The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Do you like the Donner Films because of Nostalgia?
Yes, I was a kid when I first saw them. 6 10.17%
No, I like them because I think they're good movies. 31 52.54%
I liked them as a kid and still like them now, but not because of nostalgia 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #126
GreasyPop
Banned User

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
If it was mostly nostalgia then Superman 4 would be well regarded also.

STM is a groundbreaking classic. This iconic dialogue, music and scenes, Reeve's performance, the flawless origin story, the optimism that captures Superman's character, etc.

It doesn't need rose colored glasses.
I mostly agree. I wasn't referring to Superman: The Movie specifically, but more about why people wouldn't admit to simply liking something based on nostalgia alone if they wanted their opinion to be taken seriously.

GreasyPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #127
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
If it was mostly nostalgia then Superman 4 would be well regarded also.

STM is a groundbreaking classic. This iconic dialogue, music and scenes, Reeve's performance, the flawless origin story, the optimism that captures Superman's character, etc.

It doesn't need rose colored glasses.
I agree though SUperman 4 wasn't even well regarded when it came out in 1987.if your fan of Reeve's superman it may be watchable and a film you may watch once in awhile as a guilty pleasure.

the first superman is contender for the best comic book films ever.As is SUperman II.both Superman III & IV aren't considered to be best comic book films.obviously they are guilty plesure films to some mainly reeve fans.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #128
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I just watched Superman: The Movie on Netflix for the first time in probably 30 years. As a boy I remember not liking Reeve because his Clark was so nerdy and was always being picked on. Now watching it in my 40s I so enjoy his subtlety and how his Superman is actually a different character from his Clark. Clark is the disguise and Superman seems amused to be the buffoon. It's really quite brilliant. I love Gene Hackman as Lex because, let's face it: he's Gene friggin Hackman. Everyone seems to be having a blast and it feels larger than life. Margot Kidder is definitely the weak spot as her Lois is kind of grating but she was better than I remembered.

In all, I'd say it is high quality and not simply the result of nostalgia.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 AM   #129
DawnOfJustice16
Side-Kick

I like Lester's Superman 2 and Donner's Superman The Movie because they are good films .

DawnOfJustice16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #130
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

With all the bashing of the current DCEU it has made me take a different perspective on the CR films and see more of their mistakes.

MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #131
Flint Marko
teh marvel bias

How is that a valid reason to re-evaluate a film?

Homecoming - 7.7.2017
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #132
I Am The Knight
Pray for DC fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
How is that a valid reason to re-evaluate a film?
Pettyness

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #133
titansupes
Side-Kick

How ridiculous.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #134
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyPop View Post
I mostly agree. I wasn't referring to Superman: The Movie specifically, but more about why people wouldn't admit to simply liking something based on nostalgia alone if they wanted their opinion to be taken seriously.
I don't see anything negative about honesty in that department. There are many shows and movies that have flaws which have disclosed themselves to me over time, but they still conjure pleasant childhood feelings.

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:16 PM   #135
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Hey lantern. GO CATS!!!!

Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #136
Luke234
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyPop View Post
Why would anyone freely admit to liking a film based on nostalgia? That's just asking for people to dismiss you out of hand. People want their opinions heard and respected. Saying you love something because you loved it as kid isn't going to do that. And to be Frank, saying you like something simply of the nostalgia is a good enough reason to not take someone seriously. There is nothing wrong with nostalgia as long as you can put it into context. But if you blindly love and defend something just because of nostalgia and ignore any and all criticisms...well, that's not a good thing.
I like the film for pure nostalgia. I would call it a guilty pleasure if not for all the cringeworthy moments , I consider to be very not heroic. But I live seeing such a great guy like Christopher Reeve on screen healthy.
I freely admit it. I like it for nostalgia sake. It's a kid/ family film. It was incredibly hokey. So feel free to not take me seriously.

Luke234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:55 PM   #137
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
Hey lantern. GO CATS!!!!
I like the way you think.

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #138
Tra-El
Side-Kick

I still think out of all the Reeve films, Superman: The Movie holds up the most. It's special in every sense of the word and true cinema art. I recently watched Superman II with a group of people and they couldn't get through it so Superman II certainly doesn't hold up to some and even I find some of it grinding to get through, but the nostalgia will forever tug at my heartstrings, no question.

Suicide Squad : 2
Wonder Woman: 3
Justice League
Aquaman
Tra-El is online now   Reply With Quote