The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
Luke234
Banned User

Default The Ultimate Goal

I'm a tremendous fan of man of steel and BVS. Im happy where these movies were going but I think it's very important that for the heroes to be a big success, they can't just save the world. They have to make it better than it was before they, and the "super villains" were ever on the scene.
Something huge like the elimination of nuclear weapons, solving world hunger.. whatever.
I love this Superman but he did, unknowingly, and unintentionally caused the earth some damage so far.
I think that's fine. There's a lot of drama in that. But with Superman almost being a living God, I think Superman does need to do something to inspire people to make the Earth a noticeably better place. For a real payoff, I think in the end the world really has to have changed like never before. How so, I'm not sure.
I'd be interested if anyone had any thoughts on this idea. If you've maybe thought of this or is the world existing through their heroism, enough?

Last edited by Luke234; 01-21-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Luke234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Default Re: The Ultimate Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke234 View Post
I'm a tremendous fan of man of steel and BVS. Im happy where these movies were going but I think it's very important that for the heroes to be a big success, they can't just save the world. They have to make it better than it was before they, and the "super villains" were ever on the scene.
Something huge like the elimination of nuclear weapons, solving world hunger.. whatever.
I love this Superman but he did, unknowingly, and unintentionally caused the earth some damage so far.
I think that's fine. There's a lot of drama in that. But with Superman almost being a living God, I think Superman does need to do something to inspire people to make the Earth a noticeably better place. For a real payoff, I think in the end the world really has to have changed like never before. How so, I'm not sure.
I'd be interested if anyone had any thoughts on this idea. If you've maybe thought of this or is the world existing through their heroism, enough?
Ridding the world of nuclear weapons was the plot of Superman IV, and that was a major flop.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
idiot09
Kicks side

There is a great comic called "Superman : Peace on Earth" where Superman tries to solve global hunger. BvS had a lot of visual inspiration from that comic. Its a good read.

idiot09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Ridding the world of nuclear weapons was the plot of Superman IV, and that was a major flop.
I'm very sad about that. I remember seeing it back in 1988. The idea itself is brilliant - and Christopher Reeve's short speech at the UN (as Superman) is pretty amazing, better than anything in B v S. That alone is worth seeing the film for, if you're a fan of Superman. I get quite emotional while watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82TzfWMWJJ0

For myself, I would rather watch Superman IV than B v S. As while Superman IV is a terrible movie, it still captures the essential quality that makes Superman an iconic character - his essential goodness and commitment to making the world a better place (and of course brilliantly performed by Reeve, I mean, in that awful film the one good thing was Reeve's portrayal of Superman, there's a reason why it's still so powerful even after 40 years).

Superman IV was a great concept, but dreadfully executed. As if Michaelangelo had the Cistine chapel planned out in his head, and then got a 5 year old to do it with finger paints.

To be honest, with the right execution I don't see why the idea of Superman enforcing disarmament couldn't work (Injustice:Gods Among us deals with similar ideas in a different context ).

Cheers.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote