The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

View Poll Results: Who is the best Boxer of all time?
Mike Tyson 2 5.00%
Muhammad Ali 15 37.50%
Sugar Ray Robinson 5 12.50%
Floyd Mayweather 3 7.50%
Manny Pacquiao 2 5.00%
Jack Dempsey 0 0%
Joe Louis 1 2.50%
Larry Holmes 0 0%
Shane Mosley 0 0%
Lennox Lewis 0 0%
Joe Frazier 0 0%
George Foreman 0 0%
Sonny Liston 0 0%
Rocky Marciano 6 15.00%
Evander Holyfield 1 2.50%
Nikolai Valuev 0 0%
Oscar De La Hoya 0 0%
Roy Jones Jr 1 2.50%
Sugar Ray Leonard 1 2.50%
Other 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2018, 03:47 AM   #451
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

I hope he takes Ortiz as seriously as he needs to. Wilder should win, but he has quite a few holes in his game that someone is going to exploit sooner or later...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #452
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I hope he takes Ortiz as seriously as he needs to. Wilder should win, but he has quite a few holes in his game that someone is going to exploit sooner or later...
I'll give Wilder props for taking potentially dangerous fights. I used to LOVE heavyweight fights, but, frankly, when those interested me, there were some pretty good fighters in the division. I'm not saying there still aren't, but it seems to me that the overall level of competition has gone down. Contrast that with the lighter divisions (126, 135, 147, 160.....can you tell my bias against "super" and "junior" divisions??). Man, these are just better fights these days.

I'll be watching.....I want to see "great"....I just don't see it very often.

I'll give you all one guess at that guy I think has a chance to be on this list. Hint.....it isn't Mikey Garcia....

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #453
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

And while I'm at it, stripping Rigo of the belt is BS. If you're going to do it, do it because of inactivity and not because a guy is stepping up.

This kind of crap is exactly what's wrong with boxing. You have all these bungholes protecting "their" turf. I hope Rigo gets back at a weight comfortable to him and knocks the living $#!T out of someone put forward by the WBA. I hope he knocks the "Jesus" out of Gilberto Jesus Mendoza's name.

Let's have a governing body and add a little bit of integrity to the sport. And, for good measure, they can knock "Honest" Bob Arum back into the hole he should never have crawled out of.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #454
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Boxing seems to be getting worse. I was hoping Hayman would have done something with PBC just to get some what control over it. Right now it's way to divided with so many promotions refusing to work with each other. Sorry but I see so many biases that are so obvious. Can't stress enough at how bias Dan Rafael is with Top Rank and bashes everyone else. It's so hard to read ESPN boxing articles because of it. Manny is rumored to be fighting Mike Alvarado or some other no name.......it's hard to like this crap what is going on.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #455
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
Boxing seems to be getting worse. I was hoping Hayman would have done something with PBC just to get some what control over it. Right now it's way to divided with so many promotions refusing to work with each other. Sorry but I see so many biases that are so obvious. Can't stress enough at how bias Dan Rafael is with Top Rank and bashes everyone else. It's so hard to read ESPN boxing articles because of it. Manny is rumored to be fighting Mike Alvarado or some other no name.......it's hard to like this crap what is going on.
The whole system needs to be torn down and rebuilt brick by brick. Unfortunately, it will never, ever happen unless there is a scandal that completely rocks the entire establishment. I mean it would probably literally require multiple organizations hiring assassins to take out malcontents and reporting this as an expenses in order to reduce their corporate taxes. Even then....I'm not 100% sure.....

