The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Do you like the Donner Films because of Nostalgia?
Yes, I was a kid when I first saw them. 6 10.17%
No, I like them because I think they're good movies. 31 52.54%
I liked them as a kid and still like them now, but not because of nostalgia 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

I'm Curious. It seems like a few people on the Hype nowadays believe you can only enjoy these films if you wear rose colored glasses.

Last edited by The Batman; 09-14-2016 at 02:06 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

I voted option 2 because at the end of the day, nostalgia or not, I like them because they're good movies. Frankly they're the only good Superman movies.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

No, I like them because of Christopher Reeve's undeniably perfect performance and John William's iconic score. I didn't watch these movies when I was young, and while I admit that they're not my favorite superhero films, they still hold up for a variety of reasons.

#STOPAVI2017
#ENDSONY2017
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Of course theres a certain ain't of nostalgia there but I like them because they're great movies and IMO Superman the Movie is still the best CBM of all time.

#TEAM SNYDER
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
nyyarod
yippee ki-yay mf!

I like them because I enjoy them as movies.

nyyarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

They great because they are great movies.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Zarex
Side-Kick

Lots of heart, fantastic music and terrific performances, especially by Kidder and Reeves. The two films hold up quite nicely after nearly four decades.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Fincher
Too far gone

I don't like the first one at all. The second one I liked as a kid and still like because it's good.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
BlueLanternKal
Super-Lex

I genuinely like Superman II. S:TM, nostalgia glasses.

MoS is still the best Superman movie.

BlueLanternKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Of course theres a certain ain't of nostalgia there but I like them because they're great movies and IMO Superman the Movie is still the best CBM of all time.
Agreed. For my money, Richard Donner's 1978 masterpiece is still the greatest superhero film ever made. If you ask, Chris Nolan, Sam Raimi and Bryan Singer, they'll all tell you the same thing.

Even Patty Jenkins cited STM, as her source of inspiration for Wonder Woman (at Comic Con) (2:00)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

It's definitely the most historical significant. It created this genre. It literally is is the blueprint for the modern superhero film.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider View Post
Agreed. For my money, Richard Donner's 1978 masterpiece is still the greatest superhero film ever made. If you ask, Chris Nolan, Sam Raimi and Bryan Singer, they'll all tell you the same thing.

Even Patty Jenkins cited STM, as her source of inspiration for Wonder Woman (at Comic Con) (2:00)

It's definitely the most historical significant. It created this genre. It literally is is the blueprint for the modern superhero film.

#TEAM SNYDER
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #12
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

I think they are legitimately good movies anchored by arguably the greatest performance by a lead actor in a CBM (the other candidate being RDJ). The sequel also has one of the genre's greatest villains.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I think they're good films, period. And the practical effects always impress me.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
MbJ
Side-Kick

I was born in the 90's so I didn't see them until well after they were released. I think they hold up as legitimately good movies, barring a few problems (I don't really care for Hackman as Luthor, even though he is an immensely talented actor).

Reeve is also one of the few instances where I've ever actually been able to buy that people think Clark and Superman are two separate people.

MbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #15
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

To be honest, it is out of nostalgia because those movies have not aged well. I showed them to my kids a few years ago and they thought they were silly with the "flying around the earth fast enough to turn back time" thing and all the new weird powers SM and the other Kryptonians got in the FOS in II. It all seemed so dated.

HaplessHenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #16
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaplessHenchman View Post
To be honest, it is out of nostalgia because those movies have not aged well. I showed them to my kids a few years ago and they thought they were silly with the "flying around the earth fast enough to turn back time" thing and all the new weird powers SM and the other Kryptonians got in the FOS in II. It all seemed so dated.
Chris Reeve gave a great performance but , for me they haven't aged well. I hated Lex even at the time and Margot Kidder's Lois is not my favorite either.

