The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Do you like the Donner Films because of Nostalgia?
Yes, I was a kid when I first saw them. 6 10.17%
No, I like them because I think they're good movies. 31 52.54%
I liked them as a kid and still like them now, but not because of nostalgia 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #76
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

Yeah. Reeve is the key.

I always liked the first half of S:TM. The second half is weaker but still mostly held together by Reeve.

STARMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #77
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: Do you like Superman: The Movie and/or Superman 2 because of nostalgia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
*And let's face it, he didn't exactly WAIL on the guy like people would have us believe. He let the guy hit him (breaking his hand), spun him around and slid him off the counter.
Language pedant alert! “Wail” means scream or cry. “Whale” (in addition to being the aquatic mammal) means strike or beat.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #78
Predator jp
Slide Kick

i enjoyed them as a kid but now i don't know if i can enjoyed them as much as i did.

Predator jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #79
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
This is true. Polls help keep things in perspective.
Not just here. Other online polls have been very revealing lately e.g. TDKR beating CW on a poll. It just shows how a loud minority can make you think a movie is more disliked than it really is.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #80
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
I won't pretend like I've read every Superman story in his nearly eight-decade-long history, but I've certainly read my fair share. Outside of Elseworld stories, I can't think of any examples of him being selfish or a super-powered ruffian. Yes, there have been stories where he has wondered if his life as a hero is too costly to the world or his loved ones, but never choosing his own happiness over the well-being of the entire world.

I also don't remember him ever having a mean streak where he sought revenge on humans, especially when his own mistakes put him in the bad situation. There have been times when he's been understandably emotional, and even times when he's felt the need to use lethal force (ala Hank Henshaw), but I've never heard of him being SuperBully. I can't even imagine the New 52 Superman, who was often criticized for being arrogant by longtime Supes/ DC fans, lacking a sense of nobility to the point of using his powers to seek revenge.
So your problem is that...Donner Superman isn't like Post Crisis Superman., a version of Superman that wouldn't exist for another 6 years after SII. That's pretty much what I thought.

Superchan and Titansupes pretty summed it up nicely.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #81
Blitzkrieg Boy
Atomic Blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Not just here. Other online polls have been very revealing lately e.g. TDKR beating CW on a poll. It just shows how a loud minority can make you think a movie is more disliked than it really is.
Where is the that poll, do you have a link?

Old 09-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #82
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Boy View Post
Where is the that poll, do you have a link?
Certainly;

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=338

- The Joker
Old 09-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #83
Blitzkrieg Boy
Atomic Blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Thank you.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #84
kguillou
Side-Kick

I think S:TM is mostly a very well made that film that holds up incredibly well. That ending though....man, it just almost derails the film for me each time. I really wish there existed an alternate cut with the original ending Donner had in mind for it.

Last edited by kguillou; 09-18-2016 at 02:37 PM.
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #85
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
True but that happens all the time ways. Folks who like the current films get told the same thing. Might be just part of human nature. Being aware of it though is a good thing so one doesn't fall into that trap.
True as well.

AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #86
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Language pedant alert! “Wail” means scream or cry. “Whale” (in addition to being the aquatic mammal) means strike or beat.

Of course you would be the one to pull me up on that.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #87
childeroland
Side-Kick

Both reasons.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy

Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing. Arya Stark
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #88
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
True but that happens all the time ways.
Of course....similar things like that go down all the time...like when people criticize Amy Adams' Lois, and someone comes in saying stuff like this:

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1&postcount=56

Quote:
Amy Adams was great and the first movie Lois I could actually understand why Clark was attracted too. What is wrong with you guys? Can literally nothing be right?

Last edited by The Batman; 09-18-2016 at 08:22 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #89
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I like them because of Christopher, he made it believable that a guy like that could exist and make underwear on the outside work. Honestly, I could take or leave everyone else (with the exception of Terrance) all the other actors could be replaced; but Christopher was what sold the film. I didn't see this movie as a child ; I think CR was the first Superman I saw or it may have been Dean's.
The Superman movies may have started it all, but they are definitely eclipsed by more recent films.

Last edited by MydnightPhoenix; 09-18-2016 at 08:37 PM.
MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:06 AM   #90
Lantern Venom
Tireless Topher Trasher

Quote:
So your problem is that...Donner Superman isn't like Post Crisis Superman., a version of Superman that wouldn't exist for another 6 years after SII. That's pretty much what I thought.

I'm not sure how you got the idea that I was connecting Post-Crisis Supes and the Donner films. Regardless of that, Donner's Supes doesn't exactly seem to line up with the Golden or Silver Age versions of Kal's story.

IIRC, Pre-Crisis Supes, the son of two scientists from an advanced alien race, was smart enough to build the Fortress of Solitude himself and fill it with inventions like shrink-rays and androids. He didn't chuck crystals to build things or make numbskull decisions like giving away his weaknesses to the public. Granted, continuity for just about all DC books back then was loose and sometimes contradictory, but there is no way to deny that the first two Superman films took liberties. Obviously, I think those changes were unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
I think S:TM is mostly a very well made that film that holds up incredibly well. That ending though....man, it just almost derails the film for me each time. I really wish there existed an alternate cut with the original ending Donner had in mind for it.
The sad thing is that Pre-Crisis Superman's powers increased over time to the point where he could fly through time easily. Having S:TM end with him flying fast enough to open a wormhole would have been canonical and made for a satisfying ending. What makes the ending so bad was the bumbled execution.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #91
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:

but there is no way to deny that the first two Superman films took liberties.
Obviously they did, and that's not what people are arguing. People are arguing your initial statement of Donner and co. being people who "Didn't understand the inner workings of comic books", a statement that grows more and more ridiculous the more your points are rebutted. First, you were shown some of the more OTT things in STM/SII were lifted from the comics. Then, you switched tactics and try to zero in on Superman's behavior in SII....which was a lot like the jerkass behavior he's displayed in Pre-Crisis.

Now, you're trying to zero in on some nitpicks. I really hope that "Comic Superman didn't chuck crystals to build things" isn't one of your crowning evidences of how Donner didn't understand the inner workings of the comics, even though, moreso than not, he obviously got things right. I really hope that "Donner Supes isn't smart like Golden/Silver Age Supes" isn't one either, considering that in STM, we see that he spends 12 years straight learning about info from 28 galaxies, and in SII, he saves the day by outsmarting Zod and co.

That's like saying Nolan didn't "Get" Batman because his Batman didn't build his own stuff or because his Batman didn't do it for ten years straight.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #92
The Joker

Name a good CBM that didn't take some liberties. They all do it.

- The Joker
Old 09-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #93
Lantern Venom
Tireless Topher Trasher

Quote:
Obviously they did, and that's not what people are arguing. People are arguing your initial statement of Donner and co. being people who "Didn't understand the inner workings of comic books", a statement that grows more and more ridiculous the more your points are rebutted..
Sorry that I hit a nerve, but none of my points were rebutted. I realize that the Donner films are revered and can be view as groundbreaking in some aspects, but the flaws have become more clear over time. Perhaps bumbling the main character's intelligence level, reducing his sense of nobility and self control, giving him a visually cheesy origin and powers, missing the mark with the personalities of his main love interest and archenemy, as well as two poor endings are all things you can overlook. For me, all of those add up to a comic book tale that wasn't told as it should have been, but rather poured though a Hollywood sieve that left many of the satisfying elements in limbo.

Last edited by Lantern Venom; 09-19-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #94
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

i dont like it period i am one of the few that dont like the christopher reeve superman movies man of steel was the first superman movie i really liked

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #95
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MydnightPhoenix View Post
I like them because of Christopher, he made it believable that a guy like that could exist and make underwear on the outside work.
Hey, what about Burt Ward?

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #96
Rorschach2012
$

I genuinely love all the 66 Batman costumes. So ****ing accurate and iconic

Obviously they wouldn't hold up today but I love them for what they are and I'm so glad we have such an accurate live action representation of Batman in the 60s.

I love those charts that show live action Batman characters throughout the years

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #97
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Sorry that I hit a nerve, but none of my points were rebutted.
You didn't hit a nerve, and yes they were, whether you're willing to acknowledge it or not.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #98
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Obviously they did, and that's not what people are arguing. People are arguing your initial statement of Donner and co. being people who "Didn't understand the inner workings of comic books", a statement that grows more and more ridiculous the more your points are rebutted. First, you were shown some of the more OTT things in STM/SII were lifted from the comics. Then, you switched tactics and try to zero in on Superman's behavior in SII....which was a lot like the jerkass behavior he's displayed in Pre-Crisis.

Now, you're trying to zero in on some nitpicks. I really hope that "Comic Superman didn't chuck crystals to build things" isn't one of your crowning evidences of how Donner didn't understand the inner workings of the comics, even though, moreso than not, he obviously got things right. I really hope that "Donner Supes isn't smart like Golden/Silver Age Supes" isn't one either, considering that in STM, we see that he spends 12 years straight learning about info from 28 galaxies, and in SII, he saves the day by outsmarting Zod and co.

That's like saying Nolan didn't "Get" Batman because his Batman didn't build his own stuff or because his Batman didn't do it for ten years straight.
I actually liked that about the ending of SMII. Superman couldn't beat the three of them in a straight fight, nor should he have when they had the same powers and outnumbered him 3 to 1. So he had to outthink them. That he used Luthor to do it made it even better.

One of the more satisfying conclusions of any CBM.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #99
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Of course....similar things like that go down all the time...like when people criticize Amy Adams' Lois, and someone comes in saying stuff like this:

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1&postcount=56
Ok, I tried but that's what you got out of it.Thanks you given me perfect clarity Also thanks for making me feel lso justified in all my negative feelings about this place.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #100
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
I gotta admit you're pretty shameless for posting stuff like this.