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #456
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Spence vs Peterson next weekend. I expect Spence to put on a clinic and stop Peterson, though I kind of feel he's Spence toughest defense being a slick fighter. I really don't think Crawford will fight Spence any time soon and not as high on him as people are. Sorry but Bud was touched by a guy 2 weight classes smaller than him and hasn't really faced a lot of slick fighters. Time will tell but I can see Porter, Thurman or Spence stopping Crawford.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #457
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Spence vs Peterson next weekend. I expect Spence to put on a clinic and stop Peterson, though I kind of feel he's Spence toughest defense being a slick fighter. I really don't think Crawford will fight Spence any time soon and not as high on him as people are. Sorry but Bud was touched by a guy 2 weight classes smaller than him and hasn't really faced a lot of slick fighters. Time will tell but I can see Porter, Thurman or Spence stopping Crawford.
This is a PPV. Right? I almost NEVER buy those. Does anyone know off the top of their heads how much they are charging in the states? I've sort of tried to figure out a way around paying, but, honestly, haven't tried too hard because it's probably fairer to wait until they air on HBO or Showtime or whatever. I rather expect Spence to win, but wouldn't be shocked if Peterson pulled a rabbit out of his hat. It seems rather unlikely though.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #458
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Nah it's on free tv. I want to say Fox but not exactly sure. I'm not sure how PBC exactly works these days.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #459
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Nah it's on free tv. I want to say Fox but not exactly sure. I'm not sure how PBC exactly works these days.
Oh cool. I was poking around looking at the fight and saw something that said PPV so I assumed it was the fight. Glad I was wrong. It was probably some other upcoming event.

EDIT: Showtime.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 01-12-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #460
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

You're right. I just saw that it was coming on Showtime as well. Looking forward to it.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #461
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Crawford's decent IMO, but I definitely need to see more. He can be touched, certainly, and in terms of him facing Spence, that would lead to a short night. Errol, I believe, will prove himself to be the class of the division by a pretty decent margin when it's all said and done...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #462
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Crawford's decent IMO, but I definitely need to see more. He can be touched, certainly, and in terms of him facing Spence, that would lead to a short night. Errol, I believe, will prove himself to be the class of the division by a pretty decent margin when it's all said and done...
When it comes to anything, I want to see spectacular. I think Spence has that potential and a fight between him and Crawford would answer a lot of questions. I don't, however, want to necessarily see him step up in weight class just to prove how great he is. I would advise anyone to stay at a comfortable weight. I feel the same way for Crawford, Spence, Lomachenko, Rigondeaux, etc.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 01-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #463
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
When it comes to anything, I want to see spectacular. I think Spence has that potential and a fight between him and Crawford would answer a lot of questions. I don't, however, want to necessarily see him step up in weight class just to prove how great he is. I would advise anyone to stay at a comfortable weight. I feel the same way for Crawford, Spence, Lomachenko, Rigondeaux, etc.
The weight thing I'm sort of 50/50 on, as you probably know by now. The level of competition (and money of course) has always dictated guys moving up or down, so eventually that becomes the path to take. Crawford's already angling to fight Jeff Horn I believe, so at this stage of his career, I feel it's necessary for him to face that next challenge...

- Kobe Bryant

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #464
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
The weight thing I'm sort of 50/50 on, as you probably know by now. The level of competition (and money of course) has always dictated guys moving up or down, so eventually that becomes the path to take. Crawford's already angling to fight Jeff Horn I believe, so at this stage of his career, I feel it's necessary for him to face that next challenge...
My step father used to love the horse races. So much so that I decided to try and take a crack at developing a multiple regression formula that would predict outcomes with some level of consistency (failed miserably, but the reason why was pretty funny). I don't follow this, but I remember that they used (still do?) just pile more and more weight on the better horses. I know it's not a perfect analogy, but there's something to it. Compete where you are at a comfortable weight. Sometimes, the prize is so lucrative, that you just have to take the chance and I'm okay with that, but be aware of what you're doing. IMO, Lightweight and Welterweight are rather glamorous classes. Lomo is moving up in weight (already has) and as long as he doesn't jump up too much and end up fighting much bigger guys, he's going to do just fine. I would caution any fighter about stepping up unless you're comfortable.