The action was pretty unexciting and plot cringworthy even at the time for me. I tired watching the first two recently and really only enjoyed Reeve. However he almost carries the whole movie he does so well.

Terrance Stamp as Zod was pretty cool in the 2nd film also

Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 AM   #17
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

I loved them as a kid, but for me they haven't aged well at all and as I have gotten older I like them less and less and genuinely struggle to get through them now. Reeve and the score are still great, and the first hour or so of Superman 1 is still gold, but I struggle to get through the rest personally.

1)Logan-9.5(2)John Wick 2-8(3)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(4)Ghost In The Shell-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #18
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I loved them as a kid, but for me they haven't aged well at all and as I have gotten older I like them less and less and genuinely struggle to get through them now. Reeve and the score are still great, and the first hour or so of Superman 1 is still gold, but I struggle to get through the rest personally.
My thoughts exactly. At least concerning the first one. I did like Zod in 2 and the bomb in Eiffel tower was a good situation for Superman to handle. Oh, and Lois trying to expose Clark is amusing.

AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
Bruce_Begins
I'm real when it's useful

Superman the movie was ahead of it's time, in terms of effects and ideas, the movie itself feels like three separate mini-movies tied together.

The Krypton part is straight up SciFi stuff, the Smallville scenes are executed brilliantly having a 'grounded" feel to it though Clark displays some of his super-powers.

The actual Superman and Metropolis scenes have a campy take though towards the end tone changes a bit.

Overall, it's still an amazing movie.

Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #20
Bruce_Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider View Post

Yeah, STM inspired a lot of current directors, like you said, Chris Nolan, Sam Raimi, Bryan Singer and Patty Jenkins regard it highly, and it influenced them a lot.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Effects may seem a tad dated and Superman's boy-scout mentality may not gel with the more cynical society of today, but I still enjoy both Superman and Superman II (more so the Richard Donner cut) because they still hold up as enjoyable films. And as others have said, Superman kicked off the trend. Had Superman crashed and burned, who knows where comic book films would be today?

Plus, killing off the main character's love interest, even if temporarily, was still a ballsy move. Not to mention seeing Lois get buried alive in that earthquake still looks terrifying to me.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #22
Bruce_Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Effects may seem a tad dated and Superman's boy-scout mentality may not gel with the more cynical society of today, but I still enjoy both Superman and Superman II (more so the Richard Donner cut) because they still hold up as enjoyable films. And as others have said, Superman kicked off the trend. Had Superman crashed and burned, who knows where comic book films would be today?

Plus, killing off the main character's love interest, even if temporarily, was still a ballsy move. Not to mention seeing Lois get buried alive in that earthquake still looks terrifying to me.

Agreed, and I am still amazed by how real this scene looks.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #23
Rowsdower!
You'll float too.

The first one is and always will be a classic. Reeve is absolutely perfect as Superman and while some things are a bit dated and goofy like the spinning-the-earth-backwards thing at the end, it's still an amazing film and absolutely the best Superman film.

The second one is also very good, I just wish they'd scaled back on some of the corny elements, like the way Lex escapes from prison and all that. Still it's a fun movie and Terrance Stamp's Zod is iconic.

It's a shame that they didn't make a third film that was up to par with the first two. I guess it was the first example of the "threequel curse" in the superhero genre.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #24
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Im not a fan of those movies in general, they are too campy for my tastes. Plus the out of no where powers. reversing time, throwing the S, kiss memory erasing powers.

Ratings:

Man of Steel: 9/10, Xmen First Class: 8/10, Winter Soldier: 9/10, BvS: 7/10, Civil War: 7/10
SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #25
Bruce_Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
Im not a fan of those movies in general, they are too campy for my tastes. Plus the out of no where powers. reversing time, throwing the S, kiss memory erasing powers.
Superman 2 Richard Donner cut is much less campy and it basically has 50 % new footage (instead of Lester's) and it looks better, though I really consider it a step down from STM.