The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Do you like the Donner Films because of Nostalgia?
Yes, I was a kid when I first saw them. 6 10.17%
No, I like them because I think they're good movies. 31 52.54%
I liked them as a kid and still like them now, but not because of nostalgia 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #51
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

I haven't seen these films in their entirety in a long time. The last time I came across Superman II I felt it didn't hold up well.

The last few times I've come across scenes from the first film I still like the Kypton and Smallville sequences. The second half of the film not as much.

Turning back time never bothered me. The film had built up so much goodwill thanks to Reeve, that I accepted it.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #52
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
But it does hold up. Some dated fx don't make it a bad movie. I can't speak for everyone but the movie still draws me in. Given how the movie is still held up as one of the all time greats, including by notable people like Raimi and Nolan, it is a movie that was definitely made by people who understand comic books.
When people say things like "Donner didn't understand the comics", I have to wonder if they really mean "Donner didn't understand post crisis comics."

Spinning around the earth to travel through time, the amnesia kiss, Superman defeating krytonian villains by outhinking them, etc....all from the comics. People dislike Clark roughing up a bully? Superman used to do things like that in the golden age: use his powers to attack non powered people who were all manner of jerks.

I'm glad Bond films don't often get this type of scrutiny: "People only like Goldfinger because of nostalgia." "Goldfinger was good for its time, but now its too campy..."

Old 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #53
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
When people say things like "Donner didn't understand the comics", I have to wonder if they really mean "Donner didn't understand post crisis comics."

Spinning around the earth to travel through time, the amnesia kiss, Superman defeating krytonian villains by outhinking them, etc....all from the comics. People dislike Clark roughing up a bully? Superman used to do things like that in the golden age: use his powers to attack non powered people who were all manner of jerks.

I'm glad Bond films don't often get this type of scrutiny: "People only like Goldfinger because of nostalgia." "Goldfinger was good for its time, but now its too campy..."
Exactly.

Frankly its rather insulting when people say the only reason certain old school movies are loved is because of nostalgia. Just can't wrap their heads around the notion people genuinely think they're great movies.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #54
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Exactly.

Frankly its rather insulting when people say the only reason certain old school movies are loved is because of nostalgia. Just can't wrap their heads around the notion people genuinely think they're great movies.
It's insulting and it reeks of arrogance. "Well, I don't like this, so there must be something up with people who do."

Last edited by The Batman; 09-17-2016 at 05:53 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #55
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
It does happen, particularly from the diehard Fleming novel fans. But Goldfinger was a huge worldwide cultural phenomenon, the Star Wars or Jurassic Park of its day, so they don't gain much headway.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #56
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Thankfully. Honestly, I think some of the current sentiments about STM/SII will die down once another new film incarnation gets up and running.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #57
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

All things considered looking at the poll, they are doing admirably well will the bulk of the votes going for people liking them because they think they are good movies and not nostalgia.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #58
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
All things considered looking at the poll, they are doing admirably well will the bulk of the votes going for people liking them because they think they are good movies and not nostalgia.
Yeah, I don't think there is any real significant backlash to the first two Superman films, even now.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #59
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Honestly, given the quality of Superman movies we've gotten for the last thirty years, it just makes me appreciate the first two films that much more.

But they are legitimately great movies in their own right.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 09-17-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #60
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Yeah, I don't think there is any real significant backlash to the first two Superman films, even now.
This is true. Polls help keep things in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Honestly, given the quality of Superman movies we've gotten for the last thirty years, it just makes me appreciate the first two films that much more.
This is pretty much how I've felt since MOS.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #61
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

First two Reeve movies are best Superman movies. They understand Superman and great movies too.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #62
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't like them, but I respect them. However, recent screen incarnations have caused me to appreciate them more.

Superman: The Animated Series remains my go-to screen adaptation of Superman.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #63
Boom
I got nothin'

I enjoy Superman II well enough, but I've never been very big on it.

Superman the Movie, however, remains one of the best superhero films ever made.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #64
Lantern Venom
Scourge of Lego Lovers

Quote:

..."
I won't pretend like I've read every Superman story in his nearly eight-decade-long history, but I've certainly read my fair share. Outside of Elseworld stories, I can't think of any examples of him being selfish or a super-powered ruffian. Yes, there have been stories where he has wondered if his life as a hero is too costly to the world or his loved ones, but never choosing his own happiness over the well-being of the entire world.

I also don't remember him ever having a mean streak where he sought revenge on humans, especially when his own mistakes put him in the bad situation. There have been times when he's been understandably emotional, and even times when he's felt the need to use lethal force (ala Hank Henshaw), but I've never heard of him being SuperBully. I can't even imagine the New 52 Superman, who was often criticized for being arrogant by longtime Supes/ DC fans, lacking a sense of nobility to the point of using his powers to seek revenge.

"I'm a person just like you, but I've got better things to do than sit around and smoke dope, 'cause I know that I can cope. Laugh at the thought of eating ludes. Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue. Always gonna keep in touch; never want to use a crutch. I've got the Straight Edge." --MINOR THREAT
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:18 AM   #65
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Superman II is my type of sequel. It increased the stakes and gave the hero a dilemma and lesson to learn. I think it's the better film for those reasons, even though the original is the more widely accepted classic. Both films have buckets of charm, too.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #66
Superchan
Side-Kick

Well superman the movie is one of my top 5 films of all time in the company of prestigious films likes the shawshank redemption, the life of others, gattaca and terminator 2 so I guess nostalgia does come into play here but nostalgia or not doesn't change the fact that superman the movie is a great superhero movie that influenced the likes of bryan singer, sam raimi and Chris nolan (who admittedly modeled batman begins on STM).
Superman 2 is a different story. The lester version is very tachy and dated IMO while the donner version is solid but somewhat uneven (to no fault of donner's since he only finished 70% of the film and had to patch the rest up with some of lester's rubbish).

Quote:
I watched these movies for the first time this year, well, at least all the way through from beginning to end for the first time, sorry Superman fans, I think they are both pretty mediocre movies. Just too cheesy for me. I'll take Henry Cavill, Michael Shannon & Man Of Steel over Reeve, Stamp & either of these movies. Blasphemy I know, but I just couldn't get into these movies.
It's all good dude, atleast you gave em a fair shake.

Last edited by Superchan; 09-18-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #67
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's insulting and it reeks of arrogance. "Well, I don't like this, so there must be something up with people who do."
True but that happens all the time ways. Folks who like the current films get told the same thing. Might be just part of human nature. Being aware of it though is a good thing so one doesn't fall into that trap.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #68
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
True but that happens all the time ways. Folks who like the current films get told the same thing. Might be just part of human nature. Being aware of it though is a good thing so one doesn't fall into that trap.

#TEAM SNYDER
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #69
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
I won't pretend like I've read every Superman story in his nearly eight-decade-long history, but I've certainly read my fair share. Outside of Elseworld stories, I can't think of any examples of him being selfish or a super-powered ruffian. Yes, there have been stories where he has wondered if his life as a hero is too costly to the world or his loved ones, but never choosing his own happiness over the well-being of the entire world.

I also don't remember him ever having a mean streak where he sought revenge on humans, especially when his own mistakes put him in the bad situation. There have been times when he's been understandably emotional, and even times when he's felt the need to use lethal force (ala Hank Henshaw), but I've never heard of him being SuperBully. I can't even imagine the New 52 Superman, who was often criticized for being arrogant by longtime Supes/ DC fans, lacking a sense of nobility to the point of using his powers to seek revenge.
He burns through Lombard's chair leg and makes him tip over in Superman: Brainiac when he makes a comment toward Lois . He breaks Samson and Atlas's arms in All-Star Superman when they do something similar (seems he's touchy about that...). Hell, in MoS, he wrecks that truck when the owner harasses the waitress and embarrasses him. And a ton of examples from the Golden Age all the way through the rest of the 80 years. He has some fun with it all every now and then.

Last edited by titansupes; 09-18-2016 at 09:19 AM.
titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #70
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post

He spent a good portion of the silver age just punking lana as superboy and lois as superman with the whole clark/superman thing. Heck there is one issue where superman arranges for clark to 'die' just to guilt lois about the way she mistreated him!
The golden age superman seemed to enjoy tormenting and scaring crooks even when he didn't need to, all the while making wise cracks every other panel.
Heck even in superman the movie he lands a yacht in the middle of the city just to show off and then leaves it there for god knows who to actually move it! There was even an cut scene afterwards where kal is apologetic to jor-el for his 'vain' behavior, a wonderful scene that showed superman's more flawed, human side IMO.
Superman has sadly had his fair share of douchy behaviors throughout his nearly 80 years of existence.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #71
titansupes
Side-Kick

I'll even come at it another way-- Going back to that diner was the most Superman-y thing he could do. Judging from the owner and waitresses reactions, the trucker has a reputation for bullying/attacking other customers. Clark give him doing that he did* is showing the guy that he can't get away with crap anymore.

*And let's face it, he didn't exactly WAIL on the guy like people would have us believe. He let the guy hit him (breaking his hand), spun him around and slid him off the counter.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #72
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I'll even come at it another way-- Going back to that diner was the most Superman-y thing he could do. Judging from the owner and waitresses reactions, the trucker has a reputation for bullying/attacking other customers. Clark give him doing that he did* is showing the guy that he can't get away with crap anymore.

*And let's face it, he didn't exactly WAIL on the guy like people would have us believe. He let the guy hit him (breaking his hand), spun him around and slid him off the counter.
And it was hilarious

#TEAM SNYDER
Old 09-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #73
STARMAN
Side-Kick

The presence and likability of Reeve covers up some of the film's sins. Reeve is even good in the outright bad Superman films.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #74
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

I like the move, though some aspects do not hold up, the antagonists (to a certain degree, that being Otis and Teschmacher) and the Deus Ex Machina ending.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #75
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
The presence and likability of Reeve covers up some of the film's sins. Reeve is even good in the outright bad Superman films.
He is and that's a huge part of the reason I even like those "bad" Superman films.

#TEAM SNYDER