I wouldn't overly worry about Horn if I were Crawford.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #465
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Easter v Fortuna....good call by the ref in round 1 for holding and hitting. Terrible call on deducting a point from Fortuna in round 2. I don't know these guys, but they're close enough that stamina may determine the winner. Easter already looks just a little bit slower at the end of round 2.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #466
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Spence looked good last night but fancy Thurman to beat him when/if the fight happens.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #467
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Nah man. I got Spence beating Thurman. Thurman clearly is avoiding that fight and when someone does that, they see something we don't. Or maybe they are just letting it marinate. I have Spence beating Crawford, dare I say easily. The only one I think that will give Spence problems maybe Porter because of his mauling style.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #468
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Thurman had shoulder surgery last year though. Still isn't in top fighting condition. it takes a while to recover and have a fully functioning shoulder/arm again after that kind of surgery.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #469
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Thurman had shoulder surgery last year though. Still isn't in top fighting condition. it takes a while to recover and have a fully functioning shoulder/arm again after that kind of surgery.
Nah I get that he had an injury but even before that, he would stutter when someone mentioned Spence. I've never seen One-time do that before, and I'm a Thurman fan. I just think it's a bad match up for him.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #470
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Spence looked good last night but fancy Thurman to beat him when/if the fight happens.
He DID look good. Very strong, good power and accuracy from either side, and very polished. The thing that I noted is that he is somewhat predictable with his punches; both when he throws them and the angles he throws them from. At about round 4, I thought "this looks like it'll go about 8". He was clearly started to break Peterson down. Mikey Garcia better stay the hell away from him.

I bring up the predictability because, to everyone's shock, I'm going to bring up a fighter who is completely unpredictable and his name is Lomachenko. The thing that puts him in a different class is his footwork, punching angles, and motor. This guy just does not seem to get tired. Could he beat Spence? I very, very much doubt it. At that weight, NO one belongs in the ring with a guy whose normal weight is 17 pounds more than yours. I think back to the great Alexis Arguello when he got into the ring with Aaron Pryor. Even for Arguello, Pryor was just too big and strong (and an outstanding fighter in his own right).

This kid Easter better run, not walk away from a Lomachenko fight. I heard a lot of talk about his physical attributes and how good he was (mainly from him), but that guy will get his @$$ handed to him by more than one lightweight. He could easily have lost that fight last night. In fact, I thought he did.

So, fun night and an impressive performance by Spence. Really, really nice fighter and I could see him running the table in the welterweight division.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #471
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

I can actually see Mikey Garcia stopping Lomo. He really reminds me of Manny with his offense.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #472
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
I can actually see Mikey Garcia stopping Lomo. He really reminds me of Manny with his offense.
There are no smiles to express how funny I find that.

This is what I heard....

Rigo is faster, a better boxer, and hits harder than Lomachenko. Lomo is bigger and may catch up to him after round 5 or 6.

I thought it "might" be somewhat competitive for the first 4 rounds, but wasn't the least bit surprised that the faster, better boxer, who puts his combinations together better just schooled Rigo.

Mikey's a very good fighter, but he's no Manny, would get the living crap knocked out of him by Spence and outclassed by Lomo. It's boxing and anything can happen, but Mikey stopping Lomo is on the outer edges of the Outer Limits.

I see no future for Mikey stepping up to welter. None.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 01-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #473
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

I meant Lomo reminds me of Manny. And I stick by what I said about Mikey stopping Lomo. We just agree to disagree on that one.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #474
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
I meant Lomo reminds me of Manny. And I stick by what I said about Mikey stopping Lomo. We just agree to disagree on that one.
Yup. We disagree and that's cool. I misunderstood about who you were comparing to Manny. I would say that Lomo has that aggression, but is BY FAR a more skilled offensive and defensive fighter. From a talent perspective, I'd rank Manny in the same ballpark, but he never had Lomo's technique. Mikey is about the same size as Lomo and I'd LOVE to see that fight. With all of the changes in Mikey's schedule, it's a shame exploring a fight with Lomo didn't appear to be part of the agenda.

Do you think Mikey has a future as a welter? After watching Spence, I don't. That is a very tough division and always has been, but, right now, I give Spence a leg up on everyone else (EDIT: and I'm talking about people who are legit welters....Mikey will be cannon fodder if he steps up against a top flight welter). There are some very interesting fights on the horizon in that division, but Mikey doesn't have much of a chance in that mix.

www.cloudvistas.com

Last edited by InCali; 01-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #475
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

No!!! Mikey needs to stay at 140 max! All these guys going up in weight to go to 147 is not only crazy but dangerous. As far as Lomo, I think he reminds me of Manny offensively but he's slightly better defensively but that's because Manny's offense was his defense. And I'm just not sold on Lomo because one thing Arum knows how to do is build a star. He did it with Floyd, he did it with Manny, did it with Crawford and he's doing it with Lomo. Just careful planning.