had history in the comics - he's too big. I think it's JL or bust with him.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #47
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

I certainly hope they don't end up killing Darkseid in JL. That's one thing these movies have to do, and that's to let the villain escape in order to have more fun later.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #48
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post

Have to say that I love the idea of a Rapunzel-inspired Supergirl!

A girl who can innocently bat her eyes without any guile, but still knows when it's time to swing the frying pan.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 PM   #49
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Have to say that I love the idea of a Rapunzel-inspired Supergirl!

A girl who can innocently bat her eyes without any guile, but still knows when it's time to swing the frying pan.
Which is pretty much most women that I know.....we have always known that honey gets the bee and the fly swatter keeps them humble.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 06-20-2017, 12:52 AM   #50
BH/HHH
You Are My World

My personal opinion is I'd prefer they introduce her like they did in Superman Unboubd where she's already here as Supergirl. The film could be set anytime after Justice League. Then you explore her origins in a prequel film, personally I'd rather they avoided that Jeff Loeb storyline from the comics. I think her origin should just be her and Clark. Darkseid should be saved to get taken down by the Justice League in a film where it's just the JL vs Darkseid.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote