The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #401
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My unpopular Star Wars opinion is that the series is 1-6 and nothing else; if I want to imagine what happens after RoTJ I read the books.
I'm not letting them waste my time and money with nonstop movies for the next 20yrs.

MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #402
BradenPickering
Come on, vogue!

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personally, I think Crystal Skull is a really great movie that blends in seamlessly alongside the rest of the series. What I thought worked most against it is that fun adventure films like that just aren’t received well in general these days by audiences, and that people only hold the original trilogy in such high regard out of some sense of nostalgia. Not to discredit them in any way – they ARE great films – but I’m also confident that if Raiders came out today people would poo allover that one, too. As it stands, Temple of doom is my favorite Indy movie overall.

Not so much an unpopular opinion, just an unpopular fact: I’ve never seen Star Wars.

The TMNT movies with Megan Fox are better than the originals, though I think we have yet to see a truly perfect Turtles movie.

The Ghostbusters reboot was my favorite film of 2016 and I still watch it at home on bluray about once a month. sure, it isn't the most profound thing you will ever see, but it's just a fun, feel-good movie with a few witty moments here and there.

BradenPickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #403
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradenPickering View Post
Personally, I think Crystal Skull is a really great movie that blends in seamlessly alongside the rest of the series. What I thought worked most against it is that fun adventure films like that just aren’t received well in general these days by audiences, and that people only hold the original trilogy in such high regard out of some sense of nostalgia. Not to discredit them in any way – they ARE great films – but I’m also confident that if Raiders came out today people would poo allover that one, too. As it stands, Temple of doom is my favorite Indy movie overall.

Not so much an unpopular opinion, just an unpopular fact: I’ve never seen Star Wars.

The TMNT movies with Megan Fox are better than the originals, though I think we have yet to see a truly perfect Turtles movie.

The Ghostbusters reboot was my favorite film of 2016 and I still watch it at home on bluray about once a month. sure, it isn't the most profound thing you will ever see, but it's just a fun, feel-good movie with a few witty moments here and there.
Ive only seen the first of the new TMNT movies. I didn't love it by any means, but it wasn't like offensively bad or anything, and I'd say it's the second best live action Turtles behind the 1990 one. Still need to see the sequel. Looks fun.

I watched Ghostbusters the other night for the first time. I really tried to go into it with an open mind... but it was one of the worst movies (with wide theatrical releases) I've ever seen. It failed on two levels. Not only was it a bad remake/reboot, but more so it was just a terrible movie, like it wasn't funny at all. I think either Kate McKinnon or Chris Hemsworth had one moment that gave me a slight chuckle, but that was it.

Regarding it as a remake/reboot... it just fell flat because it was like the exact opposite of the original in terms of comedy. It had no concept of subtlety or even deadpan humor. It was all loud, in your face, bad SNL sketch stuff. It was like none of the cast or crew saw the original, but maybe Paul Feig got a third hand description of the first movie and was told it was a comedy, and that's it.

I don't (just) blame the women (even though I generally only like one of them). The men involved (both cast and crew) are just as much to blame (actually more because of Feig).

Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #404
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Unpopular opinion: I wish there were more mainstream action movies with a 90 minute or so runtime. There's a time and a place for longer movies (like LOTR), but I find that a lot of movies these days feel kind of excessive, is there really a reason for a Transformers or a DC comics movie to be any longer than two hours, much less push 3 hours? I suppose people want to feel compensated for the price of admission, but I sort of prefer movies that are concise and don't go on any longer than they need to; probably because they're easier to rewatch.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #405
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootster View Post
Unpopular opinion: I wish there were more mainstream action movies with a 90 minute or so runtime. There's a time and a place for longer movies (like LOTR), but I find that a lot of movies these days feel kind of excessive, is there really a reason for a Transformers or a DC comics movie to be any longer than two hours, much less push 3 hours? I suppose people want to feel compensated for the price of admission, but I sort of prefer movies that are concise and don't go on any longer than they need to; probably because they're easier to rewatch.
100% agree. Deadpool, for example, was an hour and 48, which is a good half hour or more shorter than a lot of what we get, and it did the trick.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #406
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

I don't find Mad Max: Fury Road as amazing as everyone claims.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #407
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
I find MMFR to be great in terms of action and world building, but simple in terms of plot.

But to talk to FR fans you'd think this was the second coming of cinema, and that by even criticizing the plotting you are insulting the very best that cinema has to offer.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #408
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Since this is the Unpopular opinion thread, I might as well state this.

I find the first Godfather's visual aesthetic to be too "contained." I'd blame the cinematography, but it's more than that. It's where locations take place, how shots are edited together, the type of lensing/camera angles, etc.

That shot looks good on paper, but everything's framed in a way that it all feels close to each other.
Contrast it with
with this shot of Vertigo

Which, I feel, has a more "spacey" and epic style.

Combine that with dark lighting for most of the movie, and the experience is not unlike being
in a dark room for at least an hour and a half.

I'm also not fond of the dingy sepia tint that it has. Real 1940s photos tend to be more colorful, I find.

I have no problem with how part 2 looks (haven't seen part 3). I feel like there's more of a visual expanse in GF2
than in the first one.

NOTE: I have no problems with the storytelling. Just the aesthetics.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #409
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradenPickering View Post
Hope they have enough sense to make the next reboot completely animated.
Also, there will never be a perfect Turtles movie because it's that diverse of a franchise.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #410
NotSoLongAgo
#spidermansolit

Wonder woman wasn't that great. It was really, really average.

NotSoLongAgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #411
Rowsdower!
Banned User

How the f*** did Alien: Covenant get mostly good reviews? That movie was a steaming pile of elephant sh** fried in turpentine.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #412
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

Now that I finally watched the 1960 movie, I honestly preferred the 2016 remake of the Magnificent Seven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
How the f*** did Alien: Covenant get mostly good reviews? That movie was a steaming pile of elephant sh** fried in turpentine.
I wonder if I'll reach this conclusion when I finally watch it, sad thing though is I'll probably watch Prometheus beforehand, and that one is a movie that looks appalling to high degrees.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #413
Matt Mortem
Clever User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly. I don't remember the last time a movie disappointed me like that one did.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #414
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

I don't know if I said this here on in other site, I honestly can't remember, but the worst thing about Alien: Covenant is that it makes the original Alien retroactively worse, which is the biggest sin of a sequel/prequel.
Same thing that happened with Spectre ("it was all me") but even worse.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #415
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

I'm watching La La Land right now, and it's like a cartoon.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #416
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

An amazing cartoon.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #417
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I still like Johnny Depp and I'm kinda looking forward to the Invisible Man.Especially if it's a period piece and more horror-oriented than the Mummy.

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #418
Grootster
Dancing Tree

I can't remember if I said it here or not, but I don't really care for Arrival. Usually I don't mind slow, smart science fiction; but I thought that this movie was way too slow for what it was. I actually really enjoyed it when they were trying to learn the aliens' language, that was extremely well-done and smart, but then the movie goes into an ending that felt like something straight out of Star Trek or Doctor Who.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Their language IS the weapon, and it can transcend time!

If they wanted to go with this ending, the movie should have been upbeat and silly, with lots of corny banter. If they wanted to play it slow and straight, they should have changed the ending, it just felt so out of place in this story. It's probably also worth mentioning that I had no clue what happened during the last 10 or so minutes until I went home and read the synopsis on Wikipedia...and I grew up with bizarre sci-fi ideas in movies. I just didn't think that part was executed well.

On a side note, I thought the whole subplot with the main character's daughter (or was it son?) felt forced and really slowed down the movie. I also thought the implication at the end felt a little too on the nose, and I consider myself pro-life. (Although supposedly this wasn't even the director's intention.) And that montage...gosh. It's just a subplot that I kind of cringe when I think about. Again, It just didn't feel it was handled well.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #419
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Close Encounters still the best first contact movie.

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:55 AM   #420
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

I didn't find La La Land to be amazing, fun for sure, I'm willing to watch it more times, but not in urgency. Sorry Greens.

I enjoyed the 2016 Magnificent Seven more than the 1960 one, and I do mean enjoyed.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #421
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Arrival is dull as a stick to me. I don't need an action movie, and I didn't go in expecting one, but it was just boring.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #422
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

Time jump made me wonder every now and then, but the movie did it in a way that grabbed my attention even without ignoring it, and then I loved the end result.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #423
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I wonder if I'll reach this conclusion when I finally watch it, sad thing though is I'll probably watch Prometheus beforehand, and that one is a movie that looks appalling to high degrees.

Yeah, you need to watch Prometheus for Alien Covenant to make any lick of sense. But they both wholeheartedly suck, so that's five(?) hours of your life you're never getting back. The only thing amusing about them is how Ridley Scott apparently doesn't realize how sh**ty they both are. They're both so overwhelmingly pretentious that the films fail to realize how idiotic all of its main characters are. And while that does kind of play into the narrative that humans are all a**holes and have a tendency to bite off more than they can chew in terms of personal glory and asserting their dominance over things, it gets to a point where you'll be saying to yourself, "OH, COME ON. NO ONE COULD BE THIS F***ING STUPID."

As I've said before, Prometheus is basically like a pretentious, deep-space version of Hostel (just replace "stupid Americans in Europe" with "stupid humans on an alien planet"). And from the previews, Alien Covenant looked like a pretentious, deep space version of Sleepaway Camp or Friday the 13th, but is instead... ugh, I don't even know, man. It felt like a vanity project for Scott and Fassbender - the former wanted to give a "f*** you" to Neil Blomkamp and everyone who though that he might make a better Alien film than Ridley, and the latter gets to chew scenery while every other character barely registers.

Catherine Waterson does nothing but look like she's about to bawl her eyes out for the first hour and a half before the script tries to turn her into Ellen Ripley in the last act. Danny McBride plays Danny McBride because if you've ever seen Danny McBride in anything, you'll know that he can only play Danny McBride so if you're going to hire Danny McBride, be prepared to spend a couple hours with Danny McBride. Billy Crudup is there basically to be your typical weak idiot in a position of power. James Franco and Noomi Rapace at least had the good sense to get killed off before the movie really starts. I don't even remember any of the other characters. I'm sure they all had names and the actors that played them have probably been memorable in some other films but they're all just albino xenomorph-fodder here. Oh yeah, that's the other thing that's kind of annoying. We don't even see the old school xenomorphs until way late in the movie. Throughout most of the film, our "heroes" get chased around by these ugly-ass, chalk-white aliens that look like the Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth. That actually makes sense within the context of the movie and I'm all for new alien designs but for whatever reason, these creatures just didn't do it for me. I'm probably just nitpicking on that one though.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #424
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
I felt the sand storm scene was epic and some of the shots were beautiful. But the movie overall was nothing to make me walk away with my mind blown. I will say Tom Hardy was a likable character considering he mostly didn't speak.

Lois Lane
Jessica Chastain, Natalie Dormer, Scarlett Johansson

MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #425
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MydnightPhoenix View Post
I felt the sand storm scene was epic and some of the shots were beautiful. But the movie overall was nothing to make me walk away with my mind blown. I will say Tom Hardy was a likable character considering he mostly didn't speak.
Hardy has kind of that De Niro thing where he doesn't need much dialogue to establish a character, IMO.